Wedding 911
Options

Venue rights

Re: Venue rights

• Options
    You know, considering it's gonna be so hot, they should serve iced coffee ... ooohh or frappucinos!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    lyndausvi said:

I lived in the USVI for 15+ years.  I worked on a sailboat. I still consider high-80's-90's hot as balls.  I was always the one looking for shade.  Even on the boat I was always on the shady side.

::shrugs::
    I'm not familiar with what usvi stands for?? In the town we are getting married in, it gets up past 100 during the summer daily. .. so high 80s is nothing. And again, by wedding time it will be closer to mid 80s

• Options
    I lived in the USVI for 15+ years.  I worked on a sailboat. I still consider high-80's-90's hot as balls.  I was always the one looking for shade.  Even on the boat I was always on the shady side.

I'm not familiar with what usvi stands for?? In the town we are getting married in, it gets up past 100 during the summer daily. .. so high 80s is nothing. And again, by wedding time it will be closer to mid 80s
    US Virgin Islands
  • Options

US Virgin Islands.

And what exactly do those people wear when it gets to be that hot?  I am guessing suits and cocktail dresses aren't exactly their go to choice, right?

• Options
    edited October 2015

Oh man, I KNEW the username sounded familiar. Coffee Girl. Good times.

Oh, and BTW - June in Southern CA can be hot as balls, so there is actually a decent chance you WILL need the tents you rented. And considering what the venue is building is more of a permanent canopy than a barn, why not just suck it up and use the structure they are building? It's actually not that ugly... If anything, it would save you money on backup tent rentals.
    I'm actually aware of the weather in so cal. .. lived there all my life. .. should be in the 80s to low 90s.... that's hardly "hot as balls" for anyone who lives there. ..ie, all our guests. .. it will also be in the evening as it starts to cool, so the heat is not much of an issue.

I would rather have to use my back up plan honestly. ... at least those tents are not that bad visually. As I stated before, I called it a "barn" because that is what the venue is calling it. No I don't believe it's a barn, is just an ugly structure with a roof, apparently 2 walls (according to the venue. .. these are not shown in the photo), and some ugly wooden planters along the outside.

Please take a picture of this structure after it is built because I have a funny feeling it won't be nearly as ugly as you are making it out to be.  You are only thinking it is that ugly because you are pissed that your original vision has been compromised.  Time to take the blinders off and realize that things may not be as bad as you are making them seem.

I plan on having my mom make the drive to the property once it's actually up. With living out of state I won't be able to see it until I'm there for the wedding

• Options

lyndausvi said:

US Virgin Islands.

And what exactly do those people wear when it gets to be that hot?  I am guessing suits and cocktail dresses aren't exactly their go to choice, right?

We aren't requiring formal attire from our guests

• Options

US Virgin Islands.

I think you are missing my point.  

Generally when it is that hot people want to wear shorts, tank tops and sandals.  Most people know that that isn't really appropriate attire for a wedding so they will wear cocktail dresses and suits.  So if it is 85+ degrees they are going to be hot as hell.  Look you may want an all outdoor wedding but shade and fans are most likely going to be needed so you better come to terms with needing those tents.

• Options

US Virgin Islands.

How nice of you.

I went to a daytime outdoor wedding in Texas in June.  The groomsmen were wearing slacks, a button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up mid-arm, and vests.  (kind of like this).  I wore a sleeveless maxi dress.  I was drenched in sweat by the end of the 20 minute ceremony & one of the groomsmen passed out. 
  • Options
    One more note about the temps - we went to an outdoor wedding in the coastal range of northern CA at the end of June two years ago. The ceremony was at 5:30. Even in a light, short dress, I was way warmer than was comfortable, and it was probably 85 degrees until about 8pm. Just because YOU think high 80s is comfortable doesn't mean your guests will.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

lyndausvi said:

US Virgin Islands.

Generally when it is that hot people want to wear shorts, tank tops and sandals.  Most people know that that isn't really appropriate attire for a wedding so they will wear cocktail dresses and suits.  So if it is 85+ degrees they are going to be hot as hell.  Look you may want an all outdoor wedding but shade and fans are most likely going to be needed so you better come to terms with needing those tents.

I had already taken that into consideration during the planning. .. the reception is shaded by trees and I have expressed that informal attire is acceptable on our wedding site. The secluded area I'm hoping to use as my new ceremony site is under a very large tree, so it is also very shaded.

• Options

US Virgin Islands.

I had already taken that into consideration during the planning. .. the reception is shaded by trees and I have expressed that informal attire is acceptable on our wedding site. The secluded area I'm hoping to use as my new ceremony site is under a very large tree, so it is also very shaded.
    Yeahhhhh, I went to a wedding once in Northern California.  It was mid-September and low-mid 80s.  The ceremony was in the late afternoon.  The groom was sweating SO MUCH (and I don't think he was nervous).  The ceremony was also under trees.
  • Options
    All of this sounds awful.

I wouldn't give a shit about some weird spiral aisle if I was hot and sweating.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Very shaded when very hot only means your guests won't be sunburned. And yes, while that's one good thing, it's insufficient.

If the outdoor air is warmer than standard room temp then you need to rent air conditioning units and a tent.

If you dont, you'll probably find yourself alone with your groom and your precious vision.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    banana468 said:

Very shaded when very hot only means your guests won't be sunburned. And yes, while that's one good thing, it's insufficient.

If the outdoor air is warmer than standard room temp then you need to rent air conditioning units and a tent.

If you dont, you'll probably find yourself alone with your groom and your precious vision.

LMAO, while I appreciate your concern. I'm not inviting random people to the wedding and I highly doubt the people I am inviting would not show up simply because it's outdoors. And, if they did decline for any reason, that's fine, it's their choice how to spend their day, I'm not going to be butt hurt for people not coming. ... unlike that crazy lady on the news who sent a bill to someone who didn't show lol

• Options

Oh, and BTW - June in Southern CA can be hot as balls, so there is actually a decent chance you WILL need the tents you rented. And considering what the venue is building is more of a permanent canopy than a barn, why not just suck it up and use the structure they are building? It's actually not that ugly... If anything, it would save you money on backup tent rentals.
    I'm actually aware of the weather in so cal. .. lived there all my life. .. should be in the 80s to low 90s.... that's hardly "hot as balls" for anyone who lives there. ..ie, all our guests. .. it will also be in the evening as it starts to cool, so the heat is not much of an issue. I would rather have to use my back up plan honestly. ... at least those tents are not that bad visually. As I stated before, I called it a "barn" because that is what the venue is calling it. No I don't believe it's a barn, is just an ugly structure with a roof, apparently 2 walls (according to the venue. .. these are not shown in the photo), and some ugly wooden planters along the outside.
    I live in Southern California....and 80's to low 90's is way too fucking hot to have an outdoors wedding.  So fucking rude. If I went to an outdoors wedding and it was 92 out, I would definitely be describing it as "hot as balls."  And please, on hot summer days here it cools down to a nice 82, so your argument of "it cools down in the evening," doesn't even stand.  Maybe if your vision didn't trump your guests' comfort, you wouldn't be having all of these problems.  

• Options
    levioosa said:

I'm actually aware of the weather in so cal. .. lived there all my life. .. should be in the 80s to low 90s.... that's hardly "hot as balls" for anyone who lives there. ..ie, all our guests. .. it will also be in the evening as it starts to cool, so the heat is not much of an issue.

I would rather have to use my back up plan honestly. ... at least those tents are not that bad visually. As I stated before, I called it a "barn" because that is what the venue is calling it. No I don't believe it's a barn, is just an ugly structure with a roof, apparently 2 walls (according to the venue. .. these are not shown in the photo), and some ugly wooden planters along the outside.

I live in Southern California....and 80's to low 90's is way too fucking hot to have an outdoors wedding.  So fucking rude. If I went to an outdoors wedding and it was 92 out, I would definitely be describing it as "hot as balls."  And please, on hot summer days here it cools down to a nice 82, so your argument of "it cools down in the evening," doesn't even stand.  Maybe if your vision didn't trump your guests' comfort, you wouldn't be having all of these problems.  

The evenings in this particular area actually cool all the way down to 65 in June. .. every year, according to the almanac. .. for the last 10 years.... pretty same every year. ..85 by 4pm, down to 60s by 9pm. Yes, there are some areas where it doesnt cool down that much, but this is not one of them. I've done quite a bit of research on the weather for the area. .. yes, flukes are possible, which is why the tents were scheduled, as back up

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015

I'm actually aware of the weather in so cal. .. lived there all my life. .. should be in the 80s to low 90s.... that's hardly "hot as balls" for anyone who lives there. ..ie, all our guests. .. it will also be in the evening as it starts to cool, so the heat is not much of an issue. I would rather have to use my back up plan honestly. ... at least those tents are not that bad visually. As I stated before, I called it a "barn" because that is what the venue is calling it. No I don't believe it's a barn, is just an ugly structure with a roof, apparently 2 walls (according to the venue. .. these are not shown in the photo), and some ugly wooden planters along the outside.
    The evenings in this particular area actually cool all the way down to 65 in June. .. every year, according to the almanac. .. for the last 10 years.... pretty same every year. ..85 by 4pm, down to 60s by 9pm. Yes, there are some areas where it doesnt cool down that much, but this is not one of them. I've done quite a bit of research on the weather for the area. .. yes, flukes are possible, which is why the tents were scheduled, as back up
    So cool enough where people may actually get cold?  Because if I lived in an area where it was 85 during the day and then 65 at night I would probably need to bring a change of clothes to your wedding just to make up for that huge temperature difference.

• Options

banana468 said:

LMAO, while I appreciate your concern. I'm not inviting random people to the wedding and I highly doubt the people I am inviting would not show up simply because it's outdoors. And, if they did decline for any reason, that's fine, it's their choice how to spend their day, I'm not going to be butt hurt for people not coming. ... unlike that crazy lady on the news who sent a bill to someone who didn't show lol
    I'm saying that they'll show up and get the hell out of there when they realize that it's too effing hot.

Maybe you have a bunch of guests that like peeling their clothes off at the end of the day. My guests told me they appreciated the AC in the church and INDOOR reception.

Then again, I was silly enough to put their comfort and not a fucking spiral as my priority.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    banana468 said:

banana468 said:

I'm saying that they'll show up and get the hell out of there when they realize that it's too effing hot.

Maybe you have a bunch of guests that like peeling their clothes off at the end of the day. My guests told me they appreciated the AC in the church and INDOOR reception.

Then again, I was silly enough to put their comfort and not a fucking spiral as my priority.
    Ummmm, the spiral idea had been done since day one of this post, maybe you should catch up before treating me like crap about something that isn't even relevant anymore, just a thought. .. and sorry, I can't step foot in a church. .. I'll implode, so church weddings are not an option. While you're wedding was probably amazing for YOU, I don't think putting down other people's wweddings just because it's not something YOU would like is very mature or helpful. Fortunately, you aren't a guest at my wedding, so your lack of joy over an outdoor event doesn't really concern me. People do outdoor weddings ALL THE TIME, nobody has ever died of heat nor have they turned into a nudey fest from stripping guests.

• Options
    mileybangerzmileybangerz member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    Ummmm, the spiral idea had been done since day one of this post, maybe you should catch up before treating me like crap about something that isn't even relevant anymore, just a thought. .. and sorry, I can't step foot in a church. .. I'll implode, so church weddings are not an option. While you're wedding was probably amazing for YOU, I don't think putting down other people's wweddings just because it's not something YOU would like is very mature or helpful. Fortunately, you aren't a guest at my wedding, so your lack of joy over an outdoor event doesn't really concern me. People do outdoor weddings ALL THE TIME, nobody had every died of heat nor have they turned into a nudey fest from stripping guests.
    Elaborate, please.

Also a church is not the only option for an indoor wedding.
  • Options
    Very shaded when very hot only means your guests won't be sunburned. And yes, while that's one good thing, it's insufficient. If the outdoor air is warmer than standard room temp then you need to rent air conditioning units and a tent. If you dont, you'll probably find yourself alone with your groom and your precious vision.
    I'm saying that they'll show up and get the hell out of there when they realize that it's too effing hot. Maybe you have a bunch of guests that like peeling their clothes off at the end of the day. My guests told me they appreciated the AC in the church and INDOOR reception. Then again, I was silly enough to put their comfort and not a fucking spiral as my priority.
    Ummmm, the spiral idea had been done since day one of this post, maybe you should catch up before treating me like crap about something that isn't even relevant anymore, just a thought. .. and sorry, I can't step foot in a church. .. I'll implode, so church weddings are not an option. While you're wedding was probably amazing for YOU, I don't think putting down other people's wweddings just because it's not something YOU would like is very mature or helpful. Fortunately, you aren't a guest at my wedding, so your lack of joy over an outdoor event doesn't really concern me. People do outdoor weddings ALL THE TIME, nobody has ever died of heat nor have they turned into a nudey fest from stripping guests.
    Heat stroke is actually very common in outdoor situations, especially among the very young and the elderly.  It's also fatal for those age groups.  So your idea is not only rude, but it also gives a big fat middle finger to the health and safety of others.  

• Options
    madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    Very shaded when very hot only means your guests won't be sunburned. And yes, while that's one good thing, it's insufficient. If the outdoor air is warmer than standard room temp then you need to rent air conditioning units and a tent. If you dont, you'll probably find yourself alone with your groom and your precious vision.
    I'm saying that they'll show up and get the hell out of there when they realize that it's too effing hot. Maybe you have a bunch of guests that like peeling their clothes off at the end of the day. My guests told me they appreciated the AC in the church and INDOOR reception. Then again, I was silly enough to put their comfort and not a fucking spiral as my priority.
    To the first bolded: Are you a gremlin or something? Will you melt by crossing the threshold of a church? Odd comment aside, Banana wasn't saying you have to have a church wedding. Reading comprehension is your friend.

To the second bolded: So now you're basically saying to us, "You don't know me OR my guests, and my guests won't have a problem with the heat!" Do you realize how many people, on this board and in real life, complain about weddings they have been to? A shit load. 

And of those people, do you know how many actually told the bride or groom about their complaints? Probably close to none, because no one wants to upset their loved ones. So yeah, you will likely have guests who arrive only to find they are uncomfortably hot, and that will probably be what they remember most. But you'll never hear it from them, because they won't want to upset you.

Unless your entire wedding is going to take place on a 70-degree day in the shade, you should really plan to use your backup tents.

And one piece of advice that you may actually listen to: Once this tent/roof thing is constructed at the venue, you may find it's not as bad as you're imagining. Maybe you can ask the venue for photos of other people's weddings to see how they handle the new space. You may get some inspiration.

ETF punctuation
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I totally meant that she had to get married in a church.

Can I get a Liz Lemon eyeroll??
  • Options

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    banana468 said:
    Yeah I totally meant that she had to get married in a church. Can I get a Liz Lemon eyeroll??
    @banana468, I got you girl 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    Heat stroke is actually very common in outdoor situations, especially among the very young and the elderly.  It's also fatal for those age groups.  So your idea is not only rude, but it also gives a big fat middle finger to the health and safety of others.  
    Yep, heat stroke is pretty serious and can lead to organ damage and even death.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    How did I miss this?!?! You're kidding, right? This is the most inane statement I have read on here in a long time. Do you know how many people die of heat right here in the USA every year? It's not a small number.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I meant specifically at an outdoor wedding. ..I'm aware people die of heat stroke in general. Again an 85 degree day is not hot enough to cause heat stroke for maybe an hour until it cools down, unless you are not staying hydrated. There will be 3 children there and 2 people over 55, that's it. All of which are used to being outside in hotter weather than that. So, trust me I have taken them into consideration, there will be plenty of water to stay hydrated, they will not die or end up in the hospital. I'm sure they appreciate you harassing me on their behalf, but it's really not worth your time, because they are going to be just fine

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards