Wedding Etiquette Forum

Should I wear my enagement ring to my bachelorette party?

I LOVE MY RING! It's better than anything I could dream of, and it represents that eternity I'll spend with my sweet FI. Having said that, my friends and I have been planning this girls' trip to Vegas. I got engaged a few months before the trip, and since we're having a relatively short engagement, my friends thought we should celebrate my bach-party in Vegas. I am so, so, so afraid of getting too drunk and losing my e-ring. I've always been paranoid of my rings when I feel them slipping a little. Even if I'm 100% sober, the thought of dancing and losing my ring in the process terrifies me. I really do want to wear my ring (hellooo I've been waiting to get engaged for awhile), but I'm afraid of losing or damaging it. Should I just wear it and be careful or not wear it and leave it at the hotel just for the night? I'd be having this dilemma even if I just went to Vegas to party with my FI. Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• It's a little on the big side, and I should ask my FI if it's insured. I should've mentioned that first.
  • I think you are being paranoid.  If your ring is properly fitted and insured then wear it.  That is kind of the whole point of having a ring...to wear it.

This. Does your ring fit? Yes? Then you'll be fine. No? Then get it sized.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Get it fitted properly before you go. I wear my ring 100% of the time.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • If I get it sized, then I won't be able to take it on the trip. Again, I should've mentioned this in the question.
  • I hen I guess you're out of luck. You should have done that immediately.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • If I get it sized, then I won't be able to take it on the trip. Again, I should've mentioned this in the question.
    Why not? I got my ring sized in like an hour.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Kay Jewelers told me it takes a few weeks.
    Why not? I got my ring sized in like an hour.
    Same here.

• Kay Jewelers told me it takes a few weeks.

Why don't you take it to another jeweler and get it sized? Just bc it was purchased at Kay, doesn't mean it has to be sized there.  Any reputable jeweler can do this fairly quickly.

Thank you! I've read some bad reviews about Kay's customer service, like taking up to 2 months to resize the ring and sending the wrong one back or damaging the frame.
  • Thank you! Cubic zirconium is a great idea.
  • edited November 2015
    I'll give the plastic ring sizers a try. Thanks, girl!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    I LOVE MY RING! It's better than anything I could dream of, and it represents that eternity I'll spend with my sweet FI. Having said that, my friends and I have been planning this girls' trip to Vegas. I got engaged a few months before the trip, and since we're having a relatively short engagement, my friends thought we should celebrate my bach-party in Vegas. I am so, so, so afraid of getting too drunk and losing my e-ring. I've always been paranoid of my rings when I feel them slipping a little. Even if I'm 100% sober, the thought of dancing and losing my ring in the process terrifies me. I really do want to wear my ring (hellooo I've been waiting to get engaged for awhile), but I'm afraid of losing or damaging it. Should I just wear it and be careful or not wear it and leave it at the hotel just for the night? I'd be having this dilemma even if I just went to Vegas to party with my FI. Thanks!
    Honestly, I know you are happy with your ring, but it is just a ring, not your future marriage.  Rings can be stolen, lost, damaged, or worn out.  Don't make your ring more important than it should be.  I have two rings from my late mother that were supposed to represent "eternity" with her ex-husbands.  My sister has the other one.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Honestly, I know you are happy with your ring, but it is just a ring, not your future marriage.  Rings can be stolen, lost, damaged, or worn out.  Don't make your ring more important than it should be.  I have two rings from my late mother that were supposed to represent "eternity" with her ex-husbands.  My sister has the other one.

DH travels a lot for work. He took off his wedding band to wash his hands or put lotion on or something and forgot it. He asked around after he realized he lost it, and no one knew what happened to it. He was scared to tell me. I didn't care. He has a replacement and wears that. NBD.

• CMGragain said:
    Agreed. My Dad lost his original wedding band at work years ago... He wears a replica now that doesn't have the original inscription on the inside. My parents are still married. The marriage doesn't break up if someone loses a ring. 

With that being said, I also agree with PPs... If it's not insured and you're that scared of losing it because it's loose, then you shouldn't even be wearing it.

• CMGragain said:

Agreed. My Dad lost his original wedding band at work years ago... He wears a replica now that doesn't have the original inscription on the inside. My parents are still married. The marriage doesn't break up if someone loses a ring. 

With that being said, I also agree with PPs... If it's not insured and you're that scared of losing it because it's loose, then you shouldn't even be wearing it.

Heck, DH and I have only been married a little over 2 years and he's lost the original ring and his first replacement. If the ring was the marriage I would be screwed.
  • A) Go to a local jeweler and get it resized in ~1 hour for cheaper than Kay would charge you since they don't do sizing in house.

B) Get your ring insured either on its own or as a rider on your renter's or home owner's insurance. Call them asap, it's cheap and easy as pie and it's worth the peace of mind.
  • This may sound a little silly but it may help the OP. My ring fits well. It won't go flying off because it won't go over my knuckle without a firm tug. However, it's a bit loose around the base because, duh, if it was tight around the base it wouldn't fit over the knuckle. It's also heavy so sometimes I feel like it'll fly off, even though technically it can't. 
    If you're gonna go dancing like Elaine (lol to the gif) do what I do sometimes- hold your thumb and ring finger together, kind of like if you were making the "OK" symbol with your ring finger. 
    I also do that if I'm shaking water off my hands or something. It just feels safer. In fact, do a test right now. Shake your hands like Taylor Swift. Is it staying on? You're good. Is it not? Go to a real jeweler. 

• I'd always feel more comfortable wearing my ring than leaving it in a hotel room, btw... If you do decide not to wear it, leave it somewhere secure like in a locked box at your house!
  • Or on a necklace around your neck
  • edited November 2015
    I'd also suggest trying another jeweler, preferably an independent one that does their own work on site. 

My H proposed while we were in Europe, and the ring was big. Since I wasn't able to get it sized until we got back, I wrapped a bandaid around the other side of the ring. It worked in a pinch. But yes, get it properly size and insured! 
  • teddygirl9teddygirl9 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2015

If you are really not able to get it sized, you can wear a small spacer ring next to it (like 1mm) that actually fits. That can 'hold' your ring on. However, I'd probably look around for a more capable jeweler.

I like @climbingwife 's idea of the bandaid on the underside too.

However, if it's not insured, I would not wear it anywhere.

• Absolutely insured!  I insured my ring the first business day after we got engaged... I would definitely not be wearing it out without some protection and piece of mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards