Chit Chat

Another Thanksgiving question

2»

Re: Another Thanksgiving question

• I don't think we've ever had it before 4.  Last year, I was at TGI Friday's, which I loved, but this year we're cooking.  I'm in the 1% percentile who really does not care for a turkey dinner. 
    I actually don't like Thanksgiving dinner at all very much.  But everyone else around me does, so I make it and just pick at it.... I do like turkey sammiches afterwards though.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I don't think we've ever had it before 4.  Last year, I was at TGI Friday's, which I loved, but this year we're cooking.  I'm in the 1% percentile who really does not care for a turkey dinner. 
    I actually don't like Thanksgiving dinner at all very much.  But everyone else around me does, so I make it and just pick at it.... I do like turkey sammiches afterwards though.
    I think my favorite part is the potatoes and then the turkey soup my Mom makes afterwards. I need to get her recipe since we're making a turkey this year, I want soup too.

I think my family usually eats around mid afternoon, 2 - 3. But my parents haven't hosted on actual Thanksgiving day in a few years. This year we're hosting H's family on Thanksgiving, we'll eat around 2 because SIL and BIL-to-be need to go to BIL's family for supper.

How does a convection oven influence turkey cooking? I'm pretty sure our ovens are convection. I've never cooked a big bird before so I'm looking for all the advice I can get.
    I don't like Thanksgiving food either. It was always just our immediate family growing up and only 3 out of the 5 of us would eat turkey so eventually it changed to pizza and then chik fil-a nuggets. Mom would cook a small turkey breast bc dad would pout otherwise haha.  H and I are hosting this year and doing ham bc H is allergic to poultry so that makes it 2 out of 6 who would eat turkey so we're good to keep avoiding it.  I'm not a fan of the sides either, or the traditional desserts. I'll have some ham and mashed potatoes and that's about it.
  • Tday food is just so boring to me.  I saw this and would loooove to do something like this, but everyone would revolt LOL http://www.saveur.com/article/Menu/A-Mexican-Inspired-Thanksgiving?TvoPugzmS60d3Fbx.32  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Depends who is cooking and how much people are day drinking - When we host, we aim for 3-4pm sit-down time. One time, though, when we had a Friendsgiving, we got drunk early in the day and ended up not eating until after 5pm. But we didn't burn the house down while deep frying the turkey, so that was a plus.

When I was younger, if my dad hosted, we would eat at 5 or 6 (he normally eats dinner around 9pm because he has no sense of time). We're going to MIL's this year. It's the first year we have spent Thanksgiving at her house in the five years we have been together. She's an amazing cook, and pretty organized, so I am guessing we'll eat around 4.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been going to my inlaws for Thanksgiving since 2012. I usually start the day by helping my MIL assemble empanadas, and I'm the official taste tester of my FIL's sangria- there are several pictures of me at 11AM on Thanksgiving with a glass!

Once people start coming over, the appetizers come out. There's the empanadas, shrimp in garlic sauce, cold cuts, spring rolls made by DH's step-grandmother, Chinese spare ribs and chicken wings from DH's grandfather, etc... just tons of food. My BIL who is a chef usually has some sort of new dish he's experimenting with too! At the same time, the turkey, pork shoulder (they call it a ben-ee, spelled phonetically because I have no idea the real spelling), and the prime rib are cooking, and we all sit down for dinner around 6.. all 30 or so of us! It's the only time DH's family all gets together, and he has a ton of cousins close to our age so it's really fun! I don't really have any cousins my age so it's a total flip for me.

Back in May I went to China with a bunch of DH's family and took a lot of video, so I'm working really hard on putting together a video for everyone of our trip to show next week.
  • I'm by myself this Thanksgiving.  DH is working and most of the people we hang out with are working too.  The others are OOT this year.  

The last year my parents and aunt were here.  The year before that I went to my sister's without my DH.  Before that we went to a friend's house OOT.  Year before that I was in the island with my family.   As you can see I do not have a tradition when it comes to t-day.

I want to get a turkey breast, but DH says no, he will just bring leftovers from the club.   At least I will get my white bread, turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce sandwiches to eat for a few days.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • There is no cooking in the Jells household and we don't have any family nearby. Mr. Jells runs in our local Turkey Trot and then we do dinner at Ruth's Chris at 3pm.

• I prefer turkey dinner in the early afternoon.   I like eating the big meal, then be completely lazy, yet some how still able to graze for the rest of the day/night.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Ours is usually at 3 or 4.  Considering we'll now have an infant at the table, I'm not sure if / how that will impact the schedule.  Last year we had some neighbors come over, so there was a scheduled serving time.  This year (as far as I know), it's just our family, so it will probably happen when everything is ready.
  • @kvruns how funny. My H is only allergic to turkey, not chicken. We have to do the ham as well.

• When getting together with family, the meal is always at 12. Then everyone just relaxes in the afternoon, plays a card game or watches tv, then we have leftovers for supper at 5.

Now that I live away from most family (it's just my brother and his family that line near), we get together with them, and it's more laid back. Usually eat around 1 or 2, then that's it, no supper or anything.
  • Really depressing time of year for me.  My kids are 2000 miles away.  Most people are with their families.  We haven't found any Thanksgiving orphans to adopt this year.  Bummer.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Really depressing time of year for me.  My kids are 2000 miles away.  Most people are with their families.  We haven't found any Thanksgiving orphans to adopt this year.  Bummer.
    :(  If you were in the Austin area, we'd invite you to join our family!  I hope you find some good way to celebrate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards