Not Engaged Yet

It's TUESDAY!

Re: It's TUESDAY!

• @cocobellaf @twodimes @labro - All fair points. Maybe we are worried about nothing but I still don't see the harm in making the request and if people ignore it then it shouldn't be an issue because of everything you guys are saying. 
  • jenjen047 said:
    @cocobellaf @twodimes @labro - All fair points. Maybe we are worried about nothing but I still don't see the harm in making the request and if people ignore it then it shouldn't be an issue because of everything you guys are saying. 
    We just don't want you to be That Bride.  Ya know?  :)
  • TwoDimes said:
    labro said:
    @jenjen047 It is RUDE to make the request period. I think you're still missing that point. I'm not trying to be a bitch about this, but it's wrong.
    Agreed. I do think it's one of the lesser etiquette breaches, but it is still rude. You said you "didn't see the harm" in making the announcement. Well, the harm is: it's rude to insinuate that adults don't know how to act. Just as it's rude to specify a dress code, or list a registry on an invitation. Adults know how to dress and buy gifts. Adults know how to act around photographers, too. 
    Thirded.

• @labro - I'm sorry, I just don't see how it's rude to say "please refrain from taking photos during the ceremony". I get that you shouldn't tell adults how to act, but in my opinion that rule only goes so far. If someone's phone kept going off during the ceremony are we all supposed to just ignore it because we might offend an adult by asking them to silence their cell phone? I'd say no.

This is one of those things that you can't really say for sure is a problem until after the fact, and then it's too late to change it. Yes, hopefully my photographer will do her best to get the crucial shots she needs. But unfortunately some of these moments are just that: a moment. So she can snap a million photos a second but if someone is standing in front of her for that entire second she will still miss the shot or it will be off centered, etc.

• jenjen047 said:
    @labro - I'm sorry, I just don't see how it's rude to say "please refrain from taking photos during the ceremony". I get that you shouldn't tell adults how to act, but in my opinion that rule only goes so far. If someone's phone kept going off during the ceremony are we all supposed to just ignore it because we might offend an adult by asking them to silence their cell phone? I'd say no.

This is one of those things that you can't really say for sure is a problem until after the fact, and then it's too late to change it. Yes, hopefully my photographer will do her best to get the crucial shots she needs. But unfortunately some of these moments are just that: a moment. So she can snap a million photos a second but if someone is standing in front of her for that entire second she will still miss the shot or it will be off centered, etc.

No, because if the person just ignores it and lets it ring, they're being rude and irresponsible so you would have every right to say something. This is apples and oranges. 

If you want to be rude by demanding no phones/cameras at your ceremony then obviously nothing anyone can say here is going to change it. 

• @CocoBellaF - Apples are the best! On Saturday I went with FI's family on their annual Christmas tradition of getting coffee at this cute little coffee shop downtown and order the best freaking apple cider of my life!

• wink0erin said:
    Sidenote: I am listening to the Wicked soundtrack at work because I couldn't get the song Defying Gravity out of my head all last night and this morning. 

Such a good song.  I wish I could sing half as good as that.

Anniversary

• I need that apple cider in my life, @bethsmiles !!
  • @twodimes - Not just from that article. It started at my cousin's wedding in June when people were stepping into the aisle to take pictures of the bride being handed off by her dad, the first kiss, etc. My main fear is really just that one of these key moments will be obscured by a guest. And since they are such brief moments, I don't see how any photographer (no matter how good) would have time to re-position or ask someone to move without completely missing the shot. I'm also not trying to ignore or disrespect the time anyone is taking to reply to this post, nor do I not trust your (general you) judgement. Sometimes friends can disagree, though.

@bethsmiles - Unfortunately I have been to a wedding where guests were stepping out into the aisle, and at least some of those same guests will be at my wedding.

@wink0erin - You've basically captured my thought process. Maybe I am naive but I don't think one short announcement will offend anyone, and if it deters some people and/or makes people be more sneaky about it then everyone wins. I'm not going to kick people out if they are taking pictures or stop the ceremony to publicly scold them. It's just a simple request, like asking guests to please use coasters when they come over to your house for dinner.

I really do appreciate everyone's input and I hate to stir up trouble. :(

• @jenjen047 - You could put something along the chairs on the aisle side so that people have to use the outsides to get in/out of the rows. 

Something like this maybe: 

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    I guess I just don't understand not caring about being rude to your guests. I don't think people will necessarily be offended, but I think people will be annoyed and probably roll their eyes and judge you for it. Also, clearly your FILs are already annoyed by the idea of it.

If people stepping out into the aisle really will be a problem, you can use decor to deter it. Something like this is more likely to stop people from stepping into the aisle than telling people not to take pictures.

ETA: @Swazzle - Great minds think alike! Your picture is way better than mine though!

• @swazzle - That is an excellent idea! I will run that by FI tonight. Thanks!
  • Thank God we have @Swazzle and @bethsmiles here to remind us of all the ways to get around insane guests. :)

@jenjen047 Obviously we're all still friends! It's not like you quit responding and have been sulking ever since! <3

• labro said:
    Thank God we have @Swazzle and @bethsmiles here to remind us of all the ways to get around insane guests. :)

@jenjen047 Obviously we're all still friends! It's not like you quit responding and have been sulking ever since! <3

• jenjen047 said:
    @twodimes - Not just from that article. It started at my cousin's wedding in June when people were stepping into the aisle to take pictures of the bride being handed off by her dad, the first kiss, etc. My main fear is really just that one of these key moments will be obscured by a guest. And since they are such brief moments, I don't see how any photographer (no matter how good) would have time to re-position or ask someone to move without completely missing the shot. I'm also not trying to ignore or disrespect the time anyone is taking to reply to this post, nor do I not trust your (general you) judgement. Sometimes friends can disagree, though.
    This is a cop out. You're literally hearing the same thing from everyone here - and that's that it's rude and a terrible idea. Not one person has said that this is even SLIGHTLY a good idea. Respecting the fact that everyone is telling you to rethink this would be "you know, maybe I should talk about this with FI because they've all made some good points." But instead, you are convinced that your photographer (who I'm assuming you hired based on their talents) are going to miss important "moments." They aren't going to miss these moments. I promise. 

My (single) photographer took pictures of our ceremony from behind the entire crowd, so literally everyone at the wedding was "in front" of the moment. It's one of my most favorite pictures from the ceremony (I even got it printed on a canvas.)

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @jenna8984 Oh no, that's awful! Knowing things like that could happen is another reason why I could never get in that business on my own. So many opportunities for equipment failure. 

• @labro, congrats on the weight loss and present wrapping!

@cu97tiger, I'm glad you finally know whether you're moving.

@twodimes, congrats, soon-to-be auntie!

@minskat30, I'm glad Raj is feeling better!

@jenjen047, for what it's worth, one of the most fun things H and I did the morning after the wedding was hit Facebook and see who had posted pictures already. We had no toasts, for what it's worth - prayer from the pastor right before dinner and H and I (read: I) thanked everyone for coming.
    ---
    Last night I took @cocobellaf's advice and ate a pint of Chocolate Therapy Ben & Jerry's ice cream. I felt worse afterwards. Next time I eat a pint of ice cream, I'm making it a fruit flavor. (She says as though that makes it healthier.)

Tonight I'm going to study a little for my accounting final tomorrow and then H and I are going to Mockingjay, quick before it gets pulled from the theaters for Star Wars.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards