Totes. Bae. Convo. Like*

*I mean like, stop like, saying like in like, every like sentence

• Options
    Fleek. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Any unnecessary abbrevation of a word. Totes, adorbs, redic,

• Options
    Bae really needs to go away. It was even worse to me once I realized that it actually stands for "before anything else". And here I was thinking it was just the lazy way of saying "babe". Silly me.

Also, adulting or any form of the word.
    I also thought it was an abbreviation of babe.
    I thought it was babe as well.

In 2016 can people finally stop using "legit" as an adverb? It annoys the hell out of me!
  • Options
    Quadruple agree on "Bae". I also thought it was babe. 

Same with fleek. I don't even know what that means! 
  • Options
    "NEW YEAR, NEW [whatever]!!"

Hate, hate, hate. 

• Options
    Bae, yes.  Never even heard of Fleek!

• Options

Fleek is a new one to me. What does it mean?

Like another PP, "adulting" is annoying and similar phrases like a commercial last night that said "because football" as if that is a complete sentence. #becausepizza #becausebacon  (I have no idea if those last 2 are real but it sounds good)

• Options
    Fleek means "on point." So if you say "Her eyebrows are on fleek!"  You are basically saying that her eyebrows are perfect.

So in conclusion, the word fleek needs to go away and I need to stop watching so much Keeping up with the Kardashians because this is why I know this shit.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I've never heard the terms bae or fleek.

Consider yourself very fortunate.

Fleek is usually used similarly to "on point". Example: "that outfit is on fleek". Bae is so stupid that it doesn't even deserve an explanation.

• Options
    my eyebrows are totes on fleek today. For serious. (i hate that one too) 

Oh i also hate when something is funny and people say "dead" as in "oh my goodness that's so funny I'm dying" but without even smiling. 
  • Options
    "breakfast muffins".

Seems like every third person on facebook is posting some stupid buzzfeed video of cutting a hole in a piece of bread, sticking it in a muffin pan and putting an egg and some sprinkle cheese on top and baking them. Just make an egg sandwich!!

• Options
    lnixon8 said:
    "breakfast muffins".

Seems like every third person on facebook is posting some stupid buzzfeed video of cutting a hole in a piece of bread, sticking it in a muffin pan and putting an egg and some sprinkle cheese on top and baking them. Just make an egg sandwich!!
    ha.  Yesterday on Lifehacker they had an article on an "easier" way to make pasta.       The comments were hilarious.   Some were " Do we really need a hack for to cook pasta?  How hard is it to put a pot of water on a stove/range, let it reach the boiling point and thrown in the pasta for 6-9 mins (or whatever the package says)?"    One poster's hack was putting it the microwave for 18 minutes.    Is that really easier?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    lyndausvi said:
    lnixon8 said:
    "breakfast muffins".

ha.  Yesterday on Lifehacker they had an article on an "easier" way to make pasta.       The comments were hilarious.   Some were " Do we really need a hack for to cook pasta?  How hard is it to put a pot of water on a stove/range, let it reach the boiling point and throw in the pasta for 6-9 mins (or whatever the package says)?"    One poster's hack was putting it the microwave for 18 minutes.    Is that really easier?

I don't understand pasta hacks either.  I saw one once where they said to just put it in cool tap water for 4 hours or something crazy.  Then pour some boiling water over the pasta to re-heat it when ready to eat.  Why not just boil the water and cook it, per the instructions?  You still needed boiling water for the pasta!
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    I have a 16-year-old so she keeps me up on all these annoying phrases. Bae is out now for her. She definitely uses "on fleek". And lately to say that her makeup is really great she says she "beat her face." It is weird.
    Now THIS is a new one for me.... that's such a weird thing to say.

• Options
    Bae, - AF, can't even, dead, on fleek, literally (every other phrase). I just had a call where the guy actually said, "BAE, you can't leave me, I can't even! I literally can't even! BAE!!!! Y'all gotta give her that wake-em-up stuff." 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AF means "as fuck," right? If I'm right, that expression has worried me how mainstream it's gotten. "It's funny AF!" "Her outfit is on fleek AF!"
    Superfluous emphasis where proper English would be better- "It's hilarious!" or "Her outfit is perfect!"

• Options
    scribe95 said:

Yeah I looked it up and found this: In the drag queen world, to “beat your face” means to put on a large amount of makeup to contour your face

THats funny. it sounds like something my dad would say because he always disliked mom and us girls or anyone wearing lots of eye shadow, lparticularly black, blue, green and purple because he said it made us look like our dad, husband or boyfriend beat us up.
  • Options
    I agree with AF, bae, fleek, and others mentioned here. The word going around my middle school all the time is "savage". Two girls got in a fight, one was a savage. The test was so hard for was a savage. Dumb. I'm also sick of the Whip song, and Hit the Quan. I'm in a middle school setting though so those may not be everywhere.

I'm personally really sick of all the Keep Calm and... It's definitely died down some, but hasn't gone away yet.
  • Options
    @maggie0829 another completely obnoxious Kardashian saying is bible. Like when one of them says they are pregnant again and the other says no you're not! And instead of saying something like "you swear to God?" they just say "bible?". And the other confirms "bible!". Ugh I'm so glad that one hasn't really made it mainstream yet because it can die with all the others listed here.

• Options
    Honestly, I think 'bae' has been around a while, as the abbreviation for babe. I'm from Louisiana and I specifically remember my mother calling my dad that for years when I was little and a lot of family members still use it. Recently, however, some idiots turned it into an acronym just to piss the world off. Maybe. Just a guess. 
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @maggie0829 another completely obnoxious Kardashian saying is bible. Like when one of them says they are pregnant again and the other says no you're not! And instead of saying something like "you swear to God?" they just say "bible?". And the other confirms "bible!". Ugh I'm so glad that one hasn't really made it mainstream yet because it can die with all the others listed here.
    Oh my god, yes!  That has always annoyed me.

• Options
    I'm guilty of on fleek and proud of it!  There's no better term to describe what the Benefit Brow Bar does for me and my native american unibrow).

My New Years resolution is to Lean In harder, so I need to eliminate just, things  and hopefully.
  • Options
    I work with teenagers, so I am very guilty of using all the trendy lingo. I judge myself. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    "Ride or Die".  A FB friend of mine (former coworker) posted the other day some pics of her kids and said "These are my ride or dies".   Ummm pretty sure that phrase doesn't mean what you think it means.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I guess I'm the odd one out because I don't have/have never had issues with slang words. I like how language evolves and changes, goes through trends and is influenced by other cultures (a lot of the words that are "mainstream" now have been commonplace in African American communities for years- bae, fleek etc). I particularly like when old words come back with altered meanings- savage as on PP mentioned is a good one.

Honestly I'd rather uptight-ness about colloquial speech (formal and workplace settings are a whole different ballpark, though honestly they still present some of the same issues wherein the normal speech patterns of minority communities are overwhelmingly the ones targeted as undesirable) go away than any slang words.

ETA because I'm afraid my response sounds dick-ish: I totally get that everyone has phrases, slang or not, that just irrationally annoy them. Just offering up a different perspective on why I like a lot of the phases that a trendy at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards