Budget Weddings Forum

Reception with family & bridal party only?

I'm having a destination wedding in Bahamas in a couple of months. We are still debating on the location of the reception and cost is a huge factor for the reception. As private dinner requires additional cost per person and site rental fee, we are considering a semi-private dinner at one of their restaurant. HOWEVER, the semi-private dinner at the restaurant can only accommodate up to 40 people max. We have about 42-45. 

My question is, would it be "inconsiderate" (or whatever word you want to use) if we were to have cocktail hours/reception for all our guest and dinner with our family and bridal party only? 

Re: Reception with family & bridal party only?

• Agree with PPs and answered you on Etiquette.  Please put "XP" in all of your post titles... looks like this one is posted at least 3 times.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    ALL guests must be treated equally on your wedding day.  No exceptions.
    Why the hell are you planning a destination wedding if you can't afford it?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • See my answer over in your duplicate post.

• Yeah, that's not cool to do.  Since you're already planning a destination wedding did you consider just inviting family / bridal party (who I would think would be your closest friends) to the wedding in the Bahamas and then having a larger reception for more people back in your home town?

I've known at least four couples who went this route with a private ceremony somewhere exotic and then a reception back home.  Reception might not be the best word because they weren't as structured or formal as receptions that immediately follow a ceremony, but were a chance for the couple to celebrate their marriage with a wider circle.
  • Anyone invited to the wedding gets invited to the reception. It is simply proper etiquette, and the right thing to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards