Wedding Party

Sister is trying to get pregnant and is my MOH!

2»

Re: Sister is trying to get pregnant and is my MOH!

• I'm not understanding why you're flipping out over something that may not even happen.       And it does, your focus should be on your sister's health and not on whether or not she's your MOH. 

So yeah, I think it's absolutely crappy to try to demote people ever.   To demote over a pregnancy?   Really shitty.   To demote over a pregnancy that DOESN'T EVEN EXIST YET??? - yeah.   Are there any other things that you want to freak out about in advance?  
  • Well thanks for the sarcastic ass hole comments. I thought the reason for this community was for advice? I haven't made any decisions, the reason I asked! I appreciate those who are being sincere and I am excited to be an aunt! it's crazy how people comment about it being "your big day so screw what anyone else wants" but when it comes to children it's a whole different story. I want a MOH...period. Her life choices take precedence over mine or atleast my want for a MOH on my big day? I just don't understand how some of you say "oh no MOH no big deal"...it is a big deal because it's my wedding...
    The fact that you are upset that you won't have a MOH instead of the fact that your sister might not be there speaks volumes about you. So does the bolded. That's a terrible philosophy. 

BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic. You are being incredibly selfish. You're actually considering doing irreparable damage to your relationship with your sister because she is not scheduling her life around your wedding. Get a grip. 
    So much this. Disgusting.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Get excited if it happens ... being an aunt is so much fun!!!
    Truth. I love babies! More babies!
  • What if she gets pregnant this month?  Will you allow children at the wedding?

• sarahufl said:

Get excited if it happens ... being an aunt is so much fun!!!

How's yours coming along, @sarahufl ?
  • Get excited if it happens ... being an aunt is so much fun!!!
    @holyguacamole79 - good! Thanks for asking :) 30 weeks now, but measuring ahead. Feeling....giant....
  • sarahufl said:

sarahufl said:

@holyguacamole79 - good! Thanks for asking :) 30 weeks now, but measuring ahead. Feeling....giant....

Aww, I'm sure you look fabulous! Hope the last few weeks go smoothly!
  • Congrats on getting engaged and starting the planning process. The idea of planning a wonderful day can really do all sorts of crazy to the most normal of brides. I think it normal to be upset about your sister's plans, but acting on them would be selfish. I think you need to take a moment to step back and think about what you would like and what is possible. Perhaps the Vegas wedding is still possible but perhaps you might want to consider alternatives so that your sister doesn't have to travel? Consider a honeymoon to Vegas?
  • This is certainly a new one. I've never heard of someone preemptive ly kicking her own sister out of a wedding because she might get pregnant.

And as for the extra money if they end up not being able to attend, I had 10 guests RSVP yes who were no shows on the wedding day, so other people, not just your sister and her husband, could possibly be costing you that money as well. It's just a risk everyone takes with guests.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    This is certainly a new one. I've never heard of someone preemptive ly kicking her own sister out of a wedding because she might get pregnant.

And as for the extra money if they end up not being able to attend, I had 10 guests RSVP yes who were no shows on the wedding day, so other people, not just your sister and her husband, could possibly be costing you that money as well. It's just a risk everyone takes with guests.
    The bolded is SO true - we had a few "maybe" RSVPs, so we just counted them as though they were attending. We ended up over-paying by probably three people, and that's just the way weddings go.

As for the OP: My best friend was accepted to grad school in Australia a month after I asked her to be my MOH, and then she found out exam week was the week before my wedding. There was a very real chance that she would not be able to make it for the wedding. Of course I was disappointed, but never once did I consider kicking her out of the wedding party. In the end she was able to get back a few days before the wedding, and I was just happy to have here there!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • whoabetherswhoabethers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2016
    Well thanks for the sarcastic ass hole comments. I thought the reason for this community was for advice? I haven't made any decisions, the reason I asked! I appreciate those who are being sincere and I am excited to be an aunt! it's crazy how people comment about it being "your big day so screw what anyone else wants" but when it comes to children it's a whole different story. I want a MOH...period. Her life choices take precedence over mine or atleast my want for a MOH on my big day? I just don't understand how some of you say "oh no MOH no big deal"...it is a big deal because it's my wedding...

The people on these forums are VERY honest and are not the type to say things to make brides feel better. Sometimes it stings, but generally I think it's the unbiased advice we brides-to-be need! The mindset of "it's my day!" doesn't fly around here.

I can understand why you're upset about the timing of everything. It is still your wedding, and it is supposed to be special. That said, I think that if your initial choice for MOH is your sister and she can't make it, you shouldn't have a MOH. I think it's a non-transferable title. Obviously she will be at your wedding if she can.

Look at it from her perspective - wouldn't it be kind of shitty if she was complaining to people that you were getting married the same time she was trying to have kids, and why can't you just wait to get married until later? Technically, either one of you could change your life events for the other, but neither of you should have to.

*EDIT*

GAHHHH! Sorry, I didn't realize this thread was already several weeks old. I was on a roll reading through everything and got carried away! 
  • sarahufl said:
    I have nieces and nephews from early 20s to 1 year (most are really my cousins' kids, my brother and SIL have a 12-year-old and a 5-year-old). Being an aunt is awesome! When you meet that little one, you'll say, "Why was I so worried?"
  • drmarinerdrmariner member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2016
    The way this is written it sounds like the OP is more upset about the MOH title than whether her sister will be at the wedding in any capacity.  Take a deep breath and a step back and think about that. MOH is a special person not a prop.  

I just found out my closest female friend, who would have been my maid-of-honor and gotten ready with me morning of, will be deployed on my wedding day.  My closest male friend is trying to get pregnant with his wife and our wedding is in an area affected by Zika. This after we located our wedding in this region to make it easier for my military friends to get permission to travel. I'm just plain sad. Sad that they won't be there.
  • drmariner said:
    The way this is written it sounds like the OP is more upset about the MOH title than whether her sister will be at the wedding in any capacity.  Take a deep breath and a step back and think about that. MOH is a special person not a prop.  

I just found out my closest female friend, who would have been my maid-of-honor and gotten ready with me morning of, will be deployed on my wedding day.  My closest male friend is trying to get pregnant with his wife and our wedding is in an area affected by Zika. This after we located our wedding in this region to make it easier for my military friends to get permission to travel. I'm just plain sad. Sad that they won't be there.
    Look at the date of the last post honey, this horse is dead.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards