Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Sand Ceremony

2»

Re: Sand Ceremony

• CMGragain said:
    There is nothing wrong with doing a sand ceremony at your wedding if this is what you want to do.  Just be aware that it is often done at weddings.
    I am assuming that you are not having a Catholic or Orthodox ceremony, because it wouldn't be allowed at those ceremonies.
    It depends on the Catholic parish. My daughter had a unity candle ceremony at her wedding so they might have allowed a sand ceremony. They would need to check with their parish priest and/or wedding coordinator.
    Yep.  The church where I got married said no unity candle.  I've been to numerous weddings where the unity candle is used.  I highly doubt a priest would be open to a unity sand ceremony, though.
  • edited February 2016
    CMGragain said:
    There is nothing wrong with doing a sand ceremony at your wedding if this is what you want to do.  Just be aware that it is often done at weddings.
    I am assuming that you are not having a Catholic or Orthodox ceremony, because it wouldn't be allowed at those ceremonies.
    It depends on the Catholic parish. My daughter had a unity candle ceremony at her wedding so they might have allowed a sand ceremony. They would need to check with their parish priest and/or wedding coordinator.
    Some priests bend the rules.

Back in the 70s when candle ceremonies became popular, my friend had a candle ceremony at her wedding, but it wasn't a unity ceremony. Her mother and the groom's mother had saved their baptismal candles. The priest allowed the couple to light them from a central candle as a reminder of their baptisms. Or maybe it was vice versa. They may have lit the central candle from their baptismal candles to signify that marriage is a sacrament. The set up looked exactly like a unity candle set. 

• I do think it's a good point for someone to reflect on why they want one, but overall, I'm with @AddieCake on this one. In the end, if someone wants one just because? Fine. Whatever.

As a guest, I really don't give a shit as long as it doesn't take forever and make the ceremony super long.

The only unity ceremonies to which I always say "skip it" are ones that include kids or others who aren't part of the couple getting married. Just no on all of those.

Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The sand ceremony may not be unique but I think it is sweet and will leave me with a lasting memory.  I have always liked them at other weddings and have several friends who have sand jars on display.  So for myself, I plan on taking part in one.

• OP, I know you've already taken on some good advice and I just wanted to add my two cents...I am not against a unity ceremony as long as it a) doesn't take forever and b) means something to you and your FI.  I have been to weddings that did the sand ceremony and it wasn't all that moving because the couple did not look interested and there was no reason given for it. It just felt like "I wanted to do something, but didn't know what, so we did this."  Now I don't really care that they did it, and I don't go around shit talking them for it, but for me personally it was kind of a "Huh, why did they do that?" moment.

As far as "less traditional" unity ceremonies go (outside of candles and sand) I have witnessed the "tying of the hands" (which can be very pretty) and I have witnessed the couple planting a tree using the dirt from their homes.  All of these options (traditional and otherwise) were awesome because the significance was explained!

• My FI and I are doing a sand ceremony, but we are also getting married on the beach.  Instead of us pouring sand to represent the unity of us as a couple we are having our families pour sand from the beach to represent our foundation then FI and I will place something that represents us individually & as a couple on top of our foundation. We are having a small, family only ceremony and wanted to incorporate them into our ceremony. Using the sand from the beach will make it a nicertain keepsake (which I do intend to display).
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards