Chit Chat

Irrational/rational annoyances 02-03-16

Re: Irrational/rational annoyances 02-03-16

• I have several IOs but probably mostly because I am PMSing.

I'm annoyed that I always ask H if he needs me to pick up anything on my way home from work, but he never asks me if I need anything. So it always ends up that I have an extra stop on my hour commute home. Arrrrggghhhh.

I get annoyed when people say "all the sudden" instead of the grammatically correct "all of a sudden." 

I get annoyed that any conversation with SIL and/or BIL involves them talking about their children's bowel movements. We don't tell you about ours - so please refrain from telling us about theirs. So gross.

I also get annoyed that any convo with same SIL/BIL means that I have to listen to them referring to each other as Mom and Dad and FIL/MIL as Nana and Papa. I am not calling my BIL & SIL Dad or Mom. And I am most certainly not calling my MIL and FIL Nana or Papa. This is not Little House on the Freaking Prairie.
    Ugh that reminds me of my FFIL. He is always talking about how his "guts were grumbling all night". I don't need to know about your bodily functions!

My IA is that my coworker, who I have to cover for when she leaves her desk, always tacks the phrase "a minute" onto every explanation about why she's leaving the desk. So I hear "going to the back a minute" instead of "for a minute". I have no idea why she dropped the word. She will add this phrase onto sentences that it makes no sense with. She also will say "I need to go the bathroom" rather than "be right back". I feel like a schoolteacher giving her permission. She's old enough to be my mother! I don't need to know that you're peeing a lot today! Just leave it out of the conversation. She also says stuff like "I'm not feeling well today so I'll be going to the bathroom a lot". TMI!
  • lyndausvi said:
    I'm on a roll at work.

Caller "Are you kid friendly?    Because i'm trying to book a room for 4 adults and 3 kids and it will not let me"

Me: "I'm sorry you are having problems, however the max occupancy of our rooms is 6 people."

Caller:  "so you do not like kids at your place?  It works when I do not put the kids."

Me:   "no, the maximum amount of guests is 6, regardless of their ages.  You have 7 people so are unable to book just 1 room.  You will need 2 rooms."

Caller "So you are saying it's not a kid friendly place"

Yep, that is exactly what I'm saying.     

A few weeks back I had someone say they saw our max occupancy is 6.  They have 10 people would that be a problem?      WTF?  Yes, it's a problem.  There is this thing called a fire code.
    People are so dense.

• I have one today. Both DH and I have birthdays this week, so yippy, I get to renew our car tags. 

DH drives a leaf. I did not know this until just now, but there is an additional $200 alternative fuel vehicle charge for electric vehicles. Presumably, it's because he doesn't buy gas (which includes a tax to pay for roads), but still. I'm annoyed to have to pay it and annoyed that I didn't know about it until today. 
  • edited February 2016
    I just got a bunch of loan audit forms in the mail to fill out, but the audit company whited out all of the customer identifying information. Like, seriously? How on earth do you expect me to fill out audit forms if I don't know what loans they're for?????

I just can't today.

ETA words. because today sucks.

• I have one today. Both DH and I have birthdays this week, so yippy, I get to renew our car tags. 

DH drives a leaf. I did not know this until just now, but there is an additional $200 alternative fuel vehicle charge for electric vehicles. Presumably, it's because he doesn't buy gas (which includes a tax to pay for roads), but still. I'm annoyed to have to pay it and annoyed that I didn't know about it until today. 

Interesting @MyNameIsNot.  Did not know that about the car!  And yes, very frustrating!

Either of those bday's fall on Feb 5th?  I have two friends who have birthday's on the 2nd and 3rd and then FI's is the 5th.  Plus I'm buying stuff for valentine's day (not a lot, it's a low key holiday for us) and my niece has her 1st birthday on the 17th.  Expensive month!

• emmaaa said:
    I keep getting annoyed every time people announce they're pregnant. I know I should be happy for them but DH and I have been trying (only for 5 months so I shouldn't feel this way at all) and aren't pregnant. One of my best friends had her son in January and DH's best friend's wife is due in July and both were "accidents." I'm just here like, "I'm trying on purpose, can I catch a break?" Again, I am happy for my friends and seeing other people expecting but I am very irrationally annoyed that it's not me.
    I hear ya. Got pregnant 2nd cycle then miscarried and am just on 3rd cycle trying again and not pregnant. I'm over her grumping out when I hear stuff like that too. It'll work out when it's supposed to and I am happy for them but it doesn't interrupt my pity party 

Interesting @MyNameIsNot.  Did not know that about the car!  And yes, very frustrating!

Either of those bday's fall on Feb 5th?  I have two friends who have birthday's on the 2nd and 3rd and then FI's is the 5th.  Plus I'm buying stuff for valentine's day (not a lot, it's a low key holiday for us) and my niece has her 1st birthday on the 17th.  Expensive month!

It's probably a Georgia thing, because why should we reward people for helping the environment?

Not the 5th. We're the 2nd and the 7th, but we actually met on the 5th. (I remember because I was visiting my sister OOT.) We like to celebrate everything on the 5th if it's a weekend. 

• banana468 said:
    My complaint is with a family event at my parents' house later this month.

I mentioned that I lost a family member in the fall to suicide.   On that side of the family we celebrate our Christmas somewhere around the second week of January because it's easier to get the fam together.   Our gathering was a few weeks ago and the family member's son was on a cruise with his mom and her BF, his GF and her parents.   No harm no foul - we said we'd get together later and we'd love to make plans to see him.   

The son is 17, is into cars, and into some of the same interests as DH.   We commented that we should get together more often than we have and the latest family news is pushing us to do that.

Flash forward to an email I get on Monday night that my parents are having a get together on the 21st at 1 and hopefully we can make it.   I immediately wrote back, "Mom - that's the Daytona 500.   It's the Superbowl of racing.   DH has plans to watch the race and I think (the son) wants to see DH.  Is there any way we can change it?"   Mom writes back, "It would be difficult to reschedule."

Now she didn't ask me about the plans, we're the ones driving in from an hour away (as opposed to in town or even on the SAME STREET) and she didn't ask me if we were available before she made the plans.

So now it's lose-lose.   I go with the kids without DH and let down the 17 yo or drag DH who will be pissed that he's missing the biggest NASCAR race of the year.  

And all of this could have been prevented if my mom said, "Hey, I am making plans to get together - are there any days you can't make it?" 

This is not the first time that my family has done this:
    -in late summer, my grandmother passed.   The day she passed I was told that funeral would be scheduled weeks away at a time that was convenient for everyone.   I said, "OK - here are the two big schedule conflicts - days that I'm actually booked because I have events at my home: DS's birthday and my FIL's birthday."   So what did they do?   They scheduled it for the same damn day as FIL's birthday.   No one on my FIL's offered to pick up the slack and move it to MIL's house or to shift it by a day (it would have adjusted my BIL and SIL's travel plans slightly).   So instead, we drove the hour to the funeral, DH left with my IL's to host a party at my house without me and I stuck around for an hour.   THEN because it was the Friday of Labor Day weekend, I had to get stuck in traffic and my one hour drive was an hour and 45 minutes in bumper to bumper beach goers.

-In the fall, my uncle (brother to my mom and her siblings - son of my grandmother) died after a long battle with terminal cancer.  They said, "Hey, we are going to schedule the funeral a few weeks out.   Are there any dates that you can't make it?"  To which I told them the ONE Saturday that DH and I were having over 40 people including kids over to our house.   What day did they schedule it?   THE SAME FUCKING DAY.  I told my family that time that I loved all of them but I would be paying my respects from my house.   

I'm tired of being the one to shift my schedule while others are playing the inflexible card. 
    @banana468 sorry to hear about the family troubles scheduling funerals. I have had to miss three funerals to people very important to me (both my grandmothers and an uncle) because they occurred during my time in college/ grad school, and my parents argued and refused to let me travel with them since they thought it was irresponsible of me to take any time away from my studies. Which was total bullshit -- I couldn't study very well because I was grieving. Added to that grief, I felt miserable that I was not able to be there, especially for one of my grandmothers, who used to live with us when I was little and I had been very close to. I was so broke when she passed away, but in hindsight I wish I had just bought myself a plane ticket on a credit card and showed up. 

@ShesSoCold I am very sorry for the loss of your grandmother. 

Irrational annoyance of the day -- FI complained last night that I need to stop snacking on spoonfuls of Nutella (guilty as charged --I frickin' love Nutella), because I use it up too quickly and inefficiently, that it should be saved for sandwiches or dessert toppings. As I type right now, care to guess what he got out of the pantry and is licking off his fingers? Pot, meet Kettle. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited February 2016
    I have one today. Both DH and I have birthdays this week, so yippy, I get to renew our car tags. 

It's probably a Georgia thing, because why should we reward people for helping the environment?

Not the 5th. We're the 2nd and the 7th, but we actually met on the 5th. (I remember because I was visiting my sister OOT.) We like to celebrate everything on the 5th if it's a weekend. 

I'm the 7th!

I grabbed carry out on my way home today, then decided to stop at a grocery store for my favorite wine and his favorite beer-that's all.  A lady who was easily 60+ not only didnt card me but called me ma'am. Screw 36!

etf:  wine fingers
  • I started lurking on the Bump last night and omg the rules, I don't think I could handle it. Seems like you have to walk on eggshells and warn on a reply that might upset or offend anyone not experiencing the same. Dang
  • banana468 said:
    My [cutting down quote tree...]card. 
    @banana468 sorry to hear about the family troubles scheduling funerals. I have had to miss three funerals to people very important to me (both my grandmothers and an uncle) because they occurred during my time in college/ grad school, and my parents argued and refused to let me travel with them since they thought it was irresponsible of me to take any time away from my studies. Which was total bullshit -- I couldn't study very well because I was grieving. Added to that grief, I felt miserable that I was not able to be there, especially for one of my grandmothers, who used to live with us when I was little and I had been very close to. I was so broke when she passed away, but in hindsight I wish I had just bought myself a plane ticket on a credit card and showed up. 

@ShesSoCold I am very sorry for the loss of your grandmother. 

Irrational annoyance of the day -- FI complained last night that I need to stop snacking on spoonfuls of Nutella (guilty as charged --I frickin' love Nutella), because I use it up too quickly and inefficiently, that it should be saved for sandwiches or dessert toppings. As I type right now, care to guess what he got out of the pantry and is licking off his fingers? Pot, meet Kettle.
    @tigerlily6 something similar happened to my H during college, but this is the first time I've heard of somebody else's parents doing anything like it.  In his case, his cousin died of SIDS, and his parents didn't tell him till after the funeral, for similar reasons.  He was livid, needless to say.

My irrational annoyance of the day:  I'm trying to declutter, but DH collects computer things to work on "someday."  I have no idea where all of these wires came from, but I'm so annoyed they won't be used for years, but we're going to keep them.  I married him knowing this, but still. 

Totally a Geogia thing. I remember hearing about this last year. In 2015 there was a tax credit for people buying electric cars. 2016 they dropped that and instead raised taxes on them. 
  • kvruns said:
    I started lurking on the Bump last night and omg the rules, I don't think I could handle it. Seems like you have to walk on eggshells and warn on a reply that might upset or offend anyone not experiencing the same. Dang
    YES! I was lurking and going to start participating on TTGP board but it was very overwhelming. There is good information there so I think it is just best for me to lurk for now.

• That stupid song about wanting to be a little kid and not worry about student loans in conjuncture with all the "I don't want to "adult" today" posts on facebook. 

Yes it's terrible that you have student loans but how about instead of shaking your fist at society/government for making college super expensive and possibly not worth it... don't sign up for a $100,00 loan when you're 18 and have never paid a bill! No one forced you to take out loans and it's not like "college is so expensive" is something that just happened 5 years - its young 20 year olds saying this.

• @kvruns @emmaaa - An alternative to TB is: www.thencomesfamily.com.
    You'll probably want to start on the 'Getting Knocked Up' board.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• cu97tiger said:
    @kvruns @emmaaa - An alternative to TB is: www.thencomesfamily.com.
    Thank you @cu97tiger!

• I'm irrationally annoyed with Facebook overall and have decided to give it up for Lent. 
    Yesterday I unfollowed (not unfriended) about 90% of my 300 friends. Only family and my closest friends that I actually see in person are still able to appear in my main news feed. 

I am sick of:
    a) political memes
    b) people who share a viral video/post that was viral last week or even several months ago that I've already scrolled by 5-10 times
    c) at least 5-10 people all sharing the same news article at the same time
    d) upsetting posts, like seeing a guy crying holding his dead dog and another dog who miraculously survived his face being eaten by maggots
    e) pleas to adopt abused animals
    f) horrific news with horrific pictures
    g) politically-slanted news when the poster clearly only posts stuff to support their views without bothering to find out the other side of the story. 

If I want the news I will read the news.  Facebook is supposed to be social. I should be happily looking at my friends' kid pictures or travel photos or finding out if people really liked the hottest new restaurant they checked into. I should not be frustrated with political overload and upset at abused animals and children. That's for the news, not FB. What happened to social media?

We always say here that we can't control what other people do but we can control how we react to it. So I'm just switching it all off for awhile. (I considered quitting completely but I've got 11 years' worth of photos on my account and still like seeing close friends' personal stuff.)

• I am irrationally irritated that I am awake, there were people in front of me while I was driving, and it is colder than I want it to be. *grumpy face*
  • cu97tiger said:
    @kvruns @emmaaa - An alternative to TB is: www.thencomesfamily.com.

thanks! I'm probably going to stay away from all of them since too much of that stuff makes me BSC thinking about it all the time but it is good to know an alternative
  • lnixon8 said:
    That stupid song about wanting to be a little kid and not worry about student loans in conjuncture with all the "I don't want to "adult" today" posts on facebook. 

Yes it's terrible that you have student loans but how about instead of shaking your fist at society/government for making college super expensive and possibly not worth it... don't sign up for a $100,00 loan when you're 18 and have never paid a bill! No one forced you to take out loans and it's not like "college is so expensive" is something that just happened 5 years - its young 20 year olds saying this.
    This makes me SO MAD!

I went to high school in a state that says 'if you have this SAT/ACT score' you go to college for free at any in-state school-- two of which are well known, well funded schools (so not a bad choice!) in addition to maybe 10 smaller schools.

But noooooo- you had to go to the private school (in state!) that is ranked much, much lower than these free schools (I went to private school, and scores were a common conversation- of the 52 kids I'd say at least 45 qualified for free in-state tuition) and are now B**ching about your $250k student loan and how you shouldn't have to pay it back! Oy.

Our college counselors- 2 for the 52 of us- were very good about communicating the huge costs of schools/loan repayment. You made your choice- deal with it!
  • lnixon8 said:
    That stupid song about wanting to be a little kid and not worry about student loans in conjuncture with all the "I don't want to "adult" today" posts on facebook. 

This makes me SO MAD!

I went to high school in a state that says 'if you have this SAT/ACT score' you go to college for free at any in-state school-- two of which are well known, well funded schools (so not a bad choice!) in addition to maybe 10 smaller schools.

But noooooo- you had to go to the private school (in state!) that is ranked much, much lower than these free schools (I went to private school, and scores were a common conversation- of the 52 kids I'd say at least 45 qualified for free in-state tuition) and are now B**ching about your $250k student loan and how you shouldn't have to pay it back! Oy.

Our college counselors- 2 for the 52 of us- were very good about communicating the huge costs of schools/loan repayment. You made your choice- deal with it!
    Totally agree!   I really hate this concept of student loan forgiveness as if they're things that 'happened' to you.  

I generally  hate the student loan process in general though.   I can't get a mortgage or a car loan without showing how I'm going to pay it off.   Maybe I'm just crazy but I don't think you should be able to get a loan for school if you're not showing a way that you plan to pay it off.   And I'm not going to knock studies in psychology or philosophy but don't lament that you have $200,000 in loans from your private Boston area school that you can't pay off because no one will hire you because you CHOSE to major in a field that isn't hiring or low paying and you knew that when you started. 

• This may be more of me whining than an irrational annoyance. But, I have to vent somewhere.

I have been sick all week with a cold. I normally wouldn't care very much, except that I'm having surgery next week, so I can't be sick. We had customers in all week for meetings, so I had to work full 10 hour days and be fully engaged with what was going on. H is also out of town, so I had to take care of everything at home and deal with the purchase of our new home. So, I asked to work from home today. My boss got pissy with me about it because I'm going to be out for the next month on short term disability. So, I get his point, but I need to remove the cancer from my body. If I don't, I could be out for 6 months or, I don't know, DIE. I'm sure I'm being overly dramatic, but I am annoyed that he wouldn't give me the courtesy of doing this for just one day.

• I'm irrationally annoyed with Facebook overall and have decided to give it up for Lent. 
    Yesterday I unfollowed (not unfriended) about 90% of my 300 friends. Only family and my closest friends that I actually see in person are still able to appear in my main news feed. 

I am sick of:
    a) political memes
    b) people who share a viral video/post that was viral last week or even several months ago that I've already scrolled by 5-10 times
    c) at least 5-10 people all sharing the same news article at the same time
    d) upsetting posts, like seeing a guy crying holding his dead dog and another dog who miraculously survived his face being eaten by maggots
    e) pleas to adopt abused animals
    f) horrific news with horrific pictures
    g) politically-slanted news when the poster clearly only posts stuff to support their views without bothering to find out the other side of the story. 

If I want the news I will read the news.  Facebook is supposed to be social. I should be happily looking at my friends' kid pictures or travel photos or finding out if people really liked the hottest new restaurant they checked into. I should not be frustrated with political overload and upset at abused animals and children. That's for the news, not FB. What happened to social media?

We always say here that we can't control what other people do but we can control how we react to it. So I'm just switching it all off for awhile. (I considered quitting completely but I've got 11 years' worth of photos on my account and still like seeing close friends' personal stuff.)
    You have put words to why I hate facebook.  I never honestly understood why.  Years ago I unfriended almost everyone.  Basically I kept only those people who would be invited to my hypothetical wedding someday.  Got called out by a couple childhood friends to whom I explained that I wanted to cut down on my media usage and limited my facebook connections to family and a few local friends.  I post something maybe once a month and will "like" something on someone else's page maybe once a week.

Today I'm annoyed that the loud-talker in the next cubicle farm over has had IT problems for which she's had to have several loud conversations.
  • edited February 2016
    Ugh, my whole post was deleted after being thoughtfully written.

Jells2dot0 I'm sorry to hear that about your boss.  I hope this doesn't derail your healing/surgery.  I am a big advocate for flexible work schedules and situations.  You didn't ask for a day off, you asked for an accommodation and those should be granted, IMO.

TL;DR of my student loan post was basically this:
    Poor kid with no parental involvement, job, permanent address, or credit (aka me) took out a bunch of student loans because it was my only out of my situation.  Sallie Mae was more than happy to write me these loans and my college was more than happy to pass through the loans with little to no explanation (We found a way to cover  your entire tuition this year between scholarships and loans that you don't need to pay off until years from now - sign here!).  When you engage in at-risk lending, you are a part of the risk and thus bear responsibility; much like the mortgage companies who engaged in risky lending did to the mortgage crisis.

I'm rationally annoyed at the 50+ generation (I'm 36) who doesn't understand why people are angry about student loans because they went before tuition ballooned 120% (started around 1992) and were able to afford tuition on their part time, minimum wage job.

(For the record, I pay my loans diligently and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had to, but I cannot in good conscious say I knew at the time what I was really getting myself into it.)
  • Yeah, I'm annoyed at a lot of the FB posts.  

People who share stuff without knowing if it's true or not really annoy me.  I already told you about the boycotting the BET one last week.  Another one that happened on  my feed last week were people sharing posts that Gilligan (Bob Denver) died. People were all like "so sad" like it just happened.   Umm, he died in 2005.  Not that it can't be sad, but it was 10.5 years ago.

I haven't really unfriended anyone yet.  Not sure why.   Part of the reason they have more good than bad posts. Other times it's comic relief.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I was reading questions on Reddit's personal finance board.    A few people suggested to this one guy to steal wifi and/or  knock on their neighbor's door and offer to pay half of the bill.

Now am I the only one who would fucking laugh in my neighbor's face if they asked me to share wifi?  (it's already secured so they can't steal it).   I need wifi for work.  DH's streams movies.  I'm not sharing my wifi with my neighbor.  Hell no.

I'm a just a bitch or would you share your internet with your neighbor?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards