Chit Chat
Options

S/O - "Some guy you met in a bar"

edited March 2016 in Chit Chat
There's a post on E where a comment was made about bringing someone that you met in a bar to your wedding.  Which got me thinking ... what's the funniest / oddest story of meeting an SO (you or someone else)?

I have a friend who plays tennis.  She was going to go to a tournament, but they were all staying at a fancy resort (she had just graduated from college, and cash was tight.  The resort / tournament was a 2 hour drive).  There were no other women as singles, but there was a guy who was going to the tournament solo and had apparently said he would share his room that had 2 double beds.   My friend said they were only in the room at the same time for the hours they were asleep and that nothing happened at all (and I believe her).  He called her 2 weeks later and asked her out. 

Their 10 year anniversary is this month. 

Re: S/O - "Some guy you met in a bar"

• Options
    I met my DH in a bar. A really divey one. I was there with my SIL to watch her sing karaoke. She actually struck of a conversation with now DH when he was up ordering a drink. Later, he came up to me and asked why I was sitting by myself. I responded that SIL was in the bathroom, but he said no...she's out sitting on the patio with my friends. I was shocked! So I went back there and there she was. He and I had hit it off though, so when I drove her back home, I decided to go back to the bar and hang out with him more, which turned into an all nighter.

• Options
    I met my H in a bar while on a date with one of his friends. Scandalous!
  • Options
    My BIL met his wife in a bar.   He was the bartender.    

My parents were set up on a blind date where they went to the circus.   My father refers to their first date as "walking through elephant shit together".
  • Options
    My brother and his wife met in a bar. Their 10 year wedding anniversary was in October.

• Options
    A friend and I were on the bar crawl for St. Patrick's Day, the Erin Express.  This was in a beach town in the winter, so it was all locals and its very small town.  We met two guys at one bar and we just started hanging with each other and getting on and off the bus at the same stops.  We get to our last stop and eventually I call for a cab home, so I called the number but the cab company said they don't pick up in that town.  

I was very confused because they were an island-wide taxi, so I went back to my friend and told her.  One of the guys says, I can drive you home.  First, he wasn't drinking, so he was able to drive, but he also went to school with my boss back in the day. So being that it was a small town and he knew my boss, I figured the guy was ok and we take him up on the offer.  The guys dropped us off at my house and left, no problems.

Next day, friend and I are hanging out and a car pulls up in front of the house.  It is the other guy, who was interested in my friend.  He knocks on the door and I try to get him to leave, but he wants to give his number to my friend.  Eventually he comes into the house and we are just sitting in the living room.  Maybe 5 minutes pass and the other guy shows up at the house!  They stayed for 2 hours talking!  We barely said anything the whole time.

Eventually, I tell them both they have to leave and they do. But I did give my number to the guy who drove us home and we went on a date later that week.  We dated for about 5 months total before I broke it off.
  • Options

a friend and her H met on the dance floor of a club in her early 20s (he was mid to late 20s). I still remember at her bridal shower she totally lied about how/where they met and I'm like wait I was with you that night I know exactly what went down!

The comment from the OP about meeting someone at a bar and bringing them as a wedding guest made me remember a friends wedding 1.5 years ago. She invited 3 of us girls as a "girls trip" to her OOT wedding, meaning only we were invited, not my friend's H and not my fiancé (other girl was truly single). We decided to go because we wanted to see her and a girls trip worked out but then all got mad when another friend of hers WAS invited with a +1 and it was truly a guy she had met in the bar 1-2 weeks before. Apparently she got a guest since she didn't have a girls trip to be included with. A year after that wedding was my wedding and my friend's H made a comment about how at least he was invited to this wedding since he was left out of the last one

• Options
    I met my ex at a concert I went to by myself, an hour away from my city. I got the tickets last minute and couldn't find anyone to go because it was Sunday night out of town, I loved the band so I went anywhere. Ex and his friend were standing behind me chatting about something and I turned around and joined in. Hung out the rest of the night and he asked for my number. We dated for four years. 
  • Options
    My parents met at a family reunion. (They aren't really related, but my mom's family are close family friends of some of my dad's family.) I still think it's funny.

I sort of met DH at a bar. We were set up, but our first meeting was kayaking and then the dock bar for lunch and a lot of beer. The group fell off but he and I made an evening of it. 
  • Options
    My H and I met at a kegger/pig roast.. My friend from highschool invited me to go (it was about an hour and a half away from our home town) and I didn't know very many people, maybe 8 out of 60. I don't eat pork or drink beer but I said screw it and went anyways.

Met H right away but he thought I was dating my friend who drove up with us. The friend and I were the only ones he didn't know before hand so he assumed we were dating. 

Ended up together the entire time, made out a little, and we have been married for almost 2 years now :)
  • Options
    H started reading my blog in 2010.  When my blog integrated my Twitter feed, he started following that.  At the time, his Twitter profile pic was of him with his niece ... but I assumed it was a daughter.  He saw on Twitter that I mentioned that I was on Catholic Match.  So, he joined and "liked" me there.  That's when I figured out that he was single & interested.   3 months later, we were engaged.

I say that I married my internet stalker.
    I. Love. This. I would love to see the looks on people's faces when you tell them that!
  • Options
    H started reading my blog in 2010.  When my blog integrated my Twitter feed, he started following that.  At the time, his Twitter profile pic was of him with his niece ... but I assumed it was a daughter.  He saw on Twitter that I mentioned that I was on Catholic Match.  So, he joined and "liked" me there.  That's when I figured out that he was single & interested.   3 months later, we were engaged.

I. Love. This. I would love to see the looks on people's faces when you tell them that!
    When people casually ask, I say we met online.  I'll even say the site.  But if they want to hear the whole story, I tell it starting with that punchline.  People will ask if I still blog and I say, "what's the point?  I got my husband already."
  • Options
    My H and I met in undergrad when we were placed together in a project group.  The day of our first meeting (none of us had met in person before) his first words to me were "oh, I assumed you were a guy" - because I have a very unisex name.  
  • Options

wow!
  • Options
    Technically I met H on a local dating site, but we met in-person at a dive bar of his choosing half-way between our houses. Pretty sure the first thing he said to me when he walked up was "Wow, this place is... special."  We ended up talking for hours, and then seeing each other three of the next four nights (until he had to go back to work on graveyard shift).

The dive bar is two blocks from my work, and I drive by it every day. We have not gone back, but I really want to someday.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I met DH on a dating site. After a few dates, I asked if he wanted to be exclusive. He said yes, but not with me. He didn't see a future with me, but he did with the other girl he was dating. We casually chat online as friends over the next year. They break up. I had to go to a work function near his school, so I invited him out for drinks. I had had way too many and take him to my hotel. We start hanging out again. A month later, I asked him again if he wanted to try the relationship thing or go back to being friends. He wanted to try the relationship thing. We got married 4 years later.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options

Love this thread!  It just goes to show you never know when or how you'll meet "THE ONE".

My H and I met on Yahoo Personals.  We did the typical "meet for the first time at a public place" and then headed to the French Quarter (NOLA) where he took me to a fancy 4-star restaurant for dinner.  Bonus points for H.  We went to two different bars on Bourbon St.  Somewhere along the way he bought me a feather boa.  Then we went to a 3rd bar on a different street, but still in the Quarter.  Surprised me by buying a bottle of champagne that we split.  By now, it's 4 or 5 in the morning.  Our date had started at 6PM the previous night, lol.  WAY too much drinking to drive home so, he got a cab and dropped me off at my place and then continued on to his.  Perfect gentleman!

Been together for the last 16 years and married for almost 3.

I've had two friends who dated their bartenders.  One of them only went out with him for a few months.  But the other friend was from CA and visiting for Mardi Gras.  There was a bar in their hotel and many hours were spent there.  By the end of her trip, she and the bartender were smitten with each other and a long distance relationship started.  18 months later, she moved to NOLA to be with him.  They lived together for three years and got engaged at one point but ultimately, things didn't work out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards