Chit Chat

Knotty Republican Primary

13»

Re: Knotty Republican Primary

• nerdwifenerdwife member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    I don't have anything to add since I'm not a Republican, but this (and all Trump-related conversations) are SO MUCH BETTER if you use this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/drumpfinator/hcimhbfpiofdihhdnofbdlhjcmjopilp 

Edited: not sure if that link is working, but please oh please google "drumpf chrome extension." And watch John Oliver. Thanks.
  • Rubio is out.   Kasich is predicted to win OH.
  • I'm scared y'all. I can't lie. I'm afraid of what would happen if he was elected. The recent numbers are worrying me for our country. 

• In the words of Ben Carson "at least it's only 4 years."

I know he's won dramatically in the primaries, but I still really don't believe he can win the office.  Maybe I'm in denial and need help.  I hope not.
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    People keep making jokes about Trump at work, but I can't laugh... if he wins it could directly destroy my FH's life (According to all of the things he plans to do to immigrants). It pisses me off when people, typically white people, are able to sit through any leader and not be afraid of what can happen, and just joke about this stuff without a worry in the world. A fascist leaders will be a danger mostly to minorities and I hope sensible Republicans can vote against Trump this November instead of just voting for their party. I've been losing sleep over this. The DNC is forcing Hillary down our throats and it might cause Trump to be president.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeow said:
    People keep making jokes about Trump at work, but I can't laugh... if he wins it could directly destroy my FH's life (According to all of the things he plans to do to immigrants). It pisses me off when people, typically white people, are able to sit through any leader and not be afraid of what can happen, and just joke about this stuff without a worry in the world. A fascist leaders will be a danger mostly to minorities and I hope sensible Republicans can vote against Trump this November instead of just voting for their party. I've been losing sleep over this. The DNC is forcing Hillary down our throats and it might cause Trump to be president.

Oh come on. She's winning handily. If Bernie can't win the primaries he can't win the election. 
  • Other than the mainstream media handing her the election, I honestly don't get why people are still voting for her and against their own interests. She lies so damn much and copies Bernie in every issue.
    Eh, I won't be able to convince many Hillary supporters, since this is the way politics has always been, but the point of my previous comment is that a Trump (Or even Cruz) presidency is something I'm losing sleep over, and isn't something to joke about. So many lives would be ruined.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ditto.

thefanciestbeckler said:
    I'm scared y'all. I can't lie. I'm afraid of what would happen if he was elected. The recent numbers are worrying me for our country. 
  • MCmeow said:
    Other than the mainstream media handing her the election, I honestly don't get why people are still voting for her and against their own interests. She lies so damn much and copies Bernie in every issue.
    Eh, I won't be able to convince many Hillary supporters, since this is the way politics has always been, but the point of my previous comment is that a Trump (Or even Cruz) presidency is something I'm losing sleep over, and isn't something to joke about. So many lives would be ruined.
    Maybe because they know their own interests better than you? How is it not racist to imply that the vast majority of black voters in all of the southern states are just confused and don't know what's best for them?
  • MCmeow said:
    Other than the mainstream media handing her the election, I honestly don't get why people are still voting for her and against their own interests. She lies so damn much and copies Bernie in every issue.
    Maybe because they know their own interests better than you? How is it not racist to imply that the vast majority of black voters in all of the southern states are just confused and don't know what's best for them?
    Because she didn't call out a single race, imply race, or imply what those best interest are.

Back to the conversation, MCMeow. I totally understand your fears. Even if he doesn't enact a single bill changing immigration, his words have already elicited violent reactions, and 4.5 more years of that could do serious damage to our country, and the people who live within it.

• Even if he doesn't enact a single bill changing immigration, his words have already elicited violent reactions, and 4.5 more years of that could do serious damage to our country, and the people who live within it.
    QFT
  • MCmeow said:
    Eh, ok... I'm mixed-Dominican

Please don't assume I'm racist just because I can't stand the political system which Hillary represents. This is the political system that oppresses minorities repeatedly. By the way, I meant older voters and more conservative democrats, because that's what matters in those Southern states. Of course Black people know what's best for them, but young black people typically go for Bernie. As a Hispanic voter, I found her pandering offensive honestly (She's not my abuela). I know she doesn't actually care about us, she just wants to be president. And I repeat, my point is not to try and convince you because I doubt that will happen. I rather have her as president and have more of the same than to have thousands of lives ruined by Trump or Cruz.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeow said:
    Yeah, as a Latino American I can't really laugh at his bullshit anymore. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I honestly think it will be Hillary who wins the Presidential election.

I am terrified of a Trump Presidency.  I read an article that said that most of the deeply religious in the south are having a hard time backing Trump because of his @$$hole comments and thoughts. 

And the idea that violence is ok and that he supports it makes me sick to my stomach.  

Trump is truly ruining what is left of the Republican party, more than what the Tea Party has already done.  I hope after this, the party takes a hard look at themselves and changes.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am really disappointed that Marco didn't do better than he did. I do think it was time for him to bow out though considering he didn't win his home state.

I cannot, in my right mind, support Donald Trump, even though I consider myself a strong conservative. Trump does not represent the conservative movement I believe in. He does not represent the Republican party to be a part of.

I would be open to a third party candidate. Because I also cannot, in my right mind, vote for Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders. Neither of them represent my political views in the slightest.

• MCmeow said:
    Because she didn't call out a single race, imply race, or imply what those best interest are.

Back to the conversation, MCMeow. I totally understand your fears. Even if he doesn't enact a single bill changing immigration, his words have already elicited violent reactions, and 4.5 more years of that could do serious damage to our country, and the people who live within it.
    Yeah exactly. I live in Queens where it's extremely diverse so any white supremacist wouldn't dare to even start violence here. But I worry for this country as a whole, and how this country is viewed by the rest of the world. A lot of those Trump Americans say "who cares what those Europeans think" or anyone else, but it matters, in our economics and safety. Such a scary world right now. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is all why I do vote third party. I had an extremely hard time casting a vote in the Republican primary yesterday, because I don't agree with Trump, Cruz, or Rubio, and Kaisch isn't going to win. 
    The only way to get viable third party candidates is to vote for them, and most people who want a third party candidate won't because they don't want the opposite party to win. 
    Illinois is solidly blue, always. Voting Rebuplican in November won't do jack squat in Illinois anyway, so I'll be casting a Libertarian vote. 
    I'm very economically conservative but the GOP makes no sense to me; how can you uphold "traditional family values" i.e. Christian values and uphold the Constitution? You can't. Cruz is way too religious for me, but I felt like I had to cast a primary vote for him so as to not endorse Trump.
    Ugh, politics. 

• This is all why I do vote third party. I had an extremely hard time casting a vote in the Republican primary yesterday, because I don't agree with Trump, Cruz, or Rubio, and Kaisch isn't going to win. 
    The only way to get viable third party candidates is to vote for them, and most people who want a third party candidate won't because they don't want the opposite party to win. 
    Illinois is solidly blue, always. Voting Rebuplican in November won't do jack squat in Illinois anyway, so I'll be casting a Libertarian vote. 
    I'm very economically conservative but the GOP makes no sense to me; how can you uphold "traditional family values" i.e. Christian values and uphold the Constitution? You can't. Cruz is way too religious for me, but I felt like I had to cast a primary vote for him so as to not endorse Trump.
    Ugh, politics. 

The highlighted is why Kasich isn't going to win.  No one is voting for him and because he is behind, no one will vote for him because they feel he won't win.  But if people stood up and voted for him, since he is the lesser of all three, things would be different.

The second bolded, I agree with wholeheartedly.  The Republican party has moved away from the idea that this country was founded on the separation of Church and State.  They complain about other Religious communities pushing their Religion on those who don't share the same beliefs, and yet here they are doing the exact same thing.
    Anniversary

• kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    ohmrs2014 said:
    This is all why I do vote third party. I had an extremely hard time casting a vote in the Republican primary yesterday, because I don't agree with Trump, Cruz, or Rubio, and Kaisch isn't going to win. 
    Ugh, politics. 

The highlighted is why Kasich isn't going to win.  No one is voting for him and because he is behind, no one will vote for him because they feel he won't win.  But if people stood up and voted for him, since he is the lesser of all three, things would be different.

The second bolded, I agree with wholeheartedly.  The Republican party has moved away from the idea that this country was founded on the separation of Church and State.  They complain about other Religious communities pushing their Religion on those who don't share the same beliefs, and yet here they are doing the exact same thing.
    Not a republican, but what I've bolded is why they are so repugnant to me. While I don't agree with their economic policies, I find GOP folks way more palatable when they aren't pushing their religious or social agenda down my throat. Shifting economic policies are probably good for the country, but refusing to accept progressive social change and denying people their rights due to religion and acting as if an Anglo-Christian religion is the only one that matters in a country founded on religious freedom is BS.
  • I am conservative and cannot stomach a Trump presidency.   It's one thing to know that a politician will lie on occasion.   It's another to see one who can't take responsibility for any of his actions, words, tweets, or how he's run his company.  Exactly what am I supposed to believe when you refuse to acknowledge that you have had business failures, you post tweets of hoaxes, you spread misinformation and when caught, call it a 'don't believe the media' line yet YOU HAD A PROFITABLE REALITY TV SHOW BY THE SAME MEDIA!   Exactly what about you says integrity and moving the nation forward??   

I thought Ted Cruz was scary until this inflated Oompa Loompa opened his mouth and wouldn't shut up. 

If Trump gets the nomination he doesn't have my vote.   I'll either vote 3rd party or for the Democratic nominee.   I live in a blue state with no chance of throwing votes to the Republican anyway. 
  • kylexo said:
    ohmrs2014 said:
    This is all why I do vote third party. I had an extremely hard time casting a vote in the Republican primary yesterday, because I don't agree with Trump, Cruz, or Rubio, and Kaisch isn't going to win. 
    Ugh, politics. 

Not a republican, but what I've bolded is why they are so repugnant to me. While I don't agree with their economic policies, I find GOP folks way more palatable when they aren't pushing their religious or social agenda down my throat. Shifting economic policies are probably good for the country, but refusing to accept progressive social change and denying people their rights due to religion and acting as if an Anglo-Christian religion is the only one that matters in a country founded on religious freedom is BS.

As a Republican, it also bothers me.  I might be in the minority among Republicans on this topic, but I firmly believe in the separation of Church and state.  This country should be governed by those who understand that.
    Anniversary

• I work with an Arabic American who is also Republican.  Last week he told me he'd support Trump because he believes checks and balances will hold him in place, and he's so used to discrimination it doesn't even bother him anymore.

He told me today he will no longer support Trump, because as a friend reminded him, *he* may not be afraid of racially motivated violence, but what about his wife, son and mother?  

My heart bled for him when he told me that (and not just because I'm a liberal - sorry, I had to).
  • Just an fyi, @kimmiinthemitten, the phrase would be Arab American, not Arabic American.  Arabic is the language, not the people.

• Viczaesar said:
    Just an fyi, @kimmiinthemitten, the phrase would be Arab American, not Arabic American.  Arabic is the language, not the people.
    Thanks for the correction!  What an embarrassing, mistype.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards