Chit Chat

Re: How do you feel about your state's selection?

• Options
    looked up the 3 states where I've lived:
    MA (college and 10 years post college) - yuck! Not a chowder fan!
    NY (grew up in, spent first 18 years there) - thin crust pizza - the ONLY kind of pizza
    WA (currently) - yup, best salmon i've ever had!
  • Options
    Texas - BBQ

Yep.

Although Tex Mex could've also been there.
  • Options
    Not at all surprised that ribs ended up being Tennessee's pick! I was predicting BBQ, but it's all in the same family.

• Options
    Do yourself a favor and click on the original article...
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-thing-to-eat-in-every-us-state-2015-10

I refuse to feed the click bait until I got to Ohio.

And yes, Buckeyes - I'm happy :yum: 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Cheese steak is right for PA.  But you can only get a good one near Philly.  Unfortunately I'm not close enough now:(
  • Options

I lived in AZ for 10 years and never had a chimi.

Of course, I'm really a Jersey Girl and I eat pork roll as much as a I can. I have my mom ship it out to me on occasion.

• Options
    cupcait927cupcait927 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    I hate these articles for the sole reason that when it comes to NY, it's always centered around NYC. It's never representative of the state as a whole. Pizza is great but no one I know eats thin crust and we certainly don't fold it in half to eat it. This may be a slight overreaction but it's so irritating.

ETA - if I was going to pick the best thing to eat in NY state, it would be chicken wings all day long.
  • Options
    @Jells2dot0 , we spent many summers visiting family in AZ and we never had chimichangas, either.  I'd say homemade flour tortillas are the best in AZ.
  • Options
    I hate these articles for the sole reason that when it comes to NY, it's always centered around NYC. It's never representative of the state as a whole. Pizza is great but no one I know eats thin crust and we certainly don't fold it in half to eat it. This may be a slight overreaction but it's so irritating.

ETA - if I was going to pick the best thing to eat in NY state, it would be chicken wings all day long.
    Where in western NY are you from that you don't know anyone who eats thin crust? that's crazy! I'm from the southern tier/finger lakes and if pressed, the best food in NYS is chicken speidies.
  • Options
    Oregon - Marionberry pie.

I am conflicted about this... I mean, I'm sure marionberry pie is good, but I don't know anyone who eats marionberries on a regular basis. Blackberries and raspberries grow everywhere here too and are much more common in jams and pies.

I am also surprised they didn't go with salmon, steelhead, or razor clams... There is a ton of fresh seafood in Oregon.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thank you, @photokitty, and all on one page too!

The Iowa pork tenderloin sandwich IS good.  The ones I eat at the fair anyway, so I agree with that.

I think Chicago stuffed/deep dish pizza is also a Chicagoland thing,  I'm not sure how popular it is when you go into Southern IL, but I have never went on a quest for it.  Maybe I will.....

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Having not grown up in IL I just can't love deep dish that much. I would think the only competing thing that could have been on the list instead would have been giardiniera bc that shit is the bomb and I put that on everything now. 

Growing up up on LI/NY, yep thin crust pizza is life. 

Went to to college in rhode dialed and can say I never once ate one of their hot wieners. Guess I missed out? I'll ask my H and one of my sisters that went to a different RI school if she ate them...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Do yourself a favor and click on the original article...
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-thing-to-eat-in-every-us-state-2015-10

I refuse to feed the click bait until I got to Ohio.

And yes, Buckeyes - I'm happy :yum: 
    I do love Buckeyes, but there's so much more to Ohio cooking than them. Pierogi, cabbage and noodles, poppyseed and nut rolls, paczki, anything made with local produce, whoopie pies (really, Amish bakery is a category unto itself), hot rice and coleslaw served alongside Barberton chicken, lake perch . . . Damn it, now I'm hungry.

ETA: Oh, and chicken paprikash. One of the dishes I miss since becoming pescetarian.
  • Options
    Points to the author for delineating the two types of NC sauces. H grew up with the eastern (vinegar) stuff, so it's his favorite, but I hate it and love the sweet tomato sauce on my bbq.
  • Options

NY should clearly be two separate states.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

kylexo said:

Where in western NY are you from that you don't know anyone who eats thin crust? that's crazy! I'm from the southern tier/finger lakes and if pressed, the best food in NYS is chicken speidies.
    kylexo said:

I stand corrected - it should be 3 or more states!  Downstate 4 lyfe!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    For my home state of NJ - yeah, Taylor ham is one of those things I'm a little embarrassed to love as much as I do. 

Living now in NY, our pizza rules. Well, in the city anyway.
  • Options
    CO.... Rocky Mountain Oysters.  Umm, no.

I'll go with my home state of CA, and fish tacos, that's more acceptable.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Fun! Illinois, yes to deep dish. 
    It's neat to read through the list and see that I've eaten certain things in certain states. CA- fish tacos, check. FL- Key Lime pie, check. LA- po'boy, check. MD- crab cakes, check. NY- thin crust, check. PA- cheese steak, check. TX- bbq, check. WI- cheese curds, check. 

Now then, AR, cheese dip? I've missed out. Next time I visit a good friend who lives there I'll need to try that. I loooove cheese dip.

• Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    Yeah the pizza is accurate for NY. It's the easiest cheap meal to get and its just so good. But honestly not the best, but to be fair, we're so diverse that it's impossible to make the best choice. Like, I'm from Astoria (Queens) so I'd say Greek gyros are the best. Or Indian food nearby in Jackson heights is the best. But pizza is fair.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The Coney is legit for Detroit but I don't think the UP (long live the Pastie!!) and west Michigan (lake salmon or poutine) would appreciate that as much.
  • Options
    I'm Indiana and I've never heard the term "Hoosier pie". Pretty sure it is a sugar cream pie which is the only name I ever here it called. I'm not a fan though. I thought ours would be fried pork tenderloin sandwich 
  • Options

So so true. Chicken wings beat pizza and Ive lived in Buffalo and NYC. 
  • Options
    kylexo said:

I'm from the Finger Lakes as well, closer to Rochester and we don't do think crust here. We also don't do speidies. I know those are more popular towards central and upstate NY. It's all about the chicken wings once you get past Syracuse. 
  • Options
    Grew up in upstate NY and went to college there also and sorry I prefer deep dish. Like most NYers I have the same complaint that we are lumped into NYC. 

Co-oped for a year in Ohio and I LOVE Buckeyes. My mom's always made them every year for Christmas though she's from PA...

Currently live in Maine and I don't eat meat including seafood so I guess the great lobstah roll is lost on me :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in MA and I was hoping the selection wasn't going to be NE Clam Chowder. 

I don't like cream-based soups. And I actually prefer (gasp!!!!!) Manhattan Clam Chowder. But that's probably my Long Island family's influence.
  • Options
    Points to the author for delineating the two types of NC sauces. H grew up with the eastern (vinegar) stuff, so it's his favorite, but I hate it and love the sweet tomato sauce on my bbq.
    This. DH and I are both from and live in central NC so we like both. But if I'm looking for a good, classic BBQ, then I want the Eastern sauce.

• Options
    emmaaa said:
    This. DH and I are both from and live in central NC so we like both. But if I'm looking for a good, classic BBQ, then I want the Eastern sauce.

I had no idea there were 2 different kinds, whenever I hear Carolina BBQ I think of the vinegar stuff which I don't like.
  • Options

Growing up in Cali, I do like tacos but I have never had a fish taco there. I have had one in HI that was delish.

Living in Mass, I do like chowder but I need to move to Maine because I love lobster rolls. Plus, they have great breweries there.

• Options
    kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:

I had no idea there were 2 different kinds, whenever I hear Carolina BBQ I think of the vinegar stuff which I don't like.
    It's a big debate in NC, lol. I like the sweet tomatoe-y sauce too but more in the winter time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards