Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Popcorn Bar instead of hot appetizer

Re: Popcorn Bar instead of hot appetizer

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    AddieCake said:
    I may be in the minority, but I find it odd that anyone would claim to know the food likes and dislikes of their guests. I had no idea what appetizers my guests would like; I chose the ones that I knew were fairly common and that would hopefully appeal to the masses. As I'm a very picky eater, there was only one of our appetizers that I cared for. 

Also, I'm curious what's to stop me from taking more than my share of popcorn any more than taking extra cheese? 

ETA: I'm also baffled that you know what time all these different people eat lunch. 
    This a thousand times.

I have no clue when my friends eat lunch or dinner (or how much they snack in between) unless they're eating it with me...when would that possibly come up?
    Exactly. I might know when certain people have dinner b/c I've been invited or they have had to work around their dinner schedule with me before, but all those lunches? My husband doesn't even know what time my lunch is at work. Why would he?  

Edited b/c I'm sure plenty of husbands know when lunch is b/c maybe they have met spouses for lunch. But the rest stands!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited April 2016
    Most of my friends and family are very scheduled due to school activites, etc. Example my FSIL is a teacher, she has lunch when the children have their lunch then I know what time the hubby gets home from work, and dinner is shortly after. It's really not complicated. I spent a week staying at my in laws house with pretty much that whole side of the family so I am very familiar with their eating schedules LOL. In some cases I have had the discussions with my friends and family because they all make fun of me for eating dinner so early LOL.

• SP29 said:
    OK @marissaskisses, the title of your post is popcorn bar vs. hot appetizers. Various posters said they would prefer hot appetizers. Question asked- opinions given. Nothing to get defensive about. If all you wanted was people to comment on bowl vs. bag, that should have been your question and title of your post. You invited in the comments about what you are serving for your cocktail hour.

Personally, I am fine with popcorn as a snack (I consider cocktail hour to be a "snack" event). However, at cocktail hour, yes, I am getting hungry. I will eat the entire 2.5 cups of popcorn as my snack (2.5 cups isn't really a lot, considering popcorn is light and airy, vs. a couple ounces of cheese).

I eat lunch at work around 1200, we don't usually eat dinner until 6-7pm. Doesn't mean I don't get hungry in between- I eat a snack everyday after work at 5pm. Just because you know when you guests tend to eat their meals, doesn't mean they won't be hungry earlier.

People may not remember the exact food they ate, but they will remember if they were hungry or not. 
    This was my point. Not that I'm eating dinner at 4:30...but that going from noon until dinner time on 2.5 cups of popcorn would mean I'm still hungry. And I don't think that's a "unique to CrowsGirl" kind of thing.

I'm not sure why I'm still trying to make that point, but you made it way better than me ;)

• Even my current diet plan lets me have 3 cups of popcorn as a snack. If I'm at a wedding I don't want to eat like I'm on my diet, 2.5 cups is just not going to do it for me. I don't think it has to be a hot appetizer but I do think it should be more substantial. 
  • edited April 2016
    SP29 said:
    OK @marissaskisses, the title of your post is popcorn bar vs. hot appetizers. Various posters said they would prefer hot appetizers. Question asked- opinions given. Nothing to get defensive about. If all you wanted was people to comment on bowl vs. bag, that should have been your question and title of your post. You invited in the comments about what you are serving for your cocktail hour.

Personally, I am fine with popcorn as a snack (I consider cocktail hour to be a "snack" event). However, at cocktail hour, yes, I am getting hungry. I will eat the entire 2.5 cups of popcorn as my snack (2.5 cups isn't really a lot, considering popcorn is light and airy, vs. a couple ounces of cheese).

I eat lunch at work around 1200, we don't usually eat dinner until 6-7pm. Doesn't mean I don't get hungry in between- I eat a snack everyday after work at 5pm. Just because you know when you guests tend to eat their meals, doesn't mean they won't be hungry earlier.

People may not remember the exact food they ate, but they will remember if they were hungry or not. 
    The title of my post was not vs, it said INSTEAD OF because that is what I was doing instead of an appetizer. Yes the question was merely about bowls. I too consider it a snack time which is why I thought popcorn would be fine. Then people literally kept saying the same thing over and over after I had already explained my thought process on not providing too much during a small snack and that I know all my guests would enjoy it. If people would stop making me repeat myself this conversation would have been much different.. Ie, the posterr right above you who again states I should consider medical issues that I know my guests DON'T have when it comes to popcorn. Yes I'm sure people snack throughout the day, my point is that popcorn would be that small smack until dinner and nobody would be STARVING at 4:30... literally I used the word starving and everyone took that to just mean slightly hungry.

• Btw as I said before, I would like it.  

FI said it would be "cheaping out" but tbh he thinks bloody everything looks cheap.  Hence why I control the wedding fund lol!
  • I like popcorn, especially the fancy flavored stuff I rarely have. Although I like the cheese kinds and I don't think I'd want cheesy fingers at a wedding. I agree with others it seems like an odd cocktail hour food but others have covered it

bowls vs bags. I'm team bag all the way. I hate having to balance things (am I standing during cocktail hour?) and would probably prefer a bag I can close up as I'm mingling vs a bowl I have to carry by the edge and try not to spill. Also, given my love of fancy popcorn, If I don't end up eating it bc I'm chatting this way I can take it with me vs it being left out uneaten bc a bowl doesn't work for transport. 
  • AddieCake said:
    Wow drama.  You ladies know the phrase, "she could start an argument in an empty room?"  Bloody hell.  Coffee Gate, Popcorn Gate.  

Sorry OP, I wasn't trying to offend you!  You asked how guests reacted to a popcorn bar, so I said what me and FI thought of the idea.  It's just an opinion!  
    Amen. Who knew coffee and popcorn could make someone so defensive? 

This piqued my interest so I just toddled off to have a little read and OP's responses are almost identical a whole year later. Good luck to you!

Was anyone was ever found to push the ON button for coffee by the way?
    I will do it for £300 plus reasonable travel expenses to California.  HTH
  • Is it really that big of a deal to provide a tray of veggies and/or cheese and crackers in case some people just don't feel like eating popcorn? If that's going to break the bank, perhaps you should re-evaluate the rest of your budget.

You should have more than one choice/type of food, period. We always advise that. Different flavors of the same thing do not count.
  • Is it really that big of a deal to provide a tray of veggies and/or cheese and crackers in case some people just don't feel like eating popcorn? If that's going to break the bank, perhaps you should re-evaluate the rest of your budget.

You should have more than one choice/type of food, period. We always advise that. Different flavors of the same thing do not count.

SITB

Yes, a lot of folks enjoy popcorn but there are some who can't eat it. A lot of people who can't eat wheat also can't eat corn. People who have braces or dentures would have trouble with popcorn, and diabetics do better with protein in addition to carbs. There are also folks who won't drink but will be hungry (pregnant women and kids, especially teenage boys).

Popcorn is a fun idea, but it shouldn't be your only option.
  • I can't quote but @AddieCake pretty much asked every question that went through my mind reading this. 

Out of genuine curiosity, OP did you literally poll all 50 guests?  Your post piqued my interest, so I texted my sister whom I am very very close with but who lives states away and said "did you know I'm not really a big fan of popcorn?"  She replied "no, that's weird. And where did this come from?"

I bet the only people who know for sure I don't prefer popcorn are FI and my best friend, because they're the other people I've lived with as an adult. 

SITB

Yes, a lot of folks enjoy popcorn but there are some who can't eat it. A lot of people who can't eat wheat also can't eat corn. People who have braces or dentures would have trouble with popcorn, and diabetics do better with protein in addition to carbs. There are also folks who won't drink but will be hungry (pregnant women and kids, especially teenage boys).

Popcorn is a fun idea, but it shouldn't be your only option.
    You forgot that she knows the eating times and habits of every single one of her guests. Why would someone feel like not having popcorn that day? Its gourmet

• She has already explained her thought process, people!
  • AddieCake said:
    Is it really that big of a deal to provide a tray of veggies and/or cheese and crackers in case some people just don't feel like eating popcorn? If that's going to break the bank, perhaps you should re-evaluate the rest of your budget.

That would be tacky, remember? This is a gourmet popcorn affair, Allie. Come on!
    Oh, my bad! Artisan cheese and crackers, then? I had a lovely porter-soaked cheese at a wine shop recently. lol
    ahh artisan cheese! I recently had a mango ginger stilton and some kind of cheese with a bourbon soak rind. Hmmm I think I still have some in the frig.
  • Quick poll, what's your favourite app?  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards