Wedding Etiquette Forum

When to tell bride I'm pregnant

2»

Re: When to tell bride I'm pregnant

• you could wait to tell them and announce it to everyone at once. as for not drinking you could say you are on antibiotics for something and cant drink 
  • you could wait to tell them and announce it to everyone at once. as for not drinking you could say you are on antibiotics for something and cant drink 
    In my circle, an excuse for not drinking like that might as well be a flashing neon sign saying "I'm pregnant!". If your goal is to keep the attention on the bride-to-be and not all about your pregnancy, I would avoid this method. But you know your friends better than I do. 
  • Get a bottle of beer.  Dump out the contents in the bathroom.   Refill with water. 

As long as you don't do this with a Corona you have a decent disguise.   
  • My sister said her bartender was one of the first people she told she was pregnant.  She just started asking for mocktails and got a nice steady supply that made sure nobody knew she was pregnant until she was ready to tell people.  "Vodka and water, hold the vodka."  I'm pretty sure they've done it a few thousand times.
  • adk19 said:
    My sister said her bartender was one of the first people she told she was pregnant.  She just started asking for mocktails and got a nice steady supply that made sure nobody knew she was pregnant until she was ready to tell people.  "Vodka and water, hold the vodka."  I'm pretty sure they've done it a few thousand times.
    A friend of mine did this at her own wedding. They were pregnant, weren't ready to tell anyone. The DOC told the bartender the bride only wanted Sprite with cranberry, even though she was ordering that with vodka. No one had any idea. 
  • adk19 said:
    My sister said her bartender was one of the first people she told she was pregnant.  She just started asking for mocktails and got a nice steady supply that made sure nobody knew she was pregnant until she was ready to tell people.  "Vodka and water, hold the vodka."  I'm pretty sure they've done it a few thousand times.
    A friend of mine did this at her own wedding. They were pregnant, weren't ready to tell anyone. The DOC told the bartender the bride only wanted Sprite with cranberry, even though she was ordering that with vodka. No one had any idea. 
    I had a coworker who didn't want to mention her pregnancy early to our management. We had several client-sponsored dinners that usually involved copious amounts of booze before she was ready to disclose. She just ordered her drinks herself and asked for things that were typically mixed drinks, but without the alcohol (ie. Malibu & pineapple, vodka cranberry). No one caught on.

I also had a friend who was pregnant at a bachelorette party and didn't want to tell anyone. She sneakily gave her drinks to her cousin all night long (easier in a big group) and ordered water with ice & lime from the bar to make it look like a drink.

If you're in a situation where everyone else is even mildly drunk, no one will figure it out ;)
  • My MOH told me a week after she found out and has only told one of my other bridesmaids (besides the father).  While it wasn't necessary that she tell me so quickly, I did appreciate it (and was happy to celebrate with her) and it will probably make things easier on her in some ways.

Besides offering emotional and logistical help, I can also help her conceal it until she is ready to share the news. She plans to announce it the week after our wedding, when she'll be 3.5-4 months.  For the wedding, we are going to talk to the bartender beforehand to let him know and he'll have some clear pop and lime ready for her and will call it by a different name so that nobody suspects.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards