Chit Chat

Bra Color & Culture

2»

Re: Bra Color & Culture

• I hate seeing bra's under the shirts too.  I own three white shirts though, and those have stripes so not a solid white. The rest of my colors are black, navy, gray, anything dark....I don't play around much with color so I have like a zillion black and patterned ones and two white ones.  I don't think I own any nudes.

• edited April 2016
    I have some cute fun bras but they're such a waste of money. Even my one that has pastel stripes is still a bit visible through all but my darkest shirts. I would never show bra color or texture (i.e. thick lace) through a shirt at work. 

I do love the thin, or see-through, gauzy type shirts, but was of the impression they were to be layered over camisoles, and that's how I wear them. I would never wear one with just a bra. 

Now, that said, for a time there I quite envied Carrie Bradshaw's "don't give a fuck" attitude about her bra showing in whatever she felt like wearing. It's certainly not a look the vast majority of women can pull off though. 

ETA... Even if I wanted to rock a pretty bra under a shirt, I don't like how the bra would ruin the look of the shirt. I like a smooth silhouette. Why have the majority of my shirt smooth and then bumps and ripples where the bra decor is? What's the point? 

• Huh, that is interesting! I never would have thought of white bras as being more of a European style... I know I switched away from them being I just hated how dingy they got after a few months of wear!

I own a purple, two red, one grey and pink, one pale pink, two nude, one white, one black, one white-and-red printed and one leopard print bra... so yeah, obviously I'm team "fun bra" over here! 

Like most others on here, my nudes are my go-to for work and I wouldn't wear an outfit with any part of my bra showing in a professional setting.

Now, running errands, going out with friends, seeing family or pretty much anything else outside of work? I couldn't care less about a bra strap showing. It's a strap of fabric going across your shoulder- not sure what's supposed to be so indecent about that but personally I'm just not subscribing to it :)

• Now, running errands, going out with friends, seeing family or pretty much anything else outside of work? I couldn't care less about a bra strap showing. It's a strap of fabric going across your shoulder- not sure what's supposed to be so indecent about that but personally I'm just not subscribing to it :)
    For the record, I don't find it indecent.  I just don't like the way it looks.  But I'm sure my bra straps still show sometimes, especially with little summer tanks.  Like you said, never in a professional setting.  It's not a huge deal, just something I'd try to avoid.

The bigger issue is the colored bra under a light colored top.  

SaveSave
  • Guess I'm the odd man out- I have never owned a nude or black bra. Right now I'm wearing a teal one and my other favorite ones are blush and teal/grey/white stripes. No one is meant to see them so I just like seeing the fun color myself, makes me feel happy and fun when I put it on. They don't show through my shirts because I buy very solid shirts, hardly any of the "breezy" type shirts but when I do have one of those, I wear a white cami underneath.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards