Chit Chat

Conspiracy Theories

I have a friend who is a bit, erm, fervent about his political beliefs and thoughts on religion and such. He's a bit out there, but always came from a place of compassion for humanity and wanting what's best for everyone. And once or twice he has conceded that he was wrong about something. 

However. The other day he expressed a theory that the Holocaust never happened. Or if it did, it was all a global conspiracy led by the West to excuse the creation of Israel. After all, he claims, nobody ever learned  about all the medical advancements the Nazi party made (which isn't true, I recall in several classes reading that there was debate in the medical community for years about the ethics of using Nazi research)
Also Bill Gates created Ebola for population control and vaccines are a way for the government to subdue you. 

So what crazy conspiracy theories have you come across lately, or do you think they're even crazy at all?

Re: Conspiracy Theories

• The holocaust never happening stuff is baffling to me. So all of my family just disappeared and stopped talking to the relatives that were able to escape Germany? They just decided to go away?

I still have several friends who don't believe in the moon landing. It's fascinating.

• I have heard people say that they think Trump is actually a liberal who is trying to pull a fast one on the GOP. I don't believe it, of course, but part of me wishes it was true, and that if Trump won, he would all of a sudden be a rational, moderate politician.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a roommate who ardently believed that George W. Bush staged the terrorist attacks of 9/11 for the sole purpose of going to war with Saudi Arabia over oil.  FH said, "There's actually a lot of evidence to support that theory."

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Prince was killed by the Illumanti. I wish I was kidding. 
  • I have a friend who is a bit, erm, fervent about his political beliefs and thoughts on religion and such. He's a bit out there, but always came from a place of compassion for humanity and wanting what's best for everyone. And once or twice he has conceded that he was wrong about something. 

However. The other day he expressed a theory that the Holocaust never happened. Or if it did, it was all a global conspiracy led by the West to excuse the creation of Israel. After all, he claims, nobody ever learned  about all the medical advancements the Nazi party made (which isn't true, I recall in several classes reading that there was debate in the medical community for years about the ethics of using Nazi research)
    Also Bill Gates created Ebola for population control and vaccines are a way for the government to subdue you. 

So what crazy conspiracy theories have you come across lately, or do you think they're even crazy at all?

So you have a hardcore anti-Semetic friend who comes from a place of compassion for humanity unless Jews? Really hope this is now a former friend. 

I don't have any friends who believe in conspiracy theories because I don't have time for that stupidity in my life. 
    I should have clarified.  He's usually a compassionate person, which is why this newest thing was so surprising and appalling.  Of course I laid into him, a lot of people did, and I certainly want nothing to do with someone like that. There arw some theories that I disagree with but can understand why someone might think differently, but that is not one of them. 
  • The world is controlled by the rich elite (namely the Rothschild family) and they are preparing to do a total global economic collapse in the very near future (the 2008 recession was a test).  So, it's pointless for us to save money or try to get ahead in the world because it's going to all collapse around us in the next year or two anyway.  Spending all the money on guns/ammo/food is a better use of funds, instead of letting it sit in a bank account, which will soon disappear.  And it's even a good idea to take as much debt as possible to buy these items now, because the debt won't matter after the collapse anyway.

• edited April 2016
    @crowsgirl15I'm sorry for your loss of so much more than grandparents and aunts and uncles. 'The holocaust didn't happen' conspiracy theory is cruel beyond words. I couldn't be friends with anyone who believed that garbage.

How about some vintage conspiracy theories: When I was a very little girl, mom, aunts and their generation were obsessed with the idea that the CIA murdered Marilyn Monroe because her lovers, JFK and RFK, had shared sensitive info with her and that she was actually a spy. 

My mom blamed the Soviet Union and Sputnik,  as well as Aliens for various things - The Great Blackout, strange weather, food shortages, contaminated water etc. Also, the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan were working for the Soviet Union. Their mission was to get all U.S. youth hooked on drugs so the Russians could take over.  I had an interesting childhood. 

I love the Donald Trump conspiracy theory. But sadly, I don't believe there's any merit. 

And Prince? @climbingwife I just googled Prince killed by the Illuminati. You weren't kidding!

• The world powers control the weather,  that's one I forgot. 
  • @crowsgirl15I'm sorry for your loss of so much more than grandparents and aunts and uncles. 'The holocaust didn't happen' conspiracy theory is cruel beyond words. I couldn't be friends with anyone who believed that garbage.

How about some vintage conspiracy theories: When was a very little girl, mom aunt and their generation were obsessed with the idea that the CIA murdered Marilyn Monroe because her lovers, JFK and RFK, had shared sensitive info with her and that she was actually a spy. 

My mom blamed the Soviet Union and Sputnik,  as well as Aliens for various things - The Great Blackout, strange weather, food shortages, contaminated water etc. Also, the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan were working for the Soviet Union. Their mission was to get all U.S. youth hooked on drugs so the Russians could take over.  I had an interesting childhood. 

I love the Donald Trump conspiracy theory. But sadly, I don't believe there's any merit. 

And Prince? @climbingwife I just googled Prince killed by the Illuminati. You weren't kidding!

Yup. Crazy, right!?!?
  • edited April 2016
    Haha. I love conspiracy theories. I think Prince is really hiding out with Elvis and David Bowie. 

• Most conspiracy theories infuriate me- like the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting 3 years ago. People say that was all fake to rally for gun control. Like are you kidding me- who the F is crazy enough to "joke about/fake/stage" dead 5 year olds and their families?!?! NO.

• I have a friend who is a bit, erm, fervent about his political beliefs and thoughts on religion and such. He's a bit out there, but always came from a place of compassion for humanity and wanting what's best for everyone. And once or twice he has conceded that he was wrong about something. 

The world powers control the weather,  that's one I forgot. 
    There's a difference between conspiracy theories and other issues...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• jenna8984 said:

Most conspiracy theories infuriate me- like the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting 3 years ago. People say that was all fake to rally for gun control. Like are you kidding me- who the F is crazy enough to "joke about/fake/stage" dead 5 year olds and their families?!?! NO.

Yes, that one really bothers me.  There are also theories that the Boston Marathon bombing was a conspiracy. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:

Most conspiracy theories infuriate me- like the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting 3 years ago. People say that was all fake to rally for gun control. Like are you kidding me- who the F is crazy enough to "joke about/fake/stage" dead 5 year olds and their families?!?! NO.

I hear you there.  I don't think anyone would/could fake something like that on that large of a scale without it being found out, but I could see potential for people to be crazy enough to pay some kid to go in there and do the attack for political gain. Same with it being possible for people in our government to have been actively involved in allowing 9/11 to happen. I won't say that I believe that to be the actual case in either of those situations, but I could definitely see where it could be possible.  Crazier things have been done in the name of politics in the past to think it's not even a possibility. 

• This is timely for me actually. My usually very straight laced 67y/o father retired a few years ago, and to some extent I think he has struggled with the sudden wealth of time on his hands. I came home and he was watching one of those terrible cable shows with very low production values about the moon landings. When I asked him about it he launched into a big lecture about how we shouldn't just believe what the 'powers that be' tell us, and how he can see beyond what they want us to believe. How the pyramids were actually built by an alien race, and the usual stories about 9/11, JFK, and the moon landings  (of course). He was dead serious. I caught my mum's eye and we both cracked up, I think he was a bit upset but I couldn't help it! What do you say to that?!

• This is timely for me actually. My usually very straight laced 67y/o father retired a few years ago, and to some extent I think he has struggled with the sudden wealth of time on his hands. I came home and he was watching one of those terrible cable shows with very low production values about the moon landings. When I asked him about it he launched into a big lecture about how we shouldn't just believe what the 'powers that be' tell us, and how he can see beyond what they want us to believe. How the pyramids were actually built by an alien race, and the usual stories about 9/11, JFK, and the moon landings  (of course). He was dead serious. I caught my mum's eye and we both cracked up, I think he was a bit upset but I couldn't help it! What do you say to that?!
    Google Joe Rogan and the pyramids. Maybe because I was high when I watched it a long time ago, but it scarily seems plausible!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @Sherbie25 nooooooo, I don't dare encourage him further!

• I have heard people say that they think Trump is actually a liberal who is trying to pull a fast one on the GOP. I don't believe it, of course, but part of me wishes it was true, and that if Trump won, he would all of a sudden be a rational, moderate politician.
    I half thought this in the beginning!  I still think he never intended to become President but the idea took off and fed his ego enough that now he wants it. 

Theres been a huge crisis in Flint, MI in which government officials switched the water sources for the city and ignored all of the whistleblowers who complained for a year. As a result there's an insane amount of lead in the pipes and water (like 12,500 parts when there shouldn't be more than 15). The number of poisoned children is still yet to be seen but expected to be in the thousands, and 11 people died from Legionnaires disease.

Well, the first woman to file a lawsuit and the water treatment plant foreman were both found dead the same day. The woman was shot and killed and the man they are still investigating but claim no foul play, while he friends swear he wasn't on drugs or at risk for suicide. Not going to lie, it's a little too coincidental to not wonder what if. 
  • @Sherbie25 nooooooo, I don't dare encourage him further!
    http://youtu.be/Sf8R5ZlDiJg

You know you want to..!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• There's a woman at work who still insists that George W. seeded the clouds over Louisiana to purposely create Hurricane Katrina because he hates black people.

Fortunately she works on a different floor and on the rare occasions she's on my floor I can usually hear her before I see her, giving me time to hide.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Fortunately I don't run into too many people in my everyday life who go on about conspiracies... because I can't even! Usually I see them on FB (particularly the anti-vaxx, and climate change stuff).

However, my FIL has a whole range of conspiracies he comes up with to suit him. Most of it comes down to why things don't last. He complains that the roads in Canada suck compared to in Europe (maybe so- but everything is also better in Europe to him), but that the reason is because they are designed that way to create jobs. "No Dad. It's because Canada has a variable climate and the frequent shrink and expansion of material caused by the weather is what causes cracks. We (North America) also has a much more significant traffic (cars on the highway per day) as well as heavy truck transport compared to Europe"- says DH the engineer. But nope- people need jobs 20 years from now! He has many similar conspiracies.
  • I'm baffled by the theory that school shootings are made up propaganda; my cousin was killed in Columbine so I have a personal attachment to that one in particular. As much as I might wish it didn't happen because she would still be here, the simple fact is that it did, and I can guarantee that my family nor the families of any other school shooting victim hides their loved ones as a conspiracy. 

Today I had a patient tell me that the controller made him do "it". He believed that the world is actually like a giant sims game that government officials play with the general population as their sims. He also wouldn't let anyone come near him with a needle because he said the government was tracking him so they could stop him from revealing their true role.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm baffled by the theory that school shootings are made up propaganda; my cousin was killed in Columbine so I have a personal attachment to that one in particular. As much as I might wish it didn't happen because she would still be here, the simple fact is that it did, and I can guarantee that my family nor the families of any other school shooting victim hides their loved ones as a conspiracy. 

Today I had a patient tell me that the controller made him do "it". He believed that the world is actually like a giant sims game that government officials play with the general population as their sims. He also wouldn't let anyone come near him with a needle because he said the government was tracking him so they could stop him from revealing their true role.
    So sorry about your cousin. 

Your patient sounds like a schizophrenic. My sister works with a lot of people affected by it. It's  a truly cruel disease. She has one patient who believes the doctor keeps secretly switching his medicine so he refuses to take it. It's a double edged sword because he needs the medicine to handle daily skills but in his sick state believes the medicine is what causes the illness. 
  • Me and my cousins lived for conspiracy theories growing up. Ok, my favorite is kinda crazy: Human beings are a hybrid of Neanderthals (Homo Erectus) and a specific breed of Aliens (Anunnaki). It's a pretty specific conspiracy, with evidence dating back 450,000 years. It's believed there's a planet from another solar system that comes close to our orbit every 3600 years. On this planet is the Anunnaki, Alien giants that are way more advanced than us who would come visit us when the planets come close and help us advance. It would explain sudden bursts of golden ages. Why the pyramids were so mathematically perfect for its age. Also explains some Egyptian paintings that describe the solar system to the detail we know of today, with the planets at the correct positions, including an extra planet (The alien planet? Hmmm), even some drawings showing space ships. The theory thinks it's why Humans started religion. It's a pretty heavy conspiracy, but so interesting to read about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeow said:
    Me and my cousins lived for conspiracy theories growing up. Ok, my favorite is kinda crazy: Human beings are a hybrid of Neanderthals (Homo Erectus) and a specific breed of Aliens (Anunnaki). It's a pretty specific conspiracy, with evidence dating back 450,000 years. It's believed there's a planet from another solar system that comes close to our orbit every 3600 years. On this planet is the Anunnaki, Alien giants that are way more advanced than us who would come visit us when the planets come close and help us advance. It would explain sudden bursts of golden ages. Why the pyramids were so mathematically perfect for its age. Also explains some Egyptian paintings that describe the solar system to the detail we know of today, with the planets at the correct positions, including an extra planet (The alien planet? Hmmm), even some drawings showing space ships. The theory thinks it's why Humans started religion. It's a pretty heavy conspiracy, but so interesting to read about.
    I literally just finished playing a computer game that involves that conspiracy and finding an artifact left by the Annunaki. 
  • Here is the thing about conspiracy theories: the President of the United States couldn't keep a secret about who he got a beej from when only 2 people knew. Things like the moon landing/princess Diana 'murder' etc require thousands of people to swear on this pact and not tell, including members of the media. Things like the president allowing Katrina, 9/11- don't put down to malice what can be explained by good ol' incompetence. 

And Holocaust-denying?! That would quickly be an ex-friend. That is disgusting. 
  • jenna8984 said:

As someonexpected living in the state where this happened and who knows that a friend'save dad was a first responder, this one really posses me off.

• banana468 said:
    jenna8984 said:

As someonexpected living in the state where this happened and who knows that a friend'save dad was a first responder, this one really posses me off.

This. I was in Newtown the day after. No one faked this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards