Wedding Etiquette Forum

Spinoff poll- "causing a scene"

13»

Re: Spinoff poll- "causing a scene"

• I replied with "no" but to add to that - I'll admit I don't go to a lot of weddings.  Handful in the last 5 years, and one PPD.

• my dads cousin and his wife were fighting outside in the front of venue. venue is between two houses, he was drinking and he threw his glass and it hit one of the houses they hear or saw it and called police. my aunt and uncle were outside smoking and saw it, by the time cops came said cousin and his wife were inside at that point. my uncle told the cops that it was my wedding and he didn't want any trouble or the bride to find out he told the cop he would make sure it wouldn't happen again 
  • abl13abl13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    The best man at my BIL's wedding got too drunk and puked ALL over the men's bathroom. There was only one bathroom at the venue so a lot of people found out because it was impossible to use until it was cleaned. It definitely did not "ruin" anything except for the relationship between the groom and BM (which IMO getting too drunk is not really that big of a deal but BIL took it very personally).  
  • My late uncle was a terrible alcoholic. At my cousin's wedding 15 years ago, uncle (his father) walked into the ceremony 20 minutes late, shitfaced, interrupting the vows to tell everyone "that's my son!" Someone made coffee and FOG was able to pull it together for the reception, but cousin was absolutely mortified. 

At my own wedding, a friend got wasted and threw up on herself... during cocktail hour. I was lucky enough not to hear about it for a few days, but a few guests notice. I'm rating that a half scene. 
  • A lot of random silliness, but nothing that could be considered a scene.

My brother and teenage cousins threw little liquid balls from the flower arrangements (think tiny bath beads with thinner membranes) at each other at one cousin's wedding. My aunt (MOB) was not impressed.

At the same wedding, my Dad and my uncle (FOB) sang "Werewolves of London." (The videographer caught it, so my guess is that there's footage somewhere on YouTube.) 

At my brother's wedding, another cousin, my BFF from high school, and I were trying to get my then-BF out on the dance floor, so we pushed him out there, still in his seat.

At a yet another cousin's wedding, my Dad took off his tie and wrapped it around his forehead.

As if you couldn't tell, my family gets a little goofy when we're all together.
    Definitely not scenes, but lots of fun!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    abl13 said:
    The best man at my BIL's wedding got too drunk and puked ALL over the men's bathroom. There was only one bathroom at the venue so a lot of people found out because it was impossible to use until it was cleaned. It definitely did not "ruin" anything except for the relationship between the groom and BM (which IMO getting too drunk is not really that big of a deal but BIL took it very personally).  
    I think it is a big deal.  This is a wedding, not a frat party. Having drinks - fine.  Getting puke wasted - immature and irresponsible.  How did this jerk get home?
    Yes, I judge people who do not control their own behavior.

One of my most embarrassing experiences was at a business conference dinner.  Wine was being served, and I had several glasses.  Two hours later, I was running a fever and I threw up all over the ladies room.  They all assumed I was drunk.  Thank God, my DH was there to take me home!   I was in bed with the flu for three days, but nobody at the office believed me.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    abl13 said:
    I think it is a big deal.  This is a wedding, not a frat party. Having drinks - fine.  Getting puke wasted - immature and irresponsible.  How did this jerk get home?
    Yes, I judge people who do not control their own behavior.

One of my most embarrassing experiences was at a business conference dinner.  Wine was being served, and I had several glasses.  Two hours later, I was running a fever and I threw up all over the ladies room.  They all assumed I was drunk.  Thank God, my DH was there to take me home!   I was in bed with the flu for three days, but nobody at the office believed me.
    Ugh, I'm sorry but really, calling someone a jerk because they got too drunk? Lots of people got drunk at my wedding, young and old, some teachers and business men too, none of them immature or irresponsible. They all took cabs or walked to their hotels. Just because they're drunk doesn't mean they're going to do something dangerous like drink and drive. 
  • There was a minor scene caused at my wedding. By me. I was drunk (like way, way drunk) by the end and one of my BMs had left early without telling me goodbye, we had intended to go bar hopping after the reception, BM who left had been holding my ID and credit card so I had no ID and just had this image of my bar hopping in the wedding dress vision being totally ruined, so I drunk cried and made a fool of myself. We went out anyway and no one IDed the girl in the white dress and I got even drunker and had my phone stolen so I cried some more and my mom came to pick us (DH and me) up. 

Not my finest moment, but I guess no one can hold it against me considering it was my wedding day. Come to think of it, I have a habit of being the annoying, crying drunk girl (not at weddings, just in general), so I probably should have guessed I'd cause a scene. 
  • There was a minor scene caused at my wedding. By me. I was drunk (like way, way drunk) by the end and one of my BMs had left early without telling me goodbye, we had intended to go bar hopping after the reception, BM who left had been holding my ID and credit card so I had no ID and just had this image of my bar hopping in the wedding dress vision being totally ruined, so I drunk cried and made a fool of myself. We went out anyway and no one IDed the girl in the white dress and I got even drunker and had my phone stolen so I cried some more and my mom came to pick us (DH and me) up. 

Not my finest moment, but I guess no one can hold it against me considering it was my wedding day. Come to think of it, I have a habit of being the annoying, crying drunk girl (not at weddings, just in general), so I probably should have guessed I'd cause a scene. 
    It happens to the best of us. I long ago learned that I can drink almost anything, in large or small quantities, and be fine. Drunk and stupid, maybe, but mostly acting like a human being. 

Except tequila. Give me one shot of tequila and I will be in the corner sobbing within an hour. Sometimes with no idea why I'm such a mess, or only the flimsiest excuse. It's so bad, my whole friend group kniws never to serve me or allow me to be served tequila. 
  • @YourDogDontKnowSit  your story just makes me think of the song, "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, cryyy if I want to!"

• I have three decent scene stories; all from working events, none from attending (although that's how I voted).

Behind the scenes scene
    1.  A family was almost kicked out of their historic venue (Fox Theater downtown Detroit) for the copious amounts of cocaine being used in the ladies room.

2.  A groomsman at a wedding was so drunk that he fell off the platform the dance floor was on (while wearing only pants, cummerbund and bow tie) and refused to leave while being carried by quite a few of the larger guys from the catering company.

3.  The Bride's brother ran and attacked his brother in law (not groom) and slammed him into the bar.  He attacked him twice that night.  

The first two stories were at weddings for nationally recognizable families.
  • hackedhacked member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    I saw this thread, and could not resist.

This happened when I was a kid, probably in the mid-60's.  Things were different back then, and the bride, a student of my mother's, had a baby at 16 and had given it up for adoption.  The family had sent the girl away to a home for what was then called "wayward girls".  She had the baby and returned home and finished school.  The family never spoke of it nor did the girl talk about it to anyone.  I think my mother knew because she had to supply the girl with schoolwork.

When the girl was in her early 20's, she got married at a large wedding at her church.  I will never forget sitting there all caught up in the pretty dress and flowers, when the officiant asked "if anyone objects to this union" or whatever it is they say, and a man stands up and says he objects. He mentions the baby, and the bride bursts into tears.  The husband-to-be looks very surprised.  The officiant, also their pastor, confers with the family and they announce that the cake-and-punch reception in the church basement would be served while the family retired to the pastor's office.  No one from the family was seen again, nor did the wedding re-start.  I later heard the groom was very angry that he was not told and the wedding was called off.  The man who objected was a relative. I was just a kid and I thought the whole thing was great, since we got to eat early and a lot of people left, so we got larger than normal pieces of cake.  

Looking back at it now, I see it was probably a horrible experience for all involved.  People were more rigid and a lot more judgmental.  The picture of the bride in her gorgeous dress and her mother's veil crying is one that has stayed with me.  The lesson I got out of it was to be honest with your future mate.         
  • @hacked holy crap! That's really sad. 

• @hacked That's insane and extremely sad. :( 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• hacked said:
    I saw this thread, and could not resist.

This happened when I was a kid, probably in the mid-60's.  Things were different back then, and the bride, a student of my mother's, had a baby at 16 and had given it up for adoption.  The family had sent the girl away to a home for what was then called "wayward girls".  She had the baby and returned home and finished school.  The family never spoke of it nor did the girl talk about it to anyone.  I think my mother knew because she had to supply the girl with schoolwork.

When the girl was in her early 20's, she got married at a large wedding at her church.  I will never forget sitting there all caught up in the pretty dress and flowers, when the officiant asked "if anyone objects to this union" or whatever it is they say, and a man stands up and says he objects. He mentions the baby, and the bride bursts into tears.  The husband-to-be looks very surprised.  The officiant, also their pastor, confers with the family and they announce that the cake-and-punch reception in the church basement would be served while the family retired to the pastor's office.  No one from the family was seen again, nor did the wedding re-start.  I later heard the groom was very angry that he was not told and the wedding was called off.  The man who objected was a relative. I was just a kid and I thought the whole thing was great, since we got to eat early and a lot of people left, so we got larger than normal pieces of cake.  

Looking back at it now, I see it was probably a horrible experience for all involved.  People were more rigid and a lot more judgmental.  The picture of the bride in her gorgeous dress and her mother's veil crying is one that has stayed with me.  The lesson I got out of it was to be honest with your future mate.         
    Sadly that story doesn't surprise me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards