Budget Weddings Forum

Scaling way back

edited June 2016 in Budget Weddings Forum
FW and I had a couple of talks about the wedding, and for budget and other reasons, we're choosing to scale our plans back. She wanted a smaller wedding in the first place because her previous two were bigger productions and both marriages ended badly, but she was going along with my plans for something bigger. We're cutting our guest list to 50 max (fortunately we never did send Save the Dates, and we haven't sent invitations yet). We're cancelling our reservation for the pavilion; we're still having our wedding in the park, but it's going to be in the park itself (we're still renting or borrowing chairs and looking at options for a plan B in case of rain or extreme heat) with either a picnic, a reservation of a party room at one of our local restaurants, or a get-together at our house to follow.

I'm still adjusting a little to the change in plans, but I know that the important thing is that we're getting married. I'm feeling guilty because a couple of our friends and my family were excited about coming and now we're not going to be able to accommodate as many as we wanted. And I feel like a jerk for not listening to her about wanting a smaller wedding initially. 

Re: Scaling way back

• :hugs: Hang in there.  It'll all work out in the end.  Sounds like it's cupcake time.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I'm sure your wedding will be lovely, no matter its size.  <3

Enjoy your pound of frosting!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • yes, it still sounds lovely.  I think you'll have a great wedding, despite the cutback.  For me, it was so much fun to vendor shop, quote and get the more inexpensive price for the same thing.  It was like a game to me :)

• Definitely cupcake time! Just wanted to add I think it's great you're scaling back and hearing her when she said it was too much. 

Also, though it's your wedding too so maybe there are still ways to compromise so you're not giving up everything you had wanted/planned; say the 500-max guest list but still the pavilion? 
  • Definitely cupcake time! Just wanted to add I think it's great you're scaling back and hearing her when she said it was too much. 

Also, though it's your wedding too so maybe there are still ways to compromise so you're not giving up everything you had wanted/planned; say the 500-max guest list but still the pavilion? 
    The enclosed pavilion is too expensive, *but* there is a picnic area that we can reserve a section of for only $50 ($100 if we want two sections). The original venue was $95 an hour.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    I am sure your scaled back wedding will be just as lovely! Picnic in the park is nice :).

I think more people should have smaller, more simpler weddings.

I really enjoyed our wedding, but if I had to re-do it, I'd go with a brunch wedding.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The new plans sound lovely.  It's nice that you two are able to share with each other and be flexible as needs or hopes change.  Happy planning :)
  • Sounds great!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards