Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Tuxes

When should tuxedos be ordered? And should they match the BP? 

Re: Tuxes

• Options

Match as in coloured tuxedos to match same coloured dresses or coloured accents as part of a standard suit/tux? Personally, I would avoid anything matchy-matchy and consider pulling in pops of colour in pocket squares, bouts or even ties.

Tuxedo ordering will depend on if they are being rented or bought. Custom bought tuxes can take up to 9 months depending on the tailor.

• Options
    God no not matching tuxedos! Though that would be hilarious to see these 6'3'+ men walking down the aisle in purple tuxes. I meant like the vest and ties. 

I was feeling very naggy yesterday because the wedding is just over 90 days away and my FI hadn't made an appointment. 
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, the place we got ours from said they'd like to have all the measurements 3 to 4 weeks before.
  • Options
    @geebee908 okay I can calm down then. Where did yours come from? I think my FI set an appointment at Tuxedo Junction or Men's Wearhouse. 
  • Options
    It was a small local shop in our area. I'm sure a larger chain could accommodate that scheduling, but I suppose it would be best to call and find out what their timeline is.
  • Options
    God no not matching tuxedos! Though that would be hilarious to see these 6'3'+ men walking down the aisle in purple tuxes. I meant like the vest and ties. 

I was feeling very naggy yesterday because the wedding is just over 90 days away and my FI hadn't made an appointment. 
    One of my uncles had all his groomsmen wearing baby blue tuxedos, matching the bridesmaids' dresses. Granted, this was in the 1970s, but still.
  • Options
    That actually looks sharp, but not all men could pull it off.
  • Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I would skip matching vests for sure, and probably ties. I think it just seems outdated. A classic black or gray looks so sharp no matter what color bridesmaid dress. 

I used Mens Warehouse. I'm pretty sure measurements needed in either 30 or 60 days ahead of time. They have an online thing that you can log in and see who has gotten them done already so you can (gently) remind any stragglers. 
  • Options
    cgss11 said:
    I would skip matching vests for sure, and probably ties. I think it just seems outdated. A classic black or gray looks so sharp no matter what color bridesmaid dress. 

I used Mens Warehouse. I'm pretty sure measurements needed in either 30 or 60 days ahead of time. They have an online thing that you can log in and see who has gotten them done already so you can (gently) remind any stragglers. 
    There's just the groom, BM, and one other GM so hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle to get them all measured. The tux I built online was charcoal with purple vests and ties, if I remember correctly. I don't get a say in what he wears, though. I was going to call Men's Wearhouse and tell them what I wanted but FI finally made an appointment. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with. I think he's going to go very traditional.
  • Options
    cgss11 said:

There's just the groom, BM, and one other GM so hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle to get them all measured. The tux I built online was charcoal with purple vests and ties, if I remember correctly. I don't get a say in what he wears, though. I was going to call Men's Wearhouse and tell them what I wanted but FI finally made an appointment. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with. I think he's going to go very traditional.
    A purple bout or pocket square would look good. I agree that purple  vests might look dated. Not too sure about tie.
  • Options
    cgss11 said:

Tuxedos should be BLACK.  As for ties, well, they call it"black tie" for a reason.  Anything else is a passing fad.  Think James Bond.  You can use the purple in their buttonnieres.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    cgss11 said:

Tuxedos should be BLACK.  As for ties, well, they call it"black tie" for a reason.  Anything else is a passing fad.  Think James Bond.  You can use the purple in their buttonnieres.
    Mmmm. . . James Bond. I'm sorry, what was the topic?
  • Options
    Always the same shit every time someone wants to do something that isn't classic. Every time from you! What people wear isn't etiquette. I don't understand why a passing fad (or a trend) is a bad thing? Not everyone wants to look traditional, and they don't have to. Though it sounds like OP's FI actually want to go the traditional route, which I'm sure you'll be very relieved to hear so no need to worry.

Eta: wasn't finished
    Not that traditional. They're all wearing Converse as am I and my BMs. I do believe he'll do a black tux, though I have no idea what else. I offered to go with him but he correctly read between the lines that I wanted a say and told me that I needed to trust him so that's what I'm doing. Our appearance will be a surprise to each of us on the big day. 
  • Options
    My husband got his tuxes from Joseph A. Banks and I want to say the deadline to get measured was only something like two weeks before. We were in a few months before and then just let everyone know the deadline, and the tuxes were in the Thursday before our wedding, so they're pretty quick and allowed a few days for alterations if needed.

Also, our groomsmen wore charcoal tuxes and I LOVED them. They were tuxes (per Joseph A. Banks) with black lapels and I thought they looked really sharp.
  • Options
    My husband got his tuxes from Joseph A. Banks and I want to say the deadline to get measured was only something like two weeks before. We were in a few months before and then just let everyone know the deadline, and the tuxes were in the Thursday before our wedding, so they're pretty quick and allowed a few days for alterations if needed.

Also, our groomsmen wore charcoal tuxes and I LOVED them. They were tuxes (per Joseph A. Banks) with black lapels and I thought they looked really sharp.
    They're still tuxes per Men's Wearhouse and Tuxedo Junction, too. A "proper" tuxedo is black or midnight blue, but what usually separates a suit from a tuxedo is that a tuxedo has satin on the lapel of the jacket and down the seam of the pant legs.
  • Options
    Always the same shit every time someone wants to do something that isn't classic. Every time from you! What people wear isn't etiquette. I don't understand why a passing fad (or a trend) is a bad thing? Not everyone wants to look traditional, and they don't have to. Though it sounds like OP's FI actually want to go the traditional route, which I'm sure you'll be very relieved to hear so no need to worry.

Not that traditional. They're all wearing Converse as am I and my BMs. I do believe he'll do a black tux, though I have no idea what else. I offered to go with him but he correctly read between the lines that I wanted a say and told me that I needed to trust him so that's what I'm doing. Our appearance will be a surprise to each of us on the big day. 
    Wooh if you think the coloured tux set her off..!
    Im also wearing converse. Check out a site called Dead Fresh, great customised Converse.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    CMGragain said:
    cgss11 said:

Unfortunately, many Americans do not understand men's dress codes.   For many grooms, their wedding is the only time, other than high school prom, where they will wear one.  Many posters do not know the difference between a suit and a tuxedo.  Sad.
    The employees at places like Men's Wearhouse are there to make money.  They do not care if the groom is well dressed, or not.
    Shit?  Excuse me?  This is not the Etiquette site.  I am not giving etiquette advice.  I am giving men's dress code advice.  If someone wants to wear Converse shoes at their wedding, that is their choice, as long as they know that it is not the acceptable, traditional dress.  Same with cowboy boots.
    The bridal couple may decide to be married in clown costume if they really wish to...but it might just upset some relatives.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Can we just stop judging how people want to dress themselves? Judging relatives can take a hike on this issue. Unless you're going to a place with a dress code, I don't really see how it's anyone else's business.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    This isn't about rigid rules.  It is about knowing what the traditional dress rules ARE before deciding to do something different.

About judging people - get real.  Everybody judges people by how they dress and present themselves.  Ever been on a job interview?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    This isn't about rigid rules.  It is about knowing what the traditional dress rules ARE before deciding to do something different.

About judging people - get real.  Everybody judges people by how they dress and present themselves.  Ever been on a job interview?
    I guess I don't understand why knowing what the traditional rules are matters. A job interview is different from a wedding. I don't think anyone would be upset or judge if the groom and GM wore a tuxedo other than black as long as the whole scene is coherent (i.e. if the BP is wearing formal, the GM are not in cargo shorts and flip flops). 
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    CMGragain said:
    cgss11 said:

Unfortunately, many Americans do not understand men's dress codes.   For many grooms, their wedding is the only time, other than high school prom, where they will wear one.  Many posters do not know the difference between a suit and a tuxedo.  Sad.
    The employees at places like Men's Wearhouse are there to make money.  They do not care if the groom is well dressed, or not.
    Shit?  Excuse me?  This is not the Etiquette site.  I am not giving etiquette advice.  I am giving men's dress code advice.  If someone wants to wear Converse shoes at their wedding, that is their choice, as long as they know that it is not the acceptable, traditional dress.  Samye with cowboy boots.
    The bridal couple may decide to be married in clown costume if they really wish to...but it might just upset some relatives.
    It's the bolded I (and I think others) have a problem with. It's fine to say it's not tradition, but to say that it is unacceptable is unnecessary, and in my opinion a little rude. It's not unacceptable to wear suits instead of tuxes at an evening wedding, it's not unacceptable to wear tuxes before 6pm. Sure it's not traditional, but to imply that people are doing something so rude or uncalled for that it should not be accepted by their guests is ludicrous. 
  • Options

They're still tuxes per Men's Wearhouse and Tuxedo Junction, too. A "proper" tuxedo is black or midnight blue, but what usually separates a suit from a tuxedo is that a tuxedo has satin on the lapel of the jacket and down the seam of the pant legs.
    This thread reminded me of Father of the Bride:
    "Armahni doesn't make a blahhck tuxahhdo."

• Options

An underrated movie (both original and remake).
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

If it isn't about rules then why do you keep mentioning 'the rules'? I also really don't understand why someone needs to know what traditional dress rules are before they break them. Fancy wearing a purple tux to your wedding? Great, have at it since its no one elses call what you want to wear. 

• Options

A-hem.

Ahhrmahhhni does no make a blue tuxadhho. 

Armanhi don't also make polyester. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards