Attire & Accessories Forum

How Should I Define Dress Code/Expectations to Guests?

For our upcoming wedding, the dress code will be a bit off beat. The bride will be wearing a traditional (but modest) white wedding dress, and the groom will be in dark jeans, dress boots, a white button down, and suspenders.

We would like the guests to feel free to dress at whatever level of attire they feel inclined to, within the bounds of what the groom is wearing and up. Casual dress would be acceptable, but not "flip flops, and t-shirt casual."
How can we communicate this to guests effectively, and prevent people from showing up feeling over dressed - or under dressed?

Re: How Should I Define Dress Code/Expectations to Guests?

• For our upcoming wedding, the dress code will be a bit off beat. The bride will be wearing a traditional (but modest) white wedding dress, and the groom will be in dark jeans, dress boots, a white button down, and suspenders.

We would like the guests to feel free to dress at whatever level of attire they feel inclined to, within the bounds of what the groom is wearing and up. Casual dress would be acceptable, but not "flip flops, and t-shirt casual."
    How can we communicate this to guests effectively, and prevent people from showing up feeling over dressed - or under dressed?
    Jic
  • You're having a casual wedding. If the groom is in jeans I fail to see how anyone else could possibly be underdressed, or what you wearing a modest dress has to do with anything. 
  • You don't tell your guests what to wear. Problem solved. 
  • I think most adults know that it's not appropriate to wear flip-flops to a wedding. I think you'll find that your guests are going to dress nicer than your groom because most people don't wear jeans to a wedding.
  • You shouldn't. Like others mentioned above, adults know how to dress themselves. If you don't say anything, guests will wear typical party attire, and I highly doubt anyone will dress more casually than your groom. 

• Unless your venue has a dress code, you don't tell guests what to wear. You and your family might mention to friends that the groom is wearing jeans, and that would be enough for me to know how to dress. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Your concerns for your wedding are all kinds of messed up - go back to the drawing board.

• Your guests can figure out what to wear, no need for dress codes...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards