Snarky Brides

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• What in the actual fuck?  Who are you renting from, a hitman, bookie or the mafia?
    Hey, hey now, I used to rent from a Hell's Angel, best-landlord-ever! Safe building, all repairs done in a timely manner and super nice guy. However, I never missed a rent payment because I know how to adult.
  • @coffeeparty My wedding is the 10th, my surgery is the 12th. I'm not dead yet so I think I can manage. Hell yeah it hurts BUT I still have a life and things to do. There are certain things I can take that lessen the pain. 

@banana468 I see my surgeon on the 12th to get it removed. I'm on a very special, very bleak diet. I'll be really happy when it's all over!
  • @tigerlily6 I agree! Our last landlord was a saint. We never had any problems with her. The "people" we rent from now are a company with over 1000 tenants over the tristate between the 2 of them. I wish they disclosed that before we moved. I like the one on one connection you can build from having one decent landlord who owns the property you rent versus 2 people who manage multiple properties who claim they're the landlord yet they're not.

Nonetheless! That's great you got your security deposit back. I'm glad I have hard wood floors now because my youngest cat likes to knead on carpet lol. 
  • Our rent is technically due the 1st, but the lease then also adds elsewhere that it's due "within the first five days after the month. After this, rent is considered late and a fee will be assessed." So thankfully we have a little window. Weddings can be a bit hectic, and I admit, for the first time ever, we dropped the ball getting rent in by the first this month (normally I'm pretty anal about that, but it completely slipped my mind last week). But it was in by the 3rd, the day after our wedding. We paid in cash so the landlords could get in in ASAP without any processing. They also knew we were getting married as we communicate with them fairly regularly, so they were pretty nice about it. 

We had a much stricter landlord two years ago. If rent wasn't in on the 1st she would fine. But she was just one person, not a company like we rent from now. As some PPs have noted, landlords are people too and our rent pays their bills. My general experience, tho, is that if you are kind enough to give them a head's up about issues, they will work with you. We have a dog that once chewed a big hole in the carpet two weeks before move-out. My at-the-time- FI felt that the deposit was a lost cause at that point and we may as well just leave the carpet discovery for the check-out inspection, but I insisted we needed to call then and there so they could fix it quickly before the next people moved in. We did call and reported the damage that day, and the landlord was SO thankful. I was terrified she would be cranky and mad, but she was so grateful we let her know so she could arrange for repair in time. Turned out to be a minimal repair cost (less than $100 for the room to be re carpeted), and we got all the rest of our deposit back. Moral of the story: pays to be a decent person and communicate with your landlord when things go awry. 

As someone who owns four rental units...OMG, yes on that!!!

I allow dogs, no restriction on size, in one of my units.  I had a short term tenant with a 75 lb. black lab who majorly scratched up the front door and bathroom door frames within the first week they were living there.  She told me about it when it happened, but said she would fix it, though she was going to wait until a couple days before they moved out, just in case he did it again.

Sure to her word, not only did she fix the bottom part of the door frame, but since she was working on the door anyway, she also fixed a couple divets at the top that were there from before they moved in.  Needless to say, I was extra happy to give back her security deposit.

It is a fine line, though.  On the one hand, I prefer to be understanding when OCCASIONALLY things come up and someone is going to be a few days late or what not...as long as they let me know what is going on.  That has usually worked out well for me, but I had my first batch of bad apples last year.  I gave them an inch and they took a mile.  I'm sure they saw me as a sucker because I'm a sane and reasonable person who made the mistake of trying to work with them.  Wondering how much of  a "sucker" they think I am after I sue them for $1700, than have her wages and their tax returns garnished.

But back to the OP.  Obviously it was totally inappropriate for you all to be late on your rent just because you were getting married.  PPs have strongly covered that.  However, your landlord's behavior was egregious and unacceptable on a number of issues.  And,quite frankly, totally unnecessary.  The eviction process is well worn ground in every state and crystal clear.  A 3 or 5 day "Pay or Quit" notice posted to the door does all the talking (or whatever the time frame is in any particular state).

However, people are people, and some of them unfortunately have very bad tempers.  Just like there are both really bad tenants and really bad landlords out there.

Oops!  I just saw how old this post was.  Hope you had a great wedding and worked things out with your landlords.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lol this whole thread is nuts.

I'm not sure why the initial criticism of MrsPeacock was so harsh since even if you're a little late on your rent, the landlord's actions seem highly inappropriate and possibly illegal (assuming her story is true, of course).  I'm not saying its ok to pay your rent late, but I'd vent too if my landlord reacted that way.

But then I have no idea why she went off on Climbingwife.  That just made you look crazy, MrsPeacock.  And therefore even less likely to believe your story.

SaveSave
  • monkeysip said:
    Lol this whole thread is nuts.

I'm not sure why the initial criticism of MrsPeacock was so harsh since even if you're a little late on your rent, the landlord's actions seem highly inappropriate and possibly illegal (assuming her story is true, of course).  I'm not saying its ok to pay your rent late, but I'd vent too if my landlord reacted that way.

But then I have no idea why she went off on Climbingwife.  That just made you look crazy, MrsPeacock.  And therefore even less likely to believe your story.
    You'd have had to have seen the original post before she changed it. She went off on climbingwife because climbingwife called her out on her BS. 
  • monkeysip said:

You'd have had to have seen the original post before she changed it. She went off on climbingwife because climbingwife called her out on her BS. 
    No, I saw the quoted parts later.  I know why she responded to Climbingwife, it just seemed like the reply was way out of proportion to what Climbingwife said!  Climbing may have been blunt, but MrsPeacock got all personal.  

SaveSave
  • monkeysip said:
    No, I saw the quoted parts later.  I know why she responded to Climbingwife, it just seemed like the reply was way out of proportion to what Climbingwife said!  Climbing may have been blunt, but MrsPeacock got all personal.  
    I didn't realize someone had posted her OP which was actually changed to include more information that originally stated. 
  • monkeysip said:

It would be illegal to enter the house without their permission (trespassing) or it being an emergency.*  I can't remember if he threatened them with physical harm (crime) or just threatened their property.  Obviously vandalism itself is a crime, but I'm not sure if threatening vandalism is.

*A caveat to that is, in most jurisdictions, a landlord/property manager can enter a tenant's house if the tenant is given 24 hours notice of when it will be happening and why...even if the tenant does not agree with the entry.  That last part typically only happens if there is already bad blood going on.  I personally have never had an issue with a tenant allowing me access, like for a repair, when I have requested it in advance.  I also usually try to schedule things like that at a time that is also convenient for them (if I can).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • monkeysip said:

It would be illegal to enter the house without their permission (trespassing) or it being an emergency.*  I can't remember if he threatened them with physical harm (crime) or just threatened their property.  Obviously vandalism itself is a crime, but I'm not sure if threatening vandalism is.

*A caveat to that is, in most jurisdictions, a landlord/property manager can enter a tenant's house if the tenant is given 24 hours notice of when it will be happening and why...even if the tenant does not agree with the entry.  That last part typically only happens if there is already bad blood going on.  I personally have never had an issue with a tenant allowing me access, like for a repair, when I have requested it in advance.  I also usually try to schedule things like that at a time that is also convenient for them (if I can).

Would it necessarily be illegal to enter without permission?  I'm in PA, which if I remember correctly is the same state as OP.  Our lease says that the landlord can inspect the property at any time they deem "reasonable," and I've seen that in previous leases too.  It doesn't mention notice at all, though I don't know the law.
  • monkeysip said:

Would it necessarily be illegal to enter without permission?  I'm in PA, which if I remember correctly is the same state as OP.  Our lease says that the landlord can inspect the property at any time they deem "reasonable," and I've seen that in previous leases too.  It doesn't mention notice at all, though I don't know the law.

Tenant/landlord laws can actually vary greatly by state and even by counties within a state.  Though there is a lot of pretty standard stuff that is true across most jurisdictions.  Giving the tenant 24 hours notice to enter the premises, with the exception of emergencies, is generally one of them.  Less notice than 24 hours is also okay, if the tenant okays it.  However, it is possible that could vary by jurisdiction also.

It could also be the clauses you are referring to are something those landlord(s) threw in and wouldn't technically follow landlord/tenant law for your area in terms of "notice" if they just popped in one day.  To me, "reasonable" is a very wishy-washy term.  What is reasonable to me, may not be reasonable to my tenant. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2016
  • edited August 2016
  • edited August 2016
  • @short+sassy My wedding was spectacular, Thanks! And those two guys, it turned out neither of them were the landlord at all. The real landlady is a 68 year old in New York. The hostile guy wasn't even employed by the landlady, he was sub hired by the property manager because the property manager was too lazy to collect rent from 5 buildings according to the landlady. Needless to say she fired the property manager and got a new company who actually is a million times better! The last property manager aka wanna be landlord tried to convince the landlady to sell him the property as a straw mortgage, that was also another decision as to why she sacked him. Things have been great for the Peacocks since she hired new management. 
  • @kimmiinthemitten People brought up an old thread, I had an update. The old float n' gloat. 
  • @DrillSergeantCat Good for you! Stay miserable darling. <3
  • edited August 2016
  • scrunchythiefscrunchythief member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    @scrunchythief State statue says 24 hours notice, doesn't matter what is in your lease. https://www.landlordology.com/pennsylvania-landlord-tenant-laws/ The office laws etc are here. I hope this helps! 
    I don't want this to come back to bite you.  If I was determined I might be able to convince a judge that anything less than 24 hours was unreasonable.  But I signed the lease and it doesn't seem expressly against the law.  

• "Required Notice before Entry: No exact amount of time is specified but generally 24 hours is recommended."-from your link
    Edited b/c TK ate my post.
  • I call total BS on the fact that in a month's time you not only filed a claim, but already went to court and won. Nice try though (not really). 

ETA: oh, and you had surgery for gallstones right after the wedding too, right? 
    My thoughts exactly. She was too busy to pay her rent on time because of the wedding, but suddenly had time to get married, take a honeymoon, have surgery, file a claim, go to court and win? I think JLaw can say it better than I can:

Did this raccoon come and file your claim for you whilst you were on honeymoon? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBCyBYcyxo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards