Chit Chat

Pokemon Go!

My fellow millenialssss, I feel like Ash! I think this game is really bringing people together. Can't wait for the bug fixes though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pokemon Go!

• The dog park was crazy with pokemon today

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Wait, that's what this is? I just came back from an accident that was caused by a kid playing Pokemon Go while driving. I had no idea this was a thing!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is essentially a backdoor into your phone. 
  • Someone fell off a bridge and died trying to catch one, and car accidents are happening. It's ridiculous. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm playing, but I'm also not a moron. I let my FI do the driving, or I let my 13yr old ds do the catchin.  The worst thing that happened here was falling on my butt when I slipped in a muddy spot.  

BUT I had over 8k steps done before noon!
                            AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

• What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    Yeah this game was bound to bring out idiots... It would be great to disable the game if the person is going over the typical walking speed, it would suck for passengers but that may be worth the safety risks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was on vacation, and 4 days later I come back and my Facebook is almost nothing but references to this...

...what?  Like...I mean... what?  WHAT IS IT??

My husband doesn't even know what it is but is excited about Pokemon.

SaveSave
  • It's going to increase the cell phone struggle in my classroom this fall, I'm sure. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • DH took Siri snorkelling yesterday, and I don't have a phone, so hopefully we'll miss out on this one.  ;)

• H is playing this, and I wish they just wouldn't put Pokemon in roads.  I guess it would be fine for kids playing in the back seat of their parents' car or whatever, but there are way too many adults out there, such as H, that think they can handle driving and catching Pokemon.  Also there seem to be a lot of Pokemon on other people's lawns and stuff, which is weird...Are they trying to encourage trespassing?  I guess you don't have to actually go onto the lawn to catch the Pokemon, but still.  It's weird.
  • I just got home from working my shift at the firehouse and we had 6 incidents involving Pokemon Go - 1 pedestrian involved, 4 car accidents, and 1 person who fell down the steps and busted their head open. I guess it could encourage activity or togetherness or something like that, but it clearly won't do much for the distracted driving issue.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    missfrodo said:
    H is playing this, and I wish they just wouldn't put Pokemon in roads.  I guess it would be fine for kids playing in the back seat of their parents' car or whatever, but there are way too many adults out there, such as H, that think they can handle driving and catching Pokemon.  Also there seem to be a lot of Pokemon on other people's lawns and stuff, which is weird...Are they trying to encourage trespassing?  I guess you don't have to actually go onto the lawn to catch the Pokemon, but still.  It's weird.
    Yeah I discovered yesterday that you can be pretty far from the Pokemon, you just need to tap it on the map (for those middle of the road or trespassing issues)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My H is playing, I'm not yet because the backdoor version for Android in Canada doesn't want to work on my phone.

Anyways .... I actually like how certain things make you walk. Want to hatch that egg? Walk! Want to find more pokemon or hit new pokestops? WALK!

I just want it to release in Canada for Android so I can start! lmao

random fact: he seems to get a lot of pokemon on his crotch. Uhm ... 
  • I had no idea what this was until DS2(home from college) texted us while we were at dinner Friday night saying he was going for a walk. What???? When we got home he explained why he went for a walk (which he never does). At least he is getting some exercise instead of playing games on the couch all day. I will talk to him about safety issues, though.
  • My H is playing, I'm not yet because the backdoor version for Android in Canada doesn't want to work on my phone.

Anyways .... I actually like how certain things make you walk. Want to hatch that egg? Walk! Want to find more pokemon or hit new pokestops? WALK!

My fiancé is obsessing over the fact it hasn't released in Canada yet. He keeps checking the page and is sad that it still says "coming soon". 
  • I'm not a fan of pokemon but I am a fan of doing something other than watching TV or movies with the FI.....is this something that could be played as a couple?  

• I was just in wine country with some friends and one of the guys apparently caught a lot of boozing pokemons. 

I don't get it. 

• I feel like I did when I first encountered LARPing...totally confused.

Is this like geocaching but with Pokemon characters?  Do you have to know what the characters are, do they have special traits?  I'm clearly not a millennial LOL.
  • @anidorikiladra  urg I keep watching also :( My H has it on his android but my phone wants to constantly be a jerk >.<
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    My H is playing, I'm not yet because the backdoor version for Android in Canada doesn't want to work on my phone.

My fiancé is obsessing over the fact it hasn't released in Canada yet. He keeps checking the page and is sad that it still says "coming soon". 
    Some people are playing it in Canada.  They're doing something with their phone to make it look like they're in the US (don't ask me what).  A teammate is complaining about all the people in her yard looking for Pokemons

ETA - We just downloaded it, to see what all the fuss was about, but the old phone we're using keeps crashing, so I don't think it can handle the app.  Maybe once DH get his new phone back home

• I'm not a fan of pokemon but I am a fan of doing something other than watching TV or movies with the FI.....is this something that could be played as a couple?  

Definitely! Me and FI went for an evening walk yesterday for about an hour and it was lovely to just talk and have fun instead of popping on a TV show after dinner. You don't have to be glued to your phone either, if you just leave the app open or put it on battery saver and it will vibrate to let you know that there's a pokemon in catching distance. We are major nerds though haha 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I downloaded it, and then H did after I was trying to play. I am terrible at throwing the ball at them so it takes me forever to catch it. I did notice a ton of Pokestops right by work so might have to take a walk
  • I'm an omh, so ya know...
    Is anyone concerned about the full access to your Google account? I was considering downloading it for shits and giggles, but glad I didn't after hearing about the data mining.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• @photokitty I haven't really heard anything about that but you can use it without it accessing your Google account at all, just sign up with a pokemon trainer account and you can still play safely.
  • Yeah, I'm good. I'd seen enough people nearly get hit staring at their phone or running into traffic to turn me off.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• So. Many. Questions. I just want to know what the game is and how it works!

So basically it's a game that uses your location to put little virtual characters here and there. And you're supposed to walk over to them and try to catch them? That's it? (I mean basically that's it, I'm sure there's a bit more.)

*********************************************************************************

• MCmeowMCmeow member
    Yeah, I'm good. I'd seen enough people nearly get hit staring at their phone or running into traffic to turn me off.
    That's the dumb people ruining it for the rest of us. It's very easy to pay attention to your surroundings with this game especially since the phones alert you when Pokemon are near. Although I admit I'm addicted, yesterday at work I saw a kabutops in my radar and this was me:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards