Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding Crasher -- Baby

A friend-colleague had a baby about 5 months ago and is invited to the wedding. She knows that it's a child-free wedding and reception but has asked me to lift to rule just for her. I'm really uncomfortable with being super blunt but I did indicate that wasn't really an option. Now, whenever the wedding comes up she talks about how she's going to be the only one there "with a baby on her boob." I usually give her a "haha...very funny look" and don't affirm that this is ok. It's becoming clear that she may actually do it. It's a very fussy child so it's presence will not go unnoticed. 

Help, I really like her and don't want to make our friendship/working relationship awkward. 

Re: Wedding Crasher -- Baby

• So, is the entire purpose of this board for people to shame the original posters actually asking for help? 
  • So, is the entire purpose of this board for people to shame the original posters actually asking for help? 
    Who shamed you?  
    No one was shaming, just explaining to you that you have a couple of options, neither of which is exactly what you want. You either need to accept that this baby will be there or your friend [most likely] won't, since (as PPs shared) breastfeeding babies can't really be away from their mothers for all that long, they need to eat constantly and some won't take bottles or just would prefer the food source they're used to. Also new parents can be pretty hesitant to leave their baby with a sitter, the 16 year old down the block can't watch a 6 months old, you need an experienced sitter for that and they're hard to find/more expensive and even then the parents might not feel comfortable leaving the baby.

Once you decide which is the lesser of two evils, you need to clearly explain to your friend what your decision is, as you can tell dancing around the issue just makes her think her baby is allowed, you not being clear is hurting both of you and if you can't make a decision and express it you're just going to hurt her feelings and your relationship if you let this hang. You should have told her right away that either her baby was or was not definitely welcome, so she could figure out her plans.

This isn't a unique issue and people being blunt or straightforward is in no ways shaming.
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    So you definitely do not need to invite the baby. But even if you do, it might be ok.

I took my baby to church twice when she was 4 months old. She slept the entire time both times.
    I've personally taken her to three restaurants. She slept the entire time 2/3 and was only mildly fussy at the third.
    And she is now 6 months old. My mom has been taking her out to dinner with her 1-2 a week since she was 3 months old. She almost never has a problem.

All babies are different. But it's totally possible the child will sleep and/or just quietly feed the entire time. (not guaranteed. But possible!)
  •  I only allowed my nieces and nephews at my wedding.  I did not make an exception for babies.    I can honestly say not one decline came from someone who had kids (and a few of them had babies under the age of one).  Some  had a babysitter hang back at the hotel.  Others left their kids back home.

I have zero regrets over my choice.

That all said, unlike you I was VERY clear on our choice.  Other than my nieces and nephew,  kids, regardless of age were not invited and will not be allowed.  At no time was a vague about our choice.

Stop giving her the impression that the baby is welcome.   Let her know you understand if she is not able to attend because of the baby, but he/she will not be welcomed.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited July 2016
    A friend-colleague had a baby about 5 months ago and is invited to the wedding. She knows that it's a child-free wedding and reception but has asked me to lift to rule just for her. I'm really uncomfortable with being super blunt but I did indicate that wasn't really an option. Now, whenever the wedding comes up she talks about how she's going to be the only one there "with a baby on her boob." I usually give her a "haha...very funny look" and don't affirm that this is ok. It's becoming clear that she may actually do it. It's a very fussy child so it's presence will not go unnoticed. 

Help, I really like her and don't want to make our friendship/working relationship awkward. 

STUCK IN BOX

OMG, bitches be cray, amiright?

"Friend, you're so funny! But... you're not bringing it, right? I can't lift the no-kids rule, that's not fair to anyone else with kids. Don't you and [significant other] want a night off from parenting? Just get a sitter and pump. What's the problem? Can't wait to do shots and hit the dance floor with you!"

OP, you got great, reasonable responses- not shaming responses. If you were more expecting what I just put in quotes, sarcastically, then ... I don't know what to tell you.

I had a kids-free wedding and my close friend with a 6 week old was able to come without the child. That was her choice and she managed it. Not everyone else will make the same choice (and I did actually tell her she could bring the infant). 

Edit: age of child, whoops

• Yeah, no one shamed you. It was pointed out to you the reasons why your friend might want her nursing child with her as well as the fact that she may decline if you say no. 

Banana has some very good points, I'd like to point out more. I know several babies around your friend's baby's age who will not take to a bottle for a multitude of reasons, your friend's baby may be one of those.

Also, I didn't go back to work until my son was 7 months old and I was lucky enough to be within walking distance to home and was able to nurse on breaks and lunches, which my employer had to make provisions for. He was also eating solids by that point. At 5 months, not so much. 
  • If you invited me and my FI knowing we have a 5 month old baby and did not specifically tell me he's not invited (he not it), then I would bring him. He's not taking up an extra seat or eating any of your purchased food. I think of my baby as an extension of myself. If you told me he was absolutely not welcome, I'm not sure what I would do.
  • kaos16 said:
    If you invited me and my FI knowing we have a 5 month old baby and did not specifically tell me he's not invited (he not it), then I would bring him. He's not taking up an extra seat or eating any of your purchased food. I think of my baby as an extension of myself. If you told me he was absolutely not welcome, I'm not sure what I would do.

I have a baby of about the same age. . . . I wouldn't bring him with me to a wedding unless his name was included on the invitation.  If the invitation is addressed to only DH and I, little man will be staying home. I would only bring him if I was specifically told that he WAS invited.
    This is why it's important for OP to say something!
  • @kaos16, @DrillSergeantCat  -   I'd totally want your adorable babies at my wedding!  SO CUTE!
    So would I! Our wedding is kid-friendly, but even if it weren't, I'd make an exception for young babies, especially those two!
  • I had a relatively new baby when a friend got married. My children were not invited, nor did I expect them to be. I was also nursing at the time. We missed (skipped) the ceremony completely because it was not near my house and it would have been too long of a day. We went to the reception/dinner for a few hours and then went home. She completely understood and said she would have done the same thing. It all worked out. Offer that option to your friend or relent and let the baby come along.
  • banana468 said:
    Do you want me to talk about how many times a night DS woke up on our vacation or how there's a hand foot and mouth outbreak going through the daycare? 

Or maybe we can talk about side effects of pregnancy and delivery like tearing and hemorrhoids. 
    Omg I just had hand foot and mouth. So awful. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards