Snarky Brides

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1235»

Re: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• AddieCake said:
    Am I drunk again?  WTF is happening?
    It's never too early to start!

• banana468 said:
    Have you heard of deductibles?? Wear and tear?  I think you're really naive about what you think it's going to cost to own.    Owning a home means you need an oh crap fund.   Home warranties can be a joke to deal with and insurance won't cover all of it.    

When DH had to fix the water pipe from our leaking toilet that was on us.    When the water holding tank died and cost $300 to repair that's on us.   When our dishwasher broke because it was a POS that was our cost.   There's no special first time home buyer no repair cost clause.   
    FW has her heart set on buying a house, and I keep reminding her that owning means we pay for what breaks. This is why I want to get out of debt and start saving first, before we even think about buying.
  • Stuff breaks when you least expect it (see post in chit chat).    But of course I should expect someone nearly half my age to know it all.  
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    banana468 said:
    Have you heard of deductibles?? Wear and tear?  I think you're really naive about what you think it's going to cost to own.    Owning a home means you need an oh crap fund.   Home warranties can be a joke to deal with and insurance won't cover all of it.    

When DH had to fix the water pipe from our leaking toilet that was on us.    When the water holding tank died and cost $300 to repair that's on us.   When our dishwasher broke because it was a POS that was our cost.   There's no special first time home buyer no repair cost clause.   
    FW has her heart set on buying a house, and I keep reminding her that owning means we pay for what breaks. This is why I want to get out of debt and start saving first, before we even think about buying.
    Like I said earlier it's not all doom and gloom, but it's not joke either.   Smart to have as much debt paid off as possible.   Helps with getting the mortgage also as the amount you can borrow lowers by the amount of debt you have.

Also save as much as possible.  Some lenders require a few months expenses saved IN ADDITION to your down payment.   That way when you have... IDK... to get married you can still pay your bills on time that month.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Years ago, when we were selling our first house, we were delighted to get an offer from a young couple.  They had plenty of income and savings for the down payment.
    Oops.  Forgot something.  They had been a few days late on five car payments.  Guess what?  No one would loan them the money to buy our house.  We tried everything.  Nope.  Those slightly late car payments would haunt them for the next few years.
    We finally sold the house to someone else with an excellent credit rating, but for less money than we had hoped.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We will miss you Mrs Peacock. 
  • Nope, it was the usual specialness!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards