Registry and Gift Forum

Advice?

kylexokylexo member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited August 2016 in Registry and Gift Forum
Hey! This one is sort of a weird situation and I could use some advice...

Because of some issues with packages being stolen at our old apartment I signed up for UPS MyChoice, which sends me an email whenever there is a package scheduled to be delivered the next day, that way I knew when to expect something and when I should know to react if there was nothing there. In the meantime, FI (now DH of 3 weeks) and I moved across the country and I didn't bother updating UPS MyChoice because our mail delivery is secure. At the same time, we'd just gotten engaged back then and were playing around with what we wanted to set up for a registry. I had hastily added a couple of things I kind of liked to a list of West Elm but never linked it to our wedding website (or the knot's registry page since that's the first thing that shows up in google when you search my or DH's names).

I just got an email from UPS MyChoice this morning letting me know there is a delivery scheduled for tomorrow at my Seattle address, meanwhile I've lived in NY since April now. I look it up and see it's being shipped from Williams-Sonoma (so, West Elm), so I log into West Elm and lo and behold 2 items were purchased by the wife of one of DH's friends (they weren't able to make the wedding). I looked into trying to have the package rerouted, but it's being sent in 2 different shipments and UPS wants to charge me $36 for each package to be sent to my current address (and $36 is more than the total value of the gifts themselves.)

What do I do? Should we reach out and let them know "hey, we don't live in Seattle anymore?" My mind is boggled as to how she even found the West Elm registry in the first place as it hasn't been shared anywhere and I can't find it when searching Google for search terms that make sense. Our wedding website has our registry on it and if search either of our names with terms like "registry" or "wedding" theknot's registry page with the link to our correct registries is what comes up. I don't want it to be awkward, but I also don't want to spent $72 of my own money rerouting gifts valued at $38. I wouldn't even know about this if I didn't have UPS MyChoice. Help!

Re: Advice?

• See if you can have them returned to the shipper at no cost, then call West Elm and give your correct address.
  • kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    You should pay the $72. It was your careless error, don't make it an issue for someone trying to do something nice. They may not have even seen the address when they went to check out- often you can just select "ship to couple" without showing you the address. 
    I get what you're saying here, but my careless error for creating a registry that had 3 items on it that was never published ANYWHERE and that I'm unable to find when googling? I made it over a year and a half ago, added 3 items and then completely forgot it existed until today. It's bizarre to me that she was able to find it in the first place.
  • I think you have to either 1) eat the cost and re-route the packages or 2) is there someone at your old address (supervisor, property manager, neighbor) you could contact and have them talk to the new tenants/owners about the package. You could send them the funds to ship the packages to you (which might be less than the re-routing charge)?
  • kylexo said:
    You should pay the $72. It was your careless error, don't make it an issue for someone trying to do something nice. They may not have even seen the address when they went to check out- often you can just select "ship to couple" without showing you the address. 
    I get what you're saying here, but my careless error for creating a registry that had 3 items on it that was never published ANYWHERE and that I'm unable to find when googling? I made it over a year and a half ago, added 3 items and then completely forgot it existed until today. It's bizarre to me that she was able to find it in the first place.
    Obviously they found it somehow! You could also just do nothing, let them get returned to sender, and in the meantime change your address on the registry but, even though it's super annoying, this was your mistake not theirs. 
  • Also, the "I don't want to pay $70 for a $38 gift" comes of as a little obnoxious. If the gift was more expensive would you pay the change fee?
  • Also, the "I don't want to pay $70 for a $38 gift" comes of as a little obnoxious. If the gift was more expensive would you pay the change fee?
    I wouldn't want to pay it at all, for anything. Sorry if it came off that way. Alls well that ends well, I called West Elm and they were able to reroute the package at no cost to me and without notifying the sender so it won't be awkward.

I am curious though, if you came across a registry that only had 3 items in it, a discontinued apothecary jar that isn't able to be ordered anymore, a small mortar and pestle and ONE moscow mule mug wouldn't you wonder if you were in the right place? I'm thinking about it too much and the problem is solved so it doesn't matter, but I feel like if it were me I might have second guessed buying from that registry without double checking. (and unrelated but I'm also side eyeing this specific couple a bit because they got married a few years ago - DH and I had been together for over 2 years - but I wasn't invited because I hadn't met them. DH went and said it was the most over the top ridiculous wedding he'd ever been to with over 300 guests and more food than DH said he'd ever seen in one room.)
  • These people bought you a gift. They did a nice thing. Stop trying to find fault with them!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Glad it worked out for you. That is what I was going to suggest- call the store and see if they will re-route the packages for you. Don't put it on the gift givers to fix this mistake- it's not their mistake to fix.

I don't know how they found your registry, but obviously they did. It's out there somewhere.
  • edited August 2016
    I have certain stores I prefer to buy from, so I don't always use Google or wedding websites, I just go straight to my preferred site and enter the couple's name. I wouldn't have assumed I was in the wrong place bc there was only 3 items, I would assume the rest had been purchased or you didn't registry for much.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards