Wedding Party

Getting Ready Attire

I'm 3 months out for my wedding, so starting to think about gifts for my girls, which I'm really excited about.

I really want to do something personalized for who THEY are, versus a uniformed bridesmaids gift (i.e. a gift card to DryBar for my bridesmaid who loves regular blowouts, a favorite type of wine for another, etc.). 

With me/FI's budget, I'm thinking that spending ~$100/girl in their bridesmaid gift seems like a good budget to be working with (though I get in my head - is that too little? Too much? What are the rules? Wedding anxiety = full force with certain things, as I'd never want them to feel unappreciated). 

The issue (if you can call it that!) I'm having is debating on "getting ready" attire. I LOVE the robes from Pretty Plum Sugar, but they're not cheap, and it wouldn't leave much room to buy something in addition to a robe that they may honestly never wear again. Etsy has cute robes as well, that are significantly cheaper, but is that lame to include as part of their gift? 

How did all of you work with getting ready - did you buy robes/shirts/something for picture purposes so people could be uniformed, or did you let your ladies where whatever they wanted? 

Any thoughts on the subject of getting ready is greatly appreciated!

Re: Getting Ready Attire

• Please just let people wear whatever they want to get ready. I don't understand why this is a trend now. 

I barely remember what I wore. I think leggings and a tank top? No clue what my MOH wore, or my mom and MIL, who also got ready with me. We have a few pics of us getting ready. They're nice to have, but certainly not something I'd have framed. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I also say "NO" to the robes. I would not be comfortable being photographed like that, and you likely aren't going to get the photo printed and framed to hang in your home. Though I have a friend who posted photos of her and her BMs in robes on FB....

I wore some sort of button up shirt or zipped hoody (can't remember). I had my hair and make up professional done at a salon, and not a great idea to wear a robe out of the house ;). Since I had these things done at a salon, no need for a robe to "get ready in".

Your original gift choices sound great!!
  • @bohobride10  If you want to be sure they're "matching" for getting ready, you could just ask them all to wear X colour button-down top, like white. Something they already own. At least it's easier to change after their hair is done. {suggestion; wear button-down top anyways, no need for matching if you don't want.}
  • I'm 3 months out for my wedding, so starting to think about gifts for my girls, which I'm really excited about.

I really want to do something personalized for who THEY are, versus a uniformed bridesmaids gift (i.e. a gift card to DryBar for my bridesmaid who loves regular blowouts, a favorite type of wine for another, etc.).   YAAS, honey!

With me/FI's budget, I'm thinking that spending ~$100/girl in their bridesmaid gift seems like a good budget to be working with (though I get in my head - is that too little? Too much? What are the rules? Wedding anxiety = full force with certain things, as I'd never want them to feel unappreciated).  

The issue (if you can call it that!) I'm having is debating on "getting ready" attire. I LOVE the robes from Pretty Plum Sugar, but they're not cheap, and it wouldn't leave much room to buy something in addition to a robe that they may honestly never wear again. Etsy has cute robes as well, that are significantly cheaper, but is that lame to include as part of their gift? 

How did all of you work with getting ready - did you buy robes/shirts/something for picture purposes so people could be uniformed, or did you let your ladies where whatever they wanted? 

Any thoughts on the subject of getting ready is greatly appreciated!

We didn't get ready together.  As a BM 10+ times I always hated being asked to get dressed in a group setting- too chaotic, too rushed- and to be photographed for it, so I skipped that nonsense.

If you want getting ready pics, just have your photographer photograph you getting your hair and make-up done.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I just got ready in a white button down.   I told my girls that if they're getting their hair done, they probably want something that won't pull on hair / makeup.   That's it.

Not every photo taken needs to have coordinated attire.   
  • I bought chambray button downs (from old navy) for all of my BMs to wear (if they want) while getting ready. I'm going to give it to them with their gifts, but I am not counting it as part of their gift. It is something that I know they will all like (they all basically have shirts like this) and that I think they will appreciate, because I know them and they will forget button down shirts that day. 

For me it is not a uniform thing, but more of a nice gesture and I hope it is easier for them while getting ready.
  • I have no idea what they wore to get ready, but I did actually hang one of the pictures up. It's a candid shot and we're all cheersing (is that a word?) with champagne and mimosas and everyone looks happy. So yah some people do frame "getting ready" pictures. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I have no idea what they wore to get ready, but I did actually hang one of the pictures up. It's a candid shot and we're all cheersing (is that a word?) with champagne and mimosas and everyone looks happy. So yah some people do frame "getting ready" pictures. 
    But I assume you were all wearing clothes you were comfortable in, not robes?
  • SP29 said:
    I have no idea what they wore to get ready, but I did actually hang one of the pictures up. It's a candid shot and we're all cheersing (is that a word?) with champagne and mimosas and everyone looks happy. So yah some people do frame "getting ready" pictures. 
    But I assume you were all wearing clothes you were comfortable in, not robes?
    Exactly. I think I wore a button down shirt? Even though I see the picture everyday I couldn't tell you exactly what everyone was wearing. I don't think anyone was naked. 
  • I always end up falling out of robes, or they fall off of me.  Not something I would want to happen in front of people I may or may not know very well, plus a photographer.

OP, I like your original plan.
  • Stick with the personalized gifts and skip the robes. Your bridesmaids will never wear them again. 

To be honest, I have no idea what I wore while I was getting ready, and my wedding was less than a year ago.  I had no interest in the "getting ready" shots, and I made sure I was already dressed when my MOH arrived. But even if you and your BP are getting ready together, there's no need for you guys to match. This is one of those details that isn't really worth wasting your time or money on. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    Regardless of how "cute" a "getting-ready" robe is, as a bridesmaid I would never wear one after the wedding and would not enjoy wearing one for photos.

To be honest, the "getting-ready" would not be a period in which I'd be in the mood for photos, "bonding," or anything besides just getting dressed, arranging my hair, and applying makeup. I'd stay focused on those things and wouldn't want to pal around until I was "ready" (dressed, hair done, made up).
    I think it depends on the group though. One of my BMs is rarely in the city, so we ended up essentially "bonding" while getting ready. Robe worthy? No, but my mum caught a lot of candid shots.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Jen4948 said:
    Regardless of how "cute" a "getting-ready" robe is, as a bridesmaid I would never wear one after the wedding and would not enjoy wearing one for photos.

To be honest, the "getting-ready" would not be a period in which I'd be in the mood for photos, "bonding," or anything besides just getting dressed, arranging my hair, and applying makeup. I'd stay focused on those things and wouldn't want to pal around until I was "ready" (dressed, hair done, made up).
    I think it depends on the group though. One of my BMs is rarely in the city, so we ended up essentially "bonding" while getting ready. Robe worthy? No, but my mum caught a lot of candid shots.
    True, other group members may be more open to getting ready together. I remember getting ready for my brother's wedding (I was my SIL's bridesmaid) and we did bond a bit, but we didn't pose for "getting-ready photos" (I don't think anyone wanted to do them). But if I were going to be in a wedding party tomorrow, I probably would rather just get ready at home and then go to the wedding.
  • Heffalump said:
    I always end up falling out of robes, or they fall off of me.  Not something I would want to happen in front of people I may or may not know very well, plus a photographer.

OP, I like your original plan.
    This exact thing happened to me the last time I was a BM. The bride got us all monogrammed robes, and I didn't want to be the one person who refuse to wear it so I sucked it up and put mine on, even though I was uncomfortable. At one point I was helping the bride into her dress I looked down and realized my robe had shifted and basically my entire bra was exposed. And the photographer was just snapping away.  Grreeeaaaaat.
    --

• I think there was a poster recently who recapped her wedding and said her mom and sister (I think?) refused to wear the matching getting ready attire. I was thinking to myself, good on them. The poster didn't seem hung up on it or anything, but mentioned it as something that "didn't go right" with the overall day. 

I don't really get the "bonding" thing. I've gotten ready in groups plenty of times but we're not having heart-to-heart conversations or anything. It's a lot of general chit chat and "your makeup looks cute!" comments. 

• I only remember what I wore because I bought a top specifically to wear for myself. I love the candid getting ready photos but I couldn't tell you what the girls were wearing and there is no way I would frame one for my house. The room was a disaster with that many girls getting ready in it so the background is fantastic. I think you made the right decision not doing the robes :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I let my girls wear whatever they wanted. Not all of us went to the salon, we all just met up at the church with hair & makeup done. We had lunch & got changed. I wasn't comfortable with having any photos done of myself until I was ready, so I didn't put my girls through that either. So the photographer didn't take any photos of us until the BM were dressed and I was in my dress

• dyerwise said:
    I bought chambray button downs (from old navy) for all of my BMs to wear (if they want) while getting ready. I'm going to give it to them with their gifts, but I am not counting it as part of their gift. It is something that I know they will all like (they all basically have shirts like this) and that I think they will appreciate, because I know them and they will forget button down shirts that day. 

For me it is not a uniform thing, but more of a nice gesture and I hope it is easier for them while getting ready.
    This is a great idea. I'm going to haunt the thrift stores for inexpensive button-downs for FW, anyone who gets ready with us, and me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards