Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Etiquette for a Party Bus

Re: Etiquette for a Party Bus

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I think some people are reading too much in here (although I do wish OP would come back and clarify). No where to use the bathroom? They're presumably stopping a bars on the strip. No way to leave if they get tired/bored/drunk? Cabs are everywhere in Vegas, Lyft, Uber; just like any other reception. Who the hell wants to drink in a moving vehicle? Many people, evidenced by having champagne, liquor and glass in many limos. 

I get this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's not wrong. Asking people to chip in would be though. 
    I believe that those of us reading into it, are merely saying - tell your guests of your plans before they rsvp. We're not saying don't do our, just tell people bc some people would opt not to fly to Vegas for what is planned. There are potential issues that do not make this a traditionally well hosted reception.

If someone has a pee right now, waiting for the next photo stop doesn't scream putting your guests first and being a gracious host.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    scribe95 said:
    It has a Vegas feel so I think it's cool. Having some drinks, stopping at the Vegas sign for pics; more drinks; stopping for pizza; more drinks; stopping to watch the fountains. It is definitely nontraditional but I think it could be fun for a younger set of people. 
    Ahem.  And what is Grandma supposed to do?  This might be a good plan for a bachelorette party, but this is supposed to be a wedding reception.

Not all of us are lucky enough to have living grandparents.  I also lost both of my parents by the time I was 26.  The only people over 40 being invited to our wedding are my FI's parents.  While we aren't going quite this extreme, grandmas would disapprove of our plan as well - which is fine because we don't have grandmas that need to be considered and our plan for the weekend is very us.  As long as the important people are on-board with the party bus (and it is properly hosted as OP now knows), I say you do you, OP.  
  • Options

So, from this thread, I have learned that drinking in a vehicle is impossible, any type of stairs are impossible for all grandparents, every wedding guest list is identical, old people dislike loud but also cannot hear, being on any form of bus is extremely uncomfortable for most people and that pizza isn't food.

Am I missing anything?

right??! there is a whole lot of hyperbole happening here.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    This discussion has moved from being a discussion on what is a proper wedding reception to an attack on seniors with disabilities.  I'm not sure how that happened.  I am happy that some of you have older relatives that are able to climb stairs and drink and dance (on a bus?).  I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic.
    A party bus with alcohol is not a substitute for a wedding reception with food and drink.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    CMGragain said:
    This discussion has moved from being a discussion on what is a proper wedding reception to an attack on seniors with disabilities.  I'm not sure how that happened.  I am happy that some of you have older relatives that are able to climb stairs and drink and dance (on a bus?).  I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic.
    A party bus with alcohol is not a substitute for a wedding reception with food and drink.

So, you're saying that your personal experience is totally on-topic but others' personal experiences are not?

OP stated the bus is stopping for pizza. Drinks on a bus, pizza at a restaurant. This may not be your cup of tea, but it's proper as far as hosting responsibilities go (as Iong as there is a bathroom and her guest list is able to physically ride a bus).

OK.  I would decline this invitation, but if the OP really wants to do it.....well, good luck.  I assume the OP is paying for the pizza?   I still think it is a terrible idea.

PS.  Anybody else notice that the OP is gone?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    No one is attacking seniors with disabilities. You came in here making sweeping generalizations about "grandparents" and people your age. 
  • Options
    There's been no attack, just accurate statements and anecdotal evidence to the effect that YOU do not represent the entire 65+ population, should anyone 65+ even be on OP's guest list. Your presumption that OP hasn't considered her guest list in making her plans is actually pretty obnoxious. Own it.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thank you, ladies.  I know many disabled people, and not all of them are elderly.  If I planned a social event of any kind, I would certainly consider any guests who even might possibly have a physical problem.
    At my last party, I served wine, soda, and diet soda, and sugar free desserts as well as yummy sugar loaded ones.  A guest asked me to turn off the music because she was hard of hearing, and I quickly obliged.  There were plenty of seats, and I spent much of my time making sure that my guests were comfortable and had any refreshments that they wished.
    This is simply what a good hostess does.  I do not choose my guests - or my friends - according to their physical abilities.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Thank you, ladies.  I know many disabled people, and not all of them are elderly.  If I planned a social event of any kind, I would certainly consider any guests who even might possibly have a physical problem.
    At my last party, I served wine, soda, and diet soda, and sugar free desserts as well as yummy sugar loaded ones.  A guest asked me to turn off the music because she was hard of hearing, and I quickly obliged.  There were plenty of seats, and I spent much of my time making sure that my guests were comfortable and had any refreshments that they wished.
    This is simply what a good hostess does.  I do not choose my guests - or my friends - according to their physical abilities.
    You are again making assumptions about the OP. We always say "know your crowd". It's very possible that all of her guests (pretty sure she said only 25 people) are all able bodied. 

How fantastic that you are so accommodating. Most of us are. And who said anything about choosing guests based on physical abilities? Again, you're making assumptions that are so far fetched! 

And here we are, another post all about CMG.....

That's hilarious coming from someone who never misses an opportunity to take part in a CMG pile on - whether it's warranted or not. There are several posters who suddenly come out of the woodwork when she posts something questionable. Some might say it's the unofficial sport of TK.

Sometimes we all just have to live with the posting style of others, like it or not. :unamused:

Until we know that there is bathroom on this bus from hell, I'm still standing by my tacky assessment. No potty, no way it's proper hosting.

:kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    You are again making assumptions about the OP. We always say "know your crowd". It's very possible that all of her guests (pretty sure she said only 25 people) are all able bodied. 

How fantastic that you are so accommodating. Most of us are. And who said anything about choosing guests based on physical abilities? Again, you're making assumptions that are so far fetched! 

And here we are, another post all about CMG.....

That's hilarious coming from someone who never misses an opportunity to take part in a CMG pile on - whether it's warranted or not. There are several posters who suddenly come out of the woodwork when she posts something questionable. Some might say it's the unofficial sport of TK.

Sometimes we all just have to live with the posting style of others, like it or not. :unamused:

Until we know that there is bathroom on this bus from hell, I'm still standing by my tacky assessment. No potty, no way it's proper hosting.

1. I don't make every post about myself, and I certainly don't make sweeping generalizations about groups of people. Am I not allowed to call that out?  Please, tell me how I should post. 

2. I'm not "coming out of the woodwork". Maybe check my post history. I post on this site almost every day, in many different posts. Am I not allowed to post on TK, Photokitty?
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Yes, this is definitely a plan I'd want to know about in advance so that I could make my choice accordingly. 

ETA: Bus from hell? That seems dramatic. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    Yes, this is definitely a plan I'd want to know about in advance so that I could make my choice accordingly. 

ETA: Bus from hell? That seems dramatic. 
    I agree about knowing the plan in advance. I also agree that IF the bus doesn't have a bathroom, it would be a bus from hell! I wish OP would return and explain a few things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards