Snarky Brides

Daily Facebook Faux Pas

Re: Daily Facebook Faux Pas

• NWR but I've noticed a trend on my local FB yardsale pages:  college-age girls putting out "looking for office job" (or similar)and their profile picture is a shot of their bikini-clad cleavage, and their cover pic is from dressing as a stripper last Halloween.

I don't care how you dress or what pics you post, but just maybe you should clean that up before you job search from your FB page?  It just doesn't seem professional.
    I am in a job group and see this constantly. Earlier this week someone posted saying he was looking for a job and there's a big old confederate flag in his profile pic. Someone said he might want to consider changing it and he flipped his shit.
  • NWR but I've noticed a trend on my local FB yardsale pages:  college-age girls putting out "looking for office job" (or similar)and their profile picture is a shot of their bikini-clad cleavage, and their cover pic is from dressing as a stripper last Halloween.

I don't care how you dress or what pics you post, but just maybe you should clean that up before you job search from your FB page?  It just doesn't seem professional.
    I am in a job group and see this constantly. Earlier this week someone posted saying he was looking for a job and there's a big old confederate flag in his profile pic. Someone said he might want to consider changing it and he flipped his shit.

Idk what's up with the boxes.  ::sigh::
                            AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • ernursejernursej member
    First Answer First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016

I have a friend that does TBT almost every week and always a TBT to her wedding from January. She is gorgeous and was very happy with her wedding, but it is a little much. She includes a generous sprinkle of hashtags. Argh.

I get people who ask if I'm still getting married as I haven't posted anything about my upcoming wedding on FB ... FACEPALM!

-Edit for an extra thought.

• I have a friend on Facebook who has been married 7+ years, but he keeps referring to his wife as his "bride". Dude. She's not a bride anymore. She was a bride 7 years ago. Come on, now...

I have seen this particular brand of Facebook fuckery once before. That couple is now divorced.

• Holy shit Peachy.

Not wedding related, but I saw my insufferable ex-friend's anniversary status update yesterday (didn't de-friend because of occasional entertainment, just hidden from main news feed).

It talked about how hard marriage is, as anyone in a real marriage knows.

.... Real marriage?

... What's a non-real marriage?
    The people who are stuck in limbo between their legal ceremony and their real PPD one, duh!

I didn't see this and posted my FB annoyances in Chit Chat.  However, I was totally an obnoxious bride on social media last night.  We attended a wedding for good friends, and FI was in a suit (first time in 4 years and he looked dayum good) and they served champagne.  I probably had bottles.  

And it was only one post, and no bride shit hashtag, but like 5 people messaged me out of the blue referencing it.

• I have a friend on Facebook who has been married 7+ years, but he keeps referring to his wife as his "bride". Dude. She's not a bride anymore. She was a bride 7 years ago. Come on, now...

I have seen this particular brand of Facebook fuckery once before. That couple is now divorced.
    Eh, I disagree. I always think guys who have been married for awhile referring to their wife as a bride is super sweet. I've seen people who've been married for 50 years do it. I always think it's a reference to believing their wife is just as beautiful as she was on their wedding day and they are just as in love as they were then. 
    Agree to disagree, then :) You're a bride on your wedding day. After that, you're a wife. I wouldn't want to be referred to as a bride forever, as I hope a relationship would actually evolve and get better over time, and not stay the same as it was on your wedding day.

• One is technically a bride as a newlywed. I think the men who call their wives "bride" after all that time still feel like newlyweds. 
  • One is technically a bride as a newlywed. I think the men who call their wives "bride" after all that time still feel like newlyweds. 
    Fair enough. I'll try to stop rolling my eyes. Though, to be fair, I guess the bolded was probably the implication about it I don't really like: the idea that your relationship feels the best on your wedding day and right after, and it all goes down from there. (Obviously, I didn't really think it through that much, I just know I don't really like when someone refers to their wife as their "bride", but I think that's where it stems from for me).

• Fair enough. I'll try to stop rolling my eyes. Though, to be fair, I guess the bolded was probably the implication about it I don't really like: the idea that your relationship feels the best on your wedding day and right after, and it all goes down from there. (Obviously, I didn't really think it through that much, I just know I don't really like when someone refers to their wife as their "bride", but I think that's where it stems from for me).
    I get that. My FI used to call me baby and it was all I could do not to stab him in the throat. There are just terms that bug us all.
  • Ironring said:
    RedSolo34 said:
    I've been lurking for awhile and waiting for the right thread to post this gem
    Isn't that the general idea behind a Jack and Jill? A pre wedding party that is basically supposed to help raise money for the wedding? (Just because it's a thing doesn't make it any less tacky though)
    At least most people know what a Jack and Jill is.  Super rude, but at least honest.  These people seemed to me like they were hiding it from their "guests."
  • Ironring said:
    RedSolo34 said:
    Isn't that the general idea behind a Jack and Jill? A pre wedding party that is basically supposed to help raise money for the wedding? (Just because it's a thing doesn't make it any less tacky though)
    Yes. As someone who had one {don't judge, I know now it was tacky - at the time I was vaguely aware but honestly I wasn't changing plans then} the point is to have things people want. We got some really amazing stuff that people bought tickets for {we made ticket prices reasonable} and people were excited to win.
    Side note: if people do a Jack & Jill/Stag & Doe, don't rely on it. We looked at it as extra money we would be able to use for the wedding {ie; upgrades on stuff, better option for something, etc etc}
  • Ironring said:
    RedSolo34 said:
    Yes. As someone who had one {don't judge, I know now it was tacky - at the time I was vaguely aware but honestly I wasn't changing plans then} the point is to have things people want. We got some really amazing stuff that people bought tickets for {we made ticket prices reasonable} and people were excited to win.
    Side note: if people do a Jack & Jill/Stag & Doe, don't rely on it. We looked at it as extra money we would be able to use for the wedding {ie; upgrades on stuff, better option for something, etc etc}
    I've heard in many small towns (in areas where there are really common), the jack and Jill ends up being a fun community event that allows people to have a good time and win prizes. It's less about making money (although that's obviously the goal) and more about having a good time for people who otherwise have a long, cold, boring winter to look forward to. Being from a small town, I could see how community events like this are encouraged and not viewed as tacky. 
  • Ironring said:
    Ironring said:
    RedSolo34 said:
    I've heard in many small towns (in areas where there are really common), the jack and Jill ends up being a fun community event that allows people to have a good time and win prizes. It's less about making money (although that's obviously the goal) and more about having a good time for people who otherwise have a long, cold, boring winter to look forward to. Being from a small town, I could see how community events like this are encouraged and not viewed as tacky. 
    Honestly, that was our goal. We wanted it to be fun and just a fun bonus if we made money. It wasn't really the plan, but I've been to many stags and had a great time because it was NEVER focused on b&g wanting money.
  • Fair enough. I'll try to stop rolling my eyes. Though, to be fair, I guess the bolded was probably the implication about it I don't really like: the idea that your relationship feels the best on your wedding day and right after, and it all goes down from there. (Obviously, I didn't really think it through that much, I just know I don't really like when someone refers to their wife as their "bride", but I think that's where it stems from for me).
    I get that. My FI used to call me baby and it was all I could do not to stab him in the throat. There are just terms that bug us all.
    I am not a fan of bride. I feel like you stop being a bride when you say "I do," but whatever. That's just me. 

I will, however, take being called "my bride" over being called "my ol' lady." Every. Single. Time. 

No, dear, leaving the "d" off does NOT make it better.
    Unless you're a biker, I've watched enough Sons of Anarchy to think "mmm Opie" when I head ol' lady :P
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Ironring said:
    Ironring said:
    RedSolo34 said:
    Honestly, that was our goal. We wanted it to be fun and just a fun bonus if we made money. It wasn't really the plan, but I've been to many stags and had a great time because it was NEVER focused on b&g wanting money.
    Yeah, at least with a Jack and Jill, you KNOW what you're getting. Beyond the initial ticket price (which gets you your food), you technically don't have to spend any more money (of course then you don't get drinks ;)).

*Shyly raises hand* I also had a Jack and Jill, or as we call them around here, Stag and Doe. They are really popular in my area, I've been to many; the last one I attended was a Halloween costume party. Personally, I didn't think it was worth it, and I now realize they are tacky. I will still attend one if it is a good friend, but I don't recommend them.

@DrillSergeantCat I also hate the pet name "Baby" for people; it sounds juvenile to me. I mean, I call my cat Baby Kitty- but she's my cat, not my husband.
  • Some of my least favorite FB posts are where someone posts happy bday posts to their BFF, sibling, or their mom/dad and it's basically a picture of the poster's wedding with the birthday girl/boy lost in the background. Mmmmmmkay - yea this is totally a post about your BFF, you just happen to be the center of attention and it's not the best picture of your friend..

Obvious attention whoring is obvious.

SIAB 

FH has a cousin who does this for every happy birthday post she makes. Both of her siblings have had birthdays shortly after her wedding so guess who was lucky enough to get a post referencing the wedding!

Both her and her husband also use hashtags at any opportunity. Though it can never be just one. Or even three. At least five hashtags. Come on! 

I must admit I unfollowed pretty quickly. 

#hashtage #blessed #judgement #unfollow #aw #dontforgetthatimmarriedbutherehaveaphotojustincaseyouforgot 

• SP29 said:

@DrillSergeantCat I also hate the pet name "Baby" for people; it sounds juvenile to me. I mean, I call my cat Baby Kitty- but she's my cat, not my husband.
    What really got to me was that I found pictures of him and his ex where he was calling her baby. Let's be a bit more creative than that. I call my female cat Baby Girl.
  • There is a girl that I am Facebook friends with who is actually just an acquantiance (now I am thinking why am I even fb friends with her?) and she recently got engaged and is starting planning. I think I may need to direct her to these boards cause they helped me so much, but she a) posts WAAAAAAY too much about wedding stuff and b) posts a lot of stuff I've been side eyeing pretty hard - stuff about good poems to use to forbid guests from using phones during the wedding, what the wedding industrial complex says her bridesmaids "duties" are, etc. like GIRL, NO. 
  • My hashtag-happy friend just posted on FB to let everyone know that there will be a breathalyzer at the gate in order to leave the venue.  

My eyes rolled so hard, I think one went under the couch.
  • My hashtag-happy friend just posted on FB to let everyone know that there will be a breathalyzer at the gate in order to leave the venue.  

Is that a a venue required thing? Does she know a lot of people who drink and drive or is actively part of MADD? Otherwise.....why?
  • Ironring said:
    My hashtag-happy friend just posted on FB to let everyone know that there will be a breathalyzer at the gate in order to leave the venue.  

Is that a a venue required thing? Does she know a lot of people who drink and drive or is actively part of MADD? Otherwise.....why?
    I don't know what's going on.  She won't answer all the people adking "why?".

I hope that was a joke . . .

I hope that was a joke . . .
    I hope so, but I doubt it.  I creeped on her wedding website, it's there, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards