Chit Chat

Thanksgiving plans?

2»

Re: Thanksgiving plans?

• I'm Canadian so Thanksgiving is in October for me. I'll be on my honeymoon and in Brussels that day :) I'm not sure if we will find the "North American" Thanksgiving meal, but I'm hoping to have a really nice meal somewhere. Anyone have any nice meal recommendations in Brussels?
  • We've done Thanksgiving at our house with friends the past few years, but I think this year we may finally go spend it with my family. I think my dad is planning to host; one of my sisters was due in early November, and she wanted the whole family to be together for Thanksgiving and her bday and to see the baby... However, she ended up having to deliver the baby last month, at 26 weeks, so not 100% sure that plan's still on anyway. Tentatively going to see family in CA, though. If not, we'll stay home and have our own, like we usually do.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sounds like a really fun Thanksgiving :)

I, as usual, will be working on Thanksgiving :( Part of the whole working in sports TV thing means that when other people are at home, I have to make sure they're entertained, lol! So the cafeteria will be making my Thanksgiving dinner...and I hope for many happy reports back from the amazing trips on this thread!!

• edited September 2016
    Not sure what we're doing on Thanksgiving; I want to host, but I'm concerned about some of our guests handling the stairs in our house. I would like to help serve or deliver meals at some point during the day.

FW and I started a couple of traditions last year: on Thanksgiving night, we watch "Groundhog Day," and the day after Thanksgiving, we have friends over for dessert.

ETA: Oh, and I must listen to "Alice's Restaurant" at least once and watch "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" at least once as well.
  • ernursej said:
    I'm Canadian so Thanksgiving is in October for me. I'll be on my honeymoon and in Brussels that day :) I'm not sure if we will find the "North American" Thanksgiving meal, but I'm hoping to have a really nice meal somewhere. Anyone have any nice meal recommendations in Brussels?
    What about brussel sprouts? Couldn't resist :')
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    Sorry, but nothing beats those incredibly bad-for-you waffles sold on the street.  They pile them with fruit, chocolate syrup, ice cream, whipped cream.  OMG!  You also have to try a Belgian fries place.  It is Belgian fast food.
    Neuhaus chocolate was the best IMHO, but Leonidas is everywhere.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @MissKittyDanger - I love Brussel sprouts!!

@CMGragain - thanks! Those were firmly planted on the list from my own research. They sound yummy!

• ernursej said:
    I'm Canadian so Thanksgiving is in October for me. I'll be on my honeymoon and in Brussels that day :) I'm not sure if we will find the "North American" Thanksgiving meal, but I'm hoping to have a really nice meal somewhere. Anyone have any nice meal recommendations in Brussels?
    You may be able to find turkey breast but not whole turkey. My GF who lives in England does an Expat Thanksgiving every October and she has to do it with Turkey breast. 

We do Thanksgiving at my place because I'm not hauling a toddler over hell's half acres doing "visits". We do it on the Sunday so on the Monday I can rest and recuperate from having to deal with family. 
  • emmaaa said:
    That sounds wonderful!

We always do Thanksgiving lunch with DH's family and supper with my dad's family. DH's grandpa's health has not been well for a couple of years now (he has parkinson's with luey bodies) so there is always the chance he may not be with us which could change plans just a little bit.

I always decorate for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving!
    I always host Thanksgiving.  It is one of those "alternating" holidays among family members.  Some years we may be as small as a party of 8; other years I can have 20 or more.  I love keeping my fall decor up through Thanksgiving Day.  I spend Black Friday at home, in sweats, and swap out the fall decor with the Christmas decorations.  I have yet to break from that mold, and hope I never do.  Black Friday scares the beejeezus out of me!
  • We still have a tube tv in the bedroom and we'd like a second tv for the basement, so I might be one of the assholes trampling people on Black Friday this year if I can get a great deal on a couple 40 inchers. As much as I have Black Friday, I'm super cheap so it might be worth it. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My daughter and I have gone Black Friday shopping a few times. We were two of those assholes waiting in line at 3 in the morning. She had a list of specific items and was very successful in her quest. I picked up stuff I didn't know I needed. It was fun, but now it's easier to Black Friday shop on line. I'll be sleeping in on Black Friday. 

• My daughter and I have gone Black Friday shopping a few times. We were two of those assholes waiting in line at 3 in the morning. She had a list of specific items and was very successful in her quest. I picked up stuff I didn't know I needed. It was fun, but now it's easier to Black Friday shop on line. I'll be sleeping in on Black Friday. 
    I don't necessarily consider Black Friday shoppers assholes, Maire.  I just can't handle the insanity.  However, back in the day, when NOTHING Christmas related went on sale until the day after Christmas........I was one of the post Christmas nut jobs that did go out at 5:00 AM to take advantage of those sales.  Potato/potata.......
  • Not all are, but things can get really crazy. 

Like ten years ago, we used to get together with my grandma and most of the girl cousins every year and go shopping Black Friday morning, before it got nuts. We'd be at kohls or carsons at like four am trying on clothes and just having fun. We stopped after the lines and fights and shit took the fun out of it. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited September 2016
    Crowds make me anxious and lines make me impatient, so I skip Black Friday and do Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday instead.

I also don't do day-after-Christmas shopping; last year we had a Doctor Who watch party instead. This year, Hanukkah starts on Boxing Day; FMIL and several dear friends are Jewish, so we may have a Hanukkah dinner.
  • I hate people so I will probably never be shopping on black friday (or after christmas, labor day, after work, on saturdays, ect). There is nothing in the world I need so badly that I have to be in the middle of all those people. 
    edited September 2016
    When our budget was so tight, I would do anything to save money on purchases, so Black Friday was for me.  Many years later, we have enough money, and I figure that there are other people more needy who need to shop those super deals, so I stay home.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I worked Black Friday four years ago (toy store) and was dreading it. I was pleasantly surprised by how calm and reasonable our customers were, without exception.
  • CMGragain said:
    When our budget was so tight, I would do anything to save money on purchases, so Black Friday was for me.  Many years later, we have enough money, and I figure that there are other people more needy who need to shop those super deals, so I stay home.
    This act of charity is truly inspirational. 
  • edited September 2016
    @Mobkaz and @ShesSoCold - oh that's okay. There were plenty of assholes waiting to get into Walmart when DD and I went BF shopping. It was like a side show, part of the entertainment. People actually argue and push for a better position in line. I shop for sport. If I was filthy rich, I'd still look for a sale. I just don't get up at 3 a.m. any longer,  but H and I will usually head out to the mall late in the afternoon on BF to see what's what. 

ETA, whenever my friends get a good bargain, they call me so I can admire their skills. I'm their shopping/bargain adviser.

edited September 2016
    CMGragain said:
    As we all know, I'm filthy rich. However, I fucking love a good sale. You don't get rich by spending all of your money.
    I agree with you, and I love sales, too.  I almost never buy anything full price.  However, the stand in line all night and run for the merchandise sales are not something I need to do anymore.

My favorite sales used to be the after Christmas Hallmark shop sales.  I am sad that we no longer have a Hallmark shop in town.  My Christmas tree is full of their ornaments that I bought over the years.
    Thank goodness there is Ebay!

My best Ebay gift:  daughter was in love with a $400 Coach bag.  I just don't spend that much on gifts unless it is something special, like the swingset I bought the grandchildren.  I found it, new with tags, for $200, a year later.  She was thrilled with it, and I didn't feel guilty about being extravagant.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We still have a tube tv in the bedroom and we'd like a second tv for the basement, so I might be one of the assholes trampling people on Black Friday this year if I can get a great deal on a couple 40 inchers. As much as I have Black Friday, I'm super cheap so it might be worth it. 

SITB... but girl, Amazon.  We were about to go out and buy a new TV on black friday last year at a furniture store.  They had the best price around for that particular TV.  Right before we left, I looked it up on Amazon and they had it for the same price, delivered.  And, at the time, no sales tax.  

Then, I was able to use our wedding registry discount, and then they fucked up the delivery so we got another $75 off.  So, we ended up with a brand new 65" TV for $700 delivered.  Normal price for the TV was around $1200-1300.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I'm all for amazon, but if and when I do go shopping, it's usually for clothing.  And all for me. I love the sale at Macy's and it's hard to pass up.  All my gifts are through amazon more towards Christmas Day.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards