Wedding Invitations & Paper

Facebook wedding invites?

I know they're deemed as tacky, lazy, and cheep. But in mine and my guys case it really seems necessary. We've been engaged a little over a year and we decided to put the wedding on the back burner for the time being so we could move first. We are now moving November 1st and made a split decision (last week!) to get married before we move so can be sure our families and closest friends can attend. We're just doing a quick Justice of the peace ceremony and having food at a local restaurant that does small parties. We're only going to have about 35-40 people. That's only 3 weeks left to plan this, get the dress, all that stuff, on top of moving a week later! Is a facebook invite in this situation still a bad idea? 

Re: Facebook wedding invites?

• Viczaesar said:
    I know they're deemed as tacky, lazy, and cheep. But in mine and my guys case it really seems necessary. We've been engaged a little over a year and we decided to put the wedding on the back burner for the time being so we could move first. We are now moving November 1st and made a split decision (last week!) to get married before we move so can be sure our families and closest friends can attend. We're just doing a quick Justice of the peace ceremony and having food at a local restaurant that does small parties. We're only going to have about 35-40 people. That's only 3 weeks left to plan this, get the dress, all that stuff, on top of moving a week later! Is a facebook invite in this situation still a bad idea? 
    It's not necessary or appropriate to use Facebook to invite people to  your last minute wedding.  Call or email your guests. 
    Agreed. It's worth the extra time to send personal e-mails or make phone calls. Even an e-vite is nicer than a Facebook invitation.
  • With a small guest list I would just call them directly. People don't always check Facebook in a timely manner or as @Ironring said may not take it as seriosuly. Split up the list with your FI and give people a call. Follow up with an email or evite. 
  • Do an email or evite! People will know it's real and it will feel a little fancier
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    1.  Are you doing a courthouse ceremony?  Will the courthouse allow all of your guests?  Most courthouses have restrictions on numbers.

2.  Is everyone who is invited to the reception also invited to the ceremony?

3.  NEVER use Facebook for invitations!

4.  Tomorrow go straight to Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Walmart, or an office supply store like Staples or Office Depot.  You can buy an inexpensive invitations kit.  Print your invitations on a home computer by Sunday PM, address them, stamp them, and mail them first thing Monday morning.  Include a website and telephone number for RSVP.
    Here is wording if everyone is invited to both the ceremony and the reception (restaurant).

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Friday, October twenty-ninth
    two thousand sixteen
    at four o'clock
    Place Name
    Address
    City, State (no zip!)

Insert reception card

Reception
    at half after four o'clock
    Joe's Restaurant
    Address
    City, State

If only a few people will be at your actual ceremony, it would be this:

at the wedding reception of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Friday, October twenty-ninth
    two thousand sixteen
    at half after four o'clock
    Restaurant Name
    Address
    City, State

Insert a small card for people incited to both the ceremony and the reception:

at the wedding ceremony
    at two o'clock
    City Courthouse
    Address
    City, State

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gartner-Studios-Swirl-Invitation/39195209

I planned my small wedding in a just a few weeks.  It can be done.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I don't think you need paper, but calling, sending individual emails, evites, or paperless post are all better than Facebook. 
  • I have been invited to two weddings via Facebook and didn't attend either. If you were my best friend or sister I would, but then again we'd probably have spoken/texted about it before I saw it on Facebook anyways. 

This is is your wedding. Give it the respect it deserves and send out personalized invites, be it the notes @cmgragain recommended or at least an individual (not group or BCC) email. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards