Moms and Maids

MIL Wedding Dress Choice

Re: MIL Wedding Dress Choice

• Whenever you read the words "laid back" you are almost guaranteed an awesome story in which the OP is in no ways laid back. Unless it was to insert the stick into their butt. This thread went exactly as usual. 

I do hope OP can read through the snark and not eff her relationship up over a dress color... Seriously OP, this is all over the color of an item of clothing that you and your mom are throwing tantrums. 
    Yup. Broke the cardinal rule of "if you have to tell people you are (laid back, nice, fun, generous, etc.), you probably really aren't."

Tattling on your mother in law to your mommy is the antithesis of laid back.  As is  tattling on her to the wedding coordinator (seriously, wtf?).

Planning and/or paying for a wedding does not make you all that special. You're basically planning a big dinner party.  It doesn't  make you lord and master over anyone else and give you free reign to dictate how grown adults should dress.  Particularly adults who you want to have any kind of a non- antagonistic relationship with after your one day party is done...say with the woman who will become your family through marriage.  Ask yourself if 10 years from now your pretty pictures are worth the price you pay of letting your mommy bulldoze her way through your life with her money (cause rest assured that won't be an isolated incident) and having an antagonistic relationship with your mother in law?  Is dress color really that important?  At the end of the day you will still be married in what will be a lovely, albeit poorly themed, wedding regardless of clothing choices. 
  • I like to think I was a laid back bride, but now I'm thinking I was totally high maintenance!  I did want all my BMs in the same dress, but we were able to all go shopping together.  And they narrowed it down to 3 choices they all liked that were under budget and had me do the final decision.  Otherwise, I gave no rat's ass about my mom's dress, MILs dress, BM hair (although I paid for it and it wasn't their gift), BM jewelry, shoes, etc. 

My mom even called me a few week before and said she ordered green fortune cookies for the tables - it wasn't something I was looking for, but I just rolled with it!

I let my H pick out the tux for him and his GM.  I gave my dad totally free reign to get whatever suit/tux he wanted.  I even mentioned he could wear his regular suit.  His response was "I have an important job this wedding (my two brothers married first), I'm wearing a tux!"

I think this means I deserve a do over, right?  H & I are going to Vegas soon, maybe we can have the do over there and get married by Elvis!

• I like to think I was a laid back bride, but now I'm thinking I was totally high maintenance!  I did want all my BMs in the same dress, but we were able to all go shopping together.  And they narrowed it down to 3 choices they all liked that were under budget and had me do the final decision.  Otherwise, I gave no rat's ass about my mom's dress, MILs dress, BM hair (although I paid for it and it wasn't their gift), BM jewelry, shoes, etc. 

My mom even called me a few week before and said she ordered green fortune cookies for the tables - it wasn't something I was looking for, but I just rolled with it!

I let my H pick out the tux for him and his GM.  I gave my dad totally free reign to get whatever suit/tux he wanted.  I even mentioned he could wear his regular suit.  His response was "I have an important job this wedding (my two brothers married first), I'm wearing a tux!"

I think this means I deserve a do over, right?  H & I are going to Vegas soon, maybe we can have the do over there and get married by Elvis!

Why wouldn't he pick out his own attire?  My DD had no clue or input as to the style of tux her husband selected for himself and the GM.  Did your FI "let" you pick out your dress? 
  • Here's a question.  What color is your wedding dress? Because if it's white or anything light colored (and I presume it is from your description in a previous thread and if it was any other color, you and your mom probably wouldn't have such an issue with MIL wearing a pale color), you shouldn't be wearing it because the lighting will be weird on your dress! 
  • MobKaz said:

I like to think I was a laid back bride, but now I'm thinking I was totally high maintenance!  I did want all my BMs in the same dress, but we were able to all go shopping together.  And they narrowed it down to 3 choices they all liked that were under budget and had me do the final decision.  Otherwise, I gave no rat's ass about my mom's dress, MILs dress, BM hair (although I paid for it and it wasn't their gift), BM jewelry, shoes, etc. 

Why wouldn't he pick out his own attire?  My DD had no clue or input as to the style of tux her husband selected for himself and the GM.  Did your FI "let" you pick out your dress? 

I meant it in the way that so many brides on these boards talk about how THEY have picked out their FI's wedding attire for them.  So I "let" my H do it himself for our wedding.  The whole post was supposed to be a joke, but I guess that joke failed because I had to explain it.
  • OP, everyone is eyerolling at your CLASSY FORMAL GATSBY wedding and the way you are treating your FMIL. You and your mother are acting like brats.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Honestly, there are lots of guys who just don't care about what they wear to their own wedding.  DH was one of those, and my late FIL picked out the tuxedo.  My son swears that if he ever finds his Ms. Right, he will wear anything she wants if she agrees to marry him.  (Hasn't found her, yet.  He's a bit depressed about it.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • MobKaz said:

I like to think I was a laid back bride, but now I'm thinking I was totally high maintenance!  I did want all my BMs in the same dress, but we were able to all go shopping together.  And they narrowed it down to 3 choices they all liked that were under budget and had me do the final decision.  Otherwise, I gave no rat's ass about my mom's dress, MILs dress, BM hair (although I paid for it and it wasn't their gift), BM jewelry, shoes, etc. 

I meant it in the way that so many brides on these boards talk about how THEY have picked out their FI's wedding attire for them.  So I "let" my H do it himself for our wedding.  The whole post was supposed to be a joke, but I guess that joke failed because I had to explain it.
    I had to read your (original) post twice because it seemed out of character with your other responses/philosophies.  Your explanation is much appreciated and makes much more sense now.  I, too, have been guilty of failed/unsuccessful/unclear posts.  I just assume everyone can "hear" the tone in my thoughts as I write them.
  • Hmmmm, OP hasn't responded.  This is my shocked face.

• Hmmmm, OP hasn't responded.  This is my shocked face.

The website still shows the dress as for sale as well....MUD or did FMIL give in to peer pressure?
  • SP29 said:
    So maybe I'm wrong, but from the various images of weddings I've seen (TV, movies, Pinterest, friends/family weddings), but aren't cream/taupe/other light neutrals are popular colours for the MOB/MOG to wear?

Just took at peek at David's Bridal Mother of the Bride collection. There's a wide variety, but there are all sorts of cream, taupe, light pink, grey, silver dresses that are lace or sparkly.
    This was exactly why I didn't go the traditional MOB dress route! I look horrible in the colors for the typical dress!
  • That's a pink dress (I wouldn't even call it blush!) and it will look lovely in photos. It looks nothing like a wedding dress. Your mum needs to get a ruddy grip because she is being very unreasonable and immature! 

Also, You might want to stop describing your wedding as "Gatsby"- it's a book about terrible people in horrible marriages and affairs with no sense of love or commitment, overshadowed by a scathing indictment of tacky excess and gross, uncouth behaviour of new money in the 1920s. A Gatsby-themed wedding is the fastest way to convey that you haven't read it!  It's 1 step away from having a 'Lolita' themed child's birthday party. 
    I'm sorry, I giggled at "Lolita Themed child's birthday party" even though I really shouldn't. Bad Trixie, Bad! My sense of the macabre is showing. 
  • I actually saw this dress while shopping at Macy's this weekend (everything there was super sparkly and looked like I'd wear it to an ice skating competition, but that's a different story). It's DEFINITELY pink. Not my style, personally. I think it sounds like FMIL is a flashy dresser. Everyone who knows her will probably recognize that and she will look very much "like herself" at the wedding. I don't think it's inappropriate, and I think you need to take a step back and look at the big picture.
  • I love it when people come on here, ask for advice/opinions, then post & ghost. It shouldn't be surprising, though, looking at the OP's history. She's posted 6 discussions and only 3 replies. 
  • SP29 said:
    So maybe I'm wrong, but from the various images of weddings I've seen (TV, movies, Pinterest, friends/family weddings), aren't cream/taupe/other light neutrals are popular colours for the MOB/MOG to wear?

Just took at peek at David's Bridal Mother of the Bride collection. There's a wide variety, but there are all sorts of cream, taupe, light pink, grey, silver dresses that are lace or sparkly.
    That's what I thought as well. My FMIL actually asked me if it was alright if she didn't wear the "traditional" MOG color, which I guess is beige? I said heck yes, wear whatever you want. She's quite pale, so beige wouldn't be the most flattering choice.  But yeah, I've seen MOB/MOG typically in either some lighter neutral or maybe some navy/jewel tones.

My mom is convinced she needs a dress with one of those short jacket-type things because that's what she's seen ever other MOB wear. She hates them, so I'm trying to convince her no one will judge if she's not wearing a sequined jacket.
  • SP29 said:
    So maybe I'm wrong, but from the various images of weddings I've seen (TV, movies, Pinterest, friends/family weddings), aren't cream/taupe/other light neutrals are popular colours for the MOB/MOG to wear?

That's what I thought as well. My FMIL actually asked me if it was alright if she didn't wear the "traditional" MOG color, which I guess is beige? I said heck yes, wear whatever you want. She's quite pale, so beige wouldn't be the most flattering choice.  But yeah, I've seen MOB/MOG typically in either some lighter neutral or maybe some navy/jewel tones.

My mom is convinced she needs a dress with one of those short jacket-type things because that's what she's seen ever other MOB wear. She hates them, so I'm trying to convince her no one will judge if she's not wearing a sequined jacket.
    Both my mom and MIL wore black dresses with no jackets over them. My mom was in a spaghetti strap dress and my MIL was in strapless. They both looked amazing! 
  • SP29 said:

Please tell her a bunch of people on the Internet (haha!) tell her she doesn't need to wear a jacket!

My mom wore a floor length strapless dress to my wedding.

She should find "just a dress" that she likes, and not worry about the MOB aspect.
  • Thank you @SP29 and @climbingwife! I'm trying to convince her (as I am with my BMs) to get something that she likes first and foremost, because then maybe she'll be able to wear it again down the road. I told her I don't care as long as she's comfortable and happy. I don't know that strapless is the best option, but she does look really good in a sleeveless dress. Maybe I'll push for that!
  • SP29 said:

I feel like my mom had it in her head that she needed to wear a long dress...maybe because my bridesmaids' dresses were long? She is short and kept telling me she didn't really want to wear a long dress, and I had to reassure her several times she did NOT have to wear a long dress, nor did I have to pick it out. She went with a sleeveless navy lacy knee-length dress that she loved and looked great!
  • My mom is a 2 time MOB and 2 time MOG.  Never wore a jacket.  Never wore a long gown either.    3 of the 4 weddings were on the formal side.  Mine was casual.   She wore light purple, light blue, dark blue and for my wedding a bright blue (almost teal).

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • For her daughter's weddings so far, my mom has worn something cute. Two of the dresses were sleeveless, the other had lace sleeves. No jackets for her. 
  • I'm amazed that the industry marketing is so persuasive that just because a style of dress is presented as a MOB/MOG dress that someone would feel they couldn't wear something different.
  • SP29 said:

I feel like my mom had it in her head that she needed to wear a long dress...maybe because my bridesmaids' dresses were long? She is short and kept telling me she didn't really want to wear a long dress, and I had to reassure her several times she did NOT have to wear a long dress, nor did I have to pick it out. She went with a sleeveless navy lacy knee-length dress that she loved and looked great!
    My mom said the same thing about long dresses. She ended up wearing one even though she much preferred a short one because she felt it wasn't "formal enough". 
  • I think that dress is pretty cute. And I bet FMIL would rock it.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• When laid back is used in the same context of "classy, formal, winter, Gatsby" wedding, you no for sure the bride is going to be anything but laid back.
    Is this along the same lines as the more complicated your coffee order, the bigger a jerk you typically are?
  • When laid back is used in the same context of "classy, formal, winter, Gatsby" wedding, you no for sure the bride is going to be anything but laid back.
    Is this along the same lines as the more complicated your coffee order, the bigger a jerk you typically are?
    Help--SITB

H and I don't do Starbucks much, but when we do he normally gets a black coffee and I get a hot tea.  One of the baristas got really excited when she took our order because she'd been so busy with specialty drinks all day, I think it was nice to just pour hot water in a cup.
  • missfrodo said:
    Help--SITB

H and I don't do Starbucks much, but when we do he normally gets a black coffee and I get a hot tea.  One of the baristas got really excited when she took our order because she'd been so busy with specialty drinks all day, I think it was nice to just pour hot water in a cup.
    When you get stuck in the box, it's probably because you tried to backspace. Next time, hit ctrl+z and instead of backspacing, shift+arrow back and type over.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards