Chit Chat

Banning hard alcohol/liquor at college parties - discuss

13»

Re: Banning hard alcohol/liquor at college parties - discuss

• banana468 said:
    Here most liquor stores are independently owned as opposed to state run, but some municipalities have regulations that only allow for city-run shops.

In other booze news, my city council just voted yesterday to extend sales to 10 PM Monday-Friday (it was already 10 on Friday and Saturday, closed on Sunday)!  Woo!  All the surrounding cities changed closing time to 10 over a decade ago when the state law changed, but somehow it never got adjusted in my city.  It wasn't a big deal to pop over to Minneapolis if it was after 8 on a week night, since the border is like a mile from our house, but now we will be able to go to the store just a few blocks up the street.
    10pm?  Where do you live; 1950?  Hell, half the time I forget to buy wine until I'm sitting on the sofa.
    I can't get pizza after 9 in my town!!

Luckily I do live a half hour from the country's best - but that's a new tangent.   
    Oh man!  I'm so glad I'm a city girl.
    Our liquor and beer stores are only open until 9 or 10pm depending on which part of the city you live in. 
  • I live in a town of about 5K.   There are 5 liquor stores within 2.5 miles of my house.   4 out of 5 of them are open until 10pm Monday-Saturday.  1 is open until mid-night.   All of them close at 8pm on Sundays.      We normally get off work after 8pm on Sundays, so we try and make sure we are stocked before hand.

Most restaurants  stop serving at 9, with a few extending it to 10pm in season, couple only till 8. Some are only open for breakfast and lunch.  

There are only 2 places (maybe 3) that keep their bars open after 10pm.  They close at 2am.  Sometimes earlier if it's slow.  If you want late night action you need to go towns 10-15 miles away.

Some flat out close for a few weeks in the fall and spring.

The grocery stores changes their hours during the fall and spring also. That is always fun trying to do a late after-work (10pm) run only to find out it's closed.

Nothing is open all night.   2 of the gas stations close as early as 8pm.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I feel you on the small town thing. Nothing except restaurants are open after 6 around here, and most of those are a) at least a 15-min drive from where we live, b) close at 9pm or earlier, and c) not all of them serve alcohol and some that do only have beer and not a full bar. Boo.

We have vacationed in NOLA and Puerto Rico and I miss both for their open-late entertainment and easy to buy liquor. Here in NC, though we can get beer/wine in the grocery stores and gas stations, we can't buy any alcohol til noon on Sundays and call the place where we buy hard liquor the ABC store. Because the (government-operated) stores have a big ABC on the sign. Stands for Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission.
  • I feel you on the small town thing. Nothing except restaurants are open after 6 around here, and most of those are a) at least a 15-min drive from where we live, b) close at 9pm or earlier, and c) not all of them serve alcohol and some that do only have beer and not a full bar. Boo.

We have vacationed in NOLA and Puerto Rico and I miss both for their open-late entertainment and easy to buy liquor. Here in NC, though we can get beer/wine in the grocery stores and gas stations, we can't buy any alcohol til noon on Sundays and call the place where we buy hard liquor the ABC store. Because the (government-operated) stores have a big ABC on the sign. Stands for Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission.
    I was raised in NC and was wondering if ABC stores were still in existence for hard alcohol. Thanks for answering my question!
  • Ha.  I may be in conservative Alberta, but don't mess with our liquor.  Everything is sold only in liquor stores, but they're open till 2am, (some earlier, depending on the store and their hours) even on Sundays.  

• I lived in a state that had the 3.2 beer, but we always called it "near beer."
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards