Wedding Woes

Vent thread

Re: Vent thread

• i2i with the other complaining about trying to sell stuff online. I put up Wolverine's crib&mattress for a really fair price (essentially 25% of retail, factoring in some cash for our time to deliver it.) I had a woman ask if i would take less and i told her that her price was ok if she arranged for pickup - but since i was OOT, she needed to wait until i got back.

she  told me that she was going on vacation right when we got back but her son could pick up. i sent her a follow up when she was supposed to be back and she said she still wanted it, please hold it for her, she would get back to me the next day to arrange pick up. this was in August. everything is still sitting in one of our guest rooms, and she stopped responding after that. seriously lady, how hard is it to send a text "i changed my mind, thanks anyway."
  • I someone want to buy a trike and art easel off of me.  She said she was starting an in-home daycare and could really use them.  I put them on my porch and she missed the first two pick ups.  Then she posted to our neighborhood page about hosting a botox party.  I can see her house from my front porch.  She never responded after my third attempt to contact her.

Last month I came across some plastic kids spoons.  I posted them free to the neighborhood page.  I'll be darned she said she wanted them.  They sat on my porch for 3 days before I pitched them. 

Her son is also the asshole that told M2 she was annoying and needed to shut up. 
  • I'm afraid I'm going to be in the pickup hell club too. I offered up some disposable cupcake boxes and treat boxes (orange with halloween stickers) for Free on my local baby page because they would be good for someone hosting a party or taking treats to school. Lady says she wants them, will pick up by noon today. She messages me at 2pm and says oops busy say I'll get them by 5:30. Should I take bets on if she actually shows up?  Our board as a low tolerance for no shows but at least for free stuff I don't have it in me to report anyone
  • @6fsn, that's so weird someone can't even come a street or so over to pick up free stuff they said they wanted.

@kvruns, it is pretty rare in my area for free stuff to be a pick-up.  The typical ad is, "XYZ on the curb in front of ABC St., first come first served, I'll pull this ad once it is gone".

People are really quick on the draw in my city anyway.  If I want to get rid of something, I don't even initially post it online.  I just put it out on the curb, sometimes with a sign.  If it's not gone in a few hours, than I'll put up a post.  I rarely have to do that.

I've even gotten rid of BIG items that way.  A gym-sized stair stepper machine, a broken dishwasher, and a gas stove with the back two burners not working.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been doing the FB sell thing this weekend. Overall everything has gone smoothly. There was one no show but someone else bought the stuff the next day. I posted a microwave and immediately someone wanted me to come down $10. Ummm, no I just posted it and already had someone want it for the asking price. With all the messages I was getting about stuff, I was rolling my eyes every time someone typed "no" when they meant "know". Really?
  • @short-sassy people do that on the neighborhood page and next door they say XYZ is out on the curb, or you see big stuff set out usually the day/night before trash pick up day. My local baby board people will do free stuff but still have it assigned to someone. I've gotten formula samples, new pacifiers, and something else that way which has been nice. 
  • I've been doing the FB sell thing this weekend. Overall everything has gone smoothly. There was one no show but someone else bought the stuff the next day. I posted a microwave and immediately someone wanted me to come down $10. Ummm, no I just posted it and already had someone want it for the asking price. With all the messages I was getting about stuff, I was rolling my eyes every time someone typed "no" when they meant "know". Really?

I'm a terrible bargainer, lol.  If I think something is worth X price, I don't even try to haggle.  If I wouldn't pay their asking price, I'll usually only send a note if I'm willing to offer something reasonably less.  And, if the ad just posted, I'll wait one day.

I'm the same way if I am selling something.  I price my stuff fair to begin with.  So if someone comes in all crazy and wants me to knock another 50%-75% off the price, I don't even bother responding. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What's up with ridiculous prices on kid fundraisers? My brother sent me a text about a fundraiser for my niece. $17 for 3  dozen cookies (or rather frozen cookie dough to make them). Wtf I just bought some ready to bake cookie dough 24 cookies for $2. Sheesh. 
  • kvruns said:
    What's up with ridiculous prices on kid fundraisers? My brother sent me a text about a fundraiser for my niece. $17 for 3  dozen cookies (or rather frozen cookie dough to make them). Wtf I just bought some ready to bake cookie dough 24 cookies for $2. Sheesh. 
    Right?!?!

My teenage brother's girlfriend is involved with the Scouts/Cubs organization and they are selling popcorn. It's $11 for a regular size chip bag that you'd buy at the grocery store, for what, $3.50-4.00 for the most expensive brand.
  • I used to really like the Scouts popcorn.  The last 2 times I bought it, it wasn't good at all.  It didn't pop up fluffy.  I felt like it was stale.  After 2x, I just started declining.  At least GS cookies are still somewhat cheap.  I can spend $20 and I don't feel like I've been completely bamboozled for a fundraiser.
  • re: Scouts I'm glad our friends with boys in Scouts (or maybe they are not in it this year) didn't ask to buy because my H is nicer than me and will spend like $50 for 2 chip bags of carmel corn or something. For my niece's cookies my brother asked how many and I was like uhhh just 1 I don't need more cookies than that.
  • Because it's a fundraiser, you can deduct it from your taxes less the value of the item. So if you bought 3 dozen cookies for $17 and the real value of those cookies is $3, you can count the other $14 as a donation. 
  • Because it's a fundraiser, you can deduct it from your taxes less the value of the item. So if you bought 3 dozen cookies for $17 and the real value of those cookies is $3, you can count the other $14 as a donation. 
    Good point. Unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose) we don't have enough to itemize so we don't get credit for donations.
  • Here's my vent:

Son keeps messing with the toaster setting and it's pissing me the hell off.

He has been eating peanut butter toast at night for snacks and he sets the toaster at 1.5.  I mean, WTF are you even using the toaster for at that point?  So I don't notice (because you assume that the toaster is set to actually toast), use the damn thing in the morning, my toast is still just bread, I try to re-toast and it comes out all wrong.

I want to hulksmash something.  Yes, over two slices of bread.

• kvruns said:
    Because it's a fundraiser, you can deduct it from your taxes less the value of the item. So if you bought 3 dozen cookies for $17 and the real value of those cookies is $3, you can count the other $14 as a donation. 
    Good point. Unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose) we don't have enough to itemize so we don't get credit for donations.
    Maybe at some point in the future it will be relevant information for you.
  • kvruns said:
    Because it's a fundraiser, you can deduct it from your taxes less the value of the item. So if you bought 3 dozen cookies for $17 and the real value of those cookies is $3, you can count the other $14 as a donation. 
    Maybe at some point in the future it will be relevant information for you.
    oh yea I used to do it all the time, we use ItsDeductible to track donations and it feeds right into Turbo Tax which is nice and was good when I itemized. We still record donations even though we don't actually get credit for them.
  • @tawillers I am the 1.5 toaster person. 

My my new rage Dh takes oatmeal with honey wvery day for work. Every morning I come down to one cupboard partially open because he can't put the honey back right. Every effing morning. 

Also insurance. I hate that our coverage depends on what county I live in. I have to constantly tell providers that I am in x county so I am in fact covered. 
  • kvruns said:
    We still record donations even though we don't actually get credit for them.
    Same, it's a bit annoying. 
  • Co-irker (via chat): "Hey, have we gotten an e-mail from abc@def.com?"
    Me: "No, we don't have anything from that e-mail.  And in the future, here's how you look up e-mail addresses to see if we've received anything."
    Her: "I did that and nothing came up."
    Me: 
  • My good friend broke up with her bf last night and called me super upset and asked me to come over.  So I dropped what I was doing and went over to comfort her because I am a good friend and I do love her.  My evening plans weren't anything I couldn't forgo, but I was really excited about the rain, and making stew for dinner.  Then, today, she texts me and tells me she's thinking of getting back together with him.  I'm worried because he's not great for her, and honestly they should have broken up months ago, but there's also a part of me that is really annoyed about not being able to make my stew last night.  There was thunder and lightening and everything here.  It's SO RARE.  Total comfort food weather.  And I missed it.  Now I have to make stew when it's 83 degrees outside and I have to wait until Thursday, which is the next day I'll be home.

Clarifier: I really am worried about my friend. I'm not a total dick. lol

• levioosa said:
    My good friend broke up with her bf last night and called me super upset and asked me to come over.  So I dropped what I was doing and went over to comfort her because I am a good friend and I do love her.  My evening plans weren't anything I couldn't forgo, but I was really excited about the rain, and making stew for dinner.  Then, today, she texts me and tells me she's thinking of getting back together with him.  I'm worried because he's not great for her, and honestly they should have broken up months ago, but there's also a part of me that is really annoyed about not being able to make my stew last night.  There was thunder and lightening and everything here.  It's SO RARE.  Total comfort food weather.  And I missed it.  Now I have to make stew when it's 83 degrees outside and I have to wait until Thursday, which is the next day I'll be home.

@levioosa I would be right in the same boat with you. Concerned, yet also kind of like "If you're going to just go right back to him then WTF did I skip my night at home w/ stew for???" Totally get it.

@tawillers I'm not sure how you haven't completely lost it on your son for the 1.5 toaster thing. It would push me over the edge.

My vent for the day: people who wait forever to cash checks make me absolutely insane. I hate writing checks to begin with, but there are a few circumstances where it's been necessary. Without fail, every single time, it's like people hold them for weeks before taking them to the bank. WHY? Why would you do that to someone? There is no reason to hold a check for that long.

• levioosa said:
    My good friend broke up with her bf last night and called me super upset and asked me to come over.  So I dropped what I was doing and went over to comfort her because I am a good friend and I do love her.  My evening plans weren't anything I couldn't forgo, but I was really excited about the rain, and making stew for dinner.  Then, today, she texts me and tells me she's thinking of getting back together with him.  I'm worried because he's not great for her, and honestly they should have broken up months ago, but there's also a part of me that is really annoyed about not being able to make my stew last night.  There was thunder and lightening and everything here.  It's SO RARE.  Total comfort food weather.  And I missed it.  Now I have to make stew when it's 83 degrees outside and I have to wait until Thursday, which is the next day I'll be home.

this^^^ doesn't make you a bad friend. In your shoes, I'd be annoyed as well. 

FWIW, I would be honest with her about him being a dick and being better off without him in the long run. The last thing that you want to see is a friend or a family member stuck in a cycle of destructive behavior. 

I'm a terrible bargainer, lol.  If I think something is worth X price, I don't even try to haggle.  If I wouldn't pay their asking price, I'll usually only send a note if I'm willing to offer something reasonably less.  And, if the ad just posted, I'll wait one day.

I'm the same way if I am selling something.  I price my stuff fair to begin with.  So if someone comes in all crazy and wants me to knock another 50%-75% off the price, I don't even bother responding. 

I don't bargain at all. When I flip look through those FB groups, most stuff is crazy cheap to begin with. I'll look at an item and if I post "interested" it means I am ready to buy this item now and the only reason I wouldn't is if I suddenly had a heart attack and was in the hospital or if I arrive and find something is substantially different from the way it was represented in the photos and description. 

H and I have both bought items off of FB groups. If something is overpriced, I don't post on it. I only post on things we're truly interested in. We got a great dining room table and chairs for about $80 to $100. 
  • Elevator vent

We have schedule choices at work.  People's start times are between 6:30AM-9:00AM, with the majority of people coming in between 7:00-8:00.

So, why does the janitor choose 7:00-7:30AM to vacuum the elevator floors?  That makes one elevator out of use in that time frame.  Right during the prime time of people coming to work!  And sometimes he forgets to put the one he is working on out of service, so then only the freight elevator works.  Because Passenger Elevator #2, sees that his "buddy" is already on the first floor, so he just stays on whatever floor he is already hanging out on.

Speaking of the freight elevator, sometimes he loses his mind.  I work on the "top" floor, which is the 5th floor.  The freight elevator will be on my floor.  I push the button for it.  It doesn't open.  It immediately goes down to the 4th floor.  Waits 20-30 seconds.  Then comes back to the 5th floor and opens.  WHY?!?  Why does that happen?  It's so weird and annoying.

I don't know why I'm assuming elevators are "him's".  I just somehow have a rock solid belief that they are, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just got an email asked if I wanted to work during the holidays.   They said in the spirit of the holidays X-mas eve and NYE would be a flat rate of 'x' per night.    

Ah, I made a flat rate of 'x' for just NYE last year.    That means I would be getting a 50% decrease in pay for that one night.  Heck, the only reason to work NYE was the pay was so good.  

Xmas eve they didn't give us a flat rate, but with my hourly the flat rate comes out to only out to $50 more.

Something tells me they will have a hard time getting people this year.  Even me, because I have day job this winter.  In order to work during the holidays I would have pull doubles (catch the snowcat at 6:30, finish at 4ish.  Go right to the club until 9-10).    It's only for a few weeks, so if the pay is good I will do it.  If not.  Sorry Charlie.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • another vent.

In the last 2 days i've had 5 phone calls from 2 different people about cleaning the old place.   The realtor is calling me to be make sure I'm cleaning the windows and appliances (which I did and was going to do without being told)- except outside windows in the areas that need a ladder).  

The landlord is calling for the same thing. She actually said the buyer's booker wants to do a walk through to make sure it's clean enough for her clients? Seriously?  

Which begs the question?  What if I didn't clean it to their liking?  What happens then?    We are leaving the place cleaner than when we took over the lease.  

Then asked about the carpet cleaning.  Note  - she asked us to do it a 6 weeks before we moved out so it would look good for showings and she would do another one when we move out.  Now I think she doesn't want to the another one, but there are clear traffic area spots because our furniture wasn't moved.  NOT MY PROBLEM.   

They keep calling me for stuff.  It's getting old.  I just want to scream  IT'S NOT MY HOUSE, I'M JUST THE TENANT.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated.