Wedding Woes

Vent thread

Re: Vent thread

• lyndausvi said:
    another vent.

In the last 2 days i've had 5 phone calls from 2 different people about cleaning the old place.   The realtor is calling me to be make sure I'm cleaning the windows and appliances (which I did and was going to do without being told)- except outside windows in the areas that need a ladder).  

The landlord is calling for the same thing. She actually said the buyer's booker wants to do a walk through to make sure it's clean enough for her clients? Seriously?  

Which begs the question?  What if I didn't clean it to their liking?  What happens then?    We are leaving the place cleaner than when we took over the lease.  

Then asked about the carpet cleaning.  Note  - she asked us to do it a 6 weeks before we moved out so it would look good for showings and she would do another one when we move out.  Now I think she doesn't want to the another one, but there are clear traffic area spots because our furniture wasn't moved.  NOT MY PROBLEM.   

They keep calling me for stuff.  It's getting old.  I just want to scream  IT'S NOT MY HOUSE, I'M JUST THE TENANT.

What does your lease say about cleaning? We rented a house from a management company once and our lease said broom/mop cleaning, so that's what we did. And cleaned out cabinets, appliances, windows, which was far cleaner than when we moved in. When the owner moved back she complained it was professionally done and the company wanted us to pay or keep our security deposit. We said no way, quoted the lease, and what the agent told us/wrote down in the walk through. We got our entire deposit back. 

If they want you to do something that isn't in the lease, too bad. They can't change their mind about what they want done now (especially given how accommodating you've been). If she wants a second carpet cleaning she can do it herself, not your problem anymore. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    another vent.

In the last 2 days i've had 5 phone calls from 2 different people about cleaning the old place.   The realtor is calling me to be make sure I'm cleaning the windows and appliances (which I did and was going to do without being told)- except outside windows in the areas that need a ladder).  

The landlord is calling for the same thing. She actually said the buyer's booker wants to do a walk through to make sure it's clean enough for her clients? Seriously?  

Which begs the question?  What if I didn't clean it to their liking?  What happens then?    We are leaving the place cleaner than when we took over the lease.  

Then asked about the carpet cleaning.  Note  - she asked us to do it a 6 weeks before we moved out so it would look good for showings and she would do another one when we move out.  Now I think she doesn't want to the another one, but there are clear traffic area spots because our furniture wasn't moved.  NOT MY PROBLEM.   

They keep calling me for stuff.  It's getting old.  I just want to scream  IT'S NOT MY HOUSE, I'M JUST THE TENANT.

What does your lease say about cleaning? We rented a house from a management company once and our lease said broom/mop cleaning, so that's what we did. And cleaned out cabinets, appliances, windows, which was far cleaner than when we moved in. When the owner moved back she complained it was professionally done and the company wanted us to pay or keep our security deposit. We said no way, quoted the lease, and what the agent told us/wrote down in the walk through. We got our entire deposit back. 

If they want you to do something that isn't in the lease, too bad. They can't change their mind about what they want done now (especially given how accommodating you've been). If she wants a second carpet cleaning she can do it herself, not your problem anymore. 
    Our lease says we have to have professional carpet cleaners and have the place cleaned, but not specific by who or what.    

Because she put the place on the market she asked us to have the carpets cleaned sooner so it will show nicer.   We agreed. 

As far as cleaning we did all the walls, baseboards, doors, appliances, bathrooms from top to bottom, wiped down cabinets and windows.    She has not painted this place in years (or maybe even ever).   The carpets are over 16 years old.   So no matter how much you clean, certain areas just like dingy.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Right now - I'm annoyed with DH - He paces (NBD), and I'm working on some stuff with my coach (he's in FL I'm in MN) via email that I don't want DH seeing - and he's freaking pacing which breaks my thought process every time I have to click to a different tab which makes this take longer and it's irritating!  Dang it - I want to get out to the gym!
  • *Barbie* said:
    Really annoyed with people telling me I'll  change my mind about not co sleeping once I actually have a kid. Uh no. I'm a neonatal nurse, I've done a TON on research, projects, and presentations at work,and multiple papers and projects in grad school on the topic of safe sleep, so no I will not be co sleeping as it increases the risk of SIDS. I'm not going to change my mind bc I'm tired. I'm not going to change my mind just bc it's easier. So don't tell me something Ive done research on and am passionate about doesn't matter bc I'm not a parent to a living child. 
    FWIW, Wolverine was in her own room, in her own crib from night #1, and I haven't had any issues about my kid sleeping in her room. I can think of 1 night that she slept in bed with me - and it was because she decided to be wide awake at midnight, I was out of town, and it was the only way I was going to get any sleep. She'll be 6 next week. 

Just start to tell people that if they weren't directly involved in the conception of the child, they can kindly keep their opinions to themselves. :smile:
    So much this.   It's a to each his/her own thing here.   I know smart people who made co-sleeping work.   It was great for them.    I did a modified co-sleep and would often nurse DS to sleep next to me.   At the time, DH also slept downstairs and did the entire time I'd ever have DS in the bed.

It doesn't work for everyone and I know that there are risks which I why there weren't any blankets near him, he was swaddled and the pillows were out of the way.  I also never nursed laying down after drinking.

• edited October 2016

I'm listening to a group of old white rich guys talk about how wonderful Trump is.

Edit: One guy is literally saying "Go Trump!" like it's a salutation or something.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm listening to a group of old white rich guys talk about how wonderful Trump is.

Edit: One guy is literally saying "Go Trump!" like it's a salutation or something.

Did he follow it up with "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"
  • I'm listening to a group of old white rich guys talk about how wonderful Trump is.

I believe that's how a war started ... :\ do these men forget?

"Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana.

Not just one war, there are quite a few that could be attributed to rich, old, white men sitting around. 
    I was thinking specifically Hitler and Germany.

"Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana.
    YES
  • Can I vent about myself? Is that a thing?

I just had a meeting with my boss. She's mentioned things a number of times about things I'm messing up so today we had to sit down and talk.
    My overly emotional self started to cry because I'm just so irritated that I'm making these mistakes! I know I shouldn't be at this point and it's just so frustrating!

My boss is good and she felt bad I was upset. Even when I was texting H about how upset I was that it happened and started tearing up.
    So irked with myself.
  • I seriously have to roll my eyes at my boss right now. He just told me that I needed to credit a sale back and re-do it to a new subproject (every time a trailer is bought and sold it gets a new subproject). So I take a look at it and the date of the one he's questioning is from February. We took it in on trade for what the seller paid us for it. It's pretty obvious that the sale was from February and didn't need to be credited back. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    another vent.

Our lease says we have to have professional carpet cleaners and have the place cleaned, but not specific by who or what.    

Because she put the place on the market she asked us to have the carpets cleaned sooner so it will show nicer.   We agreed. 

As far as cleaning we did all the walls, baseboards, doors, appliances, bathrooms from top to bottom, wiped down cabinets and windows.    She has not painted this place in years (or maybe even ever).   The carpets are over 16 years old.   So no matter how much you clean, certain areas just like dingy.

it sounds like you fulfilled the terms of your lease - you had the carpets cleaned when asked. unless you had some sort of catastrophic event or massive home repair project, the carpets couldn't have taken that much of a beating in 6 weeks. 

We just had some of ours cleaned because 60-70% of our house has been a construction zone for the last 2 months. Part of it was precautionary (due to the water damage), but i got them to add the hall, stairs, and part of our bedroom because of all of the foot traffic and contractors that left a mess and tracked stuff all over. They've seen more damage in the last 8 weeks than the past 6 years that we've lived here.
  • lyndausvi said:
    another vent.

Has the LL or her agent even been in the house since you all moved out?  If not, I'd tell them not to contact me any further about this issue, unless there is a specific complaint about the cleanliness.  That's bizarre.  Assuming your lease ends today.  You didn't have to clean anything until today,  But you're nice people, so you did.  She should be more appreciative.

No amount of carpet cleaning is going to make 16-year-old carpets look nice and presentable.  That is way past carpet life, especially for a rental.  Most LL's replace carpets every few years, between tenants.  At least the crazy ones who put carpets in rentals to begin with.

I'm assuming you already took pics of the place after your move-out and you were done cleaning.  If not, be sure to do that if you can still get in.  Especially with showings and various people stomping through the house, the old carpet is going to quickly look downtrodden again.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Can I vent about myself? Is that a thing?

I just had a meeting with my boss. She's mentioned things a number of times about things I'm messing up so today we had to sit down and talk.
    My overly emotional self started to cry because I'm just so irritated that I'm making these mistakes! I know I shouldn't be at this point and it's just so frustrating!

My boss is good and she felt bad I was upset. Even when I was texting H about how upset I was that it happened and started tearing up.
    So irked with myself.

I'm sorry to hear that!  Work problems/criticisms get me really upset also.

I was just venting about myself to my H last week.  We can be our own worst critics.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DH wants a leaf blower.  Okay, fine.

The one he wants is not carried in-store by either Lowe's or HD, and both stores claim to be "out of stock online."  Not fine.

So he asks me to order it from the manufacturer's website.  Sure, fine, whatever.  I have a 15% off coupon because I agreed to let them spam me, so all in it's cheaper than advertised by the box stores.  Cool beans.

However, as I am preparing to check out, I notice that none of the shipping speed options have a "delivery estimate" associated with them.  I imagine if I pay $28 for express shipping, it'll arrive before the 7th, but who the hell knows?  I've never bought anything from this manufacturer.

I call the company, and I am told I need to wait for "an email confirmation of your order, and that will include the delivery estimate."  I can't argue with them or press the issue because I feel like I'm going to rupture my spleen if I try to force my voice through the laryngitis I came down with.

We're moving in 9 days.  Everything has to be on the truck in 8.  I am not about to spend $175 on a leaf blower and accessories without a solid guarantee before I am charged that the damn thing will arrive before the moving truck leaves the house.  And I don't have one.

I explained all of this to DH when he texted me at lunch.  He said, "OK."

Not five minutes ago, he emailed me to ask if I had ordered the *&$% thing.

AYFKM?  GTFO.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• lyndausvi said:
    another vent.

Has the LL or her agent even been in the house since you all moved out?  If not, I'd tell them not to contact me any further about this issue, unless there is a specific complaint about the cleanliness.  That's bizarre.  Assuming your lease ends today.  You didn't have to clean anything until today,  But you're nice people, so you did.  She should be more appreciative.

No amount of carpet cleaning is going to make 16-year-old carpets look nice and presentable.  That is way past carpet life, especially for a rental.  Most LL's replace carpets every few years, between tenants.  At least the crazy ones who put carpets in rentals to begin with.

I'm assuming you already took pics of the place after your move-out and you were done cleaning.  If not, be sure to do that if you can still get in.  Especially with showings and various people stomping through the house, the old carpet is going to quickly look downtrodden again.

The LL was last in the place back in Sept when the realtor looked at the place to put on the market.   She never even came over to look at the damage from the flood.  Heck, she hasn't even asked about the flood.  I'm not even sure she is aware they ceiling was fixed and repainted.     She is very much only take the money and do nothing type of landlord.   

One reason why we were out sooner was DH had surgery last week and we knew he wouldn't be able to move (knee surgery and we moved from a 3 story townhouse to another 3 story).  I wanted to get the cleaning done before today. Why the agent was calling me hounding me when it would be clean is beyond me?  I know he knew we would be out, but we paid for the whole month and were not in any hurry to get it done.   

The LL and I are doing a walk through tomorrow before she goes to closing.   I already have my ducks in a row in case she doesn't give us the whole deposit back.   She is a landlord who tried to tell us we were responsible for fixing the heater.   Until we pointed out that CO law states she is responsible.   That was 2 years ago and wouldn't put it past her to try and deduct the expense from our deposit.

Our new LL are complete opposites.  They gave us a $200 discount for Nov, because of some minor inconveniences we fixed for them.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    another vent.

The LL was last in the place back in Sept when the realtor looked at the place to put on the market.   She never even came over to look at the damage from the flood.  Heck, she hasn't even asked about the flood.  I'm not even sure she is aware they ceiling was fixed and repainted.     She is very much only take the money and do nothing type of landlord.   

One reason why we were out sooner was DH had surgery last week and we knew he wouldn't be able to move (knee surgery and we moved from a 3 story townhouse to another 3 story).  I wanted to get the cleaning done before today. Why the agent was calling me hounding me when it would be clean is beyond me?  I know he knew we would be out, but we paid for the whole month and were not in any hurry to get it done.   

The LL and I are doing a walk through tomorrow before she goes to closing.   I already have my ducks in a row in case she doesn't give us the whole deposit back.   She is a landlord who tried to tell us we were responsible for fixing the heater.   Until we pointed out that CO law states she is responsible.   That was 2 years ago and wouldn't put it past her to try and deduct the expense from our deposit.

Our new LL are complete opposites.  They gave us a $200 discount for Nov, because of some minor inconveniences we fixed for them.  

Oh!!!!  I totally forgot she has a buyer and the showings are done.  Even more weird they are freaking out about cleanliness.  Maybe its different where you live, but "clean or not clean" is not even a thing when buying a house.  Though I think the general standard is "broom swept".  Not that I've ever had a home delivered to me that way, lol.  Nobody is going to walk away from the closing table because the fridge wasn't wiped down and/or the windows are dirty.  Or the carpet, that the buyers already saw, looks dingy.  Geez.

Me personally, if I were selling a house the day after my tenants moved out, I would have been over there 1-2 weeks ago to make sure everything was in good repair.  So I'd have time to fix things, if needed.

Hopefully she won't do anything wacky about the security deposit.  Her house is being sold the same day.  Her "damages", if there even were any, are ZERO.  And obviously no court is going to let her hold back money for a heating repair, assuming normal wear and tear. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    another vent.

Oh!!!!  I totally forgot she has a buyer and the showings are done.  Even more weird they are freaking out about cleanliness.  Maybe its different where you live, but "clean or not clean" is not even a thing when buying a house.  Though I think the general standard is "broom swept".  Not that I've ever had a home delivered to me that way, lol.  Nobody is going to walk away from the closing table because the fridge wasn't wiped down and/or the windows are dirty.  Or the carpet, that the buyers already saw, looks dingy.  Geez.

Me personally, if I were selling a house the day after my tenants moved out, I would have been over there 1-2 weeks ago to make sure everything was in good repair.  So I'd have time to fix things, if needed.

Hopefully she won't do anything wacky about the security deposit.  Her house is being sold the same day.  Her "damages", if there even were any, are ZERO.  And obviously no court is going to let her hold back money for a heating repair, assuming normal wear and tear. 

I just saw a truck in front of the house.   So I go inside.  There are 2 dudes and a woman walking around.   I asked who they were, she is the buyer's agent showing the 2 guys the place to rent.

So basically they wanted the place move in ready for immediate rental.   That is why all the inquires on when it will be vacate and cleaned.  

And this LL has done nothing to the place.  Heater, carpets, paint, appliances are all original .   It screams wear and tear.     I doubt it would stop her from trying though.

• This is long:  K's former roommates are the nastiest goddamn people alive.  Both physically and emotionally.

We'll call them Queen and Diva, both drag performers K met and became close to when she moved here in December.  Queen and Diva move into K's house in March.  K tells them to start paying their share of rent/board in April.

Queen never pays K a damn dime.  Diva pays, but never on time, never in full.  I'm pretty sure she still owes K money.  Now, K feels like her hands are tied, b/c Queen is show director of drag bar K performs at.

K has pretty basically been staying in (now) our apartment since March.  Queen and Diva make snide comments made here and there when they all performed together about K never coming home.  K and I chalk it up to jealousy and ignored it (I know that Diva was in serious lust/like over K; I showed up and ruined Diva's plans.  I no longer tolerate Diva herself in my life b/c of things she has said about me that have made their way back to me.  Diva is under the impression people like her more than me).

Drag performing drama happens right in June/July with a drag competition K is in (this is the one where K is kicked out of competition by Queen).  Relationship is taking a downturn.  Queen tries to open conversation at one point, but K is no longer really receptive or interested in being friends.  K is also already banned from the drag show and has started booking elsewhere, so no longer cares about the politics.

K tells Queen in August that K won't be renewing her lease in December.  K then messages Queen and Diva in September, asking that they both be out by November 15.  K gets a nasty message in return from Diva, saying Queen and Diva have already moved out b/c Diva was under the impression from Queen that K was kicking them out.

Whatever.  We go into the house and are met with the stench of cat urine.  As we start packing/cleaning, there is cat urine and cat feces in every corner of the living room.  We head upstairs and I gag.  There is a cat box up there that has probably never been cleaned out.  I still don't know what they could've done to the dishwasher to make it smell like it did, but I actually couldn't get it clean.  We get through all of this.

While packing, we find quite a bit of their stuff left.  We box it up, about 4 boxes worth.  K messages them Saturday night, telling them we have boxes of their things and an approximate list of what is in there.  First, Diva wants us to go through the boxes and find out if the shoes in the boxes are "X shoes" and some other things.  No, the stuff is in boxes.  Then Queen wants us to deliver the boxes to her at her workplace.  No, we are not a delivery service.  Then they both proceed to unload on K about this damn stuff they've left behind.  

I have tried to stay out of this entire mess for a plethora of reasons from the very beginning.  I lost my goddamn mind at this point.  I took K's phone, wrote that the boxes would be on the porch until 2:00 in the afternoon on Monday, at which point they would be thrown away if they were still there.  They could pick them up or not, as they saw fit.  "Left" the message and blocked them on K's phone.  Granted, she can unblock them, but I was like, "You need to be done with these people.  They are toxic."  She agreed.

TL;DR: I'm so glad my GF has moved away from some seriously toxic friends, b/c I didn't want them in my life either.
  • @VarunaTT I've wondered for a while...what is DK?
  • VarunaTT said:
    I'm not sure what you mean, so here are the possible things I think you mean.  :smiley:

K - my girlfriend's name that i reduce to first initial for privacy's sake
    DK -- drag king: I'm going to give the most simple explanation possible: bio woman performing a male illusion.  Most famous in my mind if you want an example would be Landon Cider (side by side):

Very basically the drag world now has:

Drag Queen -- born at birth male performing a female illusion (this doesn't take into account MtF transgender drag queens, embodied most famously by Carmen Carrera from RPDR)

Drag King -- born at birth female performing a male illusion (this definition doesn't take into account FtM transgender drag kings, I don't know an example specifically)

Diva -- born at birth female performing in drag queen style (Wendy Ho is a specific example; I'm sure there are MtF transgender performers performing as Divas, but I do not know any specifically)

Devo -- born at birth male performing in...um...well this can be complicated b/c it can seem like a drag king...or boylesque...or Chippendales...but it's usually based on being really ridiculously good looking, mostly naked, in bad ass costumes (again, I'm sure there are FtM transgender performers performing as Divos, I do not know any specifically).
    Ok. I've seen you refer to your girlfriend as K, but I've seen someone else refer to their partner as DK. I thought it was Dear something, but I can't figure out the something. Thank you for clearing up your name for me. 

In that picture you posted....where are her boobs???
  • @VarunaTT I've wondered for a while...what is DK?

I've assumed that Barbie uses DK instead of DH as "Dear Ken" since her name is Barbie. I could be wrong though.
    That's where else I've seen it. I can't believe I never thought of that!