Wedding Woes

Vent thread

Re: Vent thread

• It's because people who complain about 'taking the Jesus out of Christmas' forget don't care that there are other religion holidays around that time.

FTFY.

Heffalump said:

But seriously, so stupid.  They make it sound like Obama and the ACLU are coming for their Christmas wreaths.  I had to stop reading the comments after "Really make people mad and play Christmas music!" because I was afraid for my blood pressure. 

But he is, right after he elects himself for a third term and then takes their guns and their bibles.  It's the most obvious next step.

Very sad to say but, when Obama was first elected, I worked for a very politically conservative, Christian right company.  You might wonder how I would know that.  Exactly.  They were horrifyingly UN-politically correct.  Monthly meetings opened with a prayer.  Company sent e-mails to everyone promoting "pro-life" measures.  I complained to HR about that one.  Only to find out it was the President of the company who directed that one to be sent out.

But I digress.  I go to work the day after Obama was elected and two of the guys with offices near me were planning a "gun buying" outing at lunchtime.  Because, "they better buy them now before Obama bans firearm sales".  Please don't think that these guys did not already own hunting rifles and handguns.  I had to focus on keeping my eyes from popping out of my head or rolling and my mouth from hanging on the floor when they were excitedly telling me about their lunch plans.  I wish I were joking.  I wish I was exaggerating.  It was insane paranoia at its best.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Coworker - "Question"

SSC - "Yes, but.."

Coworker - Cuts me off "no, no, that's all I needed".

One minute later.

Coworker - "Follow-up question".

SSC - "Well, had you let me finish, I was going to say [answer to F/U question]".

Other coworker - "I'm sorry you're having a bad day".

Seriously? STFU. My day is fine. It's just annoying to be told basically to shut up when trying to answer a question you're going to ask anyway.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @ShesSoCold  you have weird coworkers :\ 
  • Coworker - "Question"

SSC - "Yes, but.."

Coworker - Cuts me off "no, no, that's all I needed".

One minute later.

Coworker - "Follow-up question".

SSC - "Well, had you let me finish, I was going to say [answer to F/U question]".

Other coworker - "I'm sorry you're having a bad day".

Seriously? STFU. My day is fine. It's just annoying to be told basically to shut up when trying to answer a question you're going to ask anyway.

This is probably my biggest pet peeve with my H.  Interrupting me.  He doesn't do it super often, thankfully.  But he'll do something like this 2-3x/month.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm resurrecting the vent thread to say that Room Dad needs a Ho Sit Down card.  He emailed me to ask if we could get together to talk about what we're supposed to do, and I replied "I'm sorry, what we're supposed to do about what?"

Room Parents plan two things:  class parties (Fall, Winter, and end of the year), and the PTA basket fundraiser at the end of March.  For the former, you post a sign up for cookies, cupcakes, juice, etc. and parents sign up.  For the latter, you coordinate donations for the gift basket around whatever theme the PTA assigns our class.  (Kindergarten was a spa day basket, 1st grade was I <3 my dog.)  I feel like it's a bit early to be planning the winter party (last Friday before Christmas break) and WAY early for the March fundraiser or end of the year party.  So I'm reading it like

So I asked him if he wanted to head up the basket project, and he writes back

“Let's plan for winter party first then we will focus on that basket. What do u say?” 

I say grownups don’t use “U” in conversation with people they barely know, but whatever.  He is making this way harder than it needs to be.  You do not need to plan a party for 7 year olds 6 weeks in advance.  You can’t have people sign up, because they will forget what they signed up for by mid-December.  WTF is there to plan?

• My boss just used "champion" as a verb when asking me to do something mundane.

Dude, you wouldn't have to kiss my ass if you paid me.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My boss just used "champion" as a verb when asking me to do something mundane.

Don't you know champion is the new word for "get a group of people together and do everything myself?"

.... and now I'm singing Queen "We Are the Champions"
  • Drivers who honk at YOU when THEY did something wrong.  Just happened on my way to work this morning.

Dude!  It's not bad enough you almost hit me because you made your left turn into the wrong lane?  You have to rudely honk at me too?  As if I did something wrong?  GTFO.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Drivers who honk at YOU when THEY did something wrong.  Just happened on my way to work this morning.

Dude!  It's not bad enough you almost hit me because you made your left turn into the wrong lane?  You have to rudely honk at me too?  As if I did something wrong?  GTFO.

This.

It happens all the time at our Whole Foods.  Coming out of the parking lot most traffic is coming from the right.  We come in from the left.   So many times people do not look our way before pulling out.  It's crazy how many times I've had to slam on my breaks and/or are honked out for doing something wrong.

Dude/dudets.  I have the right of way. I DO NOT have a stop sign. YOU have the stop sign.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • ^^^ Goodness, yes. 

On the way home from my old job, there's a road that t's into another road. The road coming in to the through street is very steep, so it doesn't have a stop sign like you would expect, and the through street has stop signs both directions. So many people stop and then go again expecting it to be a three-way stop and the person coming down the steep hill to also stop. So many times I've almost been hit because of those idiots. Stop signs at all-way stops say all-way stop, for Pete's sake. Or they could just look and see that there's no stop sign coming down the hill. 
  • My DH took PTO this week.   He has gone to work everyday and has meetings tomorrow.   Granted they are only for a few hours, but really?

I swear the boy can't do a staycation.   It's either leave town, or he is working.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    My DH took PTO this week.   He has gone to work everyday and has meetings tomorrow.   Granted they are only for a few hours, but really?

I swear the boy can't do a staycation.   It's either leave town, or he is working.   
    My friend has an H like that.  She make sure they get the fuck OOT or else he won't stop himself from working. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    mrsconn23 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    My DH took PTO this week.   He has gone to work everyday and has meetings tomorrow.   Granted they are only for a few hours, but really?

My friend has an H like that.  She make sure they get the fuck OOT or else he won't stop himself from working. 
    There is always something. This week it's,  the guy DH "reported" to (but not really) was demoted.   He has only been here since mid-june.  Was hired by the GM who was fired.  Great guy.  Has some great  qualities. Unfortunately,  totally under qualified for the job.   Would be great in a lower position.

DH was made interim director.   So  he has more responsibilities for now.  They are in no hurry to replace the guy.   I think honestly, they are seeing if DH can do the job and promote him.  Not sure though. Just speculating.   

• lyndausvi said:

that was one of my coworkers on maternity leave. she went out on leave right after being promoted so I think was trying to stay involved in client work and learn some stuff while out but cmon enjoy the time with your baby, work can wait!   (and yes I know that working while on FMLA is a no no but in today's ever-connected world I think it happens a lot more)
  • kvruns said:
    lyndausvi said:

that was one of my coworkers on maternity leave. she went out on leave right after being promoted so I think was trying to stay involved in client work and learn some stuff while out but cmon enjoy the time with your baby, work can wait!   (and yes I know that working while on FMLA is a no no but in today's ever-connected world I think it happens a lot more)
    I think this depends on the sector. In my industry people can work while on FMLA. They can't be forced to, but some continue writing, researching, or preping courses. 
  • kvruns said:
    lyndausvi said:

I think this depends on the sector. In my industry people can work while on FMLA. They can't be forced to, but some continue writing, researching, or preping courses. 
    that is true, and there are exceptions under a sort of "professional courtesy" where an employer can ask questions of the person out on leave although it was blur the line if the employer starts asking/requiring "work" but if it is the employee wanting to do it like you described that can be different. I already know I will likely be getting some calls/texts about ACA issues while I'm out because I'm the resident expert on ACA filings and while I tried to create resources to help others in my absence I know I will still hear from some people (most likely my boss, who would be filtering questions). 
  • kvruns said:
    lyndausvi said:

One of my previous coworkers went on full maternity leave for a month after her baby was born.  I don't think she did any work during that first month.  For six weeks after that, she worked part-time, but from home.  Then came back to the office f/t.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:

I'm like this.  I at minimum always check my emails, my FI understands, it drives my sister nuts.  But as a salesperson, I get paid based on what I sell, and if I didn't I could never catch back up.
  • lyndausvi said:

I'm like this.  I at minimum always check my emails, my FI understands, it drives my sister nuts.  But as a salesperson, I get paid based on what I sell, and if I didn't I could never catch back up.
    My dad always check emails while on vacation also.  I'm use to that.  DH is doing more than just that though.   The club is closed. There are no members around.   Yet, he still feels the need to stop by to check on things.  

Today is the only day it makes sense for him to be there.   He is cooking a charity thanksgiving dinner for some 350 people on Tuesday.  He had to bring in all the food today.  Then he just added a meeting since he had to be there anyway.   

The rest of the week?  No, he went in because he just can't stay away.  Plus, his leg is not healing as well as it should.   He needs to rest, he isn't.  

The good news is he has a shit ton of PTO.  So it's not like he is wasting it to the point that we can not go away in the future.  

• My vent is I went to the maternity store because they sent a coupon for $10 off $10 - yea! They also had 30% off clearance and I found 2 bras. They ring up and the extra % didn't come off so I asked and she's like ummm no I dont think those count. nevermind the fact they counted the last 2 times I bought a clearance bra there. Things like that drive me crazy 
  • Why doesn't Macy own or use Fragile stickers?!

FMIL mailed us our plates.  They put 12 in one box without a fragile sticker, all but 3 were destroyed (and from the looks of it, shipping it in two boxes could have saved them.

Macy's says no problem, throw them away and we'll replace them.

They came today, no fragile sticker.  Bottom one is broken.  Not a big deal, I can run to the store and swap the one - but seriously - do you always mail breakables at your own cost without a sticker?!
  • kvruns said:
    My vent is I went to the maternity store because they sent a coupon for $10 off $10 - yea! They also had 30% off clearance and I found 2 bras. They ring up and the extra % didn't come off so I asked and she's like ummm no I dont think those count. nevermind the fact they counted the last 2 times I bought a clearance bra there. Things like that drive me crazy 
    YES!! I had that happen to me recently somewhere.  
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2016
    I am having the hardest time deciding between insurance policies.  One is an HSA and the other is an EPO.  The price per paycheck difference is only $50-ish.  I'm just worried about OOP expenses.  

I have until next Friday, but this has been giving me fits for a couple weeks now.  I cannot make a decision. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I am having the hardest time deciding between insurance policies.  One is an HSA and the other is an EPO.  The price per paycheck difference is only $50-ish.  I'm just worried about OOP expenses.  

I have until next Friday, but this has been giving me fits for a couple weeks now.  I cannot make a decision. 
    I know you're venting and not really asking for help, but.....
    Things to consider would be:
    -  deductibles
    - out of pocket max on each plan; is the OOP max embedded (meaning each family member is subject to his/her own max as opposed to having to hit the family max first -- though the ACA actually caps this now at $6850)
    - if you take the HSA plan does the company give you any money into your HSA or can you earn any through a wellness program
    - what are you/your family known health expenses - does anyone have a chronic health condition or a known upcoming expense like a surgery or are you guys usually healthy
    - depending on how many pay periods you have your difference in premiums is about $1200 so I would look at that and see how far off the plans are in terms of deductible/OOP and factor in the extra cost

HDHP/HSA plans get a bad rap but for people who do not consume a lot of healthcare it can be a good option. I was on one until this year because we were trying to get pregnant and his PPO plan would cover maternity at $0 so it was a no brainer to switch. Being on an HSA for so many years allowed me to save money on premiums plus build a nice nest egg with my HSA account that would cover me up to and including my out of pocket max.  My PPO plan now actually has a much higher out of pocket max than I ever had on my HDHP plans but the way the plan is structured it would be unlikely to hit it
  • kvruns said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I know you're venting and not really asking for help, but.....
    Things to consider would be:
    -  deductibles
    - out of pocket max on each plan; is the OOP max embedded (meaning each family member is subject to his/her own max as opposed to having to hit the family max first -- though the ACA actually caps this now at $6850)
    - if you take the HSA plan does the company give you any money into your HSA or can you earn any through a wellness program
    - what are you/your family known health expenses - does anyone have a chronic health condition or a known upcoming expense like a surgery or are you guys usually healthy
    - depending on how many pay periods you have your difference in premiums is about $1200 so I would look at that and see how far off the plans are in terms of deductible/OOP and factor in the extra cost

HDHP/HSA plans get a bad rap but for people who do not consume a lot of healthcare it can be a good option. I was on one until this year because we were trying to get pregnant and his PPO plan would cover maternity at $0 so it was a no brainer to switch. Being on an HSA for so many years allowed me to save money on premiums plus build a nice nest egg with my HSA account that would cover me up to and including my out of pocket max.  My PPO plan now actually has a much higher out of pocket max than I ever had on my HDHP plans but the way the plan is structured it would be unlikely to hit it
    ^^ All of this is excellent information when you're considering an HDHP. For myself and H, we are on my employer's plan and they only offer HDHPs with an HSA contribution. We currently have a $6k/$12k HDHP, pay no premium per paycheck and receive a total yearly HSA contribution from my employer of $3400. It's a no brainer. Even if next year we decide to have kids, I'm still staying on this plan because we have more than enough in our HSA and I like paying no premium out of my paycheck and putting money into my HSA instead.