Wedding Woes

Happy US election day!!

Re: Happy US election day!!

• Employees can take time off to vote in any election for which the employee is qualified and registered to vote, unless the employee's work hours commence at least two hours after the polls open or end at least one hour before the polls close. The employer may determine what hours are available for the employee to vote. - voting law

I'm just ready for the ugliness to end. I don't really care who is president because there are drawbacks to both IMO. I can't vote this year because I don't have an ID that matches my voter registration. I'll get that changed so I can vote for congressional elections in 2 years.

I pissed off a co-worker as soon as he walked in the door. I do all the HR paperwork for our branch and he dropped off his open enrollment packet yesterday and I didn't notice that he requested to add his wife to our plan. I got notice from corporate this morning that we'd need a spousal affidavit. As soon as he walked in the door, I had to tell him that we can't cover his wife because she has health insurance available to her at her place of employment but if that changes we can add her as that's a qualifying life event. This was all in the enrollment packet so I don't feel too bad and I literally just remembered that he warned me he was going to be in a bad mood today anyway because it's the anniversary of his father's death.

I have a lot of work to do today so hopefully the day will fly by. 
    Not to get all political science-y here, but varies significantly by the state.

Many don't have protections for workers to take time off of work. CT, D.C., DE, FL, ID, IN, LA, ME, MI, MS, MT, NJ, NC, OR, PA, SC, RI, VT, and VA all do not have laws requiring employers to give workers time off to vote. 
    This sucks for you guys. In Canada our Election Act guarantees us an hour paid to vote. Most people take off early or come in late. 
    I actually didn't know Americans didn't have same as us!
    Also I didn't know until this year that employers give you the time. In past years I had worked weird hours {*cough*retail*cough*} so I didn't have an issue getting the polls during the time they were open.
  • Not to get all political science-y here, but varies significantly by the state.

Many don't have protections for workers to take time off of work. CT, D.C., DE, FL, ID, IN, LA, ME, MI, MS, MT, NJ, NC, OR, PA, SC, RI, VT, and VA all do not have laws requiring employers to give workers time off to vote. 
    I stand corrected! Thank you! I looked into it a little more and found that in OK, not only do we get time off, it's paid time off to go vote if you give a day's notice and show proof.
  • I feel like this board is teaching me more about American voting system than school ever could :)
  • Heffalump said:

Confession: I found an electoral map with the states and # of votes labeled, but it was all off-center and some of the labels ended up in the wrong places.  I found another one that was perfect but didn't have the states labeled, and I didn't want to spend all morning on it, so I figured I could just label the states myself.

Y'all, I had to go to Google Maps for some of them.  I never remember whether Vermont is on the right and New Hampshire is on the left (no) or vice-versa (yes), and I'm still a little fuzzy on which of the rectangular states out west are which.  #geographyfail   

New Hampshire has coastline on the Atlantic, Vermont does not. (I won the Carmen Sandiego day in 5th grade, and map out way too many trips. :-P Plus, Vermont is one of 3 states east of the Mississippi that I have never visited, so It's got a target on it. (Vermont, Indiana, Wisconsin)

I voted last week and am sick and tired of hearing about the election. DK dropped off Wolverine and said her school had a line when the polls opened (at least 20 or so people outside) - but for some reason our polling location is a different school that's not as close to our house, so he had to drive there. He said our polling location didn't have a line, and he was in and out in like 10 minutes. Apparently people are complaining about lines on Next Door - yeah, no sympathy, given you could have gone anywhere in the county and voted any time in the last ~2 weeks. 

• levioosa said:
    I feel sick to my stomach. I want Hillary to win so badly; she deserves to win. But I can't get over the weird hold that Trump seems to have. Or all of my conservative friends that I used to respect posting about his "morals and family values." I feel like it's literally delusional to think he represents anything positive. How much hate do you have to have within yourself to support him? 

I wish I could say that we'll feel better when Hillary wins, but I bet that Trump will be a super sore loser. It's all just going to be a hot mess.   
    All of this.
  • *Barbie* said:
    New Hampshire has coastline on the Atlantic, Vermont does not. (I won the Carmen Sandiego day in 5th grade, and map out way too many trips. :-P Plus, Vermont is one of 3 states east of the Mississippi that I have never visited, so It's got a target on it. (Vermont, Indiana, Wisconsin)

I voted last week and am sick and tired of hearing about the election. DK dropped off Wolverine and said her school had a line when the polls opened (at least 20 or so people outside) - but for some reason our polling location is a different school that's not as close to our house, so he had to drive there. He said our polling location didn't have a line, and he was in and out in like 10 minutes. Apparently people are complaining about lines on Next Door - yeah, no sympathy, given you could have gone anywhere in the county and voted any time in the last ~2 weeks. 

What I'm hearing in my area is that the poll lines today are relatively short, but the people who went and voted early had hours long waits. One friend waited 3 hours to vote Saturday.
  • Employees can take time off to vote in any election for which the employee is qualified and registered to vote, unless the employee's work hours commence at least two hours after the polls open or end at least one hour before the polls close. The employer may determine what hours are available for the employee to vote. - voting law

I'm just ready for the ugliness to end. I don't really care who is president because there are drawbacks to both IMO. I can't vote this year because I don't have an ID that matches my voter registration. I'll get that changed so I can vote for congressional elections in 2 years.

I pissed off a co-worker as soon as he walked in the door. I do all the HR paperwork for our branch and he dropped off his open enrollment packet yesterday and I didn't notice that he requested to add his wife to our plan. I got notice from corporate this morning that we'd need a spousal affidavit. As soon as he walked in the door, I had to tell him that we can't cover his wife because she has health insurance available to her at her place of employment but if that changes we can add her as that's a qualifying life event. This was all in the enrollment packet so I don't feel too bad and I literally just remembered that he warned me he was going to be in a bad mood today anyway because it's the anniversary of his father's death.

This sucks for you guys. In Canada our Election Act guarantees us an hour paid to vote. Most people take off early or come in late. 

That is awesome!

Count me as someone else who was shocked to just read that workers in all states don't have protections to take time off to vote.

With that said, I think most elections are held on Saturdays.  That is definitely true in my state.  It is only the Presidential election that is on a weirdo Tuesday.  Of course, some people work on Saturdays, but a large % of the population does not.

All of our elections are held on Mondays, so they have to give time to vote. 
  • *Barbie* said:

Yeah, our election day (i.e. non-early voting) polling place is an elementary school, but not Wooz's.  Election Day is a teacher in-service day here, so Wooz is at DC today. 

And yeah, Nosy Coworker was complaining about how it took him 45 minutes to vote this morning, and that's why he was late.  A. Early voting has been available since 10/20--fine if you want to vote on Election Day, but don't act like you had no other options, and B. dude, you're late every day, no one is buying your voting excuse. 

• I feel like this board is teaching me more about American voting system than school ever could :)
    They also get to vote directly for their leader whereas we vote for a party. However, I feel we have more fun with our Parliamentary system. It can get a bit theatrical. We also don't vote for our Senate, although that may be changing soonish. 

• I'm just ready for the ugliness to end. I don't really care who is president because there are drawbacks to both IMO. 

I'm just going to point out that there are 4 names on the ballot for president. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016

I also can't help but comment a bit on the gender thing.  No one should vote for someone just because of their gender.  With that said, no matter one's party or who they are voting for, I think we should all celebrate that a woman is FINALLY a contender as a POTUS.

But let's not break our arms patting ourselves on the back.  Many countries beat us to it.  Some of them, DECADES ago.  Considering all the powerful female politicians and business leaders over our history, it's appalling it has taken this long.

This might be a UO, but for all of the USA's spouting off about freedom and equality, the reality is a different story for many (gender, race, religion, financial status, etc.).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, this is the electoral map I ended up settling on:

https://www.printableworldmap.net/preview/Electoral_College

• *Barbie* said:

I'm just ready for the ugliness to end. I don't really care who is president because there are drawbacks to both IMO. 

I realize that, but the only ones with the ugly voters are in the big 2 parties. If I could vote, I'd vote for Johnson. Unfortunately, neither Johnson nor Stein stands a chance. And there are drawbacks to Johnson as well. Probably to Stein, too, but I'm not as familiar with her as I am Johnson.
    They also get to vote directly for their leader whereas we vote for a party. However, I feel we have more fun with our Parliamentary system. It can get a bit theatrical. We also don't vote for our Senate, although that may be changing soonish. 
    That's one thing I wish Canadian elections would change. I'd like more options.
    I know Trudeau took out the "pass the post" situation so everyone's vote counts! Progress.

Canadian Politics = theatrical
    American Politics = drama

I actually didn't know Americans didn't have same as us!
    Also I didn't know until this year that employers give you the time. In past years I had worked weird hours {*cough*retail*cough*} so I didn't have an issue getting the polls during the time they were open.

In the US, the polls are also typically open long hours.  My polling station is open today from 6AM-8PM.  And, as long as a person is in line by 8PM, they can vote.  However, if a person works far away from where they live, I could see where it could be difficult.  But then, that is what absentee ballots or early voting are for.

On a different topic, but same idea, I was super PO'ed a few years ago.  In my state, cars are required to have brake tags.  Brake tag stations are only open during the day, during the week.  So I'm working in a different parish (county) from where I live and scoot off on my lunch hour to go get a new brake tag.

Oh, but, no.  Apparently Orleans Parish (where I lived) is the ONLY parish in the whole state that requires brake tags for their residents can only be acquired in Orleans Parish.  Which meant, I needed to literally take VACATION time from my job, to go get a f**king brake tag.  Astounding. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Heffalump said:

Confession: I found an electoral map with the states and # of votes labeled, but it was all off-center and some of the labels ended up in the wrong places.  I found another one that was perfect but didn't have the states labeled, and I didn't want to spend all morning on it, so I figured I could just label the states myself.

Y'all, I had to go to Google Maps for some of them.  I never remember whether Vermont is on the right and New Hampshire is on the left (no) or vice-versa (yes), and I'm still a little fuzzy on which of the rectangular states out west are which.  #geographyfail   

Vermont is shaped like a V
    BabyFruit Ticker

• That is awesome!

Count me as someone else who was shocked to just read that workers in all states don't have protections to take time off to vote.

With that said, I think most elections are held on Saturdays.  That is definitely true in my state.  It is only the Presidential election that is on a weirdo Tuesday.  Of course, some people work on Saturdays, but a large % of the population does not.

I've never heard of Saturday elections
  • *Barbie* said:

I'm just ready for the ugliness to end. I don't really care who is president because there are drawbacks to both IMO. 

Not everywhere. I believe Gary Johnson is on all states but then it depends after that. We only had 3 on mine this morning, no Jill Stein. There are also 2 people I've never heard of on some state ballots.
  • kvruns said:

That is awesome!

Oh!  I stand corrected.  They are all on Saturdays in Louisiana, except the Presidential ones.  I think having elections on Saturday is a great idea.  Less traffic, fewer people needing to juggle voting with work hours, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    *Barbie* said:

Not everywhere. I believe Gary Johnson is on all states but then it depends after that. We only had 3 on mine this morning, no Jill Stein. There are also 2 people I've never heard of on some state ballots.
    I think there were 6 or 7 names on ours and then a place for write ins. I hadn't heard of a couple of the people listed.

• kvruns said:
    *Barbie* said:

that's weird. since it's a national office, everyone should have the same choices. 
  • edited November 2016
    *Barbie* said:
    kvruns said:
    *Barbie* said:

that's weird. since it's a national office, everyone should have the same choices. 
    Jill Stein is not on the ballot in NV, OK, SD and not on but can be a write-in in IN, NC, or GA. 

It has to do with state ballot access laws; so in some states there are signature petition requirements for third parties and these are different depending on the state election law. 

ETA: John is on the ballot in all 50 states. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    kvruns said:
    *Barbie* said:

agreed! I think it is weird. I read about it awhile ago but forget now. I think it was something to do with states having different rules on how someone qualifies to be on the ballot, maybe it was signatures or something I don't remember. I think it should be all or nothing everywhere. 
  • kvruns said:

That is awesome!

Oh!  I stand corrected.  They are all on Saturdays in Louisiana, except the Presidential ones.  I think having elections on Saturday is a great idea.  Less traffic, fewer people needing to juggle voting with work hours, etc.
    In Alaska, all elections are on Tuesdays. Including municipal and primaries. 

I think the reason elections are put on a work day is so people can go before or after work or during the day while running errands or on lunch. I think if elections were all on Saturdays, there'd be a lower turnout.