Wedding Woes
Options

Well, that was a real shitshow

Re: Well, that was a real shitshow

• Options

Hmmm. Annoyed by smug democratic voters or sickened by President Trump. I guess I'd rather handle a smug bastard at the office than someone in power who sickens me, but she's happy with her vote so I guess she can't be that bothered. 
    No one thought she'd actually lose democratic strongholds like Michigan and Wisconsin. Even Pennsylvania is a big surprise. These aren't typically swing states. My speculation is that third party voters didn't expect her to lose so they could protest vote and not have to worry about a Trump victory. We won't know until we get all the polling data in but I have a hunch that's part of it. 

This was me. I must be naïve but I never in a million years thought he'd beat her. I voted third party. But, I also live in a basically guaranteed blue state. If I lived in a swing state, I would have been really really torn. I think I would have voted for Hillary to cancel out a Trump vote. Because voting for an actual breathing pile of shit is worse than disagreeing with a few points.

Edited for typo

This. The bolded. All of it. My state is pretty much guaranteed red no matter what. I voted 3rd party as well, not because I was "okay with a Trump presidency", but because I couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump and it wouldn't have mattered if I voted HRC or Johnson. Either way, my vote wouldn't have "counted" because of the stupid electoral college.

So, Canadian Knotties, ready for a bunch of new neighbors?

It's spelled "neighbours" up here. We are so close to the border that we are keeping a look out for any wandering Americans. We'll have carepaks of beer, poutine and wine. 

Thanks!  On my way (ordering more "U" Scrabble tiles from Amazon).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'll start off my post by saying my heart breaks for America. And that you're welcome to come to Canada <3

That being said, the Canadian Immigration website crashed last night :') That was the highlight of my morning.

H and I couldn't even believe it happened when we heard this morning. I crashed early, but before going to bed I told him to stop looking at the websites about who was in the lead. I wanted to be hopeful.

Not much last night. I took a bath last night to try and help calm some tense muscles. H ordered Chinese because we forgot to take anything out, and I just wasn't feeling well. He ordered me soup and the combo plate with chicken balls, chow mein and rice. He said the soup would help my sniffles and the rice should help calm my stomach. {it was still uneasy from night before}

Kept flipping between election stuff and anything else. I kept falling asleep, so I crashed at like 8:30pm lol

Tonight isn't much. Cleaning up the kitchen and finalizing grocery list. H and I have a photo shoot this weekend, so I want to be sure the shirt I want him to wear is clean, so I'll likely get him to toss some laundry in.
  • Options

I can't even begin to put into words how all of this is making me feel.  It wasn't so much Trump winning that upset me, but that the GOP swept everything on the Federal Level and many of the seats here on the State and Local levels too...

Just curious on others' opinions here, but would you (general "you") feel the same if the DNC had swept all of the federal offices? Or is it the fact that it is a republican majority that is the problem? 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

I can't even begin to put into words how all of this is making me feel.  It wasn't so much Trump winning that upset me, but that the GOP swept everything on the Federal Level and many of the seats here on the State and Local levels too...

Just curious on others' opinions here, but would you (general "you") feel the same if the DNC had swept all of the federal offices? Or is it the fact that it is a republican majority that is the problem? 
    The funny part about that is that the Republicans wanted to kick out Trump and started saying "Vote Democratic for President but vote Republican for Senate"
  • Options
    I'm checking myself in to the hospital. No, I'm not being dramatic.
    Take care of yourself OWK {hugs}.

• Options
    drglitter said:
    I kept staring at my TV last night thinking I must have fallen asleep and must be having a bad dream. But nope, it just kept going. Right up to his victory speech (which, I must admit, was not the "Fuck you all, I showed you" speech I was expecting).

That's kind of how I felt at first.  Because it hadn't been called when DH and I went to bed and I woke up and checked, it did feel a little like a dream.  Reading "Donald J. Trump will become next president of the United States" in your notifications wakes you up fast.
  • Options

Definitely going to be working on my usage of the letter "u" when spelling words.

And I'm with Heffa, @TrixieJess. I'll take beer and wine. Thank you :)

• Options
    @OurWildKingdom  Thinking of you <3 please be safe

@Heffalump  my heart breaks for Wooz :(
  • Options
    I'm  purple although leaning red.  I  live in a swing state. I felt voting for a 3rd party wouldn't be right. I voted for Hillary, but honestly I can't stand her.  I just disliked Trump more.  

We went blue.

I'm shocked and a little numb.  That said, I have a feeling I would feel the same if Hillary had won, even though I voted for her.  That is how much I dislike her too.

There are a lot of republicans who do not align with Trump.  I'm hoping a lot of them are in the house and senate to kept us in check.   If not, the next house/senate elections are in 2 years.   Get out there and vote locally.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

For me it's Trump + the sweep. And the open Court seat. We have to trust the Republican controlled Congress to check the President from their own party. That's hard for me no matter what party is in power. 

Had HRC won the Republican Congress wouldn't be such a bad thing. She has a history of working with Republican Senators (co-sponsoring bills, bi-partisan committees, etc.), and really is a centrist. 

This win is about identity politics and that's the scariest part. It's the push back against diversity and openness, and we've seen it in Europe so it shouldn't be surprising it made its way here.
  • Options
    Stocks opened flat vs. plummeting.  That's better than expected.  

(more silver lining, kids)  :) 
  • Options

Definitely going to be working on my usage of the letter "u" when spelling words.

also "grey" is Canadian spelling
    think of it as this way
    grEHy - Canada
    grAy - American
  • Options

also "grey" is Canadian spelling
    think of it as this way
    grEHy - Canada
    grAy - American
    Also:

Couch, chesterfield = Sofa
    Toque = Beanie
    Toboggan = sled

• Options
    Heffalump said:

I feel for you guys. It's such a bitter pill to swallow. All I can say is that there will come a point where you will be less angry, can move forward, and just hope as hard as you can that it will either be all for the best in the end or that it won't be as bad as you fear. For me it really helped to get involved in local activism. I decided I could no longer sit by and watch as we were all dragged to the right. Helps me feel less impotent I guess  :/

This is where I'm trying to be right now.  I'm concerned about the Republican majority in the House and Senate, and the vacancy (and future vacancies) on the Supreme Court.  But DH is encouraging me to be hopeful.  Which is weird, because usually I'm the optimist and he's the pessimist.  #strangetimes

Anyway, @glasgowtolondon, if things get really bad, we can just stay in the UK after my brother's wedding.  DH used to watch a lot of Monty Python and can do a hammy British accent, and he's a ginger, so he'll probably fit right in. 

I was joking with my brother that his immigration process should be a piece of cake now, since he'll obviously qualify for asylum.

Just to follow on from this, I saw a tweet this morning that really resonated with me. For anyone that is worried about what has happened or is concered about the direction their political systems seem to be headed, THIS.

"Here's how to respond to Trump. Do something today to fight for the rights & values he opposes. Then do something tomorrow & the next day"

For me in the UK, that was donating money and also my time to organisations that supported the change I wanted to see, or the rights I didn't want to disappear.
    Made my first donation to Planned Parenthood this morning. I had to do something. 
  • Options
    @TrixieJess, I'm glad the poutine is still up for grabs because I am hungover and hangry!  Bring me potatoes, gravy and cheese curds!

@kvruns thanks to gerrymandering, Dems won't likely have a shot at the house until 2030 (I believe).

Naturally, I'd feel more comfortable personally if it was an all blue legislature because that's where my beliefs lie, but I do believe our government works best when both parties are represented and the House, Senate and Executive Branch are divided.
    Always.
    There was a brief moment of time when the St. Albert cheese factory had a fire, but it's all good and Canada is back to it's normal cheese curd loving life.
  • Options

Hmmm. Annoyed by smug democratic voters or sickened by President Trump. I guess I'd rather handle a smug bastard at the office than someone in power who sickens me, but she's happy with her vote so I guess she can't be that bothered. 
    No one thought she'd actually lose democratic strongholds like Michigan and Wisconsin. Even Pennsylvania is a big surprise. These aren't typically swing states. My speculation is that third party voters didn't expect her to lose so they could protest vote and not have to worry about a Trump victory. We won't know until we get all the polling data in but I have a hunch that's part of it. 
    with all due respect, i'm calling this bullshit - this assumes that the 3rd party voters would have supported Clinton over Trump if only given those 2 options. If you remove their votes from the equation completely, Trump would still win. 
  • Options
    @TrixieJess, I'm glad the poutine is still up for grabs because I am hungover and hangry!  Bring me potatoes, gravy and cheese curds!

@kvruns thanks to gerrymandering, Dems won't likely have a shot at the house until 2030 (I believe).

Naturally, I'd feel more comfortable personally if it was an all blue legislature because that's where my beliefs lie, but I do believe our government works best when both parties are represented and the House, Senate and Executive Branch are divided.
    I think I'm emotionally hung-over, does that mean I get all the potatoes, cheese, and gravy, too? I was saving the champagne for the victory. 
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Also .... learn the anthem.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/canada-anthem-text-lyrics-national-anthem.html

No need for hand over heart while singing it.
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:

with all due respect, i'm calling this bullshit - this assumes that the 3rd party voters would have supported Clinton over Trump if only given those 2 options. If you remove their votes from the equation completely, Trump would still win. 
    Yes, but if their votes would have went to Clinton, she would have won Florida, Arizona and Pennsylvania and today would be a different ballgame.
  • Options

I think I'm emotionally hung-over, does that mean I get all the potatoes, cheese, and gravy, too? I was saving the champagne for the victory. 
    The most common places around to get Poutine is Smoke's. Here's what's on the menu:

http://smokespoutinerie.com/menu/
  • Options
    I'm trying to google what would cause a president-elect to be disqualified from taking oath of office.  So far, I'm not hitting on anything that is clear-cut.  One can dream that someone will find a way to make it happen, right? 
  • Options

The most common places around to get Poutine is Smoke's. Here's what's on the menu:

http://smokespoutinerie.com/menu/
    OR! chip wagon. The fries are super important to be good
  • Options

Yes.
  • Options

Thanks, I think this is what I was trying to say, whether it is more of who is in control or the fact that one party has much more control than the other that bugged people. I also think it is good to have the checks and balances with both parties represented
  • Options
    OH! Something humourous from this morning. H didn't want to go into work, so he says "can I use a sense of global disappointment as an excuse to not go to work?"

I said "no, you're not American. You're feeling empathy."