Wedding Woes
Options

Wednesday!

Re: Wednesday!

• Options
    So my day: my mom is in the hospital with a C. diff infection. I'm here with her. Everyone has to wear gowns and gloves, and they put her in a negative pressure room. It's like Outbreak in here. 

Also, the wildfires in the western part of the state are getting crazy. We're a few hours away and it's still super hazy and smells like a campfire. Our air quality index is on red and Wooz's school sent a note saying they are limiting outdoor time today.
  • Options
    @Heffalump - ZOMG - your poor mom. Hopefully they can find a way to fight it/contain it quickly. I know that is a tough one to treat. 
  • Options
    Oh and things I bake at the holidays- cranberry nut bread is a tradition.  This year I'm doing cinnamon rolls and cranberry vodka.  I use this shortbread with my cookie molds. 

http://www.ehow.com/way_5559134_wilton-cookie-mold-tutorial.html

I also make gingerbread sticks in cookie mold and dip in white chocolate.

These sprinkle cookies with Christmas sprinkles.
    http://www.cookincowgirl.com/2011/10/funfetti-cake-batter-cookies/
  • Options
    @DrillSergeantCat - We just left Geico!  When we switched to them, they didn't need the inspection.  I wonder if its because we signed up for the coverage on our auto loan, they want to make sure the car is fit to match the loan?  IDK.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    So my day: my mom is in the hospital with a C. diff infection. I'm here with her. Everyone has to wear gowns and gloves, and they put her in a negative pressure room. It's like Outbreak in here. 

Also, the wildfires in the western part of the state are getting crazy. We're a few hours away and it's still super hazy and smells like a campfire. Our air quality index is on red and Wooz's school sent a note saying they are limiting outdoor time today.
     Hugs and prayers to you and your family.  

My mom had surgery on her vocal chords today.   It went well, the polyps were benign.      She just can't talk for at least 2 days or until she passed the test.    Which should be interesting, because my mom is a talker.   Loves to talk.  Phone calls are 45 minutes of you just saying "umm, oh, hmm" as she goes on a on.  

She also has an amazing ability to get the worse of something. She has aliments you didn't even know existed.   Or her recover takes 4 times longer than the average person.  Now in her defense she has RA very badly and her meds lower her immune system.  But everything with her is on the extreme.  It will be interesting to see how fast she recovers from this.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @Heffalump  vibes for your mum and your area! Scary on both accounts :\
  • Options
    @Heffalump how scary.  Good and healthy vibes for your mom.
  • Options
    Quick well wishes to Heffa and Lynda's moms!
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

Good thoughts and healthy vibes for your mom, Heffa.

It's soooo hazy here, at work, too.  I can't imagine what the air looks like at our house (50 miles further west, closer to the wildfires).  Saturday, it was so bad, it looked like one of those winter days that's threatening to turn to snow... and the smell was like it was just a few miles away instead of 90.  I actually almost mentioned it in my earlier post, because it's such a freaky thing.  My first experience with wildfires, and I cannot imagine being closer than we are.  It's no longer just something you hear about on the evening news.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    @6fsn  We do groceries bi-weekly on Thursdays and that's same day flyer is released typically. I do shop by the flyer, but sometimes I know ahead of time what we need for basics {ex: ketchup, coffee,etc} then higher priced stuff like meat/produce/etc is flyer based.
  • Options
    @OliveOilsMom it's been too long since I've worked there so I can't remember why we only had certain cars do it. Insurance companies are weird. 
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

It's so close to my old house, worried about a lot of my friends. The pictures are crazy. AtomicBlonde said:
    Heffalump said:

It's soooo hazy here, at work, too.  I can't imagine what the air looks like at our house (50 miles further west, closer to the wildfires).  Saturday, it was so bad, it looked like one of those winter days that's threatening to turn to snow... and the smell was like it was just a few miles away instead of 90.  I actually almost mentioned it in my earlier post, because it's such a freaky thing.  My first experience with wildfires, and I cannot imagine being closer than we are.  It's no longer just something you hear about on the evening news.
    Where is your house now; I used to live in Jackson county. 
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

Yes! When I smelled wood smoke when I got to work this morning , I thought surely it wasn't from the fires, that we were too far away. But my office is toward the airport, and the planes coming in looked really hazy. And then my eyes started burning, and I got the air quality alert from school. I texted DH and he said it's really hazy Uptown, too. Crazy!
  • Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    @charlotte989875, Union County, right on the border.  Everyone is talking about the Party Rock Fire, and I imagine most of what we're getting at the house and alll the way out here where I work in SC is from that one.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    @lyndausvi  here's hoping 2 days go by fast! Can/does she text? I lost my voice and dr advised speaking as little as possible. Texting was easiest.
  • Options
    @lyndausvi  here's hoping 2 days go by fast! Can/does she text? I lost my voice and dr advised speaking as little as possible. Texting was easiest.
    She can text.   According to dad she is still  doped up.  

I live cross country and we are not everyday talkers. I will catch up with her in a few days.    Sad as this might sound, dad is now retired, I think he is happy for the silence.  LOL

Love mom, but she can be a little much at times.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    Heffalump said:

Yes! When I smelled wood smoke when I got to work this morning , I thought surely it wasn't from the fires, that we were too far away. But my office is toward the airport, and the planes coming in looked really hazy. And then my eyes started burning, and I got the air quality alert from school. I texted DH and he said it's really hazy Uptown, too. Crazy!
    Yah, DH works out near the airport, too, he said they can smell smoke inside the building where he works.

--Philip Pullman

• Options
    Healthy vibes and internet hugs for your mom, @Heffalump!

@lyndausvi - hope your mom has a smooth recovery! 

Neither H nor I slept well/much last night. His aunt still not doing well. She hasn't regained consciousness and is still undergoing ice/warming treatments. It's not looking good. My heart is breaking for H.
  • Options
    Healthy vibes and internet hugs for your mom, @Heffalump!

@lyndausvi - hope your mom has a smooth recovery! 

Neither H nor I slept well/much last night. His aunt still not doing well. She hasn't regained consciousness and is still undergoing ice/warming treatments. It's not looking good. My heart is breaking for H.
    Thanks for the well wishes.       I'm sorry about your H's aunt.

• Options
    @charlotte989875, Union County, right on the border.  Everyone is talking about the Party Rock Fire, and I imagine most of what we're getting at the house and alll the way out here where I work in Darlington Co (SC) is from that one.
    Wait...Union County, NC, or SC?
  • Options
    @Heffalump, NC.

--Philip Pullman

• Options
    No way, me too!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    The peace action meeting was awesome yesterday! I think Housemate found a volunteer gig as their social media guru, and I'm trying to decide which committee I should join.

Work was OK. New guy did some work today (with help from me), and a coworker and I managed to pull something off last minute that our boss didn't think we could do.

Tonight I'm going to a therapy group. I originally was planning to go to the art journaling group, but it looks like the music therapy group is meeting instead.

FWP: FW lost her engagement ring yesterday.  :(  She's taking a set design class and took it off to paint the set, then left it in the studio. She has class again tomorrow, but if it doesn't turn up, we'll order another one as soon as we can.
  • Options
    Finally sitting down today to post. I have been cleaning for like 10 hours.  :( The only thing left to clean upstairs is my bathroom and that's just because I want to take a shower tomorrow after my lesson. The kitchen is 90% emptied and cleaned, it had the most in it after the movers left since they couldn't take any food. I have such a hard time throwing out food. That half a box of 9 month old lasagna noodles? Finally pitched them even though I knew 6 months ago I would never use them. Luckily, I have people I will be seeing shortly who also see the value in a half a pound of flour and 3/4 full olive oil (along with our other not opened non perishables) so I can give it to them. MIL and SIL are willing to take the gallon of laundry detergent DH have bought right before he left and all our half used household cleaners. That shit isnt cheap, yo. 
    I have this fear that the open door mission isn't going to take all the stuff I need them to, like DH's desk since it is longers than 4'. 
    But I think I am done for today. Time for a glass of wine and some netflix.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    No way, me too!

--Philip Pullman

• Options
    Hi everyone!  Yesterday I had my second dress fitting - and I'm actually getting excited about my dress!  It looks so much better properly fitted, but I don't think my best friend likes it.  It's a poofier dress than I wanted, so I'm not sure if she actually doesn't like or wants to hear my thoughts first.  Whatevs, I feel good in it - finally!

Now if only those engagement pics could back in.....I'm obsessively checking my gmail!

Hugs @Heffalump, after asking for a break yesterday, I know being in the hospital is the last thing your mental health needed today.

@lyndausvi glad for the good news!  I don't think I could do 2 days without talking either!

@sparklepants41 hopefully she takes a turn soon!

Onto the cooking, we grocery shop together on Sundays or Mondays.  We use a meal planning service called eMeals and love it!  They organize the grocery list for us, and provide us with 7 dinner recipes.  Unless the recipe calls for a crock pot, they rarely take more than 30 minutes start to finish.  They also have options you can choose from; we're on the low calorie meal so everything is under 500 calories. I do all of the cooking, although sometimes he'll help me chop or stir - and he does the dishes.  But I put my foot down on this early.  My sister says I'm too hard on FI but I did not agree to move in with a grown ass man who kept a clean apartment just to become his maid.  He's a teacher, and as such I'll do extra work around the house when he's in his coaching season, but you best believe when it's summer I fully expect to do very little.
    Is emeals expensive? I've thought about doing Blue Apron a few nights a week, but it seems too expensive for what it's worth. And I can shop and chop things, I just like the idea of really easy recipes. 

Also the bolded is exactly how I feel. H cooked and cleaned for himself before we were married, that wasn't changing. I do think my best friend (and my MIL) are surprised at how much work they think I "make" him do**, but we work in the same field with the same hours. Why should I do more housework?

**I don't make him do anything. We settled into this routine when we started living together, I'm the better cook so he does dishes and we clean together on weekend. No one makes the other do anything. As if we could always. 
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    No way, me too!

Image result