Wedding Woes

Tuesday!

Last night I kicked ass. I got my kitchen cleaned and all the laundry folded and put away, including hang up stuff and socks. 

My kids both had amazing days at school. 

DH HAS AN INTERVIEW THURSDAY!!!!

Christmas miracles all around :D 

Re: Tuesday!

• Good luck Mr. Conn!

Working from home for the morning because I have to meet with a student group late tonight. 

H was in a bad mood last night. He was in the running for two jobs at his phone interview last week and he heard back that he's out of the running for the lower of the two. So he's really bummed. He hasn't heard anything about the other, but he's not optimistic. I'm still holding out hope something works or with the other one. 
  • I need to clean, but just am not feeling it.

I wish my H would look for a new job.  He's a sub mailman, and this time of the year is so hard on him.  His health is not good, his diabetic drugs make him dehydrate so easily, the job and the hours/heat in the summer all are just to much for him.

I shopped with a friend last night for a family our women's ministry at church took on from an angel tree. We overspent, but we just wanted the middle school age girl to have clothes that are like the other kids. My friend works at her school so knew the needs were real.  Its sad how little some kids have, made me realize even more how lucky my kids and grandkids really are.  We had a good time doing it, and I think we are making the girl and her mom's Christmas just a little better.
  • Good job vibes for Mr.Conn!  Charlotte, I hope your H is still in the running for the other one!

Last night was productive.  I got home and make some steak sandwiches for dinner.  They were delicious! 

We then relaxed some and then got Betsey ready for her vet appointment.  We were taken right away and after speaking with the vet, he feels the types of proteins in her blood that were elevated typically mean lyme's disease.  So we got a more comprehensive lyme's disease test and will get the results on Wed.  I've never hoped for lyme's disease so much before!  Otherwise, its her kidneys and that means a special lifetime diet and maybe more. 

After the vet, we stopped at the store so I could get more 3M sticky stuff to hang our stocking hooks on the wall.  We then dropped Betsey off home and headed to my parents house to pick up more of my mom's China for my family party on Saturday.

Once back home, H brought in all the China.  I got the remaining dishes washed and then we settled in for the next hour or so prior to bed.

• Woohoo!! That's awesome! Congrats to you and Mr. Conn!

That sucks @charlotte989875. I hope it ends up working out for him!

Not much here today. Just working and heading out on my lunch to brave the crowds and hopefully get some Christmas shopping done. Last night I got all of our Christmas cards addressed and ready to go. I just need to run out and grab some more stamps and they'll be all set. I'm not extremely happy with how they turned out, but if I send them back now they won't get out before Christmas. So I'm just going to suck it up and send them. Nobody will know that they weren't what I wanted :)

• I have zero meetings today, the deadline I'm managing just got pushed out to January 9, and I can't print pdfs but our entire IT department is MIA so I can't get my print drivers reinstalled until whenever it is that IT decides to roll in. 

I just want to go home, listen to Christmas music, wrap presents, and write out our Christmas cards. Maybe I'm pregnant with Buddy the Elf.
  • Job vibes for @mrsconn23 and @charlotte989875 husbands!!

@pegasuskat  I feel you on the lack of motivation for cleaning. My coworker and I were just discussing how be both have cleaning to do and just .... don't want to. Lol

Since we had lots of snow, M ended up leaving work early and just working from home. So I had to bus. Which is a long route, and I finally got batteries and a nightlight! Our Christmas lights are now able to light up :)

Otherwise nothing last night really. Tonight we are going to try to start wrapping stuff and I have to pick up baking things. I have to start this weekend, since we're having my nana over on Sunday and I always make her lemon bars :)

• Yay for a good day in the Conn house!!!

Last night H and I went to the Stones movie. It was good - a documentary kinda thing about their South American tour and show in Cuba. We were the youngest people there by at least half.

Today I gotta talk to work about whether or not they're going to try to screw me out of a week and a half of vacation time and that will decide whether or not I give them the last week in December.

Tonight H and I are meeting my friend - and soon to be coworker! - for dinner and margs to celebrate my new j.o.b.

Have you told them you're leaving yet (I can't remember)? Did they take it well. 
  • mrs.conn, I feel like I should rub your head for good luck!

tawillers said:

I have 3 tall laundry baskets of clean clothes that I have been digging through daily for several days because I cannot make myself fold the damn clothes.  I just need to do it.

^^^ This is me with towels this week.
    pegasuskat said:
    I shopped with a friend last night for a family our women's ministry at church took on from an angel tree. We overspent, but we just wanted the middle school age girl to have clothes that are like the other kids. My friend works at her school so knew the needs were real.  Its sad how little some kids have, made me realize even more how lucky my kids and grandkids really are.  We had a good time doing it, and I think we are making the girl and her mom's Christmas just a little better.
    That is awesome, peg.  I was just reading this yesterday and had the same thought as you re: how lucky my kids are.

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=4&ModuleInstanceID=11&ViewID=047E6BE3-6D87-4130-8424-D8E4E9ED6C2A&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=19768&PageID=1&swCsSocialShare=true
    “My shoes are broken and raggedy,” said another first grader. “I liked the sparkly shoes but I’m getting the pink Converse because now when I’m in the gym, I can run faster.”

Quiet here.  Mammogram on my lunch hour, woo hoo.  Wooz has art tonight, and while she's there, DS and I are going to run to Target to snag teacher gifts.  Merry gift cards to all, and to all a good night.

Yesterday, DS was chasing me around saying he was going to pee on me while laughing uproariously.  Boys!  SMDH.  Snips and snails and puppy dog tails.

• Heffalump said:

tawillers said:

I have 3 tall laundry baskets of clean clothes that I have been digging through daily for several days because I cannot make myself fold the damn clothes.  I just need to do it.

This is us almost every other week of the year.   I am *terrible* at laundry.  I hate it so much.  I should get on a system of doing a load a day, but I've been trying to do that for 5.5 years (since I started WAH) and it's just not happening.  
    Hence the miracle that happened last night.  :D 
  • @charlotte989875  kitty says "you work no more, you're welcome"
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Heffalump said:

tawillers said:

This is us almost every other week of the year.   I am *terrible* at laundry.  I hate it so much.  I should get on a system of doing a load a day, but I've been trying to do that for 5.5 years (since I started WAH) and it's just not happening.  
    This is so me. I detest laundry. Every stage of it. The worst is matching socks. I'd rather buy new ones than have to deal with pairing them up (I don't, but I like to pretend that I would). 

H does his own laundry because I don't do it often enough for him. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Heffalump said:

tawillers said:

This is so me. I detest laundry. Every stage of it. The worst is matching socks. I'd rather buy new ones than have to deal with pairing them up (I don't, but I like to pretend that I would). 

H does his own laundry because I don't do it often enough for him. 
    DH is a sock and t-shirt WHORE.  He won't throw away socks unless they have holes or the elastic is wearing out (and then he saves them in the garage for god-knows-what (he actually used old socks when he put in my french doors for sound-proofing)) and he buys socks like 3-4x a year.  Plus, the kiddo and DefConn have a lot of socks too.  I folded about 75 pairs of socks last night.  

We have a dedicated basket for clean socks.  We fold it when it gets full.  If someone is out of socks before it gets folded, they just have to pick through it. 

I hardly *ever* wear socks.  I pretty much only wear them in the winter and only with certain shoes.  Around the house, I wear Bearpaw boots (UGG knock-offs) and no socks.  I still folded about 10 pairs of socks of mine last night.  

Our sock issue is a family joke because my mom stayed with us a few (7?) years ago when she was working here, but lived in N. Ind.  She thought our socks were out of control then.  It's only gotten worse.  We could put socks on a small village and still have some left over for us. 
  • Everyone here has a gazillion socks except me.  I also only wear them in the winter, but right now I'm down to 3 pair.  I have no idea what happens to them but I really need to go buy some.
  • Best of luck to all the husbands and their job searches!

So many things for me to report!

I barely touched a computer yesterday other than to play Netflix while I wrapped/cleaned/cooked.  We spent the day at work assembling goody baskets we distribute to our clients around this time of year.  The people who used to whine and bitch about having to do it have all left, so it's a lot more fun this year.  We play Christmas carols and chat and (most) people get kind of into it. Not gonna lie--it's a lot of tedious work.  But I think it's fun and festive.

Since I wasn't on yesterday I didn't get to talk about it before, but I had a blast in Boston this past weekend!  I really connected with the city in a strange way.  I love where I live, and I have no plans or desires to move away, but I could absolutely see myself loving a live in Boston if that were to somehow come about.  I have visited and enjoyed a lot of cities, but this is the only time something in me went "hmmmm....this is a place I could call home."  And the look on FI's face when I surprised him by showing up at his hotel was amazing--so worth it!! Plus the flights went great; I have mentioned on here before that I am a phobic flyer not for anything to do with harm coming to the plane but just because I panic at being shut inside there for the duration.  The level of calm I was able to achieve gives me great confidence for my upcoming trans-Atlantic trip.

And another exciting development: FI's wedding ring came!  I have been paying in installments and now I'm done and it's here!  He wanted diamonds, too, and he picked out a really nice baguette eternity ring.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out!  It's at our jeweler now getting appraised/checked for authenticity. The wedding is still 7 months away so it's kind of weird having the ring this early, but it made sense to do it ahead of time for budgetary reasons.
    I'm so happy you love my city!!!!!!!!!
  • tawillers said:
    Everyone here has a gazillion socks except me.  I also only wear them in the winter, but right now I'm down to 3 pair.  I have no idea what happens to them but I really need to go buy some.
    WHAT?  That is crazy to me.  Even when I lived in the islands I had more than that.

I have a decent amount.  We do live in CO after all.  I have workout socks, hiking socks (summer and winter ones), ski socks, dress socks, winter casual socks and summer/light casual socks.   Basically socks for every occasion.

DH also has an obnoxious amount of socks.   Mostly crazy fun socks.  He has 2 entire drawers of them.   He is also a hoarder of t-shirts.   He wears white t-shrits under his chef coat.  He has about 25 of them alone.  We have a washer/dryer and do laundry 1-2 times a week.  Zero need for that many.  Of course, only the ones on top get used.   Yet, he asked for new ones every christmas.  When I don't buy them, he buys them himself.  The 5 pack of course.    He needs help.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Also - good luck to all of the husbands!

And a solidarity salute to the other PPs who have a hard time folding laundry - this is me for the past three weeks and H for the past 38 years.
  • Add me to the list of posters who detest folding laundry!

I actually enjoy sorting and washing the clothes, but for some unknown reason I hate hanging or folding them and putting them away with the fire of a thousand suns.  I'm sure it has something to do with how obnoxious it is to have to carry everything up to flights of stairs from the basement to the bedroom, but still...way disproportionate hatred. 
  • There's a swamp tour operation/restaurant a couple hours away from me that has a cat famous for chasing alligators back into the swamp.  She charges up at them hissing and they slink backwards, back into the water.

Our older cat has been known to run off snakes and deer.  If they were smarter animals, they would never let her get away with it.  A full grown doe could step on her and barely notice. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    I'm the odd one out.  I don't mind folding laundry.   Just finished up a load.   I just say to myself "the thought of folding laundry is way worse than the actual act".  So I just make myself do it right away. Do not let myself think about doing it, just do it. Takes me very little time actually.

DH is laundry-folding challenged.    I fold and leave his to put away.  Which normally means he just stuffs the clothes in any drawer.   Socks in the t-shrit drawer drives me batty.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

• Yay for a good day in the Conn house!!!

Last night H and I went to the Stones movie. It was good - a documentary kinda thing about their South American tour and show in Cuba. We were the youngest people there by at least half.

Today I gotta talk to work about whether or not they're going to try to screw me out of a week and a half of vacation time and that will decide whether or not I give them the last week in December.

Tonight H and I are meeting my friend - and soon to be coworker! - for dinner and margs to celebrate my new j.o.b.

Have you told them you're leaving yet (I can't remember)? Did they take it well. 

Yep - I told them as soon as I knew for sure since it will be difficult to train a replacement for me. It's a father and son and the son is usually the ass and the dad is usually nice but the dad was a dick to me about it and the son was actually really nice. My vacation comes in as a dump every June instead of an accrual so I've earned a week and a half that I don't have right now. If they don't give me that, I'm not giving them the week after xmas.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @charlotte989875  kitty says "you work no more, you're welcome"

I'm not so sure.  Kitty looks like she is on the verge of attack or planning something else malevolent.

Random pet thought.  Domestic dogs and cats work so well in our world, but for different reasons.  That's what I love about both of them.  Dogs appeal to our friendly, social side.  Cats appeal to our strong and independent side.

Most cats don't take s**t from anything.  They rock.  There's a swamp tour operation/restaurant a couple hours away from me that has a cat famous for chasing alligators back into the swamp.  She charges up at them hissing and they slink backwards, back into the water.

And there are so many online videos with cats putting their fellow pets, including huge dogs, in their place.  My cat (Nip) does that.  Our dog (Izzy) isn't huge, but she is twice her size.  Overall, they get along.  But Nip will sometimes casually hiss at Izzy as she is strolling past her.  Just to remind her who is boss.  Sometimes she'll stand guard at the back door or back stairs and not let Izzy come back in, lol.  And Izzy won't mess with her, if Nip is in a mood.

I'm fairly certain when was plotting an attack because I continued to work ;) 

But I agree with all of this, @short+sassy. Charlotte is my cat, she only likes me (she tolerates H bc he feeds her when Im gone but would prefer the house without him), and scares the 50 black lab dog. Charlotte does the same thing, when Charlie walks too close to her and she doesn't like it she'll just swipe her claws at him. Not that hard, but enough to make him back off. And he's the sweetest, biggest baby of a dog that just wants to play with her. She wants none of that. 
  • My Tuesday post is primarily food related.  I had a Monterey frozen breakfast burrito for breakfast.  This was my first time trying one from Monterey, though I'm a big fan of their chicken chimis.  Surprisingly delicious.  Even better than I expected.  It will now be added to my breakfast repertoire choices.

I rarely go out to lunch, but love it when I am able to.  There is a holiday lunch with a group of coworkers today, so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow.  Thankfully, we don't have a "use it or lose it" policy, but I have a lot and want to start using some.  I keep trying to take one on a Friday, but I keep failing because that is my busiest day.  So I changed tactics and am going to take a mid-week day off instead.

I'm going to take next week Monday and Friday off also, even if I have to work late on Thurs. to pull off Fri.  That is, if I even still have a job, lol.  Sadly, a very real potential.

Wedding Countdown Ticker