Wedding Etiquette Forum

SO question

Long story short, my step-cousin's boyfriend is a known drug dealer. I'm not talking maybe just some weed, he deals the hard stuff. Pleeeeease tell me this is somebody that I can exempt from the SO etiquette rule?

My youngest brother has substance abuse problems to put it lightly and I guess you could say we're currently in the midst of him hitting rock-bottom and forcing him to rehab. I've budgeted for everybody that is single right now to have an SO included, so it's not budgetary or me trying to keep the numbers down. The thought of having her boyfriend there just makes me extremely uncomfortable and worried for my brother and his struggles and ideally sobriety if we get to that point. 

I would really appreciate some guidance. They weren't publicly together when I sent invites out (I wasn't aware she was dating anyone and we're not close), so I don't even know if she'll actually come or if she'll ask if he can come, but I would just really like to be prepared. Or maybe you guys can put me in my place and smarten me up. 

Aaand it ended up being a long story... sorry!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: SO question

• drid said:
    Long story short, my step-cousin's boyfriend is a known drug dealer. I'm not talking maybe just some weed, he deals the hard stuff. Pleeeeease tell me this is somebody that I can exempt from the SO etiquette rule?

My youngest brother has substance abuse problems to put it lightly and I guess you could say we're currently in the midst of him hitting rock-bottom and forcing him to rehab. I've budgeted for everybody that is single right now to have an SO included, so it's not budgetary or me trying to keep the numbers down. The thought of having her boyfriend there just makes me extremely uncomfortable and worried for my brother and his struggles and ideally sobriety if we get to that point. 

I would really appreciate some guidance. They weren't publicly together when I sent invites out (I wasn't aware she was dating anyone and we're not close), so I don't even know if she'll actually come or if she'll ask if he can come, but I would just really like to be prepared. Or maybe you guys can put me in my place and smarten me up. 

So this has multiple factors 

1.) it's on the person coordinating the invites to figure out in someone has a SO, so not 'publicly together' isn't a thing. 

2.) how do you know he is a drug dealer? 

3.) do you really think this guy is going to sell drugs at your wedding? 

4.) regardless of the cousin, maybe your brother needs could bring a sponsor/ sobriety coach to your wedding. Someone he can lean on, who understands the picture, and help him control himself. This should be someone he trusts (and who isn't a regular guest) that knows his treatment plans. 
  • I'm also curious how you know he's a "known drug dealer". It sounds like they haven't been together very long. 
  • drid said:

1.) it's on the person coordinating the invites to figure out in someone has a SO, so not 'publicly together' isn't a thing. 

4.) regardless of the cousin, maybe your brother needs could bring a sponsor/ sobriety coach to your wedding. Someone he can lean on, who understands the picture, and help him control himself. This should be someone he trusts (and who isn't a regular guest) that knows his treatment plans. 
    1) These days, "not publicly together" is a thing. Lots of people consider themselves single, while just "hanging out" with somebody and having a sexual relationship. I did make sure to ask my Aunt (her Mom) and my Step-Mom if she was seeing anybody. 

2) We're from a pretty small town, everybody knows who the drug dealers are - and he's got prior distribution arrests. 

3) Don't know, and I'd rather not chance it if I don't have to.

4) Appreciate this, thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • drid said:
    drid said:

1) These days, "not publicly together" is a thing. Lots of people consider themselves single, while just "hanging out" with somebody and having a sexual relationship. I did make sure to ask my Aunt (her Mom) and my Step-Mom if she was seeing anybody. 

2) We're from a pretty small town, everybody knows who the drug dealers are - and he's got prior distribution arrests. 

Someone having prior arrests for distribution is not a reason to not invite them. I also highly doubt this person is planning on selling drugs at your wedding. 
  • drid said:
    drid said:

Someone having prior arrests for distribution is not a reason to not invite them. I also highly doubt this person is planning on selling drugs at your wedding. 
    Mentioning the prior arrests was in regards to the "how do you know he's a dealer" question. I don't care that he's been arrested, I care that he's a drug dealer. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You have to invite him. On the very very slim chance he does try and sell drugs at your wedding it will only look bad on him, not you. 

• lnixon8 said:
    You have to invite him. On the very very slim chance he does try and sell drugs at your wedding it will only look bad on him, not you. 
    Yeah, I figured... I was hoping there would be a way around it, but I'll extend the invitation. I don't want to be the asshole in the situation.

At the end of the day, my little bro is a grown-up, so I guess it's up to him to manage his shit - and not my problem to be worrying about. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for that @MairePoppy! I really appreciate the kind words!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    I know how difficult it is for family members to watch a loved one struggle with addiction. I hope your brother reaches his bottom soon and starts recovery. Of course, you can't protect him from himself, but I understand that you don't want to expose him to unnecessary and known temptation.

I'll support you not inviting your step-cousin's drug dealing boyfriend. There are consequences for the life style he, and your cousin, have chosen and one of them is that he may not be welcome at family or social events. If he had a history of theft, many of us would say that's good enough reason not to put your other guests at risk. I'm not even going to pretend to find an etiquette loophole. Sometimes, you just have to trust your gut. I hope if cousin asks, you will be honest with her.

Yes, but don't we often say that the consequence for dating someone who isn't great is that you don't get invited either? I think she's well within her rights not to invite him, as long as she also doesn't invite the cousin. Then if cousin asks, she can say that.

ETA: I guess if cousin isn't really acknowledging him as a BF, just OP happens to know they're dating, the option is there to invite one and not the other, although cousin may still have questions.
  • Stuck in a box.

Yeah, I guess technically it's against etiquette but count me as one who would be ignoring etiquette on this one. I doubt this guy will actively be dealing drugs at your wedding, but I think criminal activity is a valid reason to not want someone in your life. Anyone who side-eyes you prioritizing disassociating yourself with someone like that over following the letter of etiquette rules perfectly is someone who is a little too wrapped up in their own etiquette self-righteousness lol, and I wouldn't be bothered by incurring their judgment in your shoes. Since you aren't close to your cousin I might just skip inviting her in general, but I also think it's understandable not to want to cut her off from her family in a situation like this.
  • I'm on the "don't invite him" side. Not having someone who could potentially sell drugs (do people really think that just because it's the wedding of someone he isn't close to, he would cease all shady activity?) and/or make it more difficult for my own brother to be present and healthy at my wedding would 100% trump etiquette. 
  • drid said:
    drid said:

I meant, it is on you as the invitation coordinator to check if someone has an SO.  Yes, you did ask her mom, but if you aren't sure, maybe ask them directly. I know lots of couples that in the early days considered themselves in a relationship, but don't have it on facebook or haven't told their parents yet- so maybe not 'public' in your book. But just because they haven't made a couple announcement doesn't mean that it isn't valid. Mistakes happen, of course, but just because you weren't aware of it doesn't mean you can use this as an excuse that their relationship didn't exist. 

But that being said, if you are intent on not having this person there, and you don't care about the relationship with the cousin, you can say no to having this person there. Its not technically ettiquite ok and just because you can doesn't mean you should. But it seems like you would have not invited the step cousin had you known about this guy. 

This step cousin hasn't asked, and if you have already sent out invites, I assume your wedding is really soon- I doubt it will come up. I wouldn't stress about this situation and would just let sleeping dogs lie. 
  • scribe95 said:
    Honestly, I think criminal activity trumps etiquette on this one. I would not invite him. I'm a little surprised so many people think it's a must.
    I agree. If he's invited and he deals drugs at the wedding, you could get the venue owners into trouble -- and that could backfire on you.

But if you have to invite him, get security and notify them that this guy is potential trouble.
  • Drug dealers are usually not into calling attention to themselves, especially to strangers at a wedding. Do you really think he's just going to start approaching people asking if they want drugs? This doesn't happen - we're not living in an after school special in 1987. 
    That's not necessarily true. He might feel a party atmosphere such as a wedding would be the perfect opportunity to solicit customers. Or he might come eat, dance and leave.  I wouldn't take the chance and wouldn't invite him. 
  • Is not inviting the step-cousin not really a possibility? If they are together (however they define that) they should be invited together. However, as @flantastic said above, choosing to be in a relationship with drug dealers may get you uninvited from events you otherwise would be welcome to attend. Choices have consequences. 

That being said, if they don't actually consider themselves together, its fine to leave him off the invite. Many people have relationships with other people but don't actually consider themselves to be in a relationship with that person. 

On the venue/security/legal concerns? I think some of this is getting blow a little out of proportion. Do you really think someone who has been dealing drugs for years is just going to up and try to attract customers at a family wedding? That's not how any of this works. 

• On the venue/security/legal concerns? I think some of this is getting blow a little out of proportion. Do you really think someone who has been dealing drugs for years is just going to up and try to attract customers at a family wedding? That's not how any of this works. 
    I'm giggling a bit at this, because, yeah. Someone could. DH's crowd of friends has this infamous story from when they were at a destination wedding in Jamaica. The bellhop was the "Anything Man." Because he told everyone, "If you need anything-- an-y-thing, you call me. Who do you call if you need an-y-thing? Me."
    Guess what "an-y-thing" meant and yeah, one guy did take him up on the offer to find him "an-y-thing."

• I'm in camp no BF.  I'm sorry but I wouldn't want someone who has been known to deal drugs around my Brother if he was in the process of dealing with a drug addiction problem.  While I doubt the guy would go in there with a neon sign around his neck flashing "I sell drugs", I wouldn't want the added stress of "what ifs" if this BF did decide to solicit people (or use) during the reception.

• On the venue/security/legal concerns? I think some of this is getting blow a little out of proportion. Do you really think someone who has been dealing drugs for years is just going to up and try to attract customers at a family wedding? That's not how any of this works. 
    I'm giggling a bit at this, because, yeah. Someone could. DH's crowd of friends has this infamous story from when they were at a destination wedding in Jamaica. The bellhop was the "Anything Man." Because he told everyone, "If you need anything-- an-y-thing, you call me. Who do you call if you need an-y-thing? Me."
    Guess what "an-y-thing" meant and yeah, one guy did take him up on the offer to find him "an-y-thing."

Ok, that is not even close to the same situation at all. A bellhop at a resort, and a boyfriend of a wedding guest? Please. 
    Sigh. My point, besides telling a story that I find funny about being offered drugs, is that people might deal drugs at a wedding. If OP doesn't want a drug dealer at her wedding I think she can take the etiquette bullet and not invite him.

Excuuuse me for never buying illegal drugs and thus not knowing how one goes about getting illegal drugs. Fuck, I'm in Chicago and could probably go to a few choice neighborhoods and figure it out, but I don't. I feel like there's an undercurrent here on this thread of those of us who know drug dealers and those who don't, and maybe that's bleeding into a general etiquette discussion.

• I'm in camp no BF.  I'm sorry but I wouldn't want someone who has been known to deal drugs around my Brother if he was in the process of dealing with a drug addiction problem.  While I doubt the guy would go in there with a neon sign around his neck flashing "I sell drugs", I wouldn't want the added stress of "what ifs" if this BF did decide to solicit people (or use) during the reception.

Not only that, but the OP describes the area as a small town.  Maybe step-cousin's b/f is on his best behavior, and it's the OP's brother who seeks HIM out.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience or knowledge about addicts, but the brother just seeing someone he knows he can get a fix from (either at that moment or in the future) might be enough temptation to go make a contact.

Wedding Countdown Ticker