Wedding Woes
Options

TGIW

HeffalumpHeffalump member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited January 2017 in Wedding Woes
We're halfway to the weekend (more or less).

I have been feeling sort of meh this week, IDK why exactly.  I think I need a vacation, but between my mom and the UK trip, my PTO is already spoken for.  DH and I have talked about getting off this hamster wheel, but easier said than done some days. 

I have run out of things to watch at the gym.  Suggestions?  I flirted with both Peaky Blinders and Sherlock, but haven't gotten much traction with either one.  Open to any and all suggestions, except for Trailer Park Boyz, which DH thinks is hilarious and I just can't.

And s/o UK, taking suggestions of places to visit.  I have been reading my travel guide, and the drinking from a fire hose cliché applies here.  Flying into London, wedding is in Norfolk, so we plan to divide our time between the two--probably more in London, because London.  DH already knows he wants to see the Tower of London.  I would like to see Westminster Abbey.  Looking at the transportation museum, because it looks like it's right up DS's street (to borrow a phrase from my FSIL).  I would love to do a boat tour on the Thames at some point.

There is obviously way more to do than we can possibly cram into a week (esp. with the wedding), and I doubt that any combination of things we chose would be a bad use of our time.  By the time we go, Wooz will have just turned 8 and DS will be almost 4, plus I don't know what kind of shape my mom will be in that point.  It will be high season, so bonus points for anything cool that may be a little off the beaten path or not as huge of a tourist draw.   

ETA: I have only been to the UK, once, on business, so I was working pretty much the whole time.  My only sightseeing was a free afternoon when I took the train out to Windsor Castle, so I probably wouldn't do that again.

Re: TGIW

• Options
    What about podcasts for the gym?  I haven't watched much on Netflix lately besides some true crime documentaries and stand-up. 

DH found out late last night that his former co-worker's daughter died (she was only 30), so he's taking the kiddo in for a doctor's appt this afternoon and heading to the wake.  His co-worker showed up for MIL's funeral and is just an all-around nice and decent guy.  The last time we saw him was on our flight from DFW to here when we were on our way home from Hawaii.   My heart hurts for him.  :( 

Luckily we're having beef stew for dinner, so DefConn and I can eat when we're ready.  Also, I signed up for 'mom's night out' next week through the PTO to do wood painting. I hope I can meet a cool mom or two.  I need local friends.

And I found my childhood best friend on FB.  I haven't talked to her since around the time I got married.  I got all weird and nervous about sending her a friend request, but she accepted it and we chatted a bit.  It's nice to have that connection again.  I have fond memories of her and her family. 

Work is kicking my ass.  We are so busy and people are exhausting. 
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2017
    mrsconn23 said:
    What about podcasts for the gym?  I haven't watched much on Netflix lately besides some true crime documentaries and stand-up. 

DH found out late last night that his former co-worker's daughter died (she was only 30), so he's taking the kiddo in for a doctor's appt this afternoon and heading to the wake.  His co-worker showed up for MIL's funeral and is just an all-around nice and decent guy.  The last time we saw him was on our flight from DFW to here when we were on our way home from Hawaii.   My heart hurts for him.  :( 

Luckily we're having beef stew for dinner, so DefConn and I can eat when we're ready.  Also, I signed up for 'mom's night out' next week through the PTO to do wood painting. I hope I can meet a cool mom or two.  I need local friends.

And I found my childhood best friend on FB.  I haven't talked to her since around the time I got married.  I got all weird and nervous about sending her a friend request, but she accepted it and we chatted a bit.  It's nice to have that connection again.  I have fond memories of her and her family. 

I am more of a podcasts in the car, video in the gym kind of girl.  Podcasts aren't enough stimulation to distract me from my workout, and the only thing that gets me through is forgetting that that's what I'm doing, LOL.  But I will take podcast suggestions--maybe I just haven't found the right one for the gym yet.  (Or maybe I'll find another good one for my commute.)

I'm sorry about mrconn's former CW's daughter.  :(

I made Italian beef stew in the crockpot last night, and DH and I loved it while the kids wouldn't touch it.  I got DS to eat a couple of cannellini beans, and that was about it.  They mostly subsisted on garlic bread.  WTH?  DS has been a little picky since birth, but Wooz used to eat almost anything. 
  • Options
    Today is the #BellLetsTalk day, so every social media is blowing up about it.

It was started by Clara Hughes {Canadian & Olympian} who went through serious mental illness issues, and wants to end the stigma about it all and start the conversation.
    A lot of people who have it, end up posting things about their own issues so others don't feel alone. It's so easy to feel like you're the only one suffering even though you know you aren't.

On the personal front, absolutely nothing. M's laptop came in so I basically lost him all night lmao

I've been having a rough time falling asleep lately, but I figured out something that helps calm my brain down enough to fall asleep. I have a diffuser, and I always put it on when I'm going to bed while reading, but I've started leaving it on as I'm lying there. Seems to work. I use lavender, peppermint and rosemary, which I heard from Pinterest and seems to work so far.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2017
    Heffalump said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I am more of a podcasts in the car, video in the gym kind of girl.  Podcasts aren't enough stimulation to distract me from my workout, and the only thing that gets me through is forgetting that that's what I'm doing, LOL.  But I will take podcast suggestions--maybe I just haven't found the right one for the gym yet.  (Or maybe I'll find another good one for my commute.)

I'm sorry about mrconn's former CW's daughter.  :(

I made Italian beef stew in the crockpot last night, and DH and I loved it while the kids wouldn't touch it.  I got DS to eat a couple of cannellini beans, and that was about it.  They mostly subsisted on garlic bread.  WTH?  DS has been a little picky since birth, but Wooz used to eat almost anything. 
    DefConn usually picks at beef stew.  I pretty much put 4-5 pieces of meat, a potato or two, and a few veggies in his bowl.  I try to limit the broth and give him a roll.   It's hit or miss whether or not he'll finish, because he's not a soup/stew fan.  However, he eats the crap out of roast and potatoes/carrots/etc. and it's basically the same thing.  So whatever, weird child. 

Podcasts:

Non-true crime:  Nerdist, Death, Sex, and Money, Cracked.com's podcast, bitch sesh (which is about real housewives)

True crime: My Favorite Murder (I'm seeing them front row/VIP in April), True Crime Garage, Sword and Scale, Last Podcast on the Left, Undisclosed, White Wine, True Crime, Thinking Sideways 
  • Options
    I'm exhausted again today. I have an OB appt in a couple hours and I told H that I think she'll do a membrane sweep. I then explained what that is to him and said, "It doesn't break my water, just helps progress things." He said, "I know you're uncomfortable, but do we want to progress things?" I could have stabbed him. I'm still pissed this morning. It doesn't help that I'm in a good amount of pain today.

One of the first things I saw this morning was the Texas legislator who's trying to pass a bill (which is unconstitutional) which would make getting or providing an abortion a felony. I think it would be considered murder. He said he feels that is the only way to get women to be "more responsible for sex." Rrriiiggghhhttt....because if a woman gets pregnant it's not her responsibility to carry it for 9 months, push it out of her body, and then care for it for a minimum (hopefully) of 18 years. FUCK that guy. OH there is no exception for rape or fetal abnormalities. Seriously...fuck that guy.

Do y'all remember me telling you about my friend whose husband who hasn't been interested in sex for the last couple years suddenly wants to get his testosterone checked? Yeah...he told her this week that he's divorcing her. Then, she lost her job yesterday along with 4 other people. The weird thing is the company wouldn't tell her why or even say they were downsizing and she just got promoted a few weeks ago. It makes me wonder what was going on with those 5. She's not the most reliable employee.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

@Heffalump I recommend New Girl. It's on Netflix and there are tons of episodes. It's really funny but also has an actual good storyline. I'm sure I can think of more suggestions too.

@DrillSergeantCat OMG! I feel so horrible for your friend. How terrible :( what a shitty situation.

Morning! I'm feeling great today. This morning I put on some legging/pant things that were almost too small for me a couple of weeks ago and now they fit perfectly. I'm stoked. I have only lost 3 lbs, but I feel waaaay smaller. DH says that's normal since I'm doing a lot of weight/resistance based exercises. Whatever, I'm happy with the results either way.

Other than that, not much here. I'm going to get my hair done after work.

Random: We have a guy running for Mayor whose name is David Crockett. Lol. I kinda want to vote for him just because. (edit: I wouldn't actually vote for someone just based on their name)

OH! Update on yesterday's meeting: not much happened. It ended up being more of a sales meeting geared towards Loan Officers. I don't know why we were all required to go. When ex-mistress was presented with the award, the presenter said "she's always been willing to do anything she was asked to do". Lol. That's for sure. I will say, though, I'm 99.99% sure that boss man and ex-mistress are back on again. Coworkers who were here during the first affair say they're acting just like they did the first time. The innuendos are out of control. And it's like they think we're all stupid and can't figure out what their "inside jokes" mean. Lol. I just can't with them.

• Options

Whoa, Wednesday.  I feel like I can't keep up with what day it is lately with all that has been going on.

Services for my Grandma were last weekend and everything was nice.  A lot of people came, there was minimal family drama from our out-of-state family, and she looked so great.

Monday I worked as a sub.  I actually had two calls that day!

I'm tying up some year-end stuff and then 2016 will be over for me in bookkeeping world.

I'm scheduled to sub tomorrow and Friday. 

Conn - re: Netflix and standup, have you watched the Neal Brennan standup?  He co-wrote with Dave Chappelle.  Anyway, it was good.  The setup is a bit different from a regular standup show but it was interesting.

• Options
    tawillers said:

Conn - re: Netflix and standup, have you watched the Neal Brennan standup?  He co-wrote with Dave Chappelle.  Anyway, it was good.  The setup is a bit different from a regular standup show but it was interesting.

YES!  And I loved it! 
  • Options
    @CharmedPam The Evil Within is a good scary game.
  • Options
    @thefanciestbeckler  your work is crazy :) like a soap-opera/mellow drama! Never a dull moment lol
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    tawillers said:

YES!  And I loved it! 
    We did too.  DH gave me a huge side-eye for crying at the end (dad & the will) but in my defense, I just got my period so anything will make me tear up.
  • Options
    tawillerstawillers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2017

I also caved yesterday and bought an xbox one for DH for his birthday (2 weeks away). I've been reluctant to have one in the house because he's a big big gamer and it might take over him but I know he wants one.  Plus, I want to be the cool wife who plays some games with him and make it an activity we both can do.  Right now, I'm not much into games, but maybe i haven't found the right one?  I love scary/horror.  Is there a walk through a haunted house "game"? LOL

We liked Until Dawn and Dying Light, though they aren't multiplayer (I don't think The Evil Within is either, but it's a good one.)

Usually DH just plays and I watch.  I'm good at puzzles so I do those.

What we liked about Until Dawn is that it's a choose your own story kind of game.  You can replay it with different actions and get different endings.  It really is like building your own horror movie.

ETA:  Resident Evil 5 is my favorite game of all time but I love all of them.  And if you can get any of the Silent Hills on XB1, they are also good.

Edited again:  I see that Until Dawn is only on PS4, not XB1.

• Options
    @mrsconn23 - I couldn't get through a single episode of Death, Sex and Money.  I tired a number of different episodes and it just didn't happen.  I haven't heard a few of your true crime recommendations, so thanks for those!

My recs:

Non-True Crime: This American Life (of course); Reveal (I LOVE this one.  It's an investigative reporting podcast); 99% Invisible (architecture and related topics); and Call Your Girlfriend (two feminist friends call each other and chat).

My True Crime rec: Criminal.  If you haven't listened to that one, you have to!  It is so good.  The stories aren't traditional "crime" stories.  For example, one story is about a guy in SF who put a Buddha in the median in front of his house to stop people from illegally dumping there.  What happens after that is really interesting.  Or another story about an older female attorney in the deep south who tries to visit a prisoner and is turned away because she is not wearing a bra.  She has to go borrow one from a USPS worker a few miles away.

• Options
    So I need to vent. I hate when someone sends me an email, tells me to do a bunch of stuff, asks if I have any questions, and why I reply with said questions almost immediately, no response. It drives me bananas. 

I'm trying to get a project off the group that needs approval by the college. It is great for them, great for me, but the woman who authorizes expenditures is TERRIBLE at following up. I have to email her three times to get things answered, and we're on a deadline! 

Okay, rant over. I know people are busy, but seriously, my question is not that hard. 
  • Options
    Ro041 said:
    @mrsconn23 - I couldn't get through a single episode of Death, Sex and Money.  I tired a number of different episodes and it just didn't happen.  I haven't heard a few of your true crime recommendations, so thanks for those!

My True Crime rec: Criminal.  If you haven't listened to that one, you have to!  It is so good.  The stories aren't traditional "crime" stories.  For example, one story is about a guy in SF who put a Buddha in the median in front of his house to stop people from illegally dumping there.  What happens after that is really interesting.  Or another story about an older female attorney in the deep south who tries to visit a prisoner and is turned away because she is not wearing a bra.  She has to go borrow one from a USPS worker a few miles away.
    RE: Death, Sex, and Money...Is it Anna Sale?  I like her voice, but I can see how it can annoy people. 

I knew I was forgetting one!  I LOVE Criminal.  Very captivating.  The most recent episode is really excellent.  
  • Options
    So I need to vent. I hate when someone sends me an email, tells me to do a bunch of stuff, asks if I have any questions, and why I reply with said questions almost immediately, no response. It drives me bananas. 

I'm trying to get a project off the group that needs approval by the college. It is great for them, great for me, but the woman who authorizes expenditures is TERRIBLE at following up. I have to email her three times to get things answered, and we're on a deadline! 

Okay, rant over. I know people are busy, but seriously, my question is not that hard. 
    is there any way to call her? I would be following up with a phone call
  • Options
    tawillers said:

What we liked about Until Dawn is that it's a choose your own story kind of game.  You can replay it with different actions and get different endings.  It really is like building your own horror movie.

ETA:  Resident Evil 5 is my favorite game of all time but I love all of them.  And if you can get any of the Silent Hills on XB1, they are also good.

Edited again:  I see that Until Dawn is only on PS4, not XB1.

dammit! that one looked cool too.  Thanks for the recommendations! 

• Options
    I'm exhausted again today. I have an OB appt in a couple hours and I told H that I think she'll do a membrane sweep. I then explained what that is to him and said, "It doesn't break my water, just helps progress things." He said, "I know you're uncomfortable, but do we want to progress things?" I could have stabbed him. I'm still pissed this morning. It doesn't help that I'm in a good amount of pain today.

One of the first things I saw this morning was the Texas legislator who's trying to pass a bill (which is unconstitutional) which would make getting or providing an abortion a felony. I think it would be considered murder. He said he feels that is the only way to get women to be "more responsible for sex." Rrriiiggghhhttt....because if a woman gets pregnant it's not her responsibility to carry it for 9 months, push it out of her body, and then care for it for a minimum (hopefully) of 18 years. FUCK that guy. OH there is no exception for rape or fetal abnormalities. Seriously...fuck that guy.

Do y'all remember me telling you about my friend whose husband who hasn't been interested in sex for the last couple years suddenly wants to get his testosterone checked? Yeah...he told her this week that he's divorcing her. Then, she lost her job yesterday along with 4 other people. The weird thing is the company wouldn't tell her why or even say they were downsizing and she just got promoted a few weeks ago. It makes me wonder what was going on with those 5. She's not the most reliable employee.

Don't be silly, @DrillSergeantCat.  A true rape victim can't get pregnant from rape.  Because a bunch of Republican politicians told us so.  And we all know those old, rich guys are super knowledgeable about womens' medical issues, so it must be true.  No exception for 12-year-old little girls raped and impregnated by a family member, either.  That will teach them not to be so "alluring and come hither".  (Not painting all Rep. politicians with the same brush, but the ones I heard making those claims a few years ago were all indeed "old, rich men").

No offense to any Texans on here, but that state is always the WORST for abortion rights.  Unfortunately, my own Louisiana is right there with them.  I will stop myself before I really go full rant.

I'm sorry about your friend!  Talk about a 1-2 punch.

Crossing my fingers for you on progressing things.  I'm sorry you've been in so much pain and so uncomfortable for the last few days.  Ugh!

I had something odd happen yesterday at work.  I've worked here for 3 1/2 years.  There is a guy who works on my floor.  But, other than hi/bye in the break room, we don't really know or talk to each other.  We also don't work together at all.  He seems nice, but there's just something "off" about him.  At any rate, he comes into my office yesterday afternoon.  Apparently just to say hi.  Ummm...okay.  And stays to have a conversation about how he wishes work would pick up and then tells me about other projects he's worked on for this company.  Especially the comment about wanting work to pick up, I feel like maybe he was just wandering the floor out of boredom and decided to pop in.  It's just so weird because he's never done that before and we've really never had a conversation before.  I'm not concerned in any way, nothing like that, but it was just one of those "huh" moments.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ro041 said:

My recs:

Non-True Crime: This American Life (of course); Reveal (I LOVE this one.  It's an investigative reporting podcast); 99% Invisible (architecture and related topics); and Call Your Girlfriend (two feminist friends call each other and chat).

I love TAL and Criminal.  (That Buddha episode was the best!)  I will check out the others, since it looks like we have the same taste in podcasts.  I have heard great things about 99% Invisible.
  • Options
    I'm in some sort of funk.  I'm not sure what it is or where it's coming from.  I think it's partly just natural "your brain doesn't work right" chemistry and then personal stuff.  

I'm in a weird place with my activism and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it.  There are some things I'm really Really REALLY freaking tired of and my usual methods of dealing with it aren't working for me.  Yesterday I didn't even want to think about my Pride meeting tonight.  But I forced myself to meet with my co-chair, who I adore and got somewhat re-energized by that. 

I'm also having to refocus professionally.  This job is somewhat high pressure/stress and there's a lot of "throw you into the fire".  Which I can be okay at, but if it's "throw into fire, here's the extinguisher" vs. "throw into the fire and look for extinguisher".  I don't like doing things wrong and being corrected; I like being told what to do and doing it right.  So, i'm struggling a bit.

Finally, I am performing in drag (king) for K.  I'm doing it b/c I can pull a bunch of people for her benefit (we're using my activism connections) that wouldn't usually come to a show at all.  There are far too many performers wanting to tape my breasts down.  I flat out told them I'd just flash them my boobs rather than get taped down.  But, I'm going to do Dance Magic from Labyrinth and Imagine Dragons Radioactive, choreographed.  Maybe, i'm still not sure on 2nd choice.  But I'm not super excited about this; her drag it taking up too much of my time lately since she entered the competitive level and I'm not sure how to start separating it out or if I even can.  Plus, I know once March is over, a lot of this will die down, so I'm trying to just hold it all together, basically.
  • Options
    The "Reply All" button should DIAF
  • Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    @mrsconn23 - I don't think it's her voice.  I tried to get through an episode hosted by a comedian (I forget who) and I couldn't do it.  It's a bummer because I really wanted to like it!

@Heffalump - do you have any recommendations since we like the same types of podcasts?  Re: the Buddha episode.  I listened to it and then made FI listen to it because he used to live in Oakland.  He said he used to run by the statue regularly but had no idea why it was there!

Edit: Words

• Options
    Ro041 said:
    @mrsconn23 - I don't think it's her voice.  I tried to get through an episode hosted by a comedian (I forget who) and I couldn't do it.  It's a bummer because I really wanted to like it!

That sucks.  I didn't love most of the eps that were guest hosted when she was on maternity leave.  
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 - maybe that was it!  I will go back and give it another shot (and report back).

• Options
    I have already drank 32 ounces of water today, so I feel like I am off to a good start.  

I work at home today, so all the dogs are fast asleep and they are in heaven.  Foster Dog still has really bad separation anxiety when I leave and he has started climbing into the windows to be able to see me if I go into the front yard without him.  Sigh.

I have a HIIT class this evening and I am really looking forward to it.  It's strange because I have never been a "gym" person.  But this barre studio I found in my neighborhood is awesome.  They offer everything (barre, HIIT, circuits, yoga, boxing, tap, and pilates) so it has been my jam.  

• Options
    @Heffalump, the major museums are all free in London.  I love the National Gallery, the Natural History Museum, the British Museum, and the Victoria and Albert Museum. If you want a beautiful place to go on a walk, Hampstead Heath is really nice.  Not a lot to see from a kid's perspective, but I liked to go there. The Globe, of course, is great too, but you'll be standing for multiple hours unless you buy the expensive tickets. 

I also cannot with Trailer Park Boyz.  I don't get it.  And I typically like off the wall humor.

Today is starting off a little challenging.  Kitty got her second vaccine yesterday and she is in so much pain.  She won't eat or drink, she screams when you go near her shoulder, and she's been hiding under the bed and hasn't moved in the past 10 hours.  I called the vet and they want me to bring her in, so now I have to traumatize her again by pulling her out from under the bed and taking her in the car.  The vet tech also gave her the shot in her shoulder instead of a hind leg, which is old school, so I'm hoping she didn't hit a nerve.  Oh, and the vet visit is $40. FML.  

Today I have class and a quiz for a professor who is a giant clusterfuck.  I would love just one class at my school to be organized.