Wedding Reception Forum

Traditional Polish Wedding

Hi Team,

I would really like to have a traditional polish wedding in Chicago but am struggling to find a venue close to downtown that will allow the party to go to 2am and have bottle of vodka on the table. Do you think it would be possible to rent a house somewhere close to downtown for the weekend and just hire bartenders and a DJ to go later? I'd also need to hire all the tables/chairs/dance floor ect. We are expecting about 100 guests. It's my dream to have the midnight wedding traditions and have the event last until 2. If I can't have open bottle of vodka on tables maybe bartenders can just serve shots of vodka during certain moments. Any advice would be appreciated! I just don't know where to start.

Re: Traditional Polish Wedding

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    You should post this on the local board for Chicago.  You will get better responses there.  This is an international board, and most of us do not know the area.

About your plans:  Renting a house and having a huge party is going to present legal liability issues.  You need to talk to a lawyer before deciding to do this, and you will have trouble finding a house owner who would be willing to allow a wedding with 100 people that goes until 2:00AM.  Think of the neighbors!  There is no way I would attend a wedding until 2:00AM, or even midnight.

I do not understand the bottles of vodka on the table.  Sounds like trouble, to me.  Shots at a wedding?  Nothing traditional about that!

Here is a good article about authentic Polish wedding traditions.  Notice that vodka is not among them.  https://blog.udemy.com/polish-wedding-traditions/
    Hi Team,I would really like to have a traditional polish wedding in Chicago but am struggling to find a venue close to downtown that will allow the party to go to 2am and have bottle of vodka on the table. Do you think it would be possible to rent a house somewhere close to downtown for the weekend and just hire bartenders and a DJ to go later? I'd also need to hire all the tables/chairs/dance floor ect. We are expecting about 100 guests. It's my dream to have the midnight wedding traditions and have the event last until 2. If I can't have open bottle of vodka on tables maybe bartenders can just serve shots of vodka during certain moments. Any advice would be appreciated! I just don't know where to start.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Traditional Polish Wedding
    Hi Team,

I would really like to have a traditional polish wedding in Chicago but am struggling to find a venue close to downtown that will allow the party to go to 2am and have bottle of vodka on the table. Do you think it would be possible to rent a house somewhere close to downtown for the weekend and just hire bartenders and a DJ to go later? I'd also need to hire all the tables/chairs/dance floor ect. We are expecting about 100 guests. It's my dream to have the midnight wedding traditions and have the event last until 2. If I can't have open bottle of vodka on tables maybe bartenders can just serve shots of vodka during certain moments. Any advice would be appreciated! I just don't know where to start.
    I agree, try your local board for specific suggestions.

I doubt that renting a house would fly, for all of the reasons that @CMGragain outlined above.  No Airbnb host (or similar) in their right mind would allow this, nor would they be remotely likely to carry the necessary liability insurance if they're not a professional venue.

My mom's side of the family is Polish from way-back, but I guess they're pretty assimilated at this point.  I've been to a gajillion family weddings, and never saw anyone doing shots or anything, so unfortunately no suggestions there.
  • That blog points to some things that are considered etiquette no-nos in Western culture, just FYI. Not inviting people to the reception after the ceremony? Yikes. Sending invites in waves (i.e. A/B listing)? Also yikes. Getting pelted with loose change? Well that just sounds not fun. 

• debbeaudebbeau member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2017
    My brother and brother in law both were married in Poland and my H and I attended. There were vodka shots done communally all during the wedding reception. This was a custom everyone participated .  I don't drink so I did get quite a bit of flack from people for not participating at first. Food was served all night and into the wee hours.. I do not know how this is handled at Polish weddings in the US but I do know the party lasted until early morning.
  • My neighbor was married at this place and they were able to stay until 3am.
    They had a 8 hour package.

http://www.royaltybanquet.com/banquetprices.php#r=off

edited February 2017
    CMGragain said:
    You should post this on the local board for Chicago.  You will get better responses there.  This is an international board, and most of us do not know the area.

About your plans:  Renting a house and having a huge party is going to present legal liability issues.  You need to talk to a lawyer before deciding to do this, and you will have trouble finding a house owner who would be willing to allow a wedding with 100 people that goes until 2:00AM.  Think of the neighbors!  There is no way I would attend a wedding until 2:00AM, or even midnight.

I do not understand the bottles of vodka on the table.  Sounds like trouble, to me.  Shots at a wedding?  Nothing traditional about that!

Here is a good article about authentic Polish wedding traditions.  Notice that vodka is not among them.  https://blog.udemy.com/polish-wedding-traditions/
    Hi Team,I would really like to have a traditional polish wedding in Chicago but am struggling to find a venue close to downtown that will allow the party to go to 2am and have bottle of vodka on the table. Do you think it would be possible to rent a house somewhere close to downtown for the weekend and just hire bartenders and a DJ to go later? I'd also need to hire all the tables/chairs/dance floor ect. We are expecting about 100 guests. It's my dream to have the midnight wedding traditions and have the event last until 2. If I can't have open bottle of vodka on tables maybe bartenders can just serve shots of vodka during certain moments. Any advice would be appreciated! I just don't know where to start.

How rude of you to explain to someone of Polish descent what is traditional in Polish culture! Did you really think it was helpful to quickly google a random article on polish culture and then act like you are the authority on something the OP has likely grown up with?

Your culture is not everyone's culture. 
    How the hell do you know that I'm not Polish?  You are ass-uming.  Hmm.. how did you access my family tree?
    I am 100% American - my ancestors came from many places, primarily the Baltic and Ireland.  You should be ashamed for assuming this.
    Long time Knotties will remember me defending traditional Polish wedding customs a few years ago.  My polka dancing days may be over, but I have many memories of the Polish traditional weddings I attended in my younger years for both family members, and for friends.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited February 2017
    debbeau said:
    My brother and brother in law both were married in Poland and my H and I attended. There were vodka shots done communally all during the wedding reception. This was a custom everyone participated .  I don't drink so I did get quite a bit of flack from people for not participating at first. Food was served all night and into the wee hours.. I do not know how this is handled at Polish weddings in the US but I do know the party lasted until early morning.
    Are you actually from Poland, yourself?  You did not explain that in your post last night.
    The Polish wedding customs I have seen are based on traditional culture.  When the immigrant family was still alive, they followed many of the customs from their homeland.
    Modern weddings in Poland may be quite different.  I was assuming that you wanted a traditional Polish wedding, similar to the ones I attended in the 1960s and 1970s.  If you didn't have an accordion polka band, then it wasn't really a wedding, according to some of my family!  Nobody drank anything but beer at those weddings.  There was wine, too, for the bridal tradition.
    Most of the people I knew have assimilated into American culture, and no longer observe the old traditions.  A little sad.  Some of the traditions don't translate well into American culture, too, as someone else pointed out.
    Whatever you do, I hope you have a happy wedding day, er, I mean night?  Do remember that liquor laws might restrict some of the activities.  I am not familiar with Illinois law.  I do know that many people will not be able to drink vodka shots, due to health concerns.
    Best wishes.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • debbeaudebbeau member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2017
    CMGragain said:
    debbeau said:
    Are you actually from Poland, yourself?  You did not explain that in your post last night.
    The Polish wedding customs I have seen are based on traditional culture.  When the immigrant family was still alive, they followed many of the customs from their homeland.
    Modern weddings in Poland may be quite different.  I was assuming that you wanted a traditional Polish wedding, similar to the ones I attended in the 1960s and 1970s.  If you didn't have an accordion polka band, then it wasn't really a wedding, according to some of my family!  Nobody drank anything but beer at those weddings.  There was wine, too, for the bridal tradition.
    Most of the people I knew have assimilated into American culture, and no longer observe the old traditions.  A little sad.  Some of the traditions don't translate well into American culture, too, as someone else pointed out.
    Whatever you do, I hope you have a happy wedding day, er, I mean night?  Do remember that liquor laws might restrict some of the activities.  I am not familiar with Illinois law.  I do know that many people will not be able to drink vodka shots, due to health concerns.
    Best wishes.
    I am not the OP. I was just talking about the Polish weddings I have been to in the last 25 years. My great grandmother was there to make sure they didn't miss anything. You can't get a more authentic source of tradition than great grandma
  • debbeau said:
    I agree; my ancestors are Polish and there are frequently vodka shots throughout family events; weddings, meals, other celebrations, so to me this is pretty common.

Also, I know many venues don't allow shots, but there isn't anything not traditional about shots. 
  • Good idea to call your local Polish community clubs for ideas!

You may even be able to rent out a hall for your reception. In this case, sometimes members of the community club will provide the meal and bar. They make a bit of money for their organization, you get a fair price and a traditional meal. This might be your perfect way to go if there are any close to you.