Wedding Woes

Re: Kicking off the week 3 thread

• Options
    JFC this is frightening and maddening.  
  • Options
    Right?  He's really Bannon's puppet.  That is fucking scary.  I hope that congress takes note and rejects his appointment.  
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Right?  He's really Bannon's puppet.  That is fucking scary.  I hope that congress takes note and rejects his appointment.  
    But they won't, I fear. Because as much as they try to give the appearance of being disgusted, they really are just shills for the party and will blindly support anything for fear they be labeled "unpatriotic" or "bad republicans" or "liberals"
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    But they won't, I fear. Because as much as they try to give the appearance of being disgusted, they really are just shills for the party and will blindly support anything for fear they be labeled "unpatriotic" or "bad republicans" or "liberals"
    This is what scares me more than Trump himself.  Elected officials who are willing to sit back and let him destroy the country because they only really want to represent a narrow perspective and they'll be damned if anyone stops them.

With that said, the DeVos vote is at noon.  I'm not optimistic.
    Pence has said he'll break the tie.  So...she's getting confirmed one way or another.  :-/ 

I have zero faith in Pence doing the right thing regarding education.  He allowed a goddamned mess to happen here.  
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 yeah, well, he's on her payroll too.  I was hoping for one other GOPer to deflect with Collins and Murkowski but so far it's not promising although Senator Peters spoke at H's conference on Friday and said it was still possible to flip one. 

It's sad, multiple reports say that the Capitols phone lines have been bogged down with constituents calling to say no and that they've received 900% more phone calls than usual.  Literally 900%, but what do we know?
  • Options
    "[Christie's transition plan] was discarded — a senior Trump aide made a show of tossing it into a garbage can — for a strategy that prioritized the daily release of dramatic executive orders to put opponents on the defensive."

• Options
    @mrsconn23 yeah, well, he's on her payroll too.  I was hoping for one other GOPer to deflect with Collins and Murkowski but so far it's not promising although Senator Peters spoke at H's conference on Friday and said it was still possible to flip one. 

It's sad, multiple reports say that the Capitols phone lines have been bogged down with constituents calling to say no and that they've received 900% more phone calls than usual.  Literally 900%, but what do we know?
    I'm so pissed Portman (our Republican Ohio Senator who was just reelected) is voting for her. Ohio public schools, especially the city schools are not great and she will be terrible for us. 

mrsconn23 said:
    I read that this morning with my breakfast, and it's terrifying. Seriously, he has no idea what he is doing, or is in his executive orders, he's more concerned about opinion polls than governing, not that he would know how to actually govern in the first place. Also, I'm not a huge Preibus fan, but seriously where the hell is he in this. It's like Trump is listening to Bannon and that's it. 
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 not to mention a PAC ran by her owes your state 5.3 million dollars that she hasn't paid yet.  

John Dingell (former congressman) retweeted the story about the lights and said "Luckily for them, setting the Constitution on fire provides at least a bit of working light."
  • Options
    At least he found the gum bit funny.

I forgot the big story I read over the weekend....Trumps trust is not blind:

http://www.voanews.com/a/report-trump-assets-in-revocable-trust/3706054.html

He receives daily briefings as to the status of each business, he can fire his sons at any time, and he still receives almost 70% of the profits from the Trump Hotel in DC that he's pressured foreign dignitaries to stay at when coming to meet him.
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    mrsconn23 said:
    Sean spicer is probably extra butt hurt after that snl skit. Dude, have you never watched yourself on tape? A first year speech student has to do that. 

• Options

I'm so pissed Portman (our Republican Ohio Senator who was just reelected) is voting for her. Ohio public schools, especially the city schools are not great and she will be terrible for us. 

mrsconn23 said:
    I read that this morning with my breakfast, and it's terrifying. Seriously, he has no idea what he is doing, or is in his executive orders, he's more concerned about opinion polls than governing, not that he would know how to actually govern in the first place. Also, I'm not a huge Preibus fan, but seriously where the hell is he in this. It's like Trump is listening to Bannon and that's it. 
    So the cynical, New England, pessimistic, conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Bannon has Seriously Damaging Disgusting Dirty Shit on Trump and he's holding that over Trump in order to have the position of power he has. 
  • Options
    For the TAL fans on here, if you haven't yet, do check out 609: It’s Working Out Very Nicely

This week we document what happened when the President’s executive order went into effect temporarily banning travel from seven countries, and we talk about the way it was implemented. A major policy change thrown into the world like a fastball with no warning. It’s hard not to ask: “What just happened? What was that all about?”
  • Options
    DeVos vote scheduled for tomorrow for anyone who wants to call a Senator:)
  • Options
    Debbie Stabanow's office reassured me that she's going to vote no--but I knew that (I sent her the 'yay, continue the resistance' email, not the 'heaven help us all " email)
  • Options
    GBCK said:
    Debbie Stabanow's office reassured me that she's going to vote no--but I knew that (I sent her the 'yay, continue the resistance' email, not the 'heaven help us all " email)
    The dems pulled a procedural move that gives them the floor for 24 hours to debate.  Senator Murphy said she knows for a fact there are Republicans who are struggling to vote for her so we should keep the calls up.  

Stabby speaks at 3:45.
  • Options
    Mitch McConnell just got up and accused dems of "extreme obstructionism" because they "refuse to recognize the results of the election."

Clearly, Trump must have gaslighted him about the last 8 years.
  • Options

The NYT story is a frightening, sad, and unbelievable read.  To think these people are having meetings in a building where they can't even ASK where a light switch is???  Then that Trump seems to be blindly signing these EOs without reading them.  Also, he goes up to the residence at 6:30 and that's it for the day?  Because he wants to watch TV?  Dude, you may not have known what actually goes into being President when you won the election, but embrace it because you are.  Being President is a 24/7 job, act like it.

I hope that DeVos is a big no tomorrow.  She will wreck the education system.  I hope the Dems can persuade 1 more Rep to switch to a No vote.

• Options
    Mitch McConnell just got up and accused dems of "extreme obstructionism" because they "refuse to recognize the results of the election."

Mitch McConnell is a party puppet. He loses SO much credibility when he says shit like this. Like, really dude? Are you trying to have people not take you seriously?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Mitch McConnell is a party puppet. He loses SO much credibility when he says shit like this. Like, really dude? Are you trying to have people not take you seriously?
    Can we talk about his tiny-ass chin and HUGE jowls?!  I mean, I'm not saying my chin/neck is anything to look at, but between his voice and hang-dog face...Ugh.  The. Worst. 
  • Options
    He didn't even flinch when he said it.  I just watched in amazement that he could speak such bullshit without choking on his own words.

You created the game, just own it, you have the numbers on your side anyways.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    WTELMF?  This makes me want to change my name back. (There's a lot of political references in the article)

https://www.bustle.com/p/half-of-us-adults-believe-women-should-be-required-by-law-to-change-their-last-names-after-marriage-the-reason-why-isnt-promising-34343
    This makes me so ragey. It's so fucking stupid.

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    WTELMF?  This makes me want to change my name back. (There's a lot of political references in the article)

https://www.bustle.com/p/half-of-us-adults-believe-women-should-be-required-by-law-to-change-their-last-names-after-marriage-the-reason-why-isnt-promising-34343
    I get a lot of comments for hyphenating and for only using my maiden at work.  It's amazing how many people have an opinion on what my name should be.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

I get a lot of comments for hyphenating and for only using my maiden at work.  It's amazing how many people have an opinion on what my name should be.
    Exactly! Why do people think it is their business what other people call themselves? DD got flack because she did change her name. She was told it was very old fashioned and basically that a modern woman shouldn't do that. Umm mind your own business people.