Chit Chat
Options

Work vent thread!

It's Friday and I'm on my last nerve with people...let's do this!

I coordinate my team's registration to a regional conference twice a year. I've been sending emails for over a month that the deadline was noon today. I had to send FIVE emails to some people, and then they STILL didn't respond with the necessary information (which of course had been outlined in all of the emails), so I had to follow up several times to get everything I need. Then I had someone Paypal me money at 12:30, no email, no mention that she was coming. I had already sent in our registration (like I said I was going to). She got upset when I sent the money back. I told her I gave her five warnings of the deadline, and registration was closed.

WHY is it so hard for professional adults to read and respond to a damn email??

Re: Work vent thread!

• Options
    Our 8's and 9's are not nice kids this year.  I don't plan on attending the year end trip.  I won't be sad when they graduate

• Options

I'd be so frustrated over that too, @ahoywedding. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Basically my vent is that the company I work for sucks. It's managed poorly (VERY poorly), and we are doing virtually no business right now, which is both super boring and kinda scary all at once. I have done maybe 5 minutes of actual work today because that's all I have to do. That's all anybody has to do. And then our CFO has the nerve to walk around and ask all of us if we're "working hard". Get with the program, sister. You see the numbers. If you want us all working hard, tell the loan officers to get off their lazy asses and go out and generate business. Ugh.

• Options
    I'm irrationally annoyed at a woman in my department who showed up in jeans today. This is the least annoying thing she does but it pushed me over the edge today for some reason. Our department has an unwritten dress code of business casual, no jeans, that has been understood by all for 10+ years (she has been here that long). We had a huge snowstorm yesterday and if she came in wearing jeans then I probably would've understood since it was still actively snowing while we were here. But today roads are plowed, schools are open and I know for a fact she parks in a garage at home and didn't need to clean off her car before she came in so why are you wearing jeans and snow boots?! "Cause there is snow on the ground." 
  • Options
    @thefanciestbeckler  at least you get work soap opera! ;)

My former jobs had drama all the time.
    I worked at a hair salon, and one girl got let go. Since I have some former coworkers on my fb, I saw that she was hired back. Uhm ... you let her go because you felt she wasn't competent and now she's back? Whatever ....

Another job I was at, the manager that hired me was sent to another location and the new manager was brought it. She'd bitch if I wasn't there AT 9AM but she'd waltz in and out whenever. She said one day why I wasn't in at 9am, I said "look at the schedule. I don't actually have to be here until 9:30am. It says you're suppose to be here at 9"

She'd then come in, wait until another staffer was in and be like "oh i'll be back" - gone for a hour - and come back. "work" for a little bit then take extra long lunch and leave by 4pm! WHAT THE EVER LOVING FUCK!!
    At that place I worked 6 days under part-time ...
  • Options
    I just started a new job, and I'm really excited to have it but I'm bored. I know work will pick up and I'll probably change my tune then but until then I feel like I'm slacking, like there is more I could be/should be doing but there just isn't. I'm used to running around for 8+ hours, no bathroom or food breaks and here I am getting to take an hour lunch. *first world problems*
  • Options
    Similar to OP's work vent!!

We were planning on traveling to another branch campus for some meetings, which I normally lead. Lead the meetings, I mean. Not coordinate travel. Now then, just because of my personality, I'm often the one asking things like, "Who wants to drive? I can get a rental. Did everyone book the same hotel?" Because we're all adults and can figure out our own travel (some of us work remotely so we're not all on the same flights or drive in at different times). 

So anywho, I had a personal conflict and ended up not being able to attend the meetings in person and people knew full well I'd be attending via video conference. However, about a week before the meetings, my boss said to me, "Team members are frustrated that this isn't well organized."
    Excuse me?? "Team members" had the agenda for the meetings. They helped me set the damn agenda for the meetings.  We all had invites on our work calendars for said meetings that have the actual meeting rooms listed at the campus. It is NOT my responsibility to herd cats especially when I won't be there in person. Why couldn't another "team member" step up and coordinate everything?

So I corralled our team's admin assistant to create the type of agenda that includes hotel locations, lobby meeting times; I corralled a person at our other campus who could corral her admin to arrange catered lunch and breakfast, etc. I had my admin even print google maps from the hotel to the campus, and a map to the place where they had dinner reservations. 

Even so, I heard after the meetings, people were asking, "Wait where's dinner?" Read your fucking agenda. 

I know exactly who the disgruntled "team member" was too because she's newer and probably asked me 5 times what goes on in these meetings. And I explained to her all five times what goes on. 

• Options
    I'm lucky that I enjoy my job and work with great people, but we are so short-staffed right now! We have three new attorneys, all frazzled and overwhelmed. One of them is fresh out of law school. My boss is rarely in the office anymore because she's always in court. One of the managing attorneys is out of the office for the next week, and another was sick all last week. She came into the office Friday, still miserable. Meanwhile, the social workers' caseloads are worse than usual, so they need us more often. It never ends, and I have trouble enjoying my weekends because I worry about what awaits me on Monday.
  • Options
    My work vent isn't too much about work.  We have a great staff but our caseload is down which means we aren't replacing anyone after they leave.  

The most irritating thing about my work right now is that our receptionist is parking in my monthly parking lot without a permit.  This has been going on for 3 weeks.  The Company that runs to lot refuses to issue citations.  Sometimes I don't have a place to park but he gets here early enough that he always snags a spot.  I explained to him how frustrating that is to me and he basically said I was the idiot for paying them when he is parking there for free.

• Options
    Ro041 said:
    My work vent isn't too much about work.  We have a great staff but our caseload is down which means we aren't replacing anyone after they leave.  

The most irritating thing about my work right now is that our receptionist is parking in my monthly parking lot without a permit.  This has been going on for 3 weeks.  The Company that runs to lot refuses to issue citations.  Sometimes I don't have a place to park but he gets here early enough that he always snags a spot.  I explained to him how frustrating that is to me and he basically said I was the idiot for paying them when he is parking there for free.
    So your receptionist admits to breaking the rules as a means of being thrifty?   Can you block him in?
  • Options
    @banana468 - yup, he admits that he isn't doing it and then asks why he should since they don't monitor the lot.  It drives me nuts.  Unfortunately there's no way to block him in, but that is a brilliant idea.  

• Options

I'd be so frustrated over that too, @ahoywedding. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Basically my vent is that the company I work for sucks. It's managed poorly (VERY poorly), and we are doing virtually no business right now, which is both super boring and kinda scary all at once. I have done maybe 5 minutes of actual work today because that's all I have to do. That's all anybody has to do. And then our CFO has the nerve to walk around and ask all of us if we're "working hard". Get with the program, sister. You see the numbers. If you want us all working hard, tell the loan officers to get off their lazy asses and go out and generate business. Ugh.

Feeling your pain.  It's been really slow today.  It will be really slow this whole week.  Things are looking bad.  I have many duties that fall under me, but one of the main ones is I run the Procurement Dept.  "Run", as in the systems.  There used to be 3 people in this department, now it's just me.  They are putting a "temporary" stop on new Purchase Orders and are also recalling some that have already been issued.

Ummm...but...that's what I do (breaking out into a sweat). 

And the big boss asks me every week or two, various "staying busy?"/"working hard" questions.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    I'm overworked (tax season is under way). I keep getting assignments I don't enjoy doing that never go away because of a client being audited by an ambitious IRS auditor who wants to squeeze whatever she can out of him and keeps jerking everyone at my firm around.

To top that off, my take-home pay after taxes and benefits is too small and I have to keep dipping into retirement funds to make ends meet (and paying extra taxes on that money because they're early withdrawals). No, my boss won't raise my pay and at this point in the year it's too late for me to job hunt again until after tax season is over (it's extra-long this year because April 15 is on Friday and the fucking IRS closes for a holiday called Patriot's Day).

Arrrrrrrrrrgh.
  • Options
    What is this Patriot's Day you speak of?  I want it off!

• Options
    Ro041 said:
    It's April 17th.    It's the anniversary of the battle of Lexington and Concord.   

In Mass, it's a holiday too and it's the day the Boston Marathon is run (hence the Mark Wahlberg movie if the same name.).
  • Options
    Same issues here. Huge project at work. We're divided in teams (that never goes well). My team consists of 4, with 2 (including me) doing the work of all. Then you have other people who are on different teams, but expect everyone to be "friendly" and teach them their jobs. Like, if you're not qualified for your position, it isn't my problem. I'm doing the work of 2 of my teammates already, so I certainly am not going to take on other teams' work too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Ro041 said:
    It's April 17th.    It's the anniversary of the battle of Lexington and Concord.   

In Mass, it's a holiday too and it's the day the Boston Marathon is run (hence the Mark Wahlberg movie if the same name.).
    I work for a company that actually gets Patriot's Day off - which is rare in MA. I only ever had it off in middle school, high school, and college. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Ro041 said:

I work for a company that actually gets Patriot's Day off - which is rare in MA. I only ever had it off in middle school, high school, and college. 
    I remember finding out about Patriots Day because New England Motor Freight called it a holiday.    And my customer called wondering why their delivery wasn't in.    

No one in CT follows it.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Ro041 said:

I remember finding out about Patriots Day because New England Motor Freight called it a holiday.    And my customer called wondering why their delivery wasn't in.    

No one in CT follows it.  
    I grew up in CT (moved to MA when I was 12) and was completely baffled by the holiday the first year I learned about it. For kids in grades K-12 it almost always coincides with April break. The City of Boston gets Evacuation Day (March 17 - St. Patrick's Day) off, but even though I went to college in Boston I never got that day off. Although there were years when I wished I had March 18 off to recover from March 17 festivities lol. 
  • Options
    @banana468 and @sparklepants41 I can do one better than Patriots Day/Evacuation Day/etc...here in Central PA all the schools are closed the Monday following Thanksgiving...why you might ask?  Oh its the first day of rifle dear season!  Like you didn't know that was a holiday that closes school and means half your co-workers are taking PTO?  Yeah I was SUPER confused the first year we moved here and found out about that.
  • Options

Speaking of holidays, my work is a bit stingy with them.  We have two offices.  One in Houston, one in NOLA.  The Houston office gets Memorial Day off.  We do not.  Because we have to trade it for Mardi Gras Day being a holiday.

Out here, Mardi Gras Day is a holiday almost all companies give.  So, that's our weirdo localish holiday.  Sort of like I'm picturing the Boston Marathon (if its's run on a weekday), it's extremely difficult to get around the city anyway.  We NEED to have it off!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @banana468 and @sparklepants41 I can do one better than Patriots Day/Evacuation Day/etc...here in Central PA all the schools are closed the Monday following Thanksgiving...why you might ask?  Oh its the first day of rifle dear season!  Like you didn't know that was a holiday that closes school and means half your co-workers are taking PTO?  Yeah I was SUPER confused the first year we moved here and found out about that.
    Yikes! I would be confused about that too! H works in RI - they get VJ Day off in August, but Rifle Deer Day takes the cake for oddest day off in my book!
  • Options
    KnotYetTiedKnotYetTied member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2017

Speaking of holidays, my work is a bit stingy with them.  We have two offices.  One in Houston, one in NOLA.  The Houston office gets Memorial Day off.  We do not.  Because we have to trade it for Mardi Gras Day being a holiday.

Out here, Mardi Gras Day is a holiday almost all companies give.  So, that's our weirdo localish holiday.  Sort of like I'm picturing the Boston Marathon (if its's run on a weekday), it's extremely difficult to get around the city anyway.  We NEED to have it off!

I live in Louisiana and work for a catholic health system. I do not get Mardi Gras off. Can you believe?! It sucks.

ETA - We never get Mardi Gras off, but this year PTO is almost totally on lock down. We have certain months we're allowed to take "limited PTO" and certain months where it opens up again (PTO was closed off Jan. 6 and won't open back fully until November, but then it'll probably go away again for a few months next Jan.) This makes a wedding particularly difficult.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My mom's first job was in northern Michigan and they had off for a few days the beginning of gun deer season! I guess so many people would call out those days that most employers decided to just close anyway.
  • Options

I live in Louisiana and work for a catholic health system. I do not get Mardi Gras off. Can you believe?! It sucks.

ETA - We never get Mardi Gras off, but this year PTO is almost totally on lock down. We have certain months we're allowed to take "limited PTO" and certain months where it opens up again (PTO was closed off Jan. 6 and won't open back fully until November, but then it'll probably go away again for a few months next Jan.) This makes a wedding particularly difficult.

What!?!  Both of those statements are totally messed up.  So, you basically can't take vacation time unless it is the holidays or an extra super-duper special reason.  Ugh.  You definitely have my sympathies.

I can understand certain retail establishments having to be open on Mardi Gras (ie gas stations, fast food, drug stores like Rite Aid), but a catholic health system having a normal work day is nuts.

Years ago, I worked for Lockheed Martin.  Big, national company.  We didn't get Mardi Gras off because, of course, it isn't a Federal holiday.  But it was NBD to use a vacation day and I'm sure there would have been no one in the office if I'd gone to work, lol.

Another holiday I was surprised to find is super common for companies to have in Louisiana is Good Friday.  I don't remember that being the case when I lived in CA.  Even my stingy company gives us Good Friday off.

I am cracking up at the stories of official company holidays for deer hunting.  Wow!  Funny.  I have two coworkers who are avid deer hunters.  And they do take more vacation days during the deer hunting season.  But, yeah.  It has to be vacation days.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LulawifeLulawife member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2017
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Ro041 said:

No one in CT follows it.  
    I'm in CT and we also have a MA office that closes for Patriots Day. The first year I worked here I couldn't figure out why no one in that office was answering my calls that day. 

ETA now that I saw @sparklepants41 comment about VJ day. We also have a RI office that gets that off while CT and MA don't. It's a family owned company so they basically make their own rules so CT's trade off is getting Good Friday off. 
  • Options

What!?!  Both of those statements are totally messed up.  So, you basically can't take vacation time unless it is the holidays or an extra super-duper special reason.  Ugh.  You definitely have my sympathies.

I can understand certain retail establishments having to be open on Mardi Gras (ie gas stations, fast food, drug stores like Rite Aid), but a catholic health system having a normal work day is nuts.

Years ago, I worked for Lockheed Martin.  Big, national company.  We didn't get Mardi Gras off because, of course, it isn't a Federal holiday.  But it was NBD to use a vacation day and I'm sure there would have been no one in the office if I'd gone to work, lol.

Another holiday I was surprised to find is super common for companies to have in Louisiana is Good Friday.  I don't remember that being the case when I lived in CA.  Even my stingy company gives us Good Friday off.

I am cracking up at the stories of official company holidays for deer hunting.  Wow!  Funny.  I have two coworkers who are avid deer hunters.  And they do take more vacation days during the deer hunting season.  But, yeah.  It has to be vacation days.

We do get Good Friday thankfully. They're shutting down PTO for most of this year and likely a good portion of next year because we're implementing a new electronic medical record system. But we'll be working at least 2 weeks of 12 hours for each of the 3 go-lives, we're salary, don't get comp time, don't get overtime, and now they're thinking of making a fourth go-live for a component that only I am certified in on the hospital side. They want it to be May 4th, which is during the limited PTO allowed span, and I've asked for May 5th off because FI and I booked a B&B that weekend. So, I'm really bummed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So I got to work today and Coworker was still parked in my monthly lot without a pass.  The part time attendant was there and I asked when Coworker would be ticketed since he has been parked there for almost 4 weeks now.  He told me that because Coworker has a handicapped plate, he can park in that spot, regardless of whether the pays the monthly rate.  I told him that's not true and he went off on me about how I can't tell him how to do his job.  The interaction ended with me speaking to his supervisor and asking him to explain to attendant that a handicapped placard/plate does not permit someone to park without paying.  Oh and to tell him to stop yelling at me.  

• Options
    @banana468 - THANK YOU!!  I feel like I am being soooo petty about this but it personally offends me that Coworker knows this affects my ability to park and just doesn't care.  

I stood there until supervisor instructed attendant to issue the ticket.  I went back down later and there was a ticket on Coworker's car FINALLY.  We will see what parking drama tomorrow brings!