Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

ERC Mexico 208 days away!!!

Hello everyone, 

I am new to the group and this is my first post but I wanted to talk to some other brides that have experience planning or have even attended a destination wedding. My fiance and I are doing a destination because it will be more cost effective for us and because her parents cannot be in the same room with each other. I have done the giant wedding (300 ppl+) with my ex and so this time a small low key idea is what we are going for. We want to focus on each other and make sure it is about us and not some crazy aunt that we haven't seen in 15 years that shouldn't have eaten the shell fish but did it anyways. 

Who here is doing a destination with 20 people or less? Is anyone else going to Mexico and more specifically Excellence Riviera Cancun? I am not having a bridal party and she is not having anyone stand with her either but I still would like to get gifts for the people that are going out of their way to be there. What is the proper etiquette for after the reception. I want to have LOTS of alone time with my new wife but I worry about our friends and family not being entertained or having a good time. I know its not up to me but I am a worrier none the less.

Sorry so long! Thank you in advance!

Courtney  <3

Re: ERC Mexico 208 days away!!!

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    Looking at the packages, they mention services of a judge.  Are you able to get legally married in Cancun, Mexico?  You should check this out carefully before finalizing your plans.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Hello everyone, 

I am new to the group and this is my first post but I wanted to talk to some other brides that have experience planning or have even attended a destination wedding. My fiance and I are doing a destination because it will be more cost effective for us and because her parents cannot be in the same room with each other. I have done the giant wedding (300 ppl+) with my ex and so this time a small low key idea is what we are going for. We want to focus on each other and make sure it is about us and not some crazy aunt that we haven't seen in 15 years that shouldn't have eaten the shell fish but did it anyways. 

Who here is doing a destination with 20 people or less? Is anyone else going to Mexico and more specifically Excellence Riviera Cancun? I am not having a bridal party and she is not having anyone stand with her either but I still would like to get gifts for the people that are going out of their way to be there. What is the proper etiquette for after the reception. I want to have LOTS of alone time with my new wife but I worry about our friends and family not being entertained or having a good time. I know its not up to me but I am a worrier none the less.

Sorry so long! Thank you in advance!

Courtney  <3
    We did a DW in Hawaii for about 40, so a little different from your situation.  After our reception, we held an after party at the bar in our hotel.  We lost amplified sound after 9pm due to the proximity of hotel rooms, and the hotel bar had karaoke starting at 9 away from the rooms, so we sent out a casual word of mouth about an after party.  From there, about half of the guests stayed and eventually headed back to their hotels as they felt.  

We also hosted several get togethers during the time we were there, to give people the option of hanging out with us if they were interested.  We met on the beach to watch free fireworks, did a snorkel trip to a local bay.  It was mostly free, not a long time and gave guests the opportunity to spend time with us if they wanted.  It also helped us plan time with guests and time for ourselves to get wedding stuff done or to take a break.  Not everyone came to every event, and some came to none.  Yes, people were there for our wedding, but they were also there for a vacation for themselves and many took that time to enjoy their vacation on their own.  

Gifts aren't required for your guests.  Please make sure you are hosting them well at your wedding.  We did do small welcome bags instead of favours if you were looking for some ideas.  

• Options
    As long as you are having a meal reception, I think you are doing the minimum for hosting a DW. Consider having another meetup at some point if you would like to guarantee seeing more of your guests. Keep in mind that DW are only cheaper for you, not your guests. You don't need to get gifts. Host them well and that is fine.