Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Would You Prefer Pre-Made Sandwiches or Cold Cut Trays?

We are having a casual luncheon wedding, and I am currently debating between doing trays of cold cuts, cheeses, etc and letting everyone pick and choose what they like, or doing a selection of pre-made sandwiches.  The wedding is quite small (60 guests or less, probably on the less side) so there won't be hideously long lines at the buffet.  If we go with cold cuts we plan to make 2 separate "stations" as it were, with identical offerings, to speed things along.

I'm just curious if people have a preference.  My FI loathes mustard (a staple on many a pre-made sandwich) but I love it, LOL, and I know lots of people can be a bit choosy when it comes to condiments, toppings, etc.  Also some people can't eat cheese (FI is also lactose intolerant, as are some other guests, so there's that) and obviously we could have cheese-free options, I just want to make sure we do whatever makes our guests the happiest.

What would your preference be, given the choice?

Re: Would You Prefer Pre-Made Sandwiches or Cold Cut Trays?

• I'd prefer the pre-made sandwiches, mainly for cleanliness purposes- something about rolled up meat and cheese out in the open always turns me off.  Plus, 60 people grabbing a sandwich is quicker than 60 people building their own- even with two stations some guests may feel like it's a long wait.  
    As far as the mustard, the deli caterers by me are very flexible as far as putting condiments on the side, and customizing sandwich orders (I have panini platters and 6' heroes at every day time party I throw, I love your idea!).  
  • Given the choice I like the idea of making my own sandwich versus the pre-made ones as I am someone who doesn't like "typical" sandwich items (like raw tomato!).  If you know a large portion of the list will have varying tastes/allergies I could see the appeal.  However, I am probably in the minority!

A few thoughts:

1. I assume there are tables/chairs for everyone to sit at and leave their bags/coats/whatever at.  I would NOT want to be trying to make a sandwich while balancing a drink and a clutch in my arms. 
    2. Condiments may "hold up the line" could these be done via packets, or something placed at each of the tables?
    3. Temperature (AKA food safety):  Cold cuts need to be kept at a reasonable temperature range during the ceremony and until the Reception starts.  I am not saying its impossible but how will this be achieved? 
    4. Serving/Cleaning:  Will there be extra's of anything that needs refilled, or are you just planning to open the trays and hope everyone gets something?  Who is cleaning up all the trash and packing away left overs?

In general I liked that I didn't have to worry about anything like this on my wedding day.  It was nice to have a caterer that cooked, served, and cleaned everything up.  It meant that I could focus on my DH and the guests the whole time.  Personally, I think it is always worth it to hire someone to cater the event.  It can be "cheap food" like BBQ, Mexican, or Italian or it can be a local restaurant/deli.  Just my thoughts!

• Given the choice I like the idea of making my own sandwich versus the pre-made ones as I am someone who doesn't like "typical" sandwich items (like raw tomato!).  If you know a large portion of the list will have varying tastes/allergies I could see the appeal.  However, I am probably in the minority!

A few thoughts:

1. I assume there are tables/chairs for everyone to sit at and leave their bags/coats/whatever at.  I would NOT want to be trying to make a sandwich while balancing a drink and a clutch in my arms. 
    2. Condiments may "hold up the line" could these be done via packets, or something placed at each of the tables?
    3. Temperature (AKA food safety):  Cold cuts need to be kept at a reasonable temperature range during the ceremony and until the Reception starts.  I am not saying its impossible but how will this be achieved? 
    4. Serving/Cleaning:  Will there be extra's of anything that needs refilled, or are you just planning to open the trays and hope everyone gets something?  Who is cleaning up all the trash and packing away left overs?

In general I liked that I didn't have to worry about anything like this on my wedding day.  It was nice to have a caterer that cooked, served, and cleaned everything up.  It meant that I could focus on my DH and the guests the whole time.  Personally, I think it is always worth it to hire someone to cater the event.  It can be "cheap food" like BBQ, Mexican, or Italian or it can be a local restaurant/deli.  Just my thoughts!

1.  Oh yes absolutely there will be chairs/tables for everyone, everyone will have their hands free for dealing with food

2.  That's a good suggestion about condiments, so we can definitely do that

3.  I have a commercial food handling certificate, so no worries about the food safety.  The cold cuts, cheese, salads, etc will be kept in commercial sized coolers on ice until they are put out for serving.

4.  We are hiring 2-3 waitstaff to put out the food (first for cocktail hour and then for the lunch) and see that everything remains filled.  Since we are camping for the whole weekend we are purposely going over on food, with the intention of having more than we need, so that there are leftovers for the after-party.  The waitstaff will also be in charge of clearing away leftovers and trash, the food will be returned to the coolers until the event is over, at which time we have access to refrigeration nearby, where everything will be stored for the rest of the weekend.  I definitely don't want anyone to get food poisoning at any point, so we are taking every precaution.

The trouble with our location is that it's quite remote, with no electricity at the actual reception area.  We debated getting a food truck (really the only reasonable option) but that presents it's own problems.  You end up with people standing in line a long time.  Myself and several of my very good friends are all familiar with large scale catering (I've personally pulled off a 4-course medieval dinner for 40 single-handedly) and all possess food handling certification, and have an array of commercial experience.  That is the only reason I feel confident with the choices regarding the food.  While they have all generously volunteered to assist with any food prep, they are my guests, so on the day I want them to enjoy the party, which is why we are hiring help for that part.

Thank you for asking such thoughtful questions though, I appreciate it.  It's always important to make certain that plans are fully considered :)
  • Pre-made sandwiches. I don't want to be stuck behind the super-indecisive people or the super slow movers as they make their sandwich. I'm envisioning like what they do with boxed lunches - there's ham and swiss, turkey and cheddar, chicken salad, etc. clearly labeled, with a good variety of options, and people should be able to find something they're reasonably happy with.
  • JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    Ugh. I hate pre-made sandwiches. They always have mayo or mustard (both of which I'd rather starve than eat) and the one or two sandwiches that I can eat are hidden, so I have to ask someone about every single kind. I'd definitely go with letting people make their own. 

Edited to correct autocorrect. 
  • Premade sandwiches, because you aren't hiring a caterer to be responsible enough for refilling etc. and don't over order or plan to save. No one wants a soggy old sandwich. 
  • Premade sandwiches, because you aren't hiring a caterer to be responsible enough for refilling etc. and don't over order or plan to save. No one wants a soggy old sandwich. 
    We are hiring 2-3 professional waitstaff to see that things will be refilled.  Your closing sentiment is exactly why I was leaning towards cold-cuts.  Because we are having a luncheon wedding, we are having an evening after-party, and I wanted to have all the leftovers on hand for late night snacking around the bonfire.
  • Hybrid....The buffet line will go MUCH faster with pre-made. But I would have condiments and toppings after the sandwiches (so just meat+cheese and veggie) so people can dress the sandwiches themselves. 
    Ok so basically buns with meat already on them and cheese on some and then lettuce/tomato and they add their own condiments?  I just want to make sure I understand because that could definitely be a good meet-in-the-middle option :smile:
    We are hiring 2-3 professional waitstaff to see that things will be refilled.  Your closing sentiment is exactly why I was leaning towards cold-cuts.  Because we are having a luncheon wedding, we are having an evening after-party, and I wanted to have all the leftovers on hand for late night snacking around the bonfire.
    If I were your mother in law I'd be incredibly pissed that I gave you all this money for a wedding and you chose sandwiches at a remote location with no electricity. And you're surprised she's annoyed? Who wants a bunch of cold cuts around a fire? Get a proper lunch catered with your MIL's money. Buy your own late night snacks. 
  • Are these pre-made sandwiches ones that you are ordering or making yourself before hand?

I like the variety and options that you get with a good catered sandwich (i.e. something you wouldn't make yourself out of your fridge), but I agree that lots of people are picky about what goes on their sandwich (mustard, mayo, tomato, etc). DH hates mayo.

If the ingredients are going to be essentially the same between the two options, then I vote the hybrid option. Have meat and cheese prepared on buns, then let guests add their condiments (mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickle, olives, etc). Have two condiment tables that can be accessed from both sides.
    If I were your mother in law I'd be incredibly pissed that I gave you all this money for a wedding and you chose sandwiches at a remote location with no electricity. And you're surprised she's annoyed? Who wants a bunch of cold cuts around a fire? Get a proper lunch catered with your MIL's money. Buy your own late night snacks. 
    We aren't having "cold cuts around a fire".  We are hosting a luncheon wedding, which is perfectly acceptable.  You also have no idea how much my FMIL is giving us, so don't say "all this money".  The location is a park, which is also a perfectly acceptable location to hold a wedding.  It's not a bush party.  I'm not "surprised she's annoyed" I am simply sad at how she is handling the situation.

We are on a limited budget, that's just the facts of the matter.  We aren't spending on extravagant things, we are having a very simple and casual wedding because that's what we want.  It will be hosted properly, people will be fed, the end.
  • SP29 said:
    Are these pre-made sandwiches ones that you are ordering or making yourself before hand?

I like the variety and options that you get with a good catered sandwich (i.e. something you wouldn't make yourself out of your fridge), but I agree that lots of people are picky about what goes on their sandwich (mustard, mayo, tomato, etc). DH hates mayo.

If the ingredients are going to be essentially the same between the two options, then I vote the hybrid option. Have meat and cheese prepared on buns, then let guests add their condiments (mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickle, olives, etc). Have two condiment tables that can be accessed from both sides.
    My MOH and my sister have kindly offered to make all of the sandwiches/trays (whichever we chose) the day before the wedding.  Both of them have worked in specialty delis that cater party trays, so they know what they are doing.  They will be as fancy or as simple as we wish, but I was leaning more towards simple as that seems to be what most people like (standard sandwich fare).

The hybrid option definitely seems appealing.
  • Count me on team DIY sammiches and not pre-made. I despise pre-made sammiches. They're always soggy and sometimes you really can't tell what's what and I think I'm getting Chicken salad and I end up with tuna. Barf. 
    The hybrid idea sounds great! With everything clearly labeled!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2017
    If you do pre-made sandwiches, I'd suggest that you go one further and have toppers (lettuce, tomatoes, etc.) on the side just like the condiments. People are very opinionated about things like that. (E.g. My FW hates lettuce on sandwiches and dill pickles in any form.)

Whatever you do, label everything and have more vegetarian options than just cheese.
  • If you do pre-made sandwiches, I'd suggest that you go one further and have toppers (lettuce, tomatoes, etc.) on the side just like the condiments. People are very opinionated about things like that. (E.g. My FW hates lettuce on sandwiches and dill pickles in any form.)

Whatever you do, label everything and have more vegetarian options than just cheese.
    I typically eat a plant-based diet myself so I will definitely not neglect our herbivore guests!  Thanks for the feedback.
  • Pre-made sandwiches. I don't want to be stuck behind the super-indecisive people or the super slow movers as they make their sandwich. I'm envisioning like what they do with boxed lunches - there's ham and swiss, turkey and cheddar, chicken salad, etc. clearly labeled, with a good variety of options, and people should be able to find something they're reasonably happy with.
    Are you inviting kids to this wedding?  Because if so, we would definitely be the slow movers referenced above.  Two adults, two kids, now DH and I are trying to make sandwiches for four while people are waiting behind us.  Pre-made would be so much easier in this scenario. 
  • Heffalump said:
    Pre-made sandwiches. I don't want to be stuck behind the super-indecisive people or the super slow movers as they make their sandwich. I'm envisioning like what they do with boxed lunches - there's ham and swiss, turkey and cheddar, chicken salad, etc. clearly labeled, with a good variety of options, and people should be able to find something they're reasonably happy with.
    Are you inviting kids to this wedding?  Because if so, we would definitely be the slow movers referenced above.  Two adults, two kids, now DH and I are trying to make sandwiches for four while people are waiting behind us.  Pre-made would be so much easier in this scenario. 
    All the kids invited to the wedding are 13+ except for one who is 8.  There just aren't very many little children in our families right now.  But you raise a good point, so thank you for commenting :)
  • Heffalump said:
    Pre-made sandwiches. I don't want to be stuck behind the super-indecisive people or the super slow movers as they make their sandwich. I'm envisioning like what they do with boxed lunches - there's ham and swiss, turkey and cheddar, chicken salad, etc. clearly labeled, with a good variety of options, and people should be able to find something they're reasonably happy with.
    All the kids invited to the wedding are 13+ except for one who is 8.  There just aren't very many little children in our families right now.  But you raise a good point, so thank you for commenting :)
    Do you have any pregnant guests? Because pregnant ladies cannot eat cold cuts. Just something to take into consideration...
  • Heffalump said:
    Do you have any pregnant guests? Because pregnant ladies cannot eat cold cuts. Just something to take into consideration...
    At this point, no.  But having 2 kiddos myself and planning a 3rd I will definitely make certain that we have options that are not cold cuts.  We are actually planning to add pulled pork to the menu now, to provide a hot dish that still fits with the rest of the menu.  If any ladies do announce they are pregnant or approach me with concerns about the menu, I will of course accommodate them.  I want everyone to have a lot of options :smile:
  • Heffalump said:
    At this point, no.  But having 2 kiddos myself and planning a 3rd I will definitely make certain that we have options that are not cold cuts.  We are actually planning to add pulled pork to the menu now, to provide a hot dish that still fits with the rest of the menu.  If any ladies do announce they are pregnant or approach me with concerns about the menu, I will of course accommodate them.  I want everyone to have a lot of options :smile:
    Eh, I've eaten cold cuts throughout my pregnancy. The listeria risk is insanely over hyped. Sure, it's nice to offer something else in case someone is concerned, but it's a silly concern. 
  • Heffalump said:
    Eh, I've eaten cold cuts throughout my pregnancy. The listeria risk is insanely over hyped. Sure, it's nice to offer something else in case someone is concerned, but it's a silly concern. 
    I know ladies who don't worry and some that follow the letter of the "what to expect when you're expecting" law. I ate cold cuts but not raw fish or soft cheese.  Plenty of my friends continued eating both. I hope people utilize our dietary concerns field on the RSVP so we can make sure to accommodate anyone who mentions stuff :smile:

• Do you have any pregnant guests? Because pregnant ladies cannot eat cold cuts. Just something to take into consideration...
    This one changes like the wind when it comes to the list of "Pregnant Moms Shouldn't Eat..."  Same goes for peanuts, soft cheeses, sushi, fish, caffeine, etc.  Ultimately the Mom has to understand the fine lines and assess her risk with her OB/GYN or MW.  

OP - another vote for "Let guests build their own sandwich" - I have some odd food sensitivities and allergies so this gives me a chance to be selective of my risk levels.  Gluten is a MAJOR item that many avoid whether they do or don't have Celiac's, then your vegetarians who don't want meat, tomato is actually a common allergen, dairy intolerance/allergy, egg intolerance/allergy, etc.  Also, I absolutely abhor Turkey, a deli tray, lets me choose the roast beef or ham instead.  And that, is why I'm NAF of pre-made sandwiches even at funerals..

A few thoughts:

1.  Oh yes absolutely there will be chairs/tables for everyone, everyone will have their hands free for dealing with food

3.  I have a commercial food handling certificate, so no worries about the food safety.  The cold cuts, cheese, salads, etc will be kept in commercial sized coolers on ice until they are put out for serving.

4.  We are hiring 2-3 waitstaff to put out the food (first for cocktail hour and then for the lunch) and see that everything remains filled.  Since we are camping for the whole weekend we are purposely going over on food, with the intention of having more than we need, so that there are leftovers for the after-party.  The waitstaff will also be in charge of clearing away leftovers and trash, the food will be returned to the coolers until the event is over, at which time we have access to refrigeration nearby, where everything will be stored for the rest of the weekend.  I definitely don't want anyone to get food poisoning at any point, so we are taking every precaution.

The trouble with our location is that it's quite remote, with no electricity at the actual reception area.  We debated getting a food truck (really the only reasonable option) but that presents it's own problems.  You end up with people standing in line a long time.  Myself and several of my very good friends are all familiar with large scale catering (I've personally pulled off a 4-course medieval dinner for 40 single-handedly) and all possess food handling certification, and have an array of commercial experience.  That is the only reason I feel confident with the choices regarding the food.  While they have all generously volunteered to assist with any food prep, they are my guests, so on the day I want them to enjoy the party, which is why we are hiring help for that part.

Thank you for asking such thoughtful questions though, I appreciate it.  It's always important to make certain that plans are fully considered :)

So glad that you have these items covered!  Given everything you have posted it seems like you are doing your best to accommodate everyone while maintaining your budget.  With your posts here and on the other board it sounds like you have come up with a fairly comprehensive menu.  Good luck in the remainder of your planning.

A few thoughts:

So glad that you have these items covered!  Given everything you have posted it seems like you are doing your best to accommodate everyone while maintaining your budget.  With your posts here and on the other board it sounds like you have come up with a fairly comprehensive menu.  Good luck in the remainder of your planning.

Thank you!  Also you didn't say if you were on Team DIY Sammich or Team Premade :smiley:

A few thoughts:

Thank you!  Also you didn't say if you were on Team DIY Sammich or Team Premade :smiley:
    I did :), but its cool.  I am totally on team make-your-own...everyone in my family likes things differently so why try to force everyone into a single mold when your making up your own trays. 

A few thoughts:

I did :), but its cool.  I am totally on team make-your-own...everyone in my family likes things differently so why try to force everyone into a single mold when your making up your own trays. 
    Oh gosh. Sorry!!  Thanks again for commenting