Chit Chat

Work vent thread!

13»

Re: Work vent thread!

• kaos16 said:

So every fourth week is extra crazy at my job for the secretaries at my job.  There is certain paperwork that has to be done by the Friday of that week, and there is a rush by the attorneys to get cases indicted by the end of the week, etc.  Basically everything given to the ladies this week is needed ASAP and can't wait until Monday.  This week is particularly crazy because they are down a secretary, and there are two in a different area who aren't covering their work, so the main girls are picking up that work too.  There are three secretaries that do all of my work for me.  They are awesome.  I could tell that this week has been extra stressful for them so at lunch I ran to the grocery store and grabbed them each a little bouquet of flowers and wrote them a note to let them know that they are appreciated.

From my office I can hear that chatter in their room (they sit together).  A secretary from a different area, who doesn't do any work for me, came down and was b*itching that they got flowers and she didn't get any.  She even pulled a "must be nice." 

I'm annoyed. . . . .you try to do something to brighten someone's day, and someone like that makes it awkward.

I wish I worked for you now!!!  That was super nice of you do and it is always appreciated.  I'm sure those other ladies just rolled their eyes at her once she walked away.
  • My Eddie Haskel-like employee can only work from 12-2 tomorrow because he has to see his probation officer.   I swear I've never known anyone who uses their guy probation officer as an excuse as often as he does.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    My Eddie Haskel-like employee can only work from 12-2 tomorrow because he has to see his probation officer.   I swear I've never known anyone who uses their guy probation officer as an excuse as often as he does.
    Wonder if the PO knows how often he "can't work" I would have thought the officer would actually want him working. 
  • kaos16 said:

So every fourth week is extra crazy at my job for the secretaries at my job.  There is certain paperwork that has to be done by the Friday of that week, and there is a rush by the attorneys to get cases indicted by the end of the week, etc.  Basically everything given to the ladies this week is needed ASAP and can't wait until Monday.  This week is particularly crazy because they are down a secretary, and there are two in a different area who aren't covering their work, so the main girls are picking up that work too.  There are three secretaries that do all of my work for me.  They are awesome.  I could tell that this week has been extra stressful for them so at lunch I ran to the grocery store and grabbed them each a little bouquet of flowers and wrote them a note to let them know that they are appreciated.

From my office I can hear that chatter in their room (they sit together).  A secretary from a different area, who doesn't do any work for me, came down and was b*itching that they got flowers and she didn't get any.  She even pulled a "must be nice." 

I'm annoyed. . . . .you try to do something to brighten someone's day, and someone like that makes it awkward.

Well, I could see her being jealous. If you're the manager/supervisor for the girls you got flowers for, then I don't think it's anything against you; she's just wishing you were her boss too. If not, and you just got them this because of the help they gave you, despite not working directly under you, then yeah, she needs to get over it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2017
    lyndausvi said:
    My Eddie Haskel-like employee can only work from 12-2 tomorrow because he has to see his probation officer.   I swear I've never known anyone who uses their guy probation officer as an excuse as often as he does.
    Wonder if the PO knows how often he "can't work" I would have thought the officer would actually want him working. 
    Update.   His "stupid" friends had an altercation and were kicked out of a bar.  He tried to defuse the situation and ended up being talked to by the cops.  He admitted he had some coke in his pocket.  Then they ran his name and, well.  Apparently the all the times he couldn't work because he had to see his PO and straighten out the warrant out for his arrest he didn't actually take care of anything.  Surprise, surprise.  He was arrest for controlled substance and the outstanding warrant.

Oh and last week we had a 4 day manhunt for 2 guys who robbed a gas station.    It's not rumored he allowed those guys stay with him for 2 nights.  I really hope that is not the case.  There are 4 other guys who work at the restaurant who live there too.  I would hate for them to get caught up in that mess.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated.