Wedding Woes

Week 7 *sigh*

Re: Week 7 *sigh*

• My husband joked the other day about how I felt having Tomi on "my side" since I am pro-choice. I couldn't believe she took that stance but it made me chuckle. Now I'm really laughing since The Blaze suspended her for using her "free speech". 
  • Omg that ban on electronics is the dumbest thing. And really, like an actual terrorist couldn't contact who he needed to on a cell phone? It's just a big giant fuck you to foreign airlines. It doesn't accomplish anything else. 

I dont feel feel bad about Tomi at all except for the fact that it shows just how much conservatives hate women's bodies and their personal choices.  But Tomi? She's such a sell out. She probably doesn't believe half the shit she says. She just wants to eventually land a fox anchor job and she's selling her soul to do it 

• I can't stand Tomi but am glad a conservative finally took the true conservative side on abortion.  She won't be suspended for long; most people only know The Blaze because of her.

I heard an interesting POV on the electronics ban that I haven't had time to delve into yet for accuracy or efficiency.  Apparently, Al Qaida has been trying to manufacture a bomb that looks like a laptop and there's been enough chatter that they're close so the US Gov is taking this measure to ensure people can't carry laptops onto planes from airports that don't screen carry-ons.  If it's true, it just means the next step is a bomb that looks like a laptop that you can detonate from inside the cabin, and my first thought is that if you can make a bomb look like a laptop detonating it from afar probably isn't that hard. 
  • I can't stand Tomi but am glad a conservative finally took the true conservative side on abortion.  She won't be suspended for long; most people only know The Blaze because of her.

I heard an interesting POV on the electronics ban that I haven't had time to delve into yet for accuracy or efficiency.  Apparently, Al Qaida has been trying to manufacture a bomb that looks like a laptop and there's been enough chatter that they're close so the US Gov is taking this measure to ensure people can't carry laptops onto planes from airports that don't screen carry-ons.  If it's true, it just means the next step is a bomb that looks like a laptop that you can detonate from inside the cabin, and my first thought is that if you can make a bomb look like a laptop detonating it from afar probably isn't that hard. 
    They do screen carry ons though, at least they do out of the UAE.
    Plus it is only direct flights on Gulf owned airlines. If you had a bomb that looked like a laptop you could A. Take a flight with a lay over or B. Fly United or American. (Which no body wants to do because Emirates and Etihad Airlines are nicer). There is no extra security to fly on those airlines, you go though the same process as every other person on every other flight. It just seems like a way to try to force businesses and people to use an American owned airline instead of the preferred, for amenities and convenience, gulf owned airlines. Which I think will back fire as people stop wanting to go to the states since it is such a hassle. Our friends here, mostly from Australia and France, talk about how the US has dropped off their travel list.
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    I can't stand Tomi but am glad a conservative finally took the true conservative side on abortion.  She won't be suspended for long; most people only know The Blaze because of her.

Plus it is only direct flights on Gulf owned airlines. If you had a bomb that looked like a laptop you could A. Take a flight with a lay over or B. Fly United or American. (Which no body wants to do because Emirates and Etihad Airlines are nicer). There is no extra security to fly on those airlines, you go though the same process as every other person on every other flight. It just seems like a way to try to force businesses and people to use an American owned airline instead of the preferred, for amenities and convenience, gulf owned airlines. Which I think will back fire as people stop wanting to go to the states since it is such a hassle. Our friends here, mostly from Australia and France, talk about how the US has dropped off their travel list.
    Tourism is already suffering. We talk shit about a lot of countries, but a lot of countries already saw us as "dangerous" before this election hit. Although the mass murdering of children doesn't seem to affect Americans (aka the huge conservative NRA base), it affected people in a lot of different countries. Add the ban to it and people have increasingly fewer incentives to visit. 

• levioosa said:
    Fucking RAAAAGGEEEEE

http://huff.to/2o17y68
    I wonder how much taxpayer money Texas spends sending bullshit laws to the Supreme Court.

Washington Post had a similar take.  Their position is that it's more retaliatory against Gulf airlines that receive subsidies from their governments, and not safety, for the exact reasons you outlined.
  • levioosa said:
    Fucking RAAAAGGEEEEE

I wonder how much taxpayer money Texas spends sending bullshit laws to the Supreme Court.
    Well considering we tax the poor more, what does it matter/sarcasm. 
  • I mean, it's like they purposely want to be the bad guys and have no qualms about it. 

AP Exclusive: Manafort had plan to benefit Putin government  

https://apnews.com/122ae0b5848345faa88108a03de40c5a
  • WTF!? Did you guys see the Anti-LGBTQ law passed in Kentucky? :(
    Yeah, nothing like aiding and abetting school bullying, amiright?!
    Yeah, nothing like aiding and abetting school bullying, amiright?!
    And now even the teachers could be included! Include everyone, except those part of LGBTQ ...
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    levioosa said:
    Fucking RAAAAGGEEEEE

You know society has gone insane when LAWS are passed that allow a person's doctor to LIE TO THEM.

In other industries, that's called fraud.  But in the medical industry that's called "protecting the sanctity of life".

And where's the companion law that allows doctors to lie to male patients that they really did perform a vasectomy...except they really didn't, haha.  Because, you know, "protecting the sanctity of life".  I realize that is not quite the same, but it was the best analogy I could come up with.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2017
    levioosa said:
    Fucking RAAAAGGEEEEE

You know society has gone insane when LAWS are passed that allow a person's doctor to LIE TO THEM.

In other industries, that's called fraud.  But in the medical industry that's called "protecting the sanctity of life".

And where's the companion law that allows doctors to lie to male patients that they really did perform a vasectomy...except they really didn't, haha.  Because, you know, "protecting the sanctity of life".  I realize that is not quite the same, but it was the best analogy I could come up with.

Why don't they also see that this is going to die when even conservatives pull a lawsuit on the doctor because he's keeping information related to the treatment of her child?

I've made no qualms about being pro-life (but I am anti bullshit laws that do nothing to help the children who are conceived or that punish women for things like miscarriages).   If the argument can be made that this law protects the child then by extension, the child has a life and rights and then the pregnant mother should be granted certain information BECAUSE THAT'S HER FUCKING CHILD - just as I'm owed information when I take my kids to the doctor.

And I'd be just as irritated if you didn't tell me something about the baby growing in my belly as if you didn't tell me something about the kids sleeping upstairs in my house.  And if a doctor just needs to say "I did it in the interest of the child," I just wait for the lawsuit that clearly proves the doctor did it in the interest of saving his ass. 

ETA.   I'm not pregnant.    

• It's not like doctors are the only people allowed to lie, sheesh.  Teachers can deny evolution, financial advisers can manipulate you for their own profit and as long as he says it in quotations, the President can say whatever he wants. 

• So you know the heath care bill is terrible when everyone, including the damn Koch brothers are against it. Tomorrow is not going to be a good day for Paul Ryan. 

http://time.com/4710418/koch-brothers-donald-trump-republican-health-care/
  • I'm watching Samantha Bee right now.   I'm going to pee myself because she's so damn fucking funny. 
  • banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    Fucking RAAAAGGEEEEE

Why don't they also see that this is going to die when even conservatives pull a lawsuit on the doctor because he's keeping information related to the treatment of her child?

I've made no qualms about being pro-life (but I am anti bullshit laws that do nothing to help the children who are conceived or that punish women for things like miscarriages).   If the argument can be made that this law protects the child then by extension, the child has a life and rights and then the pregnant mother should be granted certain information BECAUSE THAT'S HER FUCKING CHILD - just as I'm owed information when I take my kids to the doctor.

And I'd be just as irritated if you didn't tell me something about the baby growing in my belly as if you didn't tell me something about the kids sleeping upstairs in my house.  And if a doctor just needs to say "I did it in the interest of the child," I just wait for the lawsuit that clearly proves the doctor did it in the interest of saving his ass. 

I agree with this; and I'm pretty much as pro-choice as you can get. I don't understand how a doctor can morally, ethically, or legally withhold this information about a fetus. This has huge implications about how parents prepare for the actual life of the child once it's born (if that's what they choose to do)?! How is withholding information that can make the parents better equipped to handle the needs of their child in the "best interests of the child". 

I honestly don't see how this passed, even in Texas. 
    Particularly now with Healthcare turning into more of a "pay as you go" program I cannot see this law lasting.    

I feel so bad for a couple who would have made alternate financial arrangements and plans of care if only their doctor said something.  
  • mrsconn23 said:

And I am pro-choice...however, I am more pro-let's try to educate and prevent unintended pregnancies through comprehensive sex-ed (including the emotional aspects of sex) and liberal access to birth control and providing abortion as *one* option to unintended pregnancy.  Basically, let's stop treating sexual health like it's 'dirty' and be realistic about the information that is necessary starting when kids are in Jr High.  Because seriously, if we stop letting puritanical assholes control everything then maybe we'll have less women getting pregnant overall when they're not ready to be pregnant.  

• Another quirky thing with this new TX law is, if I were a pregnant woman in TX, I'd be getting ALL UP INTO my doctor's political views on abortion.  Which would normally not be any of my business.  But now TX law is making it my business.

And where does the lying end?  If I asked my doctor, "If it is discovered that my fetus has a major birth defect, would you mislead or lie to me about that?"  Does he/she have to tell me the truth about their views, so I have the option to find another doctor?

Or do they push a special button and secret conservative ninjas drop from the ceiling and whisk me to a "maternity farm" where I am forced to stay until giving birth.  Just in case.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Another quirky thing with this new TX law is, if I were a pregnant woman in TX, I'd be getting ALL UP INTO my doctor's political views on abortion.  Which would normally not be any of my business.  But now TX law is making it my business.

And where does the lying end?  If I asked my doctor, "If it is discovered that my fetus has a major birth defect, would you mislead or lie to me about that?"  Does he/she have to tell me the truth about their views, so I have the option to find another doctor?

Or do they push a special button and secret conservative ninjas drop from the ceiling and whisk me to a "maternity farm" where I am forced to stay until giving birth.  Just in case.

And what if he's just an asshole?? 

I dislike the concept that a physician at any time reserves the right to withhold medical information from me about ME or MY CHILD.

This wouldn't work in reverse.   It's a malpractice suit if Dr. McFuckFace found out that he had terminal cancer but HIS doctor told him that he didn't want to tell him.

And in states where assisted suicide is a thing - is that the next step??    

DH and I closed on our home 2 weeks before Chiquita was born and we moved in 5 days before she was born.  For 4 months, we payed two mortgages because our condo was vacant with no one renting.   We made it work and any issues we had with Chiquita were minor.

If DD was born with a medical issue that I found out my OB/GYN hid from me I'd find the best lawyer around to sue for malpractice.  

I think this is my business actually.  If you are my OBGYN and refuse to perform abortions, I want to know.  It may not be legal in Michisssippi to lie to me (yet), but that wouldn't necessarily stop a doctor from coercing you.

I already confirmed my OBGYN works in a secular and Catholic hospital.  If I do become pregnant, I absolutely plan to ask her about how and when she advises patients in D&C situations. I'm 37 and therefore "geriatric" and I want to make sure the doctor I'm trusting my and my potential child's life with is a doctor who will support any decision I make.
  • Thank god your baby is okay and you didn't have to make those decisions @southernbelle0915.  But that scenario is exactly why I want to know in advance.  

I like to have answers and procedures before things become emotional.  When I tested for the BRCA gene I researched all of my options before my results came back so I knew my decision would be borne of logic and research.

I have a cousin who has to make a separate appointment to have her tubes tied because she delivered in a Catholic hospital.  She didn't even know her doctor wouldn't do it until after she was pregnant and had to find another one to do the procedure.  No thanks,  you're either on board or you're out.