Wedding Woes

Wednesday!!

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited April 2017 in Wedding Woes
It's technically my day off, but I'm working a couple hours of OT.   I was going to get some running around done, but we're at risk for severe weather all day.  So, I guess I'll get some laundry done, maybe read a little, and nap on the couch?  It will be tough, but I think I can make it work. ;) 

Three things for this morning. 

1. In super sad news, my sister had to put her dog down yesterday.  This is the sister who's hub is deployed.  It really sucks.  My dad was there with her and my nephew.  I think my other sister and I are going to get a memorial stone.  

2. DH got an offer (finally!), but I think we're going to turn it down.  This process has been a little too drawn-out and there seems to be some shady shit afoot, so even though it's more $$...it's not enough to take on some BS that may make him hate life at work (again...already been down that road and no thank you). 

3. I found someone to go with me to the show tomorrow night (after striking out, a lot.  Adulting and responsibilities are lame.) and it's one of my friends that I don't see a whole lot, but we always have a good time together.  I was stressing out about finding someone to go with and have a good time.  So yay.  

Re: Wednesday!!

• I'm sorry about your sister's dog.  :(  She has a lot on her plate right now, doesn't she? 

Yay for offer, but boo for shadiness.  Not worth the drama.  And yay for friends and shows!

It's been a little hectic here, plus I have had major TK posting issues.  Monday, I was rear-ended (AGAIN!) on the way home.  UGH.  I'm fine, bumper is cracked (AGAIN).  It should be pretty straightforward (cars in front of me stopped, I stopped, guy behind me did not stop; he was ticketed for failure to reduce speed), but I'm still dealing with insurance etc.

Picked up DS's pants yesterday, and the hems were unfinished. :O  Should have read the fine print--I was in a hurry, my local Nordstrom had them, so I did the buy online/pickup in person thing without reading through the product details.  They would have hemmed them, but we're leaving the day after tomorrow.  So I found a tailor, picked up the kids, and stopped in on our way to Wooz's musical.  There were so many girls there getting their prom dresses altered, but they got us in and out, and DS's pants will be ready tomorrow.  Ordered CFA through their app, picked it up on the way to school, and got everyone fed and to the musical on time.  And it was cute!  And Wooz had fun. 

Today is Target and maybe storms, plus we just got an assistant PM, so I've been training her in addition to the usual.  I could use some Knotting time, but I'm not sure it's going to happen...
  • Happy Hump Day. That really sucks about your sister @mrsconn23, having her H deployed is hard enough, but to have that happen. All the good vibes. 

Working half day then heading out to the Windy City. Looking forward to all the pizza, good coffee, and catching up with colleagues. Whenever I pack for a work trip I always feel like I'm forgetting things, even when I make a list. 
  • BOOO  re: getting rear-ended @Heffalump!!!  What a headache.  

And yeah, my sister has been going through a lot.  I am relieved, in a sense, that the dog stuff is off her plate.  It was very stressful the last few months dealing with it (plus the $$$ she was spending on the dog's health issues).  Even though it is awful, she was having a hard time having a sick dog.  :(  My boys are so sweet though.  Both DefConn and the kiddo were really worried about my older nephew and were asking if he was OK.  <3 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    BOOO  re: getting rear-ended @Heffalump!!!  What a headache.  

And yeah, my sister has been going through a lot.  I am relieved, in a sense, that the dog stuff is off her plate.  It was very stressful the last few months dealing with it (plus the $$$ she was spending on the dog's health issues).  Even though it is awful, she was having a hard time having a sick dog.  :(  My boys are so sweet though.  Both DefConn and the kiddo were really worried about my older nephew and were asking if he was OK.  <3 
    Are they in the same area as you? That's super sweet of your kids. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    BOOO  re: getting rear-ended @Heffalump!!!  What a headache.  

Are they in the same area as you? That's super sweet of your kids. 
    We are all in the 'burbs of Indy.  My parents and younger sister live NW of the city, I'm pretty much directly west (slightly NW), and then my older sister is on the southside.  My parents live with my older sister during the week right now to help her with the kids while BIL is deployed. 
  • @mrsconn23 I'm so sorry about your sister's dog. It's good your dad and nephew were there with her. And your kids are so sweet to be concerned about your nephew's wellbeing. When does her H come home from his deployment?

@Heffalump that really sucks that you got rear-ended! And that you have to deal with the insurance hassle on top of it. 

Typical boring Wednesday for me - couple of meetings, nothing major. I did just realize that because I was binge watching a couple of episodes of Big Little Lies last night, I missed Trial & Error - so now I have last night's episodes to look forward to when I get home tonight!

FedEx didn't deliver the crib mattress yesterday - which was good considering the intense rain we got all day. It's allegedly being delivered today. It's still a little drizzly out though so I'm hoping it's wrapped up and sealed really well. 
  • He comes home sometime in July @sparklepants41. They're hoping for a firm date soon, but I don't think she'll really have a good idea until next month at the earliest and that will still be tentative. 
  • That's sad about your sister's dog!  Losing a beloved pet is so hard, so having to go through that while her husband is deployed must be difficult.  I like memorial stone idea.

I've been super tired and achy lately.  I got a gym membership with a friend, and I think my body is getting used to it still.  I've been running pretty consistently for the last 5 years, but I've never lifted weights like this before.  Admittedly, I'm really lost at the moment, and am spending a lot of time reading articles.

We're buying a super fancy Dyson dust buster, and I'm super excited.  Our vacuum is a roomba, which is magic, but it has no attachments.  We have three flights of stairs in our house, and I've been squeegee-ing them, which always results in enough hair/fur to build a puppy-friend for the dog.  It's bloody time consuming, though.

• @Heffalump sorry about the car accident. Insurance is a PITA. I was hit by a drunk driver on St. Patrick's Day 4 years ago. I filed with my insurance and let them deal with hers. It was much easier that way.

@mrsconn23 sounds like you're raising good kiddos.

@joney I want a roomba so bad. My living, dining, kitchen, and hall are hardwood and we have 2 long haired cats and a boxer who sheds if you even think about touching him and we have a 1 year old and a 2 month old so I never have the time or energy to vacuum. 

Work is slow right now. I've got some mail to send and then I'm basically done for the day but will have to stay taking space. 
  • sorry to hear about the dog @mrsconn23 and the rear-ending @Heffalump

I'm still sick with a sore throat and it shows no signs of getting better. Also have swollen neck and then I slept awful and I got a crick in my neck so I can't move it. I really just want to lay down and watch TV all day at home but that isn't happening.

Work is about to get busy and I don't have the motivation for it. Can I go back on maternity leave? 
  • @mrsconn23  sorry to hear about your sister's dog :( I think she'll like the memorial stone.
    Some jobs more money =/= better

@Heffalump dammit people! Stop hitting her bumper!!

@charlotte989875  enjoy some pizza for me :) I'm not a huge pizza fan but when you're in a city known for it, kind of a requisite ;)

M has an interview today. We're not holding our breath because it's only a year contract. I get a job is a job, and he's going to see if there's possibility for being kept permanently of course, but idk. I don't like the uncertainty about him being off again in a year if he gets it.
    We'll see. It's good interview practice at least :)

Tonight M is going to his buddy's place for poker night, so I'm going to be cleaning. I've been wanting to take the couch cushions off and thoroughly vacuum the couch for a bit. It's a spot that gets dirty so quick! I also should throw some couch cushion covers in the wash ....
    I'm also dry-swiffering the floors because I plan on mopping this weekend.

Last night tried to edit a video, my computer crashed. The old laptop. May have lost the important part of the video I was editing. *grumblesigh*
  • kvruns said:
    sorry to hear about the dog @mrsconn23 and the rear-ending @Heffalump

I'm still sick with a sore throat and it shows no signs of getting better. Also have swollen neck and then I slept awful and I got a crick in my neck so I can't move it. I really just want to lay down and watch TV all day at home but that isn't happening.

Work is about to get busy and I don't have the motivation for it. Can I go back on maternity leave? 
    Yes. You have my permission <3 Take @DrillSergeantCat  with you, she deserves more time off too!
  • Bummer Heffa! Glad everyone was okay though.
    @mrsconn23 I am sorry about your sister and newphews dog. Your boys are cute though. :)
    @MissKittyDanger I will keep my fingers crossed for M.

I went riding this morning. Still not 100% on this trainer but I am only on my 3rd lesson there so we'll see. Then friend and I went shopping nearby, pretty much just because someone told us there were a lot of nice restaurants and we wanted to see. Where we stopped happened to have Ladies Brunch every Wednesday so our whole meal was 50% off. 

I managed to pick up a little when I got home but we need a vacuum desperately. Tonight we have no plans. Tomorrow night friend and I are going dancing. Friday there is an expat brunch with like 25 people from DH's work. Saturday we might go to a farmers market. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    I was seeing red this morning.

Initially DH and I had an appt last Tuesday with a new tax person.  She had some questions to look into.  Fine.  We had another appointment Friday  night. Again, she wanted us to call DH's place of employment to verify something.  Even though i knew the answer, I did.  We got back to her Monday.  She left a VM on my work phone after 5 yesterday so when I got in today I found out that now she has to get in touch with tech support on how to enter it.  Oh, and they probably won't hear from them before Friday.

Nope.

You've withheld my tax filing long enough. I am now calling a bunch of places hoping to get in tonight.  I am livid to say the least.  She even has his tax forms from last year to see how it was entered with the other company.

Sorry about your sisters dog @mrsconn23

Good luck job vibes to all who need it!

edit: words and also wanted to add, the tax person calls Illinois elle-inois.  You LIVE in Illinois.  Call it fucking Illinois!!!

• @DrillSergeantCat it's amazing how that fur adds up!  I think the only thing our animals do when we're gone is rub themselves ferociously across all surfaces they can possibly find.

@MissKittyDanger yay for interviews, boo for temporary contracts
  • Joney said:
    @DrillSergeantCat it's amazing how that fur adds up!  I think the only thing our animals do when we're gone is rub themselves ferociously across all surfaces they can possibly find.

@MissKittyDanger yay for interviews, boo for temporary contracts
    I agree!

Penny is a short hair but I constantly find dust bunnies of her fur and not always Angel's - even though he's a long haired cat.

WTF
  • So sorry to hear about sister's dog @mrsconn23.  I'm glad she has all of you around for support

@Heffalump - ugh, accidents and car insurance issues suck.

There is fuckery afoot at work.  I started the year in a work group of 8, March 1st, 5 people were transferred to another supervisor and our group of 3 was moved to an office down the hall.  Two weeks ago we were told that we would continue to work in our current location but would be supervised by another, larger department.  Last week our current supervisor was told there was not enough work for a person with her degree and her job was being eliminated.  They would probably create a new position at a lower level for our work unit.  She is searching for another position within the institution.  Apparently this has been discussed in our department for almost 2 years and NO ONE bothered to let our area know what was coming.  I have applied for another position but we'll see what happens.  
  • @CharmedPam Well ... time to smack a bitch!

@DrillSergeantCat  Who wouldn't with a snuggler like that? :)
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    @CharmedPam Well ... time to smack a bitch!

@DrillSergeantCat  Who wouldn't with a snuggler like that? :)
    Seriously.  And then I call them to ask to pick up my paperwork I get "She's not in until 4:00 p.m.  She know where your packets are".

Well, I have an appointment when someone new at 3:00 so that's not going to work.  I suggest calling her and asking her where they are.  

Funny story, when I first called them and asked for a railroad tax expert (AND DIDN'T GET ONE!) the receptionist passed along the message to her that I was SO nice.  When we first met she's like "my coworker was right. You guys are So nice!"

well, we're not anymore.

• @Heffalump sorry about the car accident. Insurance is a PITA. I was hit by a drunk driver on St. Patrick's Day 4 years ago. I filed with my insurance and let them deal with hers. It was much easier that way.

@joney I want a roomba so bad. My living, dining, kitchen, and hall are hardwood and we have 2 long haired cats and a boxer who sheds if you even think about touching him and we have a 1 year old and a 2 month old so I never have the time or energy to vacuum. 

Work is slow right now. I've got some mail to send and then I'm basically done for the day but will have to stay taking space. 
    I love my roomba. We also have long hair cat and a dog that sheds like crazy and running that thing every other day has been a wonder. So much less time negotiating who is actually going to do the vacuuming we both hate.

I love my roomba. We also have long hair cat and a dog that sheds like crazy and running that thing every other day has been a wonder. So much less time negotiating who is actually going to do the vacuuming we both hate.
    Can I get a roomba for hardwood floors AND carpet?  I'm 90% hardwood and 10% carpet/area rug...which one do you suggest?

• edited April 2017
    @Heffalump sorry about the car accident. Insurance is a PITA. I was hit by a drunk driver on St. Patrick's Day 4 years ago. I filed with my insurance and let them deal with hers. It was much easier that way.

Can I get a roomba for hardwood floors AND carpet?  I'm 90% hardwood and 10% carpet/area rug...which one do you suggest?
    This is what we have. We went with iLife's pet and hair/allergy model because it works on hardwood and short hair rugs. https://www.amazon.com/ILIFE-Robotic-Vacuum-Cleaner-Allergies/dp/B01BAYXLI2/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1491404167&sr=1-4&keywords=irobot+roomba+pet+hair

ETA: Definitely cheaper than we expected and we've had a really good experience. We have to clean it out every other time we use it, but it handles the rug/floor transition pretty well. 
  • @mrsconn23 I'm sorry about your sister. 

@Heffalump that sucks about your car. I've been hit like five times at stop signs/red lights and I don't understand why. People need to pay attention. 

Today is a regular Wednesday. Gym and then school. At least it's the last class for the professor who makes me want to scream. I just have to make it through today. 

• This is what we have. We went with iLife's pet and hair/allergy model because it works on hardwood and short hair rugs. https://www.amazon.com/ILIFE-Robotic-Vacuum-Cleaner-Allergies/dp/B01BAYXLI2/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1491404167&sr=1-4&keywords=irobot+roomba+pet+hair

ETA: Definitely cheaper than we expected and we've had a really good experience. We have to clean it out every other time we use it, but it handles the rug/floor transition pretty well. 
    Sold!  No, literally.  Just bought it.  Now I really need my tax return :) 

• This is what we have. We went with iLife's pet and hair/allergy model because it works on hardwood and short hair rugs. https://www.amazon.com/ILIFE-Robotic-Vacuum-Cleaner-Allergies/dp/B01BAYXLI2/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1491404167&sr=1-4&keywords=irobot+roomba+pet+hair

Sold!  No, literally.  Just bought it.  Now I really need my tax return :) 
    wow that's a lot cheaper than the Samsung one we have. Ours annoys me because you have to pick up so much stuff before it goes or it gets stuck - including one rug that it just can't figure out. I love the concept of having one but it isn't quite what I hope
  • @mrsconn23,  I'm sorry to hear about your sister's dog.  I'm sure that's the last thing she wanted on her plate at this point in time.  July isn't too far away, hopefully that time will go by quickly.

We are going to have to file for an extension on our taxes this year, because my company royally ucked fup my W2s because of all the reimbursement/withholding for my relocation expenses.  I knew, when I got my original W2s, something looked really wrong, but no one acknowledged in the payroll office when I called (repeatedly).  Two months ago now (!!!!) I got an email stating that yes, there WAS a mistake and it was a BIG mistake, so they were redoing my W2s and mailing them out "in the coming weeks."  Well, about 2 weeks ago I called, because I STILL hadn't seen the new docs, and they said, "They should be mailed out any day, they'll also be available to you in your payroll account online."

NOTHING.  And we are down to the wire now, and I fully do not expect to see my corrected forms in time.

My company is doing a "structured reorg" and my office got merged with another, and now I'm going from an awesome office director to the same one I was so glad to not be working for any more.  I am not terribly pleased.

I am shaking my fist at everyone.

There was something good I wanted to share, but I can't remember what it was, my brain is so scattered at the moment.  I did spend an hour researching the etymology of the "C" word last night after it was used in an episode of "Feud: Bette and Joan", because it never fails to amaze me how language evolves and changes and a word that was benign in one century could have so much power and sway in another.  Language is amazing.  Words have so much power.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @mrsconn23, sorry to hear about your sister's puppers!

@Heffalump, I'm "arghing" for you.  I'm glad it was a minor accident, but even those are a huge PITA. 

@CharmedPam, so frustrating!  I hope you all can finally get your taxes worked out without starting from scratch somewhere else.

@MissKittyDanger, Good luck to M on his interview.  But 1-year contact job.  Eeehh.  I got laid off about 7 years ago.  Went to an interview for a company that had opened an office in NOLA, JUST for this one project.  Of course, one of my questions was, "So, as you know I was just laid off because work slowed, is this position only going to be for the 2-3 years while the contract is going on?"  The response was "Oh no!  SO much opportunity in NOLA.  Blah, blah, blah."  And I was laid 2 1/2 years later when the project was coming to a close.  Sigh.  Hindsight being 20/20, I probably would have still taken the job, but meh.

Update on my kaput HVAC unit.  I called the tenant last night and braced myself for her tirade.  But I was pleasantly surprised!  She was very understanding when I told her I wasn't replacing the unit, but was going to put in window a/c units instead.

I need FIVE of those bad boys, one of them being a larger size.  I blew up Craig's List last night and e-mailed 9 different people who had ads for window units, lol.  Not as much luck as I'd expected :(.  So far, I only have picking up two "smalls" set up.  New ones for the sizes I need are going to run $129 (5,000 BTU) and $300 (10,000 BTU).  So I'm really hoping for magic and I can at least pick up the "big" at a used price. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Update:
    M said he rocked the interview :)
    Position could become permanent and they would like to make it permanent, but the budget has to be able to work with it. Once they have the budget, it would be permanent - at the moment it's 1 year contract.

He'll know by Friday. The drive there is maayyyybeeee 10 mins from our place.
    Wooohoooo! Keep us all posted!! I will keep my fingers crossed! And his new commute would be a breeze!