Wedding Woes

13 Reasons Why

I just started it last night and finished tape 3. Where are you and what do you think so far? Did anyone else read the book?

Re: 13 Reasons Why

• I read the book.

There is a huge detail difference I've mentioned before but it's in a good way. In the book, Clay goes through the tapes in one night while biking around following the map.
    Tapes are the same, but I like the fact they're showing repercussions of Hannah's suicide when people realize what others did, etc etc.

I don't wanna spoil too much, but either tape 9 or tape 10 has an advisory on it.
  • So are you finished with the series?
  • The netflix one, not yet. I believe I'm starting Tape 11 tonight
  • It's been so long since I've read the book that I don't really remember what's happening so that's good. 

• I binge watched this over the weekend, and had a good cry.

I like the way certain things are portrayed because it had an air of realism to it.  I like how they showed subtle micro aggressions that seem really insignificant, but once it's all added together, the result is pretty horrific.  I like the rape myths, rape culture and slut shaming it portrayed.

There were things I didn't like purely from a writing PoV.  I didn't find the meticulous audio tape story and wit to be particularly consistent with someone on the brink of suicide.  I mean, that would have needed a lot of editing and planning, and it wasn't interrupted with incoherent sobbing.
  • Joney said:
    I binge watched this over the weekend, and had a good cry.

I like the way certain things are portrayed because it had an air of realism to it.  I like how they showed subtle micro aggressions that seem really insignificant, but once it's all added together, the result is pretty horrific.  I like the rape myths, rape culture and slut shaming it portrayed.

There were things I didn't like purely from a writing PoV.  I didn't find the meticulous audio tape story and wit to be particularly consistent with someone on the brink of suicide.  I mean, that would have needed a lot of editing and planning, and it wasn't interrupted with incoherent sobbing.
    That's actually a question the author had in an interview, apparently that's not a consistent thing with everyone who plans their suicide. Idk how true that is, so it's hard to say.
  • Ooh. Do you know what interview?

I don't know a lot about statistics behind suicide, and what falls under the realm of normal, especially when it comes to suicide notes and the like, but I did find it all to be more of a plot device than borne from reality.  But, it definitely hit on some important themes that I think other teen dramas really glossed over in the past.
  • @Joney this is closest to what I found before, I can't find the original link. I think because the Netflix show came out, a lot of new interviews are popping up:
    http://ew.com/books/2017/03/31/thirteen-reasons-why-jay-asher-netflix-tv-show/
  • I watched the whole thing. I finished last night. I didn't read the book, but man, the show it me in all the feels. 

My brother has been suicidal at times in the past. I saw so much of him in Hannah. Her likeability, active social life, and ability to seem like nothing was "wrong" reminded me so much of my brother. Thankfully, he got help. But he did cut for a few years. The last episode made me boohoo. The whole series made me realize that I could have been a member of a family who lost someone to suicide.

Yeah, the whole tape thing was a little unrealistic, but it told a story. It really made me stop and think about how I treat people, and it reminded me that one small act of kindness could change the way someone sees their worth. 

• I binge-watched it in 2 days. I wish I had known long ago that it was a book b/c I definitely would have been interested in reading it!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I finished two more episodes last night. I'm on 6 now. Some of the stuff that detracts from the show for me are the age of the actors, bad costuming/sfx, and unrealistic situations. I know the whole tape thing is pretty unrealistic, but then lets add the rich kid has a pool house stocked with liquor that his parents let him have free reign of and a clerk who hands over beer to a kid knowing he's under age. Clay's head wound is so obvious that I think they bought a kit at the party store. The girl in episode 5 who tried to take blame (credit?) for the photo was wearing a wig so bad that it must have been purchased next to the gash kit. Mostly, though, Tony and the girl in the library who works in the coffee shop are covered in more tattoos than is normal for a sophomore in high school. It just makes me roll my eyes.
  • I finished two more episodes last night. I'm on 6 now. Some of the stuff that detracts from the show for me are the age of the actors, bad costuming/sfx, and unrealistic situations. I know the whole tape thing is pretty unrealistic, but then lets add the rich kid has a pool house stocked with liquor that his parents let him have free reign of and a clerk who hands over beer to a kid knowing he's under age. Clay's head wound is so obvious that I think they bought a kit at the party store. The girl in episode 5 who tried to take blame (credit?) for the photo was wearing a wig so bad that it must have been purchased next to the gash kit. Mostly, though, Tony and the girl in the library who works in the coffee shop are covered in more tattoos than is normal for a sophomore in high school. It just makes me roll my eyes.
    I knew people in my h.s who had at least one by 11th grade but it depends on the area of where the person lives. I think Tony's mostly started with gang related stuff tbh

Library/Coffee shop girl {aka Skye} I feel like her parents are low key about much. Or they're fake. I had a friend who would draw stuff like tatts all the time in diff areas.
  • I knew people in my h.s who had at least one by 11th grade but it depends on the area of where the person lives. I think Tony's mostly started with gang related stuff tbh

Library/Coffee shop girl {aka Skye} I feel like her parents are low key about much. Or they're fake. I had a friend who would draw stuff like tatts all the time in diff areas.
    Yeah...one or two. Skye has them on her neck. I know it's intended to make her look like a misfit, but it's distracting to me.
  • I knew people in my h.s who had at least one by 11th grade but it depends on the area of where the person lives. I think Tony's mostly started with gang related stuff tbh

Yeah...one or two. Skye has them on her neck. I know it's intended to make her look like a misfit, but it's distracting to me.
    Her look is important if the ending is how it is in the book.
  • @MissKittyDanger thanks for tracking that down, I started reading it and will finish soon!  

@thefanciestbeckler I'm really sorry to hear about your brother, and glad to hear he got help in the end. That's something I thought the show did really well, all the "warning signs" (for want of a better word) she was putting out were missed because they were so subtle to the outside world, and people have their own stuff going on.  I think a lot of people (and teenagers especially) who have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts can relate to people just dismissing their pain as being dramatic, so they don't know how to broach the subject and ask for help.  It was incredibly sad to get a glimpse of her internal dialogue via the tapes.

@DrillSergeantCat I definitely used his head gash to keep track of whether it was the present or the past, I sort of assumed that's why it was there.  Every teen drama needs the rich boy with the pool house who's inexplicitly buying booze even though he's clearly underage
  • @Joney yeah it's not so much that he has a head gash as you can see the outline of the latex used to apply it. I'm nitpicking the makeup department.
  • Joney Joney member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2017
    Oooh, I see. I'm not nearly as observant as you are
  • @Joney I'm sure there are more detailed interviews, but I could only find that that talked about Hannah's reaction during the tapes.
    When the book came out, there were more interviews about that so if you can find an interview from 2007-2010 that'll prob have it better
  • @Joney yeah it's not so much that he has a head gash as you can see the outline of the latex used to apply it. I'm nitpicking the makeup department.
    I'm not good with spfx makeup but it irked me too .... plus with the timeline, it should have somewhat healed up more.
    I'm not good with spfx makeup but it irked me too .... plus with the timeline, it should have somewhat healed up more.
    Right!
  • I thought the series was great! I was a bit irked by the fact that these high school kids were walking around covered in bruises half the time and people barely reacted. I can't imagine parents and teachers not freaking out about that when I was growing up. I also found it odd that the kids were all allowed to just leave whenever and go wherever, with little to no questioning from their parents. I understand that this is the case in a few households, but it seemed to be the norm there.
  • I thought the series was great! I was a bit irked by the fact that these high school kids were walking around covered in bruises half the time and people barely reacted. I can't imagine parents and teachers not freaking out about that when I was growing up. I also found it odd that the kids were all allowed to just leave whenever and go wherever, with little to no questioning from their parents. I understand that this is the case in a few households, but it seemed to be the norm there.
    Depends on the school. Given what Tony had said about his neighbourhood, I think they would assume the bruises are due to that.

It's unfortunate though.
  • I finished episode 9 last night. It was rough. 
    was that the one about Jessica?
    Yes. I just want to punch Justin in the balls for what he did.
    I wanna punch Bryce in the balls too. Tbh I think Justin wants to punch Justin for what happened
    I wanna punch Bryce in the balls too. Tbh I think Justin wants to punch Justin for what happened
    Totally not giving a pass to Bryce at all. 
    Makes me wonder if that's why Bryce seems too chummy-chummy with Jessica now and the reaction she kinda gives him .... and her behavior
    Makes me wonder if that's why Bryce seems too chummy-chummy with Jessica now and the reaction she kinda gives him .... and her behavior
    I just finished 10 and I thought Jessica had a different plan for that.  
  • I'm on episode 13 now and to say I'm pissed is an understatement.